Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Vance S. Burnham

Author Topic: Vance S. Burnham  (Read 6110 times)

wayne17

Vance S. Burnham
« on: Oct 09, 2006, 03:10 »
The world is a quieter place after the passing of Vance S. Burnham (10-4-2006) who, armed with a dry, sharp wit, was able to disarm with laughter.

A veterinary sciences graduate of the University of Maine and a veteran, he went on to become at various points, a science teacher, a tuna fisherman and finally, but not least, a Radiological Engineer and Site Coordinator at Yankee Rowe Atomic in Rowe, MA and the self-appointed CEO of Zoar Research and Development.

His hobbies were unique and varied, ranging from grinding his own lenses to make telescopes to loading his own rounds for the target shooting he enjoyed.  He also loved computers, cooking, optics, Amato’s Italian subs, building and flying kites, and generally anything to do with creating or building.  He played darts, recreationally and competitively.  He hated being late, and he always navigated with his GPS as he drove.  A collector of almost anything, he felt “It was better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.”  A steadfast lover of dogs, “Uncle Hotdog” was loved in return for equal parts affection and treats.  Not the biggest fan of snow or winter, he was happiest when he was warm and fishing. He loved gardening, until a late-May frost killed all of his hot pepper seedlings.  A closet romantic, Vance loved deeply in his own quiet way.

Incomparably unique and graced with his own indefinable style, he once used duct tape as a belt for his three piece suit.  Nicknamed “Mr. Wizard” by his co-workers and friends at Yankee, he was able to conjure up anything that might be required at anytime by anyone.

After a long and courageous struggle with cancer, he is now at peace, leaving behind uncountable good memories for those who knew and loved him.  He is survived by his wife of twenty-six years, Joan DeGusto, his father, Reuben Burnham of Newburyport, MA, his son and daughter-in-law, Travis and Chika Burnham of Portland, ME, his brother and his sister-in-law, Robert and Jane Burnham, his niece and nephew Jennifer and James Burnham, his grand-niece Astrid Burnham-Alouat, all of Newburyport, MA, his ex-wife, Leslie Spear of Spruce Head Island, ME and many other family members and friends.

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
Re: Vance S. Burnham
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2006, 03:59 »
This is truely sad news for all of us who had the privilege to know Vance. He was one of the sweetest, funniest guys on the planet. After reading this, my wife and I just sat around remembering Vance stories....the potato cannon....setting a source by the IPM's to "test the new Juniors reaction time"...leaving a few charged capacitors around for the "curious". You could just go on and on. You're right Wayne...the world is a quieter place, but it's a better one for Vance having been in it. Our condolences to his family and all his dear friends.
                Steve & Amanda
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

wayne17

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:16 »
I just want all to know that Vances' son wrote the words above. I thought it was great and asked to be able to post it here for his friends and aquaintences to know. Thanx. Wayne

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2006, 07:03 »
My condolences to his family. Vance was one of the true mental giants that I had worked with - he could find out the answer to about anything. I am a better person for the time I was at Rowe with him. Will fire off a potato to his memory....
Snake
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

caroljphillips@hotmail.co

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2006, 10:21 »
I was also privledged to have known Vance. My condolences to his family.
We should all take a little bit of Vance as we travel down the road of life.
Wayne can you post when the services will be?  I should be in the area.

CJP

kobster

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2006, 09:04 »
So sorry to hear the news of Vance's passing.  Didn't know him too long, but liked him from the begining of my short term at Rowe.  You're right Wayne, Vance is in a better place.  My condolences to his family, and all his friends at Rowe.   
                         Miss Ya all,  Gibbsy

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?