Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Background checks honeypot

Author Topic: Background checks  (Read 11722 times)

c parker

Background checks
« on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:02 »
Hey everyone. I'm 21 years old and I live in Northern Illinois. I'm in the process of trying to start a union Millwright apprenticeship. From a friend I know that already started his apprenticeship, a lot of the work you get is during the nuke plant shutdowns during the winter. He then went on to tell me that it's nearly impossible to work the shutdowns unless you have a squeeky clean record.

I have two speeding tickets 4 years ago, and I pled guilty to a misdemeanor (one stupid bar brawl) this last february. I don't drink, I'm mentally stable, and don't touch any drugs.

Am I going to be able to get on or will I be disqualified?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Background checks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2006, 11:49 »
The first key to getting your foot in the door is complete honesty while filling out the paperwork for your background check.  Don't think that by not putting information down that it won't be discovered because it will.  I've seen 4 or 5 people in the last 7 years either not be able to work at our plant or lose their jobs (new hires) due to incomplete or false information.  Up front and honest is the way to fly.  Trustworthiness is a big issue that can't be overstressed.  My opinion is that your issues shouldn't keep you out but keep in mind that I don't work in access control.

The second key is to use the search function here on Nukeworker ($1 to Broadzilla) and use background check as a criteria. 

Best of luck with your apprenticeship and career and welcome to Nukeworker!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2006, 11:55 »
The speeding tickets don't even count (I am sure someone will have a circumstace where they might) and the wording in the background questionaire should even say something like 'other than traffic offenses' or some such wording. HOWEVER... NASCAR is 100% right -- the thing that will get you into the most trouble at the fastest rate is non-disclosure. Be upfront and a single misdemeanor should do you no harm.

Keep in mind that 'traffic offenses' does not include DUI or getting arrested for vehicular crimes. I claim a 'driving on suspended license' even though it was an error, was dropped, and never even went to court. Has never been a problem for me.

I second Tom's welcome to Nukeworker and wishes for good luck.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

c parker

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2006, 06:27 »
Whew... wow, that's a huge weight of my shoulders! I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks guys, this has been a huge help and I'm glad I joined this site.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:28 »
I pled guilty to a misdemeanor (one stupid bar brawl) this last february. I don't drink, I'm mentally stable, and don't touch any drugs.

Why were you in a bar (especially in a brawl) if you don't drink?  ::)
While I see the humor in the statement, the psychiatrist may not.

Make sure you look at your record, so that what you write down looks like what shows up. For example, if it says "drunk and disorderly" on your record, that phrase should be on your background check application.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2006, 11:16 »
speeding tickets in excess of $250 dollar fine or so many MPH usually are felonies in most states (endangerment), a ticket that large will cause some concern when getting a DOE L or Q and may give reason for pulling your L or Q, but if it is just an ole nuke plant- no problem. just dont hide the info- 
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2006, 11:21 by alphadude »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2006, 07:33 »
speeding tickets in excess of $250

I have friends that are part-time Nukeworkers and part-time truckers with CDL. Every ticket given to a big rig is over $250. Not a problem, unless you try to hide it.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

c parker

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:52 »
Why were you in a bar (especially in a brawl) if you don't drink?  ::)
While I see the humor in the statement, the psychiatrist may not.

Make sure you look at your record, so that what you write down looks like what shows up. For example, if it says "drunk and disorderly" on your record, that phrase should be on your background check application.

I rarely drank, and since the incident, I haven't at all... that's what I meant.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:56 »
truckers are commercial

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?