Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Good Distance Learning Courses?
honeypot

Author Topic: Good Distance Learning Courses?  (Read 5560 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Good Distance Learning Courses?
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:38 »
Has anyone had especially good luck with any of the colleges? 

Specifically, I would like to take a beginning Stats class & 1st semester Calculus.

Thanks! :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Good Distance Learning Courses?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:59 »
I am currently taking (in fact book is open in front of me now) stats from Thomas Edison State College.  The school has been fairly easy to work with and the course is what they call self guided- meaning I read book do homework and send it in, there is a midterm and a final (both open book, and sci calc allowed, but no notes).  The tests will require get someone to be a procter but that is ussually easy.  Overall I think it is an east way to take a course that I do not want to "waste" time sitting in a class for but to difficult to just test out of.  Believe me you do not want to test out of stats because unless you were a bookkeeper/statistian for a major sport league (and I do not think fantasy football counts) there is just to much subject specific terminilogy to try and "Clep" it.
As for calc I know they offer it but I took mine in a standard classroom, and personally would recommend you do that if at all possible if not my recommendation would be to look at your local community college for an online class.  That way you would have an instructor and what ever tools the school makes available to its students.  Here in Va I took mine at Tidewater CC and they have a math tutor lab n the library you can go to for help even if you are not taking the regular classroom class.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Rob
PS What degree are you trying to get?? 
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:45 »
As for calc I know they offer it but I took mine in a standard classroom, and personally would recommend you do that if at all possible if not my recommendation would be to look at your local community college for an online class.  That way you would have an instructor and what ever tools the school makes available to its students.  Here in Va I took mine at Tidewater CC and they have a math tutor lab n the library you can go to for help even if you are not taking the regular classroom class.

PS What degree are you trying to get?? 

I like the idea of having the tutor, math lab, library, instructor, etc...but my current position will send me out-of-town a lot, so want something that I can do anywhere.

I am not trying for a degree right now.  Job uses statistics a bunch, so need to get more familiar with the concepts.  And want to take Calc while my Trig is still reasonably fresh in my head...I had it about a year and a half ago. 

Thanks for the TESC info!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:54 »
   university of oklahoma distance learning...$700 per course

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?