Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 18 years old, just graduated high-school, looking to be a nuclear engineer.

Author Topic: 18 years old, just graduated high-school, looking to be a nuclear engineer.  (Read 40793 times)

thenuttyneutron

Long hair is only acceptable when it is permed in the nuclear industry.... ;).  I am joking and don't know if long hair would keep you out.  I saw many unique things in school and it never seemed to be an issue.  I think it will matter if all other things are equal between you and a competitor for one opening.  Interviews are very subjective.  You never know if a person will have a hard spot for the most mundane reasons.  I think for now you can be yourself and when the time comes, ask your advisors for guidance.  Many of the people that teach have friends/connections in the industry and can coach you. 

Most of all have fun in school and surround yourself with as many smart and talented people as you can.  Get involved in extra-curricular activities.  You will learn more from your peers than you will from your professors.  It is good that you are thinking ahead, but don't forget about the present.

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2006, 10:48 by Nutty Neutron »

Zewle

Just to make sure...

This transfer engineering program would allow me to transfer to a Nuclear Engineering program right?

http://www.aacc.edu/engineering/EGR.cfm

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Long hair in and of itself is not a major "danger" signal, particularly today.  But, it will depend on the decision maker.  Six years from now you may decide you've had enough of it on your own. 

Many years ago I hired an individual with long hair (after a heated discussion with the plant manager who thought anything more than a crew-cut was too long).  The guy had already told me he intended to let it grow for as long as he had had to keep it short while in the Navy.  The plant manager and I had another heated discussion when I promoted the individual into supervision.

The day he cut his hair the plant manager asked me who is that guy.  When I told him, the manager said, "Oh yeah, he's one of your best supervisors, isn't he"?

Be true to yourself, but be aware of what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

M1Ark

You'll probably need to cut your long hair.  You can always grow it back once hired as long as you're not big on promotions.  Long hair hints of anti-establishment and you are looking to work in a pretty big establishment.

thenuttyneutron

He may have to cut it later :D  He is just starting school.  I say let it ride and get it out of your system.  Don't forget, have fun at school.  You will learn and grow in many ways if you follow my advice from a previous post.  I am of the opinion that you should learn at least half of what you leave school with from non-academic related activities.

One important thing to learn is how to network.  I have old college buddies that I still keep in touch with.  These life long friends will be a valuable resource for you in the future.  Make time to talk to them.  If possible try to visit an old buddy at least twice a year.

If you like NE you should look into joining clubs like ANS or science/engineering clubs.  Find a hobby that you like and can afford.  I used to go and grab the $100 hamburger all the time in school(renting a plane and flying to a random city with friends just for fun).  If you think you can't afford to have fun, think again.  I once went to St. Louis, MO from College Station, TX with nothing but $20 in my back pocket to see the Big 12 championship in 1998.  I saw the greatest college football come back of all time and am glad I went.

Get a good camera and take lots of pictures.  These will be treasures worth more than their weight in gold when you look back. 

Don't be afraid of failure.  If you are not failing at something, you are not setting your goals high enough.

The last thing I suggest you do if you pursue NE is to watch a reactor pulse at a research reactor.  There are few things as cool as watching a reactor go prompt supercritical at the bottom of a pool ;)

Zewle

Good things to know.

Also, another ridiculously stupid question.

EDIT: Never mind.

Man I'm psyched, I called AACCs guy incharge of the engineering, and everything sounds great.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2006, 11:15 by Zewle »

Zewle

Oh yeah....

Does being an engineer require drawing ability?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Sometimes, but it is done on computers now.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

wlrun3@aol.com

"There are few things as cool as watching a reactor go prompt supercritical at the bot
tom of a pool"....what does it look like?

thenuttyneutron

it looks like a magnesium flashbulb going off, only the light is blue.  It also has a cool after glow (intense Cherenkov radiation) that lingers for a couple of minutes before fading away.

ranger2

Penn State has a good nuke eng program that isn't too far from you. They have a research reactor. Even out of state tuition would be much cheaper than the price you quoted earlier.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Most of all have fun in school and surround yourself with as many smart and talented people as you can.  Get involved in extra-curricular activities.  You will learn more from your peers than you will from your professors.  It is good that you are thinking ahead, but don't forget about the present.

What he said!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?