Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

18 years old, just graduated high-school, looking to be a nuclear engineer.

<< < (2/8) > >>

NucEng for Hire:
you may not have noticed that UMD is a graduate-only program, meaning you'll need a bachelors in something else first.

i received my bachelors in mechanical engineering and headed into a nuclear graduate program, same as what you'd need to do if remaining in maryland.

ChiefRocscooter:
You are geting good advice!  If you are accademically, maturity, and fincinally ready for college (and how mature fdo you have to be to be a freshman can be a long in and of itself) then by all means go to college!!! If not then the Navy is a viable option but I think you will find most Nuc from the Navy were not planning on going into Nuclear power before they entered Navy.  It just works out that way for most 8) Feel free to ask lots of "dumb questions" cause thats what we would expect of you and will think noe the less of you for it.
Good Luck and I look fwd to helping where I can

Rob

Zewle:
Oops I feel silly.

Hmm...

So, would I be able to get a bachelors in Computer Engineering then enter the Nuclear Engineering graduate program?

NucEng for Hire:
i typically see mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineers crossing into the nuclear field (probably in that rank).

but, if you get good grades and standardized test scores, you can enter from any discipline. i'd ask the program chair your question directly - they really do care about helping students and probably would answer your questions in detail.

thenuttyneutron:
The number of programs for a BS in Nuclear Engineering is very low.  Many schools killed their programs due to the very low number of people going through them.  If you are willing to look out of state, you can find undergraduate programs.  I recommend going to a school with a research reactor.  During my academic years I was able to perform labs using my school's reactor and I do think it is a valuable teaching tool.

The Co-op program would be a good thing for you to look into.  I now wish I had.  The first few years of work experience are very important for determining the direction your future career will take.  Knowing in advance what you want to do would very a very good idea.  My plans for NE changed after school when I saw the Air Force was downsizing.  I stumbled into NE by a very lucky accident.  I am very happy with my job.  I know NE will have a big future. Getting in this industry now with all the more experienced people retiring will provide many career opportunities. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version