Palo Verde

Above Average
28 (35.9%)
Average
26 (33.3%)
Below Average
24 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Palo Verde  (Read 301415 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Palo Verde
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:02 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

DesertDog

Re: Palo Verde
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2003, 04:55 »
Any feedback on Palo Verde? Is it a good place to work? How's the pay and benefits for inhouse jobs? Is management worker friendly? Any big problems? Any other info would be appreciated! THX (dog) (dog)

Havasu_Dude

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2003, 05:48 »
               Like any other plant, some like it, some hate it.  I enjoy it there, however I work for people I like and get along with.  Some of the house techs like it, others don't.  They have shift techs and straight days.   Day shift is 4 10's which ain't a bad thing.  Pay for the area is not bad.  During the outage they work 5 12's.  Remeber though, there is 3 units so you have a outage every spring and every fall.  Hope this helps. 8)

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2003, 10:14 »
I spent 8+ years working in the engineering organization there (haven't been there in a few years). Overall, I thought that the employees were generally treated and paid well.  PVNGS went through a couple "compensation reviews" for their direct employees while I was there and they appeared to set the various pay grades above the market value (however they determined that) in order to attract and keep quality folks.

My experience was that the management is demanding, but usually fair. I really liked the people there, even the HP types that always seemed to take a somewhat sadistic pleasure in quizzing the engineers on RCA requirements as they entered.   ;D

I always thought that the 4-10 schedule was great, although the location of the plant made for a long commute from the far side of Phoenix. Phoenix is a great place to live, providing you don't need snow on the ground in the winter and can live through the really hot part of the summer.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2003, 06:47 »
"even the HP types that always seemed to take a somewhat sadistic pleasure in quizzing the engineers on RCA requirements as they entered. "

Don't take it personally; infrequent visitors to the RCA (some engineers, fer instance) pull some pretty wild and citable tricks out of their hats...  
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

SD

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2003, 04:33 »

PVNGS has a great Beach but is a long way from the water.
Unless your choice of accomodations is Buckeye,you will have a 40 mile drive to civilization. Goodyear and Avondale are good places to look for a place to live if you are coming to the SGRP. Expect 115 dergees daily and at starting time 0630 it is usually at least 95. Both Owner (APS) and, contractors  are getting along well so far...
This is going to be a GOOD one...plan to attend.-SD

homerjay

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2003, 10:29 »
How's the SGRP going?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Palo Verde
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:32 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2004, 01:07 »
I used to like the Mason Jar.  A small headbangers bar down around 27th ave and Indian school rd.
Does anyone know if the place is still there?

Brothers Pizza on 107th ave and Indianschool Rd.
Best pizza in AZ.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:12 »
The Rhythm Room has good live acts...tends towards the Blues/Folk/Rock/Country intersection of music...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 08:16 »
Um, went great. Even set a national record for lowest exposure during an SGR.

em1

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2004, 03:10 »
Anybody know what starting pay is for an AO at Palo Verde?? How long to you get into SRO/RO training and what is the pay then??  I am tired of this Maine weather, housing costs and state/property taxes and would love to move to Arizona.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2004, 06:59 »
About $50K/year to start, two years or so to fully qualify; up to 800 - 900 effective OT hours per year after that if you want it. Right now it seems to be taking about 4 years for a new AO to get into licensed training. Qualified RO's ~$70K/year plus license bonus plus overtime.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2004, 08:29 »
When might Palo Verde be hiring operators again?

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2004, 03:09 »
Are you related to anybody that works there?  If you are, you're in like Flynt.
I heard something about hiring more AO's after the new year.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2004, 07:12 »
Looking for Chris Hammonds, understand he's a House Mouse at Verde. If so, could ya send me his email address.
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

jcaron9999

Palo Verde Nuke Plant in AZ
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2004, 03:29 »
Looking for anyone who works there...

I've been a computer admin for about 15 years now, have military experience, but not nuke.  I'm being outsourced (laid off, screwed, beheaded, etc) to India and the Phillipines in June 2005 so I'm looking to do something else. 

I live 15 miles east of PVNGS and I've been watching the place for about five years.  Very few jobs advertised to the outside world.  As luck would have it (of course), there are now two jobs being advertised there which I might be able to do.  One is for an I&C computer tech for their security system and the other is for an auxiliary operator trainee. 

I applied for both and have gotten a response on the I&C job.  I'm scheduled to take a MASS (?) test next week.  They were looking for computer and electronics experience which I have, so I'm not surprised.  The operator job doesn't close (for bidding) for another week so I don't expect to hear anything on it for at least four more weeks.  It takes them about three weeks to respond after the bidding closes.  I have a strong math/physics background, so I might get interest, but I think if they get anyone to bid with navy experience then I'm probably out of luck.  Too bad, though, because that job sounds more interesting.

What's missing from the bids are the salary ranges.  I know from searching the net that an I&C job pays in the $45K-$65K range, but that's for the nuke side.  I'm wondering if the computer side is lower (probably is...).  The operator job I have no idea on.  I'm guessing $50K range to start based upon some of the other message threads I've found on this board.

I'm hoping to find someone here that's actually in those positions at PVNGS so I can get some info.  I can get another computer job easily enough, but I have to commute 100-150 miles a day for a decent one.  I'd be much better off if I could get into PVNGS (doing anything).  I picked these two positions because they match my background the best.

So, does anyone work at PVNGS (and want to chat)...?

Palo verde AO

EX-Navy Nukes need for Operations postion at Palo Verde
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2004, 10:36 »
I'm a Auxillary Operater (AO) at the Palvo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (PVNGS) in Phoenix Arizona. We are looking for Ex-Navy Nukes or others with power plant background. The last time we hired outside the company, we did not get a large amount of applicants. I thought I would post something here to help them out. If you don't mind the desert (ie 110 Plus in the summer) it is not a bad job. I have been out at PVNGS for 15 years and I haven't melted yet! Like they say it is a dry heat. If you are interested please vist our web site at Arizona Public Service Company
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2005, 11:53 by Palo Verde AO »

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
Re: EX-Navy Nukes need for Operations postion at Palvo Verde
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2004, 12:53 »
What is the base pay for Ops?  Is it commensurate with Power Plant experience? How much overtime (if any) can be expected?

I might be interested just to move back to AZ.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Palo verde AO

« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:06 »
What is the base pay for Ops?  Is it commensurate with Power Plant experience? How much overtime (if any) can be expected?

I might be interested just to move back to AZ.
APS brings in all new hired Aux opertors (AO) at the same base, don't quote me, but I think in the $19-21 per hour. It might be a little flexible but I'm don't have anything to do with the hiring. Once you are fully qualified (1.5-2.5 years) it will be in the $28-32 per hour range. We work a rotating 12 hour schedule so there is 16 hours of built in overtime every 5 weeks. They keep saying that the overtime is going away, but I sill manage 500-800 equalvalent hour of overtime the last 10 years or so. Equalvent hours is not actual hours worked, it is the hours times the rate (1X or 2X). Unlike the road Tech's of past years, I have never manged to break 6 figures, thought I have known some that have here, but they lived here. We are located 55 miles west of down town Phoenix. The traffic is not getting any better. There is plenty of new housing going up near the plant (20 miles or so), but is not as affordable as it once was. :(. If you have not witnessed the AZ summers, it is not for the faint hearted, but is only 2-3 months of hell, the other months are great.

kwicslvr

« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:54 »
What does a typical 3-4 bedroom house go for there?   How hard is it to get into licensing class?   I know we pick up two a year which blows.  Wouldn't mind getting back closer to Texas.

Offline sefrick

• Light User
  • “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2004, 11:44 »
Hey Palo, I actually found that job posting on monster and applied. I'm a lil bit concerned about the pinnicle screening process. I had to answer "yes" to a question that I didn't want to answer yes to. The "have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor" question. I have a domistic assault charge hanging over my head from the beginning of 2000. Will this ba a disqualifier?
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I serv

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:51 »
a year which blows.  Wouldn't mind getting back closer to Texas.
What does a typical 3house go for there?-4 bedroom    How hard is it to get into licensing class?   I know we pick up two

My wife and I were just looking at houses online for the PHX area and about $#!+ ourselves.  Prices are anywhere from $250K on up for what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2004, 03:52 by Atomic_Punk »

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:53 »
Sorry about the last post, the quote feature seems to be hose up.

Palo verde AO

« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:02 »
Hey Palo, I actually found that job posting on monster and applied. I'm a lil bit concerned about the pinnicle screening process. I had to answer "yes" to a question that I didn't want to answer yes to. The "have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor" question. I have a domistic assault charge hanging over my head from the beginning of 2000. Will this ba a disqualifier?
The worst thing you can do is not tell them about it!!! That should not be a disqualifer, I don't think. We had a guy that took the severence package and left for 4 or 5 years and got rehired at our Gas Turbine plant. All was well until the background check came back and here had a Drunk Driving conviction that he did not tell him about. He was kicking stones down the road that day. If he would have told them about it, he would still be working there. Since September 11th the back ground check have really gotten involved. You did the right thing by say YES :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?