Palo Verde

Above Average
28 (35.9%)
Average
26 (33.3%)
Below Average
24 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Palo Verde  (Read 301411 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Palo Verde
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:02 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

DesertDog

Re: Palo Verde
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2003, 04:55 »
Any feedback on Palo Verde? Is it a good place to work? How's the pay and benefits for inhouse jobs? Is management worker friendly? Any big problems? Any other info would be appreciated! THX (dog) (dog)

Havasu_Dude

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2003, 05:48 »
               Like any other plant, some like it, some hate it.  I enjoy it there, however I work for people I like and get along with.  Some of the house techs like it, others don't.  They have shift techs and straight days.   Day shift is 4 10's which ain't a bad thing.  Pay for the area is not bad.  During the outage they work 5 12's.  Remeber though, there is 3 units so you have a outage every spring and every fall.  Hope this helps. 8)

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2003, 10:14 »
I spent 8+ years working in the engineering organization there (haven't been there in a few years). Overall, I thought that the employees were generally treated and paid well.  PVNGS went through a couple "compensation reviews" for their direct employees while I was there and they appeared to set the various pay grades above the market value (however they determined that) in order to attract and keep quality folks.

My experience was that the management is demanding, but usually fair. I really liked the people there, even the HP types that always seemed to take a somewhat sadistic pleasure in quizzing the engineers on RCA requirements as they entered.   ;D

I always thought that the 4-10 schedule was great, although the location of the plant made for a long commute from the far side of Phoenix. Phoenix is a great place to live, providing you don't need snow on the ground in the winter and can live through the really hot part of the summer.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2003, 06:47 »
"even the HP types that always seemed to take a somewhat sadistic pleasure in quizzing the engineers on RCA requirements as they entered. "

Don't take it personally; infrequent visitors to the RCA (some engineers, fer instance) pull some pretty wild and citable tricks out of their hats...  
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

SD

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2003, 04:33 »

PVNGS has a great Beach but is a long way from the water.
Unless your choice of accomodations is Buckeye,you will have a 40 mile drive to civilization. Goodyear and Avondale are good places to look for a place to live if you are coming to the SGRP. Expect 115 dergees daily and at starting time 0630 it is usually at least 95. Both Owner (APS) and, contractors  are getting along well so far...
This is going to be a GOOD one...plan to attend.-SD

homerjay

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2003, 10:29 »
How's the SGRP going?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Palo Verde
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:32 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2004, 01:07 »
I used to like the Mason Jar.  A small headbangers bar down around 27th ave and Indian school rd.
Does anyone know if the place is still there?

Brothers Pizza on 107th ave and Indianschool Rd.
Best pizza in AZ.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:12 »
The Rhythm Room has good live acts...tends towards the Blues/Folk/Rock/Country intersection of music...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 08:16 »
Um, went great. Even set a national record for lowest exposure during an SGR.

em1

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2004, 03:10 »
Anybody know what starting pay is for an AO at Palo Verde?? How long to you get into SRO/RO training and what is the pay then??  I am tired of this Maine weather, housing costs and state/property taxes and would love to move to Arizona.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2004, 06:59 »
About $50K/year to start, two years or so to fully qualify; up to 800 - 900 effective OT hours per year after that if you want it. Right now it seems to be taking about 4 years for a new AO to get into licensed training. Qualified RO's ~$70K/year plus license bonus plus overtime.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2004, 08:29 »
When might Palo Verde be hiring operators again?

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2004, 03:09 »
Are you related to anybody that works there?  If you are, you're in like Flynt.
I heard something about hiring more AO's after the new year.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2004, 07:12 »
Looking for Chris Hammonds, understand he's a House Mouse at Verde. If so, could ya send me his email address.
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

jcaron9999

Palo Verde Nuke Plant in AZ
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2004, 03:29 »
Looking for anyone who works there...

I've been a computer admin for about 15 years now, have military experience, but not nuke.  I'm being outsourced (laid off, screwed, beheaded, etc) to India and the Phillipines in June 2005 so I'm looking to do something else. 

I live 15 miles east of PVNGS and I've been watching the place for about five years.  Very few jobs advertised to the outside world.  As luck would have it (of course), there are now two jobs being advertised there which I might be able to do.  One is for an I&C computer tech for their security system and the other is for an auxiliary operator trainee. 

I applied for both and have gotten a response on the I&C job.  I'm scheduled to take a MASS (?) test next week.  They were looking for computer and electronics experience which I have, so I'm not surprised.  The operator job doesn't close (for bidding) for another week so I don't expect to hear anything on it for at least four more weeks.  It takes them about three weeks to respond after the bidding closes.  I have a strong math/physics background, so I might get interest, but I think if they get anyone to bid with navy experience then I'm probably out of luck.  Too bad, though, because that job sounds more interesting.

What's missing from the bids are the salary ranges.  I know from searching the net that an I&C job pays in the $45K-$65K range, but that's for the nuke side.  I'm wondering if the computer side is lower (probably is...).  The operator job I have no idea on.  I'm guessing $50K range to start based upon some of the other message threads I've found on this board.

I'm hoping to find someone here that's actually in those positions at PVNGS so I can get some info.  I can get another computer job easily enough, but I have to commute 100-150 miles a day for a decent one.  I'd be much better off if I could get into PVNGS (doing anything).  I picked these two positions because they match my background the best.

So, does anyone work at PVNGS (and want to chat)...?

Palo verde AO

EX-Navy Nukes need for Operations postion at Palo Verde
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2004, 10:36 »
I'm a Auxillary Operater (AO) at the Palvo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (PVNGS) in Phoenix Arizona. We are looking for Ex-Navy Nukes or others with power plant background. The last time we hired outside the company, we did not get a large amount of applicants. I thought I would post something here to help them out. If you don't mind the desert (ie 110 Plus in the summer) it is not a bad job. I have been out at PVNGS for 15 years and I haven't melted yet! Like they say it is a dry heat. If you are interested please vist our web site at Arizona Public Service Company
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2005, 11:53 by Palo Verde AO »

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
Re: EX-Navy Nukes need for Operations postion at Palvo Verde
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2004, 12:53 »
What is the base pay for Ops?  Is it commensurate with Power Plant experience? How much overtime (if any) can be expected?

I might be interested just to move back to AZ.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Palo verde AO

« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:06 »
What is the base pay for Ops?  Is it commensurate with Power Plant experience? How much overtime (if any) can be expected?

I might be interested just to move back to AZ.
APS brings in all new hired Aux opertors (AO) at the same base, don't quote me, but I think in the $19-21 per hour. It might be a little flexible but I'm don't have anything to do with the hiring. Once you are fully qualified (1.5-2.5 years) it will be in the $28-32 per hour range. We work a rotating 12 hour schedule so there is 16 hours of built in overtime every 5 weeks. They keep saying that the overtime is going away, but I sill manage 500-800 equalvalent hour of overtime the last 10 years or so. Equalvent hours is not actual hours worked, it is the hours times the rate (1X or 2X). Unlike the road Tech's of past years, I have never manged to break 6 figures, thought I have known some that have here, but they lived here. We are located 55 miles west of down town Phoenix. The traffic is not getting any better. There is plenty of new housing going up near the plant (20 miles or so), but is not as affordable as it once was. :(. If you have not witnessed the AZ summers, it is not for the faint hearted, but is only 2-3 months of hell, the other months are great.

kwicslvr

« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:54 »
What does a typical 3-4 bedroom house go for there?   How hard is it to get into licensing class?   I know we pick up two a year which blows.  Wouldn't mind getting back closer to Texas.

Offline sefrick

• Light User
  • “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2004, 11:44 »
Hey Palo, I actually found that job posting on monster and applied. I'm a lil bit concerned about the pinnicle screening process. I had to answer "yes" to a question that I didn't want to answer yes to. The "have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor" question. I have a domistic assault charge hanging over my head from the beginning of 2000. Will this ba a disqualifier?
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I serv

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:51 »
a year which blows.  Wouldn't mind getting back closer to Texas.
What does a typical 3house go for there?-4 bedroom    How hard is it to get into licensing class?   I know we pick up two

My wife and I were just looking at houses online for the PHX area and about $#!+ ourselves.  Prices are anywhere from $250K on up for what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2004, 03:52 by Atomic_Punk »

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:53 »
Sorry about the last post, the quote feature seems to be hose up.

Palo verde AO

« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:02 »
Hey Palo, I actually found that job posting on monster and applied. I'm a lil bit concerned about the pinnicle screening process. I had to answer "yes" to a question that I didn't want to answer yes to. The "have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor" question. I have a domistic assault charge hanging over my head from the beginning of 2000. Will this ba a disqualifier?
The worst thing you can do is not tell them about it!!! That should not be a disqualifer, I don't think. We had a guy that took the severence package and left for 4 or 5 years and got rehired at our Gas Turbine plant. All was well until the background check came back and here had a Drunk Driving conviction that he did not tell him about. He was kicking stones down the road that day. If he would have told them about it, he would still be working there. Since September 11th the back ground check have really gotten involved. You did the right thing by say YES :)

Palo verde AO

« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:23 »

My wife and I were just looking at houses online for the PHX area and about $#!+ ourselves.  Prices are anywhere from $250K on up for what you're looking for.
Yes that is true for Phoenix. Remember that the plant is 55 miles west of Phoenix.  The West Valley has afordable housing. Look at the Sundance in Buckeye AZ for starters. You need to be looking in the west Valley, in the towns of: Goodyear, Avondale,Litchfield Park and Peoria to name a few. For $250K you will get a 2500 square foot 4-5 bedroom with a pool and 3 car. I live In Peoria AZ. Yes the housing has gotten more expensive, but I think it is still afordable. Good Luck!! 8)

Offline Duke Nuker

• Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:50 »
I lived in Glendale, at Arrowhead and the prices of houses were great compared to where I live now. The cost of living wasn't bad at all.  I think I will apply, I don't think I could start at those wages, but maybe I can work something out with APS.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2004, 01:52 by Duke Nuker »

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2004, 11:22 »

If you get convicted of a felony they can't hire you. There's no used lying, because with todays security checks they'll find out.

Mike

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2004, 03:18 »

Yes that is true for Phoenix. Remember that the plant is 55 miles west of Phoenix.  The West Valley has afordable housing. Look at the Sundance in Buckeye AZ for starters. You need to be looking in the west Valley, in the towns of: Goodyear, Avondale,Litchfield Park and Peoria to name a few. For $250K you will get a 2500 square foot 4-5 bedroom with a pool and 3 car. I live In Peoria AZ. Yes the housing has gotten more expensive, but I think it is still afordable. Good Luck!! 8)
That's where we were looking and $250 get's you 1400-1500 sq ft,
3 br 2ba 2car grg.  I can't beleive how much housing has gone up since we left in '97. Check for yourself on the realtor's websites.
 Also, I believe you did get a large amount of applicants the last time around.  I was there for one day of several for the POSS test and I believe there was at least a hundred people there just that day. 
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2004, 03:30 by Atomic_Punk »

kwicslvr

« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2004, 12:12 »

Not to bad at all.  We are paying 250k here for a 900sqft 3 bedroom no garage with a basement.  That would be a nice upgrade there.  Though like someone said above, the pay is a little on the low side.  I started here at $26/hr right out of the Navy.  I'l  have to think quikly about this one. Thanks for the heads up though.

Palo verde AO

« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2004, 01:24 »

I believe you did get a large amount of applicants the last time around.  I was there for one day of several for the POSS test and I believe there was at least a hundred people there just that day. 
That is true, but not very many passed the POSS Test. Alot of the appplicants were local with no skills. Training some of the last class (NLO) that just bearly  passed the POSS  was a task. Out of the last 4-5 class, the Ex-Navy Nukes or prior Nuke experience really did well, not to say that some of the others that came off the street didn't do well, there are alway exeptions. The last class we hired alot of Palo Verde workers kids.  Some were Ex-Navy Nukes and some were not. The joke, when they started was "Whose your Daddy?" One's father was a Unit Department leader, he took alot of ribbing for that,but he was a Navy Nuke and stood tall and held his ground.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2004, 10:01 by Palo Verde AO »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2004, 01:37 »
I saw similar results at Turkey Point. MDCC and FIU graduates couldn't pass the POSS test, but ex-Navy Nukes almost all passed. Of course, the current employees' kids were prime candidates, since they had a tie to the area.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:14 »
Palo Verde AO,
How many "AO trainees" are they going to hire this time?  How many slots are being allotted for the workers kids this time?  Thank you in advance.

PS.  Give Dave Mallik a hard time for me.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004, 04:16 by Atomic_Punk »

Palo verde AO

« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:04 »
How many "AO trainees" are they going to hire this time?  How many slots are being allotted for the workers kids this time? 
The rumor has it that there will be 13. There is no allotment for workers kids, I think we got all that we can get from that area. The last couple of times we have hire outside the company we had a hard time finding people that could pass the POSS test. There were alot of locals tring to hone in on the  AO job at the local Nuke Plant.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:16 »

The rumor has it that there will be 13. There is no allotment for workers kids, I think we got all that we can get from that area. The last couple of times we have hire outside the company we had a hard time finding people that could pass the POSS test. There were alot of locals tring to hone in on the  AO job at the local Nuke Plant.
That was sarcasm, in case ya couldn't smell it! (allotment for worker's kids) :)  From what I was told by those (supposedly) in the know, the reason a lot of us (who did pass the POSS, BTW) didn't get hired, was because of HR's "the children of the current employees will be more loyal to the company" policy. Ahh, nepotism (sp?).  Ya gotta love it!

glowingreen

« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:53 »
Was anyone hurt by the falling crane?

Palo verde AO

« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2004, 07:01 »
Was anyone hurt by the falling crane?
No one was hurt. The crane operator and the "oiler" only got cuts and scrapes. I saw it after it happened and it was a sight to see. The seavan that it was lifting was flattened. Not too much plant damage.

jcaron9999

Re: Palo Verde Nuke Plant in AZ
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2004, 01:20 »
I received a letter from PVNGS that included the salary range and what I guessed was low...

Anyone out there at all working with the security people on the computer side?

jcaron9999

« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2004, 01:55 »
Does anyone out there know Chris Collins at Arizona Public Service (APS) or at Palo Verde Nuke plant?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:01 »
TVA also gives POSS and MASS. They have some helpful links on their website for those taking the exams. http://www.tva.gov/employment/om_jobs.htm
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

morngrym

« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2004, 02:05 »
Hey what time frame are they lookig to hire in?

Palo verde AO

« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2005, 11:39 »
NOW!!! :o The job posting closes on the 7th. We are goiing to start up a NLO class within the first half of 2005.

morngrym

« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2005, 01:43 »
I was asking because I get out on APR 15 or so depending on how much terminal they let me take so my question is will that be too late for this opening. I believe I am pretty qualified. I am a EM1 6yrs and out. I will have completed all my classes for the TESC degree but wont be able to apply for graduation till sept. What do you think?

dbandcjs

« Reply #43 on: Jan 02, 2005, 03:47 »
I just submitted my resume via monster.com.  Do you know if APS offers any relocation?  I am an 8 year MM1 nuke, and I am currently living in Orlando FL.  My wife and I want to get back out west without having to go the Cali.  This sounds like an ideal opportunity.

Thanks

Chuck

jcaron9999

« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2005, 07:39 »
Thanks!  I've printed out all of the information those links point to (at EEI) and I'm going through the Barron's aptitude and spatial workbook.

s_Phoenix

« Reply #45 on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:52 »
How often do they hire there for this type of job?  I dont get untill spring 06 and that is one of the plants that i would like to look at working at.

Palo verde AO

« Reply #46 on: Jan 04, 2005, 06:00 »
The class is suppose to start the first week in March.

Palo verde AO

« Reply #47 on: Jan 04, 2005, 06:09 »
I just submitted my resume via monster.com.  Do you know if APS offers any relocation?  I am an 8 year MM1 nuke, and I am currently living in Orlando FL.  My wife and I want to get back out west without having to go the Cali.  This sounds like an ideal opportunity.

Thanks

Chuck
Sorry it took so long to get back.The people that are doing the hiring are on Monday thru Thursday. They had a meeting today on the new hires. There will be little relocation money and it will be on a case by case basis. If they really want you they will pay some. What he was talking about is that APS will NOT buy your house, rent you a house, and stuff like that. He said that they my pony up a couple of thousand, if you are a hot runner. I said that was better than nothing. This job hire is totally outside, to date they have only got about a hundred resumes...come on people apply!!!!

Palo verde AO

« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:49 »
How often do they hire there for this type of job?  I dont get untill spring 06 and that is one of the plants that i would like to look at working at.
Lately it has been happening every 2-3 years. In operations there are alot of people that will be retireing in the next 5-10 years.We tired the in house thing for AO's and we got people that were in their 40's. We are looking at getting some young blood in the operations dept. I went in the Navy when I was 17 and got out after 6 years, and started here 2 months later. I have been here for a little over 15 years. When we get a young Navy Nuke we can mold them, not like getting a old timer from another plant that is set in there ways, not saying that is bad. This last class that started about 2 years ago had acouple of Navy Nukes and they are doing real fine. As to your spring 06 departure, that looks like a great time to get out and get a job here, you might get a few months off to goof around!!! 8)

JnyMac

« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2005, 06:28 »
I work at Palo Verde as an Operator. You will have no problem with the salary ranges.  The operator trainee salary advances up quickly over the 18 month period it takes to get fully qualified.  You would be working a 5 week rotating shift with days and nights.  I found the best study for the POSS test is the ASVAB.  You can pick it up at Borders or Barns and Noble.

jcaron9999

« Reply #50 on: Jan 06, 2005, 02:21 »
Thanks JnyMac.  I'm going after the I&C position first and I'm taking the MASS tomorrow morning.  I've been studying for it about two weeks now.  I remember the ASVAB...;)  The book I'm using is similar.

I've applied for the AO job as well, so if the I&C thing doesn't fly, hopefully I'll get to take the POSS and get a second shot at getting into Palo Verde.

Do you like working there?  How's the atmosphere?  I haven't found anyone yet that didn't like the place...   

JnyMac

« Reply #51 on: Jan 06, 2005, 02:38 »
It's like any other job.  I like the atomosphere.  I've worked out here since I was 19.  The pay and benifits are great.  I hate the drive.  I don't like the cold so the heat doesn't bother me.  When you spend time in the Turbine building the 115 outside is Air Conditioning.  The 5 week rotation has good and bad points.   I guess I wouldn't still bne here if I didn't like it.

russysgirl

Re: EX-Navy Nukes need for Operations postion at Palo Verde
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:06 »
My husband is an ex-navy nuke, he has been out for about 5 years.  He has applied to DTE twice without response. The first time we were told that he didn't make it through the HR screen.  This last time, in October, we were told that they pushed the hiring back until the spring. We live in AZ and have been waiting for Palo Verde to hire so we would not have to relocate our family.  I am looking for any suggestions to help secure at least an invitation to take the POSS. Do you think being out for 5 years is hurting his chances, making his Nuke expereince out dated? During his time out he obtained he's bachelors degree in finance, it has been suggested that his degree might be hendering his chances.  Any thoughts?  Any suggestions or help is greatly apprecaited!

JnyMac

« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:29 »
I am an AO at Palo Verde.  First of all they are looking for Navy Nukes.  He has a degree.  If he has any other Nuclear exp.  I would say he would have no problem getting to atleast take the POSS test.  Make sure everything is on his resume.  all certificates and  such that apply to environmental, nuke, etc.  Good Luck.

russysgirl

« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:32 »
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  It's frustrating when you've gone throught the application process before without any feed back.  It's hard to figure out why someone else was chosen over you when you meet all the criteria.  We'll keep hoping!

jcaron9999

« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:08 »
I Passed the MASS this morning.  No pun intended.  Interview is late next week.  From the sound of it, there are 24 of us trying to get the I&C job.  The interview is one hour long and I'm wondering what's coming.  Can anyone share their experiences?  Is it usually one on one or a group format?  Is it behavioral or technical?

Has anyone taken both the POSS and the MASS?  I'm hoping to get invited to take the POSS for the AO position and I'm wondering if it's more difficult.

And thanks for the info.  It's really, really valuable to someone on the outside...;)

Flooznie

« Reply #56 on: Jan 08, 2005, 04:58 »
How much does Paolo Verde start out at per year as an AO?

Paul

Fermi2

« Reply #57 on: Jan 08, 2005, 10:55 »
Russygirl.

I'm the guy who does the hiring for DTEEnergy Nuclear Operators. Our Human Resources Department doesn't contact you unless I say so.
We start initerviews in about 4 or 5 weeks.
We never tell anyone until about a week prior to the interview.

If you email me your husbands name I'll check out what happened to his resume. I won't guarantee we'll call him, I have over 200 resumes and I give preference to previous commercial experience, but I will take a look.

Also Palo Verde Operator. I doubt your Plant Manager and VP (Overbeck right) hires a navy guy simply because he can "mold" him. INPO hates that attitude and most utilities try to get guys in from other nukes because they welcome the point of view. I doubt Greg appreciates you posting that....

Mike

jcaron9999

« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2005, 12:01 »
I don't have that info but recent posts on another thread say $19-$21 an hour scaling up quickly within 18 months.  Scaling to where, I don't know. 

Palo verde AO

« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2005, 12:15 »
Russygirl.

Also Palo Verde Operator. I doubt your Plant Manager and VP (Overbeck right) hires a navy guy simply because he can "mold" him. INPO hates that attitude and most utilities try to get guys in from other nukes because they welcome the point of view. I doubt Greg appreciates you posting that....

Mike
The plant manger and Overbeck have nothing to do with the hiring. From my 15 plus years there a AO you have a better chance of getting a better operator from a ex-navy nuke than some guy off the street. This is why we are targeting ex-navy nukes because for the last 3 classes we hired anyone who could pass the POSS. It did not work out for us. The ex-Navy nukes seem to have a over all better plant knowlege. This is just my opion and we have gotting some ex-Navy Nuke slugs also....oh well. :(

Palo verde AO

« Reply #60 on: Jan 09, 2005, 12:19 »
I am an AO at Palo Verde.  First of all they are looking for Navy Nukes.  He has a degree.  If he has any other Nuclear exp.  I would say he would have no problem getting to atleast take the POSS test.  Make sure everything is on his resume.  all certificates and  such that apply to environmental, nuke, etc.  Good Luck.
Thanks JnyMac for getting back to her. You told her exactly what I would have said. I just got off 5 nights in a row so I have been out of it the last couple of days. Thanks who ever you are.

kwicslvr

« Reply #61 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:30 »
I work at Palo Verde as an Operator. You will have no problem with the salary ranges.  The operator trainee salary advances up quickly over the 18 month period it takes to get fully qualified.  You would be working a 5 week rotating shift with days and nights.  I found the best study for the POSS test is the ASVAB.  You can pick it up at Borders or Barns and Noble.
Where do you top out at after 18 months.  Right now I'm at $28/hr so going downward for me is not an enchanting thought.

Fermi2

« Reply #62 on: Jan 10, 2005, 12:59 »
Whether Greg or the PM do the actual hiring I doubt they approve of you posting an unofficial hiring policy on a public forum. When you post something like that here you are in fact representing your company.

We had a guy from INPO ask us all sorts of questions about something a guy posted on a public site. Our Management had a lot of explaining to do. What you posted could result in an AFI for not considering hiring guys from the industry.

At the worst you've made a company policy concerning hiring, which could rsult in a lawsuit. I'm a manager at another utility and if I saw a guy from my plant posting a statement like that I'd be skinning him right now.

Mike

Palo verde AO

« Reply #63 on: Jan 10, 2005, 05:37 »
What you posted could result in an AFI for not considering hiring guys from the industry.
The post was just my opion. I was just passing the info along. The Navy Nuke part of the forum seemed like a good place to post. Remember I'm just a lowly AO and I can't get any lower. These people that we hire will be working with me and after the triple unit trip in June, I want someone that has a clue ,not the people that just passed the POSS. In this feild you have to be very selective who you hire, because there is alot of potential for major problems, it can go from bad to worse in a matter of minutes. In my orginal post it says "Ex-Navy or prior power plant experience". All the info was posted on the quick link to the job bid, which also said that. It is no different than calling some of my friends at other plants and giving them the web address to bid.  I hope this forum with over 800 hits get more applications to roll in. Bidding for this postion has closed.   :(

kwicslvr

« Reply #64 on: Jan 10, 2005, 08:36 »
Whether Greg or the PM do the actual hiring I doubt they approve of you posting an unofficial hiring policy on a public forum. When you post something like that here you are in fact representing your company.

We had a guy from INPO ask us all sorts of questions about something a guy posted on a public site. Our Management had a lot of explaining to do. What you posted could result in an AFI for not considering hiring guys from the industry.

At the worst you've made a company policy concerning hiring, which could rsult in a lawsuit. I'm a manager at another utility and if I saw a guy from my plant posting a statement like that I'd be skinning him right now.

Mike
::)Personalities like this make me wonder why I am still in this industry. ::)

mooredee13

« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2005, 10:29 »
Okay, fellas...I just have to ask: What are the chances of an ex-nuke MM in his early 40's getting back into the field. I've been out since late-1988, worked as a RadCon monitor for EB on the MARF refueling for 18 months, then moved to Florida and have been in the chemical industry for the past 14 years (Analytical). I actually went attended a GC maintenance class in Georgia this past December with a few maintenance guys from Palo Verde (can't remember their names, but nice guys) who mentioned that Palo may be hiring AOs.

My wife and I have thought about relocating after my two oldest are out of the house (one is in college and one is going to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children as of July...and I couldn't be more proud) and I mentioned Palo Verde to her, and she kinda perked up a bit (she has a sister in Phoenix).

Anyhow, I just wanted some honest opinions. I hate to think that my training and experience as a nuke may not be worth the proverbial "bucket of warm spit" just because I've been out of the field for awhile.

Thanks.

nxtlvl

« Reply #66 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:43 »
jcaron9999,
I was curious on how your interview went?

Looking for anyone who works there...

I've been a computer admin for about 15 years now, have military experience, but not nuke.  I'm being outsourced (laid off, screwed, beheaded, etc) to India and the Phillipines in June 2005 so I'm looking to do something else. 

I live 15 miles east of PVNGS and I've been watching the place for about five years.  Very few jobs advertised to the outside world.  As luck would have it (of course), there are now two jobs being advertised there which I might be able to do.  One is for an I&C computer tech for their security system and the other is for an auxiliary operator trainee. 

I applied for both and have gotten a response on the I&C job.  I'm scheduled to take a MASS (?) test next week.  They were looking for computer and electronics experience which I have, so I'm not surprised.  The operator job doesn't close (for bidding) for another week so I don't expect to hear anything on it for at least four more weeks.  It takes them about three weeks to respond after the bidding closes.  I have a strong math/physics background, so I might get interest, but I think if they get anyone to bid with navy experience then I'm probably out of luck.  Too bad, though, because that job sounds more interesting.

What's missing from the bids are the salary ranges.  I know from searching the net that an I&C job pays in the $45K-$65K range, but that's for the nuke side.  I'm wondering if the computer side is lower (probably is...).  The operator job I have no idea on.  I'm guessing $50K range to start based upon some of the other message threads I've found on this board.

I'm hoping to find someone here that's actually in those positions at PVNGS so I can get some info.  I can get another computer job easily enough, but I have to commute 100-150 miles a day for a decent one.  I'd be much better off if I could get into PVNGS (doing anything).  I picked these two positions because they match my background the best.

So, does anyone work at PVNGS (and want to chat)...?

nxtlvl

« Reply #67 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:45 »
jcaron9999,
Also when do you expect to hear back from them with a decision??

jcaron9999

« Reply #68 on: Jan 21, 2005, 08:52 »
Hi Nxtlvl,

I thought it went well, but I always think they go well...;)  It was basically a series of situational/behavioral questions and a short tech test.

The manager I would be working for told me that if I was selected, I would hear by the end of the week.  Well, it's the end of the week and I haven't heard anything.  Not good.  The senior HR person involved told me that it may take up to two weeks, but she's on vacation this week.  I think if I haven't heard anything by the end of next week, then I'll be looking elsewhere.  I know from talking to the HR people that I was not selected to proceed any farther with the AO position, so this is basically it.

If I did get hired, though, I wouldn't be starting until mid March.  There's a psych test, a fit test, and a background investigation I would have to go through for unescorted access to the site.  This is a long drawn out process...

JnyMac

Palo Verde AOs
« Reply #69 on: Apr 23, 2005, 07:07 »
I just wanted to know if any of the people on this Forum that applied for the Palo Verde AO positions in January got the job.

Fermi2

Re: Palo Verde AOs
« Reply #70 on: Apr 23, 2005, 11:43 »
A couple weeks ago I saw the NRC had committed to giving Palo Verde some extra "help" , how did that work out?

Mike

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #71 on: Apr 24, 2005, 01:59 »
Not me.

JnyMac

« Reply #72 on: Apr 24, 2005, 09:24 »
Mike,

Well if you spit you can usually hit a NRC Inspector.  We had a big problem last year with our RAS (Recirc Actuation System) Sumps.  We ended up getting I believe a Level 4 yellow violation with a $50K civil fine.  The NRC told our management that the Pre-Enforcement conference was the longest they had been apart of.  (@ 12 hours).  We have had a terrible outage so far and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot.  We pulled a wrong fuel bundle out of the spent fuel pool.  We opened our RAS Sumps and found bolts laying in the bottom.  We found cracking indications on our Reactor Head Vent.  Etc, Etc, Etc.  Our regulatory margine is in the minus category and we keep digging the hole deeper.  I can't wait to get out of the Lime Light.

Fermi2

« Reply #73 on: Apr 24, 2005, 11:14 »
I know. I've been there before right after I hired in at Fermi. I think Fermi is heading there again. The last two exit meetings I sat in on prior to my leaving were longer and more tempestuous than previous ones. I heard the one right after I left was a doozy.
I thought after our Drywell Cooler leak Fermi was gonna get ALL kinds of help.

Sad thing is, and you've probably noticed this, so much of what the NRC gets on us about is self inflicted.

Luckily for ya'll it looks like Millstone decided to take one for the team.

Are Gary Kimmel and Rick Hensey still working there?

Mike

JnyMac

« Reply #74 on: Apr 24, 2005, 11:46 »
I know what you're talking about.  I don't think we have any skin left because of all our self inficted wounds.  Gary I believe left sometime ago.  Rick left about 2 years ago.  He took an ECC Supervisor job back in PA.

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #75 on: Apr 25, 2005, 04:25 »
Pulling the wrong fuel bundle. Ouch. 

Fermi2

« Reply #76 on: Apr 25, 2005, 04:49 »
Pulling the wrong fuel bundle. Ouch. 

More common place than you might think, and easier to do in a PWR than a BWR.

Mike

shayne

« Reply #77 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:41 »
Just looking into the fuel pool, I'm not sure how they manage to pull the correct fuel rod as often as they do.

JnyMac

« Reply #78 on: Apr 25, 2005, 11:02 »
The bad thing is when you have as much NRC oversight as we have right now it is like hitting a 700' home run in the 9th with 2 outs and the series on the line.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #79 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:05 »
The bad thing is when you have as much NRC oversight as we have right now it is like hitting a 700' home run in the 9th with 2 outs and the series on the line.

Sounds more like offering up that pitch for the home run.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

JnyMac

« Reply #80 on: Apr 26, 2005, 11:20 »
Yeah
We keep lobbing them and the keep hittin home runs.

Fermi2

« Reply #81 on: Apr 26, 2005, 02:43 »
Yeah
We keep lobbing them and the keep hittin home runs.

No, it's the NRC. They hit the ball 25 feet short of the fence and call it a homerun. Since they're a player and the umpire you really can't argue the call. :)

Mike

Fermi2

Re: NLO / RO / SRO / STA qualifications
« Reply #82 on: Jul 30, 2005, 12:59 »
Thanks,

Hey I have a question... I looked at a pic of Palo Verde and it looks like the plants are somewhat seperated. Are there three different control rooms with three different sets of shifts?

Sequoyah has one big turbine building and one big aux building with a common control room for both units.

I doubt having a Non Licensed STA is economical. It isn't anywhere else. My guess is they don't want to go through the transition and the growing pains of a combined position because it is a pain in the arse.

MIke

JnyMac

« Reply #83 on: Jul 30, 2005, 01:12 »
Mike,

All the plants are seperated by fences.  Mainly the RCA.  3 identical plants and control rooms.  All with own turbine, control, and aux buildings.  All control rooms are on the same schedule.  5 site crews.  15 Shift Managers, 15 CRS, 15 SROs, 45 ROs,  and 90 AOs.  This does not include Work Control and OPs Standards.

Fermi2

« Reply #84 on: Jul 30, 2005, 02:09 »
WOW!! That's a LOT of Operators!

Mike

shayne

« Reply #85 on: Jul 30, 2005, 08:24 »
Breaking it down, at the same levels here at Fermi.  1 SM, 1 CRS, 1 STA, 3 NSOs and 6 NOs per shift.

Fermi2

« Reply #86 on: Jul 30, 2005, 08:47 »
Most multi unit sites have one SM per shift for all units. One CRS per each unit (one of whom acts as an STA). Maybe a WCSRO . 2 RO's per each unit.

Mike

JnyMac

« Reply #87 on: Jul 30, 2005, 09:09 »
I know its a ton.  We also have 5 SMs on special projects and I think 5 CRS as WCSRO.  Lots of retiremnets coming and lots of room for advancement.

Fermi2

« Reply #88 on: Jul 31, 2005, 11:46 »
Man you'd never get me to move to Arizona. Southern Tennessee is about as close to heaven as I've ever been.

Mike

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #89 on: Aug 01, 2005, 08:47 »
I have lived in both places.
I think Arizona has a much better climate, and the golf courses are definitely better.
But, Tennessee has the long-term work and Arizona has 30-day outages.
No humidity and sparse rain gives Arizona the nod.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #90 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:10 »
Man you'd never get me to move to Arizona. Southern Tennessee is about as close to heaven as I've ever been.

Mike

Then you must have never been outside Tenn. I'll take the west anyday, some of the northeast, a bit of the west coast, than if I ma forced, a touch of western SC. To each his own but trust me, anywhere in Tenn is nowhere near heaven.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Fermi2

« Reply #91 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:42 »
Then you must have never been outside Tenn. I'll take the west anyday, some of the northeast, a bit of the west coast, than if I ma forced, a touch of western SC. To each his own but trust me, anywhere in Tenn is nowhere near heaven.

Assuming makes you look ignorant my friend. I've lived in Ohio, Florida, Illinois, Arizona, California, Michigan, Idaho, Washington State and have been to all 50 states except Alaska. So I'd like to think I know a little bit about the Various areas :)

Mike

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #92 on: Aug 01, 2005, 05:11 »
Must have been to the wrong parts or just blew through. I've been to all of them including Alaska, lived for more than a year in NY, VA, SC, NC, GA, FL, OR, CA, UT NJ, DE. I stand by my observation, including the part that says each to his own. I have met people in every place I ever went, including Barstow, that loved their community more than anywhere. TN is just not my cup of tea.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

raymcginnis

« Reply #93 on: Aug 01, 2005, 08:29 »
Unfortunately all of my information is old.  I was there 15 years ago.  I must have liked it though, because I went there for a 3 month outage and stayed for a year and a half.  It taught me how to drink water and I still do that no matter where I am.  Some of the politics scared me so I hid in radwaste.  That was just me coming out of DOE into power plant politics again though.  I really have no complaints except for an apartment full of scorpions when they plowed a field next to my apartment and getting sick when they chopped cotten on the way to work.

People talked about other people to me and I actually liked everyone there.  I just sat and listened and then went back to work.

Dry heat depends on your body.  Some people have low circulation and love the heat.  To me, I sweated so much, I was in 100% humidity from my own sweat.  Radwaste is not air conditioned, so sweat was my middle name.  The evaporator room was killer in the summer.  The crane in storage broke down over high rad storage and required constant coverage because they had to go beyond the locked gate.  At 3 AM, up near the ceiling, it was 130 degrees.  If I fanned myself too fast, I sweated more.

In the winter, the winds would chill you to the bone.  I did stay there for 1.5 years though.  It was all bearable.  I had fun there.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: Aug 02, 2005, 07:31 »
As much fun as people are having debating Tennessee's merits or lack thereof, how did this get started in Palo Verde's topic? Did they move the plant? If so, this belongs in SloGlo's Nuke News section.

Back on topic, all of you!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

JnyMac

AO Jobs
« Reply #95 on: Aug 12, 2005, 08:30 »
We just heard today from our OPs Director that we will be looking to hire 12 new AOs before the first of the year.  The last time all they would except was prior operations exp. or Navy Nuke.  I don't know if the same can be said for this time but i am betting on it.  So get those resumes updated. 

The following link is where it should get posted

http://www.pinnaclewest.com/main/pnw/careers/default.html

I'll update you guys when more information is available.

Jen-Jen

« Reply #96 on: Oct 03, 2005, 11:16 »
Any more info on the AO jobs?  I went to the link but it wasn't posted.  I'd like to apply but I have no idea who to send my resume to.

JnyMac

« Reply #97 on: Oct 03, 2005, 12:08 »
No news yet.  We are going through a ton of changes right now.  Going from an INPO 1 to a 3 will do that to you.  When we hear anything I try to get a post out.

Offline gmoney

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Palo Verde Crack down on out of State Plates.
« Reply #98 on: Oct 10, 2005, 11:08 »
 8)

You might want to figure in a trip to DMV to  register out of  state vehicles while working at PV.

See link and article below

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1010outofstate.html

Out-of-state plates draw crackdown

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2005, 12:59 by PWHoppe »

Offline hollywoodparke

• Light User
  • Game Back On, Hockey Rules
This article ran in Monday's paper in Phoenix http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/1010outofstate.html. It really pissed me off and I called my state representatives and e-mailed the governor of AZ . Hopefully they will understand our side of the story and realize that it is just not realistic for roadtechs to register there vehicles in four or five states per year. I encourage all travelers to contact there representatives and thet them know that this is something that just can't be done.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2005, 12:11 by hollywoodparke »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Well this sure goes waaaayyy beyond raising the rent or your prices when you hear "I'm here for the outage".

I spent 30 minutes trying to find someone to email concerning this and just decided I'd write a letter to the editor of the paper and see what happens. (Update later). I did discover that John McCain is the Senator.

I think they should have people at the borders handing out flyers (like they did this week in Florida) telling you that if you come in the state to work you can be fined for not changing your plate immediately (get real people).

Better yet, maybe the facility (since they said they approved) should be forced to include this information in any future contracts and include the price of a new tag or fine for each contractor in the price they are going to pay the company (can't see that happing).

Can you imagine the insurance nightmare here? I don't understand how the state can even get away with this and I can see LAW SUIT in the future.

Last word ... I wonder if this fine or new tag would qualify as a work related expense???
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2005, 12:59 by Camella Black »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
An excerpt of the linked article includes:

"...State law defines a resident as a person employed in Arizona or someone who remains here for seven months or more in a calendar year. Temporary workers are given a three-month grace period. But once that time is up, residents should get their plates changed or risk going to court..."

It sounds there like anyone there less than three months should be able to beat it in court, although it is annoying that anyone should have to go to court over this in the first place. Does anyone have recent experience with going to an AZ traffic court over this issue? Would like to hear from anyone who has gone all the way through this process.

Offline hollywoodparke

• Light User
  • Game Back On, Hockey Rules
« Reply #102 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:29 »
The problem with going to court to fight the ticket is that the court date will usually be after the outage is over and you are at your next job. So now you are forced to pay the fine just because you can't be there or not pay the fine and risk a bench warrant which becomes a security issue. They ran the story on the local tv news and made it sound like they were going after all kinds of people but the only citations that the article talked about was the people at Palo. They have done this in the past also to Palo workers.
I also talked to the APS spokesman Jim Mcdodnald about this and he had the attitude that we pay well at Palo so you can afford to pay registration and that he didn't feel that he would lose any workers over this. I told him that he was wrong on both issues.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2005, 11:33 by hollywoodparke »

shayne

« Reply #103 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:42 »
Lets say that I do make good money and could afford to pay the registration, who wants to wait in line at the DMV every couple of months?  What if I rent a car with out of state plates?

jeremyrutherford

« Reply #104 on: Oct 12, 2005, 10:25 »
Mr. Hollywood,
I totally agree with your stance, I think it is crap that they single out the workers at Palo but say they are ticketing all people who come into the state.  I haven't seen those bastards at the RV park ticketing the SnoBirds that come into the state for months at a time.  Also Mr. McDonald needs to pay us a little more than that to assume that we can afford to license a rig that is going to cost 500 to use for 3 months

Jeremy

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #105 on: Oct 13, 2005, 04:57 »
Used to be an awesome place to work.  Now, low pay, low per-diem, high cost of living.  Most of the  guys running the show (HP/RP) are ex-road techs. Unfortunately, apparently, they've forgotten where
they come from.  Not to say they're bad guys, they've just lost touch with reallity.  They all came in when the cost of living was low and you could rent an apartment for $300 a month, the outages lasted for years, and you could really sock the money away.  Unfortunatley, that's not the case anymore.

Offline felchie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #106 on: Oct 14, 2005, 11:05 »
I hear all 3 units are down now, good luck finding workers.....

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #107 on: Oct 15, 2005, 07:58 »
unit 3 will be back online again...they were just down a week ago!
unit 2....RCP lube oil lift pump probs....gotta fix it!
unit 1....Day 8 of outage & Rx Head still on....flooded the 114' while adding H2O to x-fer canal yesterday(thanx ops)....we are prob 4 days behind...
X-mas in Phx Sux!!!!
No techs to find....i think we went in 8-9 short....that alone tells you who GREAT this place is!!! :P
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2005, 08:00 by RRhoads »

Fermi2

« Reply #108 on: Oct 15, 2005, 08:44 »
unit 3 will be back online again...they were just down a week ago!
unit 2....RCP lube oil lift pump probs....gotta fix it!
unit 1....Day 8 of outage & Rx Head still on....flooded the 114' while adding H2O to x-fer canal yesterday(thanx ops)....we are prob 4 days behind...
X-mas in Phx Sux!!!!
No techs to find....i think we went in 8-9 short....that alone tells you who GREAT this place is!!! :P

2 and 3 are down for an ECCS Design Issue. They entered 3.0.3 over it. ECCS DEsign Issues are not usually solved over night. The issues you just listed are minor compared to the one they reported to the NRC. It might be awhile.

Mike

JnyMac

« Reply #109 on: Oct 15, 2005, 09:25 »
The latest is the calculations for the ECCS design are being completed by an outside firm.  The problem we have Millstone just completed an OD for and was virually word for word to ours.  They believe the calcs will come back Monday sometime.  We should be able to start up after that.

Fermi2

« Reply #110 on: Oct 15, 2005, 09:52 »
The latest is the calculations for the ECCS design are being completed by an outside firm.  The problem we have Millstone just completed an OD for and was virually word for word to ours.  They believe the calcs will come back Monday sometime.  We should be able to start up after that.

That is if you can get the NRC to accept it. I'm wondering if this effects St Lucie too.

ECCS Issues are HARD to shake!! I feel for you guys.

Mike

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #111 on: Oct 15, 2005, 10:20 »
thought there was some temp issue associated with the RWST????
Conn. ain't as hot as the phx desert.

Fermi2

« Reply #112 on: Oct 15, 2005, 11:26 »
thought there was some temp issue associated with the RWST????
Conn. ain't as hot as the phx desert.

Nope, it was a gas stripping issue while on the RWST which somehow effected the NPSH available when the ECCS transfers to the Recirc Mode.

(For you BWR Sailors this is roughly when HPCI transfers to the suppression pool except it occurs at the RHR level.)

Mike

JnyMac

« Reply #113 on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:21 »
Actually the CE FSAR calculations covered the issue.  They had a Plant Review Board last night and are going to the NRC for permission to start up today.  They didn't have enough time to evaluate the FSAR fo the questions asked so we went to 3.03.

ronald r como

palo verde
« Reply #114 on: Oct 18, 2005, 09:32 »
any truth to the rumor i heard about the pay rate of $16.00 for a senior hp tech? and they staffed it?

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #115 on: Oct 19, 2005, 07:58 »
that is a non-outage RP tech wage...there are people who stay in between outages or come in too early...most local but some roadtechs.
wage is still low for outage...23 & 80 is maxed out outage SR RP tech returnee.
No they did NOT staff the outage w/ all the techs they wanted...somewhere around -9...
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2005, 07:59 by RRhoads »

Havasu_Dude

« Reply #116 on: Oct 19, 2005, 08:04 »
      $16 hr was the rate for a <3 year SR non-returnee at the U2 SGRP.  $17 hr is the non-outage rate for a > 7 year SR non-outage. I had a friend work U2 SGRP and they were < 3 year SR. and did not ask what the pay rate was. Found out though

M1Ark

Re: Palo Verde AO Jobs
« Reply #117 on: Nov 15, 2005, 03:53 »
Is this a union position and are the reactor operators union at Palo Verde?  How long does it take to go to license class from initial hire?

JnyMac

« Reply #118 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:39 »
Not a Union position.  Only our security guards are union.  I would say anywhere from 3 to 5 years from hire date.  It really depends on the person and the size of the class.  The upcoming class only had 8 volunteers for 7 position.  We will also be losing 30% to 50% of our License guys in the next 5 to 7 years.

M1Ark

« Reply #119 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:42 »
Why are so few bidding into license class?  Probably not an easy answer.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #120 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:19 »
Are they taking ex Navy nukes ONLY, again? (or manager's kids?)

workinman

« Reply #121 on: Nov 15, 2005, 11:14 »
Tell us how you really feel Doctor?

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #122 on: Nov 16, 2005, 02:02 »
"Tell us how you really feel Doctor?"

Don't get me started there, Dr. Phil.  You know exactly how I feel about it.  They go from one extreme to the next with their hiring.  One time, they'll only hire the kids of APS employees and when
that gives them not the desirable results they were hoping to acheive, they go to next extreme and only hire ex-nukes with degrees, (for an entry level job, "Aux operator trainee" mind you).  There's no middle ground with these guys.  Tell brother Theo hello for me.

JnyMac

« Reply #123 on: Nov 16, 2005, 03:15 »
As far as bidding the RO jobs it is a multitude of things.  Pay, Fishbowl, Bulls%$& etc.

Atomic Punk I have no clue what they will be doing this time. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

M1Ark

« Reply #124 on: Nov 29, 2005, 12:23 »
JnyMac,

When is the start date for this class and how many are they hiring?

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #125 on: Dec 22, 2005, 02:28 »
What's the latest on the AO "trainee" jobs? 

pedro

« Reply #126 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:48 »
Could any of you tell me who or where to contact if I'm interested in getting info. on job availability at the Palo Verde Plant.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #127 on: Jan 13, 2006, 02:22 »
Go to www.aps.com, click on 'employment'. 

pedro

« Reply #128 on: Jan 13, 2006, 12:40 »
thanks

Jen-Jen

« Reply #129 on: Jan 13, 2006, 04:40 »
Does anyone know if they have started interviewing yet?  Or when the AO class is supposed to start?

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #130 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:31 »
Unless you're ex-Navy, related to someone, or L.D.S., you probably won't be granted an interview.

pedro

« Reply #131 on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:37 »
so as a navy elt, getting an interview isnt as difficult compared to if i wasnt? I didnt think it would help much at all.

Jen-Jen

« Reply #132 on: Jan 20, 2006, 07:43 »
So anyway... have they started interviewing AO's yet? I've applied and just want to know if I was blown off or they haven't started yet.

That said, when is the next AO class supposed to start?

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #133 on: Jan 26, 2006, 11:42 »
What's going on with unit 1????
New Generators in & only 26 % power after a month of running!?!??!
Whats going on...hummmmm........
Maybe that "vodoo" plate modifiaction went even further south?
Hearing some rumors in the wind..

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #134 on: Feb 03, 2006, 07:53 »
well since all is MUM on what's up with unit 1...
PV has FINALLY raised the pay rate by 3 bucks! at this place..wasn't enough to get me though!!!
Per Diem is FINALLY marginal to 90 buck a day!
Good thing ya don't have to work hard for that wage! :P

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #135 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:21 »
WOW!  $23 DOLLARS PER HOUR!  $90 DOLLARS A DAY!  How can they afford to pay people that much?!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #136 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:34 »
they gotta be scrappin the bottom of the barrel!....they were for the last generator replacement! I was there!
the rate is 26 bucks/hr for a >7yr/returnee..but they only work ya 60's ...for those who like 72's..
That's about middle---upper middle of the road--considering the hrs worked & no bonus...one could probably shave off 3 bucks/hr for non-returnee & a <7 yr/tech non-returnee gets < than that....
what's up w/ Unit 1
c'mon guys.....there are regulars from the plant who lurk & post here!!!!
NRC must have their toungs!!! :o

HPKC

« Reply #137 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:25 »
I just worked the Palo Unit 1 SGRP as a first time 3.1 senior and was asked to stay on after the outage (just body counted Friday). My pay rate as a local was $25 per hour in outage, $16 out of outage (working 40's).  A >7 year senior who worked along side of me until Friday was paid $23 in outage (plus per diem) and $16 out of outage (plus per diem).  As a junior R.P. Tech >12 months, I made $18 as a local and I know a new Jr. who made $16 as a local during outage.  I find it hard to believe that senior road techs with <3 years were making $16 during the outage.  A junior road tech >12 mos. who stayed with me during Palo's Unit 2 SGRP made $15 or $16 (plus per diem).  They can't be paying Jr. and Sr.s the same. Maybe, but hard to believe.

The word is Palo will up the wages with the next outage beginning in April.

By the way, Palo is taking applications externally for house R.P. positions.  If I remember correctly, the cut off date is February 17th.  Go to Pinnaclewest.com for information.

Unit 1 has vibration in a pipe (?).  They tried to install a vortex plate during the SGRP to fix it, but had to take it out.  Next they tried weights on the line, but also had to take them out.  I believe the plan is now to install snubbers.  Thus, if I remember correctly, the plant was only running at about 20 some odd percent last week.  Can't bring her up until the vibration is fixed or managed in some way.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #138 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:05 »
Local pay rate $25 per hour in outage, $16 per hour out of outage?!  They have separate pay rates for in/out of outage?!!!  You've GOT to be kidding me!  Oh well.
As long as people keep filling slots for that money, APS will keep low balling on the pay.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #139 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:16 »
c'mon punk...i thought i told you all that???
HPKC...the rates i gave in my last post were the rates given to me from the office last week for the upcoming outage in the spring...couple hundred a week isn't much of a bump...glad it happened...was long over-due.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #140 on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:31 »
A section of safety injection piping realized increase in vibration following startup after a refueling a few cycles ago. The only big ticket items during that outage were core barrel inspection and greater-than-usual number of SG tubes plugged. The hope, of course, was that the latter would prove to be the culprit; unfortunately, with brand new, mostly not plugged SGs the problem did not go away. Unit 1 will shut down next weekend for 6 days to install two pressure transmitters on SI piping in an attempt to gather more precise data about the vibration. Ultimate fix (at this point, anyway) is to shut down in June and relocate suction valve such that it is physically closer to the RCS.

Fermi2

« Reply #141 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:43 »
At what power is the Unit currently operating?

JnyMac

« Reply #142 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:38 »
I believe they are currently sitting around 25%.  We can't seem to get the rid of the vibes.

Fermi2

« Reply #143 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:47 »
Have they determined the root cause? It doesn't make sense to just sit at 25% power for months if you know what the cause is and can't fix it at power. Unless of course you're at a peak season and every bit helps.

Mike

GoingCivilian

« Reply #144 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:18 »
Hello All. I've been browsing this site now for a few hours and can't tell you how excited I am about the plethora of information here. It looks like quite a few of you spend a good deal of time here answering questions for newbies like me, so thank you.

Anyway, looking to move back to AZ. I love the Phoenix area. Getting out of the NAVY after 6 1/2 years of fun in July 2006. Was not going to stay in the nuclear community until I realized that most of the things I don't like about being a navy nuke would go away if I was a civilian...

I started on the Thomas Edison Nuc degree, but changed to Old Dominion University Mech Eng Tech. Needless to say, the curriculum is more extensive. I've taken 35 credit hours of engineering classes and still have about 6 or seven classes left.

Most of the posts I have seen to do with my questions are a little outdated, so I thought I might throw them up again. I apologize if I just missed them.

Are they currently hiring Operators at Palo Verde?
What is the salary I could expect initially and later on (year or 2)?
Will not being finished with my degree hinder getting hired?
I have always been a hot runner. Will this open doors for promotions or opportunites?
Is there a class up coming up soon?
Didn't see operator jobs posted on website or monster, so if they are hiring who should I contact? I saw info for Reggie Taylor, but it was a couple years ago.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #145 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:33 »
JnyMac, you wanna take this one?   ;D

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #146 on: Apr 02, 2006, 05:27 »
Wow!  Atlantic has a posting for techs at PV, and they're taking 18.1's now? 
Hmmmmmmmmm.................Ti mes are a changin'.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #147 on: Apr 02, 2006, 10:40 »

When I looked, it said $30/hr and $60/day

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #148 on: Apr 02, 2006, 04:47 »
$60/day was decent per-diem, back in '93. ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #149 on: Apr 02, 2006, 08:52 »
$60/day was decent per-diem, back in '93. ;)
No it wasn't ;)  But that is what they paid then, lol.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #150 on: Apr 02, 2006, 11:40 »
Does anything... like maybe the date of the posting... sound a little fishy?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #151 on: Apr 03, 2006, 03:47 »
Does anything... like maybe the date of the posting... sound a little fishy?
Got a Band-Aid to cover the hole in my cheek where the hook went through? :)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #152 on: Apr 03, 2006, 05:58 »
No way!  It looks like this one is real.  That $30/hr is about a fair wage, but the $60 per diem in Phoenix, AZ is an insult.
People had better stop thinking of pay and per diem as being interchangeable, otherwise its all going to be taxable before long.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #153 on: Apr 03, 2006, 10:03 »
Wow!!  Times are changin'.  We recently had a posting for FOUR SR's (4) F-O-U-R!!  And only 8 people applied.  2 contractors, 2 JRS, 1 QC Contractor, and the rest Navy.  I didn't see any of your names that applied.  Stop whining!!  You had a chance if you are really looking for a way to survive with a good paying job!!  Damn!!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #154 on: Apr 03, 2006, 11:46 »
Dude, working 60hrs a week for 30 an hour with 60 a day diem is an offer I can refuse.   And if you are talking about a house job, who said we all want to be house?  Get real.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #155 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:51 »
Wow!!  Times are changin'.  We recently had a posting for FOUR SR's (4) F-O-U-R!!  And only 8 people applied.  2 contractors, 2 JRS, 1 QC Contractor, and the rest Navy.  I didn't see any of your names that applied.  Stop whining!!  You had a chance if you are really looking for a way to survive with a good paying job!!  Damn!!

hum....lets see.
I have worked many times at PV most recently the last SGR.
The plant is OK...not too bad.
As for the "surviving" part.
That's BS!!!!
Not EVERYONE likes 115 degree summers...that last almost 5 months!!
& traffic out the pooper in Phoenix & Avondale...
The drive to the plant, even from Avondale is 40 min.
Folks have "survived" without going house at PV for a long time.
If you like it there, great for you, Phoenix & the surrounding areas
are not EVERYONE'S cup of tea.
Best move i made was getting out of Phoenix, AZ. 15 years ago.
As far as the number of applicants goes....see the above comments!

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #156 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:06 »
Folks have "survived" without going house at PV for a long time.
If you like it there, great for you, Phoenix & the surrounding areas
are not EVERYONE'S cup of tea.

Couldn't agree with you more! I happen to be one of those oddballs that LIKE Phoenix, but driving forever to a plant that is (as you said) "OK" , for an unrealistic amount of money, is not going to lure me. I'll visit friends and relatives there and leave the PV experience to others. Best to the family RR.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #157 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:51 »
AZKidd, no offense, but are posting in the right forum?  You don't even work at Palo Verde, do ya?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #158 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:56 »
It's talk about PV, not talk about AZ Kid's argumentive comment.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #159 on: Apr 04, 2006, 04:14 »

Couldn't agree with you more! I happen to be one of those oddballs that LIKE Phoenix, but driving forever to a plant that is (as you said) "OK" , for an unrealistic amount of money, is not going to lure me. I'll visit friends and relatives there and leave the PV experience to others. Best to the family RR.

Thanks..Hope your liking the "pearl". ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #160 on: Apr 04, 2006, 05:20 »
Did they shut down the Unit that had the vibration problems yet?

Mike

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #161 on: Apr 05, 2006, 05:27 »
Edited to say, "It's been in mode 3 for several days; outage will start next week (as far as we know..."
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2006, 05:28 by rjc2112 »

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #162 on: Apr 12, 2006, 09:43 »
whats up???
All units down today & 40 some RP techs short???
OUCH!!!!! :D

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #163 on: Apr 13, 2006, 07:49 »
Actually Unit 2 is currently at 11% and rising, and we're more like 20 techs short. You're on yer way, right...?  ;)

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #164 on: Apr 13, 2006, 10:01 »
naah...got invited but declined.....i took a house job. ;)

reytrejo

« Reply #165 on: Apr 29, 2006, 04:54 »
For the guy wondering about OPS hiring-  I think they plan on hiring some guys in about 6 months.  October time frame.  Send me your email and resume and I'll let you know when they post it on the website and get it to someone as well.  Good luck!  reytrejo@yahoo.com

solidsnake6844

Internship at Palo Verde!
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2006, 11:52 »
If anyone knows if they are going to have any summer interns for PVNGS please e-mail me at solidsnake6844@juno.com. If anyone at all knows of any I would like to know ASAP.
Jon Urban

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #167 on: Jun 06, 2006, 09:42 »
what's up at unit 1...i see it's still down!....re-routing SDC lines sucks i bet!

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #168 on: Jun 07, 2006, 12:49 »
Well, it is a suction line, you know... ;)

Currently loading fuel; breakers closed forecast for 6/16.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #169 on: Jun 07, 2006, 09:24 »
sounds good..hope THIS fix works ;)

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #170 on: Jul 01, 2006, 07:38 »
Okay, Unit 1 didn't make it by 6/16, but it is in mode 3 and will likely close breakers tomorrow.  :D

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #171 on: Jul 12, 2006, 02:44 »
All right, we didn't make it by the second, but Unit 1 is currently at 92% and rising. Mission, it appears, accomplished!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #172 on: Jul 12, 2006, 09:11 »
wow..you guys were down a while...glad to hear you got it behind you! :)
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2006, 11:02 by RRhoads »

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #173 on: Jul 13, 2006, 02:13 »
One hundred eleven days.... :o

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #174 on: Jul 13, 2006, 09:19 »
holy crap!
shades of 89'

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #175 on: Sep 20, 2006, 10:59 »
Geesh...an ~8 week run and unit 1 is back down...it just keeps getting worse!
Sorry RjC..it's not you, it's your management & their mentality
So much for that great PZR heater replacement...the last one fixed should have been the longest to run.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #176 on: Sep 21, 2006, 12:17 »
I hear ya. From what I gather, 36 shiny new heaters arriving onsite today. Current forecast is 15 days; see me later for revisions...

On a completely unrelated note, have you ever heard Ziggy Marley's *Lee and Molly*?

Cheers...

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #177 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:17 »
nope haven't heard tht one b4..
hiring extra contractors for the dueling outages??
good luck to ya tho! ;)

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #178 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:50 »
"hiring extra contractors for the dueling outages??"

C'mon now, you know how challenging it is for us to even staff a scheduled outage, people taking house jobs and all...  ;)

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #179 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:44 »
wow....you got me there!
Kinda weird not being there this time of year but..ya know! ;)
Good luck to ya! :)

HPKC

« Reply #180 on: Sep 24, 2006, 02:26 »
Been talking to RP management about the difficulty Palo has staffing outages.  They went to Bartlett with it and Bartlett said raise your wages.  Palo did (last spring - outage wages only tho') and still they have trouble with staffing outages.

Would like some feedback from road techs (RP and Decon) on why they don't work Palo. Is the main reason wages, cost of housing, distance to plant, 60 hours per week, too far from home state, doesn't mesh with other outages, or what?  Would you consider Palo if they offered a bonus to returnees?

Will present the feedback to management so bring it on!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #181 on: Sep 24, 2006, 11:36 »
This is all BS..
I heard the same stuff when i was there for the last SGR!
It was related to the "QUALITY" of some of the techs that were there as well as the shortage. And the issues HAVE been discussed here.
The "bonus" being part of the returnee wage IS already in place & still folks will not go....figure that one out!
Low wages for non-returnees...
Per-diem was JUST raised to what the other plants were paying BEFORE the fall per diem increases.
When the wages are already low & a 12 hr OT day(60's vs. 72's) is not offered, 450 bucks is a chunk of change over a 6 week(example) outage.
Housing is EXPENSIVE!!!! that's if one can even rent something...most is taken by the local AF base people..try a grand a month short-term housing on 80 bucks a day diem + gas + food
The drive from Avondale or Buckeye sucks! And is only made worse w/ the price of fuel.
Besides you guys will just keep recruiting Jr's/Deconners from the local college & your "regulars" you get for every outage & hope for the best.
Hate to say it but you guys deserve this situation you're in...PV has gotten by like this for a LOOONG time, at least the 5 years i used to go.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2006, 11:46 by RRhoads »

HPKC

« Reply #182 on: Sep 25, 2006, 11:27 »
Thanks for the reply RRhoades.  I've printed it and will present it to management along with any others I get.

Here are the current rates for Palo Verde:

3-5 yr. Sr. R.P. $19/hr
3-5 yr. Sr. R.P. Returnee $22/hr (Returnee being having worked one of last two outages)

5-7 yr. Sr. R.P. $21/hr
5-7 yr. Sr. R.P. Returnee $24/hr

>7 yr. Sr. R.P. $23/hr
>7 yr. Sr. R.P. Returnee $26/hr

Jr. R.P. $15/hr (6-18 mo)
Jr. R.P. $17/hr (>18 mo - 3 yr)

All of the above get $90 a day per diem.  I'm a 1-3 yr. Sr. R.P., returnee, who lives local and I make $29/hr in outage.

I'd like some feed back from road techs on how these rates stack up against other plants and if you'd be willing to work Palo at these rates.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2006, 11:30 by HPKC »

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #183 on: Sep 26, 2006, 02:52 »
With due respect to the folks that work each PV outage, the following is worth pondering as well: at the offered rate of pay and per diem, what would lure someone to this facility, not only "in the middle of nowhere" but quite a hike from most other plants, knowing they will never get more than 60 hours in a week? That's not what the rest of the industry is doing...

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #184 on: Sep 26, 2006, 10:45 »
They need to do away with the "(Returnee being having worked one of last two outages)" policy.  Pay everyone the higher rate (HIGHER than $26 hr) and they'll get alot of the REAL returnees back.

Raise the per-diem to the Gov. rate.

Give people the 'option' to work 72 hours like they used to.

To all the ex-contractors who are now in-house and in charge:  Remember how you liked/wanted to be treated when you were still one of us.  Alot of us can remember what you guys used to be like.  Can you?

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2006, 03:32 by Colonel Angus »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #185 on: Sep 26, 2006, 11:24 »

I'm a 1-3 yr. Sr. R.P., returnee, who lives local and I make $29/hr in outage.

There's part of the problem right there.  Let's use this as a hypothetical example.
I have over 17 years as a Sr. H.P.  Most of that time is in PWR's not significantly different from PV.
You, with your <3 yrs would be making $6/hr more than I would.  SIX DOLLARS!! for 14 fewer years experience than I have and a zip code closer to the plant than mine, you get SIX FREAKIN' DOLLARS an hour more than me?!?!?!
Let's knock off the BS about making up for Per diem.  Per diem is reimbursement for living expenses incurred away from home - PERIOD!!!!!  It would cost me about $135 a day in additional living expenses to come and work where you live - costs that you won't incur while returning to your own home every night.
If you are working at your home plant you (or I) are not entitled to per diem nor any substitute for it.  So, when that is taken out of the equation, the fact remains that your hours are compensated at a higher rate than mine would be.  It has been said that one reason is that "locals" (returnee or not) are more desirable than travellers for reasons that are too vairied and insignificant to discuss here.  What's left is that they seem to want you more for that job than they want me.  Guess what???  They're going to get their wish.

Secondly, I agree with the Colonel.  According to the returnee policy, a tech who has worked 8 of the last 10 PV outages isn't a returnee if he missed the last two, but someone who has worked only one outage in his life is a returnee if it was one of the last two at PV.

Third, 60 hrs is a killer when there are still some plants allowing you to work 84 and the majority work you 72.

Bottom line:  To come work there, I would have to spend my per diem PLUS part of my wages (which are already lower than yours) to pay my living costs, and then work only 5 days a week.  I'd have to drive 40 minutes each way from Buckeye or Gila Bend with all those vanpool drivers who don't understand the difference between the passing lane and the right lane.  AND, when I finally arrive at work, Sheriff Joe's Posse will ticket me for having out of state license plates - and PV management will publicly agree to that.

No thanks.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2006, 03:31 by BeerCourt »

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #186 on: Sep 26, 2006, 12:01 »
BC ..i didn't know you were at the last SGRP for all that outta-state ticket BS :P
Seems all the reasons are out there....Who here thinks things will really change at PV???
Not I...
They need to get a few more under-staffed outages...maybe then the lite will flicker.
It was also said that ..well we don't pay what the other plants pay but you won't work very hard here.
I don't think that kind of mentality will feed the kitty anymore!
Pay up or shut up!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #187 on: Sep 26, 2006, 01:31 »
There's part of the problem right there.  Let's use this as a hypothetical example.
I have over 17 years as a Sr. H.P.  Most of that time is in PWR's not significantly different from PV.
You, with your <3 yrs would be making $3/hr more than I would.
Let's knock off the BS about making up for Per diem.  Per diem is reimbursement for living expenses incurred away from home - PERIOD!!!!!  It would cost me about $135 a day in additional living expenses to come and work where you live - costs that you won't incur while returning to your own home every night.
If you are working at your home plant you (or I) are not entitled to per diem nor any substitute for it.  So, when that is taken out of the equation, the fact remains that your hours are compensated at a higher rate than mine would be.  It has been said that one reason is that "locals" (returnee or not) are more desirable than travellers for reasons that are too vairied and insignificant to discuss here.  What's left is that they seem to want you more for that job than they want me.  Guess what???  They're going to get their wish.

Secondly, I agree with the Colonel.  According to the returnee policy, a tech who has worked 8 of the last 10 PV outages isn't a returnee if he missed the last two, but someone who has worked only one outage in his life is a returnee if it was one of the last two at PV.

Third, 60 hrs is a killer when there are still some plants allowing you to work 84 and the majority work you 72.

Bottom line:  To come work there, I would have to spend my per diem PLUS part of my wages (which are already lower than yours) to pay my living costs, and then work only 5 days a week.  I'd have to drive 40 minutes each way from Buckeye or Gila Bend with all those vanpool drivers who don't understand the difference between the passing lane and the right lane.  AND, when I finally arrive at work, Sheriff Joe's Posse will ticket me for having out of state license plates - and PV management will publicly agree to that.

No thanks.

Bravo, Kudo's,Right On!!!!! I could not have said it any better. The End.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #188 on: Sep 26, 2006, 03:36 »
BC ..i didn't know you were at the last SGRP for all that outta-state ticket BS :P

I wasn't.  But thanks to the magic of NukeWorker, those of you who were there for it shared that info with the rest of us.  Let's just say that there's nothing in this business that can be a secret anymore.

HPKC

« Reply #189 on: Sep 27, 2006, 10:41 »
Thanks for the replies.  I do appreciate them all.  The problem doesn't seem to be just money and that's what I wanted to find out.

BeerCourt I agree with you.  Why should I make more money than you as a just starting out senior? It doesn't seem fair in my book either and if I were where you are I'd probably feel the same way about it.

As for paying me more on the hour in lieu of per diem, that does seem to be the norm at the plants I've worked (I used to live in FL and traveled the east coast plants ~ still work them each spring). Six dollars more on the hour, maybe not that much, but they do pay the locals a few bucks more.

As for returnee bonuses, my belief is that has to do with training.  Duke's bonus is offered at the completion of the outage whereas Palo builds the bonus into the pay scale for returnees.  Duke offers their bonus if you've worked their plants within the past 18 (I believe) months~It's definitely 12 if not 18.  The point is they don't have to provide as much training to returnees as they do to those who haven't been there before, or to those who have been gone for a long time.  When working Palo I usually only have to take a few CBT courses before my badge is hung around my neck as my quals are still good from the last time I was there.  Same has happened at Duke.

I understand your point of view against paying me more on the hour in lieu of per diem and the returnee "bonus", but I do see where it's a norm across the industry to do both. Should the whole industry be re-vamped?  It's not just the "Palo Verde way".  As long as it's being offered, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth  ;D

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #190 on: Sep 27, 2006, 11:01 »
No way should you feel wrong about the money they're paying you.  But, I'm not going to get all joy-filled about the pittance that they are offering guys like me either.

The fact that a lot of plants are doing something doesn't cut it.  I was taught by my mother at a very young age that "everybody else was doing it" would not be an acceptable excuse.
Paying locals extra hourly in lieu of per diem is the EXACT same thing as paying travellers per diem in lieu of hourly pay.  That is what the IRS would love to prove.  As soon as the feds catch on, it's going to end the days of tax-free per diem altogether in this business.  They are not legally required to pay per diem to travellers.  They do it to get people to travel.  As soon as they start getting slapped by the IRS, they're just going to cut it all off.

All that stuff about returnees is true, but the monetary value of it is limited.  Look around you and see how many returnees can't do a job without being led by the hand.  Sure, I have to take about three more CBT's to get into PV than you do.  I also don't have to be told how to cover an RCP seal replacement, or a core barrel move, or an entry into any of the holes in a steam generator.  Maybe you don't either, but being a returnee isn't the reason why.  Neither you nor I have to ask for a lot of directions to get to a job location, and neither of us is going to be surprised by whatever we find there.

If PV still thinks that a returnee is worth an extra $3, that's fine.  I'm just not going to work there for $23 an hour.  There are just too many better options out there.

HPKC

« Reply #191 on: Sep 27, 2006, 12:17 »
BeerCourt what's the average pay at plants for someone with your experience?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #192 on: Sep 27, 2006, 02:26 »
There's no answer for that.
Not every plant differentiates by experience.  (This really p.o.'s the more experienced ones.)
There is a vast regional disparity between pay rates.
Those plants which do have progressive pay rates usually cut off at seven years.  I don't know why this number is significant.  Perhaps someone really believes that you can learn all there is to know in 7 years and coast for the next 20 on that.  OR. maybe anything that happened over 7 years ago is irrelevant to current methods.  Both assumptions are flawed.
There are also (as you should know) three widely different definitions of the word "average".  There is the mean, the mode, and the median.  Anyone can use whichever one of those suits his own argument.  Not having worked at all of the plants in the world, I don't personally have enough data points to calculate any average.

Most importantly, I do not CARE what the average is.  I don't decide on what is an acceptable pay rate based on any statistical formula.  I make a subjective judgement based on the offers in front of me at any given time.  I usually pick whatever job is going to be better for my family's interests overall.  (That means that I make short-term decisions with my eye on the log-term implications.)  Translate that to read: "where can I make the most money in the shortest time without killing all my other options?"  If an outage is scheduled so that I could have worked two others, but had to miss them both to do this one, I better bring home as much as I would have for BOTH of the other two or I'm going to choose the other two.  If I can get 3 weeks of 84's or 3 weeks of 60's, I'm going to do the 84's.  Sometimes higher pay makes up for fewer hours or shorter duration, but you put any combination of low pay, short hours, and/or short duration together and it will probably go to the bottom of my list.

As a side note, you don't see this in some specialties.  Some contractors (not HP) send people to whatever outage needs the people.  They pay them essentially the same no matter where they assign them, and give them all the hours they can.  Then, they send them right to where they need them next.  Employees don't hold the sites hostage over pay rates, hours or working conditions, and they don't have to.  These jobs are always staffed.  When's the last time you heard refuellers have discussions like the one here?

Palo Verde shouldn't care about the average either, at least not beyond using it as a reference point.  What they should care about is how much it will cost to get what they want - namely, the required number of qualified techs.  Arbitrarily offering incremental pay rates based on returnee status, etc. isn't going to guarantee this.  Essentially, they should be able to staff every outage with the exact same group of techs, save for those who cannot return because of prior committments. 
The fact that they need to pay people more to come back says something about the way they treated them the first time.  Why would a tech not want to return to a good job without being bribed?
If you're getting a really good percentage of returnees, then it is non-returnees you need to attract in order to get enough people.  So, in theory, a plant that treats people well enough that they don't mind coming back would actually have to offer more money to the NON-returnees.
Does that make sense?  NO!
How about this --- First, you pay people the same money for doing the same job.  If you hire two people who are both capable of covering high-risk work (like S/G's or Refueling) you should pay them the same, PERIOD!!  If you have two or three people who are so physically limited, or unreliable, or unskilled, or inexperienced, that they can't do anything but escort laundry and trash, why should they be getting paid the same as the heavy-hitters?
Second, you pay everybody enough to be competitive with all the other jobs they have to choose from.  You don't base your pay rates on the tourist attractions in the area, the climate, or the fishing, or "we won't work you as hard here".

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:17 »
I have been web deprived for a couple of weeks and missed this whole conversation... but I am very pleased to see that our official-unofficial-curmudgeon-at-large has once again stated his informed, intelligent opinion and covered the same ground I would have. Kudos to you, Troy, and well stated.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

DJM75

« Reply #194 on: Nov 22, 2006, 01:36 »
Hello everyone.  I'm a long time lurker to this site but I finally have a question or two.  I'm coming to PV on Dec 7th for POSS testing and interviews if I pass the tests for Nuclear Auxiliary Operator Trainee.  First do you guys have any suggestions for the testing and the interviews?  I've gone to a couple sites with the practice tests and am going to practice but I'm not sure what to expect in the interviews.  Next what is the pay for a trainee?  Last but not least what is the area like?  My family and I are from Oregon so we are not accustomed to the super heat that you get there.  Any help or suggestions would be great.
  Thank you,
          Don

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #195 on: Nov 22, 2006, 10:54 »
Hello everyone.  I'm a long time lurker to this site but I finally have a question or two.  I'm coming to PV on Dec 7th for POSS testing and interviews if I pass the tests for Nuclear Auxiliary Operator Trainee.  First do you guys have any suggestions for the testing and the interviews?  I've gone to a couple sites with the practice tests and am going to practice but I'm not sure what to expect in the interviews.  Next what is the pay for a trainee?  Last but not least what is the area like?  My family and I are from Oregon so we are not accustomed to the super heat that you get there.  Any help or suggestions would be great.
  Thank you,
          Don

Being that you're ex-navy, they'll love you for that.  Don't worry about the POSS test.  If I passed it, anyone can.  Just make sure you go to the bathroom before you begin testing because they won't let you go once it's started.  I had a pot of coffee in me and it wasn't much of a treat to sit like that for 3 hours.  The interview are the typical BS questions like "Did you ever disagree with a decision management made, and if so, how did you deal with it?" crap.  Tell them what they want to hear.

The area used to be awesome (15 years ago) but it totally sucks now.  It's turned into east, east, east L.A.  Traffic is horrible, everything's crowded all the time, and the cost of living is through the roof.  The pay PV offers doesn't cover the cost to live there, unless you like trailer living.  Some of the guys working there might disagree, but they bought their homes before the housing boom.  Expect home prices to be $350K (for the cheap ones) on up.

Sorry to sound so doom and gloom.  Good luck.

M1Ark

« Reply #196 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:10 »
When does the Spring outage start at Palo Verde and how long is it scheduled?

Thanks,

M1Ark

HPKC

« Reply #197 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:47 »
Spring outage starts about May 12th and is scheduled for 5 weeks.  Hubby, who works out there regularly, just said a notice put out yesterday has the outage starting May 19th and over June 24th.

Fermione

« Reply #198 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:45 »
If you like mexican food try Raul & Thereas at 519 Main Street in Avondale.  Great food for a good price.  Loved it 20 years ago, little place maybe 10 tables.  They have expanded but the quality of food is still there.
Fermione

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #199 on: Jan 27, 2007, 02:11 »
If you like mexican food try Raul & Thereas at 519 Main Street in Avondale.  Great food for a good price.  Loved it 20 years ago, little place maybe 10 tables.  They have expanded but the quality of food is still there.
Fermione

YES!  Two thumbs up for Raul and Theresa's.  A couple doors down from there is (at least when I was there) Tony's Mexican Food.  Great stuff as well.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #200 on: Jan 27, 2007, 10:21 »
NYPD has the best pizza anymore.....there is no good mex food there anymore.....phx SUX!!

M1Ark

« Reply #201 on: Jan 30, 2007, 03:11 »
Anyone know why Unit 3 shutdown yesterday?

DJM75

« Reply #202 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:32 »
battery testing

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #203 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:35 »
Anyone know why Unit 3 shutdown yesterday?

Unit 3 actually shut down early 1/27. DJM75 is correct about battery testing. An 18 month ST revealed diminished capacity (although still >100%), turning it into a 12 month ST. Twelve months is up in late April, but with the underabundance of regulatory margin the plant has at the moment, the decision was made to do it now. It's also warmer in the desert in late April than it is in late January..... ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #204 on: Apr 07, 2007, 08:23 »
If you had 2 days to kill while at Palo Verde for an interview what would you do?

Thanks

Justin

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #205 on: Apr 07, 2007, 08:42 »
Go to Vegas for a week, and forget the interview.
No,really.  I'd go see Camelback Mountain and catch a Diamondbacks game.  The stadium is way cool.  You can watch the game from the TGI Friday's in Left Field, or the Diamond Club in Right Field.  The food is fantastic and the bar is well stocked.  Not the best view of the game though.  Go early for a night game and have a few brews at Sliders.  It's right near the ticket windows on the walkway outside the stadium.  The bartenders are worth the visit.
Drive up north to Winslow and stand on a corner.  You can even buy that t shirt.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #206 on: Apr 07, 2007, 08:58 »
...or visit Alice Cooper'stown for those few brews before the game; it's a 3 minute walk from there to the stadium.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #207 on: Apr 10, 2007, 03:58 »
Thanks for the info!

Justin

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #208 on: Apr 11, 2007, 02:50 »
If you had 2 days to kill while at Palo Verde for an interview what would you do?

Ultra-light flights over the desert are beautiful. I will never forget it.

jimsoucie

« Reply #209 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:46 »
Hey just put my resume in for the Aux operator. Just wondering what the pay is like out there. Currently i am an NSO at Seabrook station but id like to get out west.  Also are my chances good having a degree and 4 years experience in commercial power

DJM75

« Reply #210 on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:08 »
Yes having a degreee and 4 years experience will give you a good chance here.  They are starting people off at about $4300/month then you get 2 raises as you get qualified you end up being paid aroun $32-33/hr once fully qualified.  They are talking about hiring those with degrees at a little higer rate to start but I believe once qualified the new people will all be at the same level.  Good Luck

Offline Raze

• Very Lite User
« Reply #211 on: Aug 18, 2007, 04:21 »
Ya there is a place right outside the plant where guys stay. I can't think of the name but can get you more information next tuesday. A lot of them drive 4 wheelers into work. LOL

Appreciated.  My truck is only 2WD, and the location doesn't sound particularly developed, but maybe there's more to it.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #212 on: Aug 18, 2007, 04:58 »
We may have our challenges out here, but the roads are paved...  ;)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #213 on: Aug 18, 2007, 09:53 »
Appreciated.  My truck is only 2WD, and the location doesn't sound particularly developed, but maybe there's more to it.

I'm betting he's referring to ATV's, not 4WD trucks.  Am I right Imaginos?  At least that's what I got and thought you confirmed with your response.   :P
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #214 on: Aug 18, 2007, 10:00 »
I'm betting he's referring to ATV's, not 4WD trucks.  Am I right Imaginos?  At least that's what I got and thought you confirmed with your response.   :P

I did indeed presume he meant ATV's, as I saw one guy riding one in every morning during the last outage, albeit with all the other traffic down W'burg Road...   :D

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #215 on: Aug 18, 2007, 12:41 »
Oh yes I meant ATVs and not that they need them for road conditions or whatever. Just because they are so close, and its cheaper on gas. :) Nothing to actually do with 4 wheel drive. :) Sorry for the confusion

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Palo Verde UE
« Reply #216 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:02 »

McBride

Re: Palo Verde UE
« Reply #217 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:16 »

duke99301

« Reply #218 on: Nov 02, 2007, 04:14 »
wow and I am at the site

RADBASTARD

« Reply #219 on: Nov 02, 2007, 04:38 »
Sounds like he was a computer programmer conractor from the phoniex area.
He says he usually drive his motorcycle to work and doesn't know how it got there.
I guess the FBI will do all the lie dectector tests and interviews to see if he knew or was full of crap and tried to blow up something inside.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #220 on: Nov 02, 2007, 04:44 »
I got the day off because of it. So I guess thats positive. Kinda scary though to think what coulda happened.

Here is local news;

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/1102paloverdebreach02-ON.html

Justin
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007, 04:44 by JustinHEMI05 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
When Computer Programmers attack.....
« Reply #221 on: Nov 02, 2007, 05:22 »
Sounds like he was a computer programmer conractor from the phoniex area.

Just in case you can't picture a computer programmer really sabotaging a major facility...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/04/18/state/n155559D22.DTL

Offline wainfiggitty

• Very Lite User
Carpooling at PVNGS?
« Reply #222 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:45 »
I just got an offer as an RP tech and am doing my research for moving into the area.  When I was interviewing there was a mention of people carpooling, and was wondering what routes are available?  I'm looking for a room to rent so it will help to know which routes would be close.

Thanks

duke99301

« Reply #223 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:11 »
get a place in Tolleson you will love it there and it is only 50 miles one way to the site nice cup of joe and a buttered roll.
and relax all the roads are the same during rush hour.
good luck

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #224 on: Dec 17, 2007, 12:00 »
Why Tolleson?  Why not Buckeye?

According to our facility info page:
http://www.nukeworker.com/maps/facility/PaloVerde1.html

There is a nice place in Tonopah:
http://www.google.com/local?radius=15&q=category:+Motels+%26+Hotels&near=85354

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #225 on: Dec 17, 2007, 12:04 »
While we are talking about Palo Verde…. 

Is anyone from the Phoenix area planning to attend the Waste Management Conference?  We will once again have a booth (#920).  Come by and visit us.

Picture of our booth from last year.

Here is a link to register, if money is tight, you might consider registering as a 'student' ($35).
http://www.wmsym.org/html/registration_center.cfm

Here is a link to all of the pictures we took last year:
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails-525.html

We'll be in booth 920, WAY in the back:

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007, 05:25 by Rennhack »

Winston_O_Boogie

« Reply #226 on: Jan 12, 2008, 10:50 »
Gotta tell you after 25 years in the civilian business (not a Navy Nuke, but an Engineering Officer), and numerous plants (as A-E, OEM, Utilitiy direct and contractor), I have never seen a more confusing and convoluted mess of engineering paperwork and paperwork traps than I have seen at Palo Verde.  I thought Exelon and FPL were harder than they had to be, but APS seems to have them beat, hands down.

Maybe the in-house team has it figured out, and I am sure there is a method to the madness, but it is painful to say the least.

At least the people are friendly and the money is pretty good.  It makes it tolerable.

Just sayin'......

jpaints

« Reply #227 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:39 »
hey new here trying to find out who to contact fro the outage at palos verde for crafts......

aps has no info that i can find? help???????? :D

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #228 on: Jan 20, 2008, 11:02 »
Atlantic Group had the contract for valve services and several others.  Bechtel had the main contract, but that might change since the last SGRP is over.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

jpaints

« Reply #229 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:28 »
I thought there was one coming up? in march or april?

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
« Reply #230 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:48 »
No, Unit 3 was the last unit to get new S/G's.  Unit 2 outage this spring should last 5-6 weeks or so.

ELTisELITE

« Reply #231 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:18 »
So im in the navy, in ELT(chem and radcon school) school at the moment, and the time to decide whether to extend my contract an extra two years or not is comin up.  so i either have 4 or 6 years left.  oh, and 90k bonus for that extra two years.  Im trying to decide whether reenlisting would be worth it? Or should i do six and out.  Im from wickenburg AZ and would love to move back and work at palo verde, im just trying to figure out if it would be worth it?  Also what kind of job opportunities would be available and the pay.  i know its a ways off but im trying to figure this all out here.  any advice or educated opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Fermi2

« Reply #232 on: Apr 08, 2008, 02:44 »
I bet a truly Elite ELT could use the search function and find the answer to many of these questions. Then again, I've yet to meet an Elite ELT.

Mike

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #233 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:09 »
OUCH!
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008, 05:15 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #234 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:48 »
So im in the navy, in ELT(chem and radcon school) school at the moment, and the time to decide whether to extend my contract an extra two years or not is comin up.  so i either have 4 or 6 years left.  oh, and 90k bonus for that extra two years.  Im trying to decide whether reenlisting would be worth it? Or should i do six and out.  Im from wickenburg AZ and would love to move back and work at palo verde, im just trying to figure out if it would be worth it?  Also what kind of job opportunities would be available and the pay.  i know its a ways off but im trying to figure this all out here.  any advice or educated opinions would be greatly appreciated.

90k is a lot of money...I'd stay in

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #235 on: Jul 21, 2008, 05:47 »
I am bumping these Palo Verde threads up. I am going this fall and would like to hear about how the last outage went from some that were there.

Did you work 6/12's?
What was good about the outage?
What was bad?
How was the staffing #'s and quality?
Did the outage go as planned or did it go over?
Would you go back?

I am looking forward to going, I sure liked working there 10 years ago.

Thanks for any responses.

Brett
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #236 on: Jul 22, 2008, 11:19 »
Bueller...Bueller...?

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #237 on: Jul 30, 2008, 12:51 »
I am bumping these Palo Verde threads up. I am going this fall and would like to hear about how the last outage went from some that were there.

Did you work 6/12's? Yep
What was good about the outage? I'm thinking...
What was bad? What could be bad about gainful employment..?
How was the staffing #'s and quality? Somewhere between "Yikes!" and "Holy crap!"  ;D
Did the outage go as planned or did it go over? It went as planned, just took longer than desired.
Would you go back? Yep

I am looking forward to going, I sure liked working there 10 years ago.

Thanks for any responses.

Brett

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #238 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:06 »
Thanks for the response. Your right, gainfull employment is a good thing.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #239 on: Aug 21, 2008, 12:17 »
Evidently everyone (else) in a position to answer is way too busy digging their continued employ or is too mesmerized in anticipation of the arrival of U1R14 to give an opinion. One may draw one's own conclusions...  ;D

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #240 on: Aug 21, 2008, 02:38 »
Are the contractors working 6-12's too???
Seems like the last time i was there, we were only working 5-12's.
The House peeops are top notch! IMHO tho, i cant stand the area...guess its bcuz i grew up there!

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #241 on: Aug 21, 2008, 06:00 »
Are the contractors working 6-12's too???

Yep.

Seems like the last time i was there, we were only working 5-12's.

Right you are. Five 12s was the norm for at least 15 years. It's a new day...

The House peops are top notch!

And it's an attitude like that, Mister, (well, yer work ethic doesn't hurt either...) that will keep your name out of the *Annoying Contractors* thread!  ;)

stownsend

Ideas for day trips from Scottsdale
« Reply #242 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:34 »
Does anyone have a day trip to recommend while in Scottsdale mid October? I've been tubing down the Salt River and my wife would like to see Sedona.I can't remember the route I took from Phoenix to Flagstaff that took me through the mountains and valleys southwest of Flagstaff.I think Grand Canyon is to far for a day trip,but I may be wrong.
Thank You
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2008, 09:35 by stownsend »

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
Re: Ideas for day trips from Scottsdale
« Reply #243 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:48 »
Steve,
The Canyon is a long trip for the day.  Nice trip is the 101 Loop to to 17 North.  Take 279 to Cottonwood, neat town.  89 to Sedona.  Good eats ($$$) at the L'Auberge.  Nice day trip and some very pretty country.
LM

GoLonghorns

« Reply #244 on: Mar 24, 2009, 02:25 »
Just my two cents for a current update for Palo Verde.  I recently (6 months ago) got out of the navy as a ET1 surface nuke.  I just started work at Palo Verde about a month ago and am now going through the NLO class.  For the first time ever, Palo Verde is combining the NLO-LOIT class for the General Fundamentals class and exam.  My assumption is to expedite the movement toward licensing classes.  Anyhow, the current NLO class just started a couple of weeks ago with another expected later in the year.  So far, I thoroughly enjoy the company and the area.  I am originally from Texas and expected to find employment at Comanche Peak, since I grew up in Fort Worth.  However fate landed me in the desert.  There is lots to do here and the environment is what I enjoy, albeit a little warmer than most would desire.  The company emphasizes safety, more so than the navy ever pretended to.  I am just totally blown away by the operations of the site.  I have nothing but great things to say about Palo Verde thus far.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #245 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:38 »
Talk is Talk and they have big pockets.  Better watch your back out there.  I know many out there, most near retirement, just waiting for the day and covering their own ass.  Glad you still have that watercolor picture they placed in front of your face!!

GoLonghorns

« Reply #246 on: Mar 25, 2009, 05:03 »
I appreciate the warning.  From what I have seen and heard here, things have changed a lot  since the NRC/INPO 4 ratings and they have done some house cleaning.  There are a lot of fresh out of the navy guys like myself out here and it seems like a changing of the guard for some of the older guys.  I know there are politics on the site, but no more or less than I would expect or what I have heard from friends working at other plants, and way less than I experienced in the navy.  Maybe it's evolving to working in the civilian world, but I took a pretty hefty cut in pay to get out of the navy and start at the bottom rung of a civilian plant and still everyday is great.  I love my job, so far, and maybe all of this is jaded by my time in the navy.  But if I can always compare my civilian employment to my navy time, I am pretty sure I will continually be amazed at how good life can be.

lb09

PALO VERDE INFO
« Reply #247 on: Apr 24, 2009, 12:20 »
Hello, I am getting ready to get out in Sep. I would like to work at Palo Verde (in AZ) Is there anyone out there who has any contacts there or preferably who works there that can tell me about working there. I am a MM qualified EWS and I have some Nuc Repair expierence also. Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

JustinHEMI05

Re: PALO VERDE INFO
« Reply #248 on: Apr 24, 2009, 01:23 »
Make sure you like 300F days and black widows.  8)

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #249 on: Apr 24, 2009, 01:46 »

Justin

Aww, come on.  What about Phoenix's New Years/Fiesta Bowl block parties?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #250 on: Apr 24, 2009, 06:16 »
Aww, come on.  What about Phoenix's New Years/Fiesta Bowl block parties?

I was talking about the plant.  8)

M1Ark

« Reply #251 on: Apr 30, 2009, 02:14 »

Justin

It's a dry heat.  110 in Phoenix is cooler than 95 in Michigan.

Stngray

« Reply #252 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:17 »
Hello, I am getting ready to get out in Sep. I would like to work at Palo Verde (in AZ) Is there anyone out there who has any contacts there or preferably who works there that can tell me about working there. I am a MM qualified EWS and I have some Nuc Repair expierence also. Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks.
Start here: https://careers.pinnaclewest.com/psp/pserprd/CUSTOMER/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL All hiring starts through the website. Doesn't look like any OPS posistions are posted right now, but should be within the next couple months. Next AO/LOIT class should start March 2010.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #253 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:58 »
M1Ark

You're dry heat theory is a farce!!  I can tell you this....being raised in AZ, living in AZ, 110 in Phoenix is HOT compared to being in the "swimming pool" relief of 95 in Michigan.  Visit once in a while and feel the truth!!  You might sweat some in 95 degree Michigan, but sweating is a cooling relief to the heat in AZ.  Don't ever try to confuse sweating, and not sweating!!

Fermi2

« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2009, 01:16 »
M1Ark and I worked in MIchigan together for 10 years. I'm pretty certain he knows what he's talking about. My guess is on his dumbest day he's smarter than you are as my past experiences with him indicate he's smarter than about 99% of the nuclear population and has a LOT more common sense to boot.

Mike

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2009, 01:44 »
It's a dry heat.  110 in Phoenix is cooler than 95 in Michigan.

M1Ark

You're dry heat theory is a farce!!  I can tell you this....being raised in AZ, living in AZ, 110 in Phoenix is HOT compared to being in the "swimming pool" relief of 95 in Michigan.  Visit once in a while and feel the truth!!  You might sweat some in 95 degree Michigan, but sweating is a cooling relief to the heat in AZ.  Don't ever try to confuse sweating, and not sweating!!

http://www.dayafterindia.com/may206/images/heat.jpg

http://www.formafeed.com/images/reference%20page%20images/heat_stress.JPG

...and if you are raising cattle in Australia:

http://afstropicaldairybreed.org/images/THIndex.jpg  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:28 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Duke Nuker

• Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2009, 08:36 »
Having lived in Phoenix, we used to tell the tourists - Sure it's a dry heat, but it's dry heat inside a pizza oven, too.

Offline wainfiggitty

• Very Lite User
« Reply #257 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:45 »
Maybe it's evolving to working in the civilian world, but I took a pretty hefty cut in pay to get out of the navy and start at the bottom rung

No kidding. I hear stories about how much more people made when they got out 20 years ago, then I tell how much of a cut I took. They can't believe how much the Navy pays these days.

M1Ark

« Reply #258 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:10 »
Are you considering the number of hours worked?

Fermi2

« Reply #259 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:33 »
I looked at one of my paystubs from 19 years ago when I left the Navy. Take what I earned back then and I'd STILL make more than what someone makes getting out of the Navy today.

Mike

RadConRanger

Looking @ Palo Verde
« Reply #260 on: Aug 12, 2009, 09:18 »
How is this plant to work @?
I am right now applying for a refueling job there though I don't get out of the navy till january. 
I would like to do radcon tech there, as I do that right now in San Diego. 
Any thoughts?

Offline wainfiggitty

• Very Lite User
« Reply #261 on: Aug 12, 2009, 11:38 »
The fuels group seem to be a pretty decent group of guys. If you plan on being an RP though(radcon is not a term used in the commercial business) make certain that you will come in as an ANSI 3.1 tech. RP here seems to have a hard spot with naval experience and tries to bring people straight out of the Navy as a jr. tech. Depends on what your goals are. If you want to advance and make money apply for the AO position in operations (same thing as navy mechanic watches) and then about 18 months later get in on the licensed operator (same as navy RO)classes that they are cranking out. Otherwise it will take five years at least to get to a comparable pay grade. If you come in as an RP it will be very very hard to transfer later.

As for comparing number of hours worked, i think it is a fair comparison. Four months out of the year is outage work ( three plants on an 18 month refuel schedule each)where the only time off you have is to sleep. Sure its in your own place an your own bed but all your waking hours are still at work. So thats 2/3 of a deployment every year......compared to getting out between nine or eleven in the morning whenever in port.....yea kind of a fair comparo

M1Ark

« Reply #262 on: Aug 13, 2009, 06:29 »
I am not sure which navy allowed you to leave by 11 am in port.  It certainly wasn't my US Navy.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #263 on: Aug 13, 2009, 06:43 »
It was called "day-after-duty" early liberty.  Only coners and ass-kissers got it.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #264 on: Aug 13, 2009, 09:57 »
Did you go out for lunch Beercourt?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #265 on: Aug 13, 2009, 10:19 »
I was lucky to get lunch on the boat some days.  The guys who left the ship for lunch were usually met by a scowling chief when they got back.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
« Reply #266 on: Aug 14, 2009, 11:42 »
Just saw Atlantic Group's posting about the SGRP...thought all of the generators had been replaced, since I was at the last one.   What happened, did a plant go bad, or is this a mistake.

I am not sure which navy allowed you to leave by 11 am in port.  It certainly wasn't my US Navy.

For awhile on the Dixon (AS-37)  we were leaving after the duty at 6.............that's pm, with our next duty day in 12 hours, with basically a 36 on, 12 off rotation because we were so undermanned.  Food, sleep, what's that.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #267 on: Aug 14, 2009, 11:57 »
They were all replaced...i think someone should help Alantic w/ their job posts!..I believe that it is a Rx head replacement that PV is doing.
They made this same mis-posting a month or so ago.

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #268 on: Aug 16, 2009, 01:02 »
It is a Rx Head Replacement. I saw a Outage News Letter for their upcoming outage. It stated that the RP Staffing is low. The utility is trying to adjust the schedule of work during the outage, to allow for less RP coverage at one time.

katiebob1995

« Reply #269 on: Aug 17, 2009, 12:53 »
Does anyone know if the outage is still set for 59 or so days ?. I heard they may be cutting it back to like less than 45 days.

hi_rad_drifter

katiebob1995

« Reply #270 on: Aug 18, 2009, 09:41 »
Ok, now back to the original question not the RP shortage analysis. Does anyone know if it has been cut back from 59 days or so to 45 or so ?

M1Ark

« Reply #271 on: Aug 18, 2009, 05:55 »
Ok, now back to the original question not the RP shortage analysis. Does anyone know if it has been cut back from 59 days or so to 45 or so ?

Scheduled goal 46 days,  business plan goal 59 days.  Clear?

Cathy

« Reply #272 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:57 »
I have a question. What is the current requirements there for modesty clothing? We have some guys from our site going to the outage. Does Palo Verde supply some type of modesty clothing or is it bring your own, can you wear your own if it is supplied and can you still wear shorts?

vikingfan

« Reply #273 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:22 »
shorts and a t-shirt is normally ok. they do not normally supply mods. so you will need to bring your own supply. last outage i wore modestie pants and a t-shirt.

anywho

« Reply #274 on: Apr 06, 2011, 03:51 »
RP's go anywhere else and not palo verde

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
« Reply #275 on: Apr 06, 2011, 05:09 »
????????

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #276 on: Apr 06, 2011, 02:33 »
RP's go anywhere else and not palo verde

You feel like telling us why or should we just assume a personal grudge that the rest of us don't care about?

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

anywho

« Reply #277 on: Apr 06, 2011, 06:10 »
You feel like telling us why or should we just assume a personal grudge that the rest of us don't care about?

Now without being here its not nice to just assume that it is a personal grudge and that no one cares, you know what they say about assuming. 10 hr out of 12 hr in the can with no chillers you are soaking wet in 30 min--heat stress issue not being addressed, nothing to drink when you come out almost dead from dehydration, outage leader is a hitler--screams and treats techs like crap, they are 16 or so techs short (wonder why) and if thats not enough 30 min or more sitting in your car to get through the security checkpoint then another 30 min to get thru the security building just to get to the abuse. So please come on out and enjoy.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #278 on: Apr 06, 2011, 06:24 »
Now without being here its not nice to just assume that it is a personal grudge and that no one cares, you know what they say about assuming. 10 hr out of 12 hr in the can with no chillers you are soaking wet in 30 min--heat stress issue not being addressed, nothing to drink when you come out almost dead from dehydration, outage leader is a hitler--screams and treats techs like crap, they are 16 or so techs short (wonder why) and if thats not enough 30 min or more sitting in your car to get through the security checkpoint then another 30 min to get thru the security building just to get to the abuse. So please come on out and enjoy.

Thanks anyway, I already have a good job.

Your explanation may make things a little clearer to those who may be considering working there, rather than just an obscure 'Go anywhere else.' Now they have at least something to think about before making their decision. It may provide some value, whereas your original statement did not. It sounded like just another disgruntled worker with a grudge. Thanks for adding some clarification.

BTW, I was not assuming anything. I merely asked if that was your intent in your original post.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #279 on: Apr 06, 2011, 11:02 »
You aren't the first one that told me about this. Palo Verde has always had a good-old-boy network (like all plants) and after awhile, people will tend to sour on that. Every site goes through it and PV is no exception. I was there for almost 6 years as a contractor and I have heard that things are as bad as they have ever been out there. Good luck to you and just remember that the weather there is awesome and you could be here by Cleveland.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #280 on: Apr 07, 2011, 08:29 »
Anywho is just scratching the surface. The RP supervisor in Unit 1 is a physco and the place is like prison camp.  I think Sheriff Joe's tent cities might be better than PV. 

Sun Dog

« Reply #281 on: Apr 07, 2011, 08:47 »
Anywho is just scratching the surface. The RP supervisor in Unit 1 is a physco and the place is like prison camp.  I think Sheriff Joe's tent cities might be better than PV.  

Wow.  Has it always been that nice of a place to work?  Do all three units provide the same quality experience for travelers?  Is it the ownership or is it just a few misfits at U1?

I suppose this gem should get crossed off of the traveler's list, at least for the near-term.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 09:48 by Sun Dog »

Offline BStella

• Light User
« Reply #282 on: Apr 08, 2011, 12:32 »
 :-\ As some may know (from previous posts), I am a house tech at PV.  I am not posting to start anything with Anywho (or anyone else), as I don't know this person's background and I am not playing RP this outage (but I've been there and done that).  I am only here to point out some facts.  We are in week one of our outage; one of the most busy times.  CTMT is still warm (it will cool off)...and Yes, we are short of what we desired as outside help (for whatever reasons; I'm outside that loop).  We all feel the pressure...but that doesn't mean we ALL don't have the "right" to call foul.  If you feel like you are being asked more than what you are able, "speak up".  We can find another RP job for you to do.  This you can believe.  If you know a better way; "speak up".  If you have problems with a RPL; we have many...seek another one out.  There's always your coordinator or HR.  Find some friends, have some Fun.  BUT, with all this said, I want all to know, I do take some offense to this outsider calling the U1 RP Supervisor a Physco...he is one of the most laid back people I know.  So...please don't slam me too hard for my opinion (I won't respond; I don't think :)...because I'm pretty sure IDC.  P&L   8)

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #283 on: Apr 08, 2011, 10:09 »
I went to PV in 2005 and it sounds like not much has changed. RCB was hot, we were treated worse than contractors by the house folks, one particular supervisor didn't have a clue or tact, and the site coordinator at the time was possibly the most incompetent human i ever dealt with. But I would go back in a heartbeat...as long as I was running the pump to fill it full of concrete. That is one place that NEEDS a good house cleaning and to bring in some new blood.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #284 on: Apr 08, 2011, 11:34 »
I have never been there but a couple good friends of mine who are very well respected as RP don't really want to go back there due to getting their a$$es worked off because they felt bad for the group pitching in much more than some others.  Can you say North Anna?  Uncle Buffalo would love it there.  He can't stop working.  Except for spades.

Offline BStella

• Light User
« Reply #285 on: Apr 09, 2011, 01:05 »
OK...I'm passionate  :)  I'm not a rock.  I'm not playing RP for a reason.  Bring on the comments.  I will share them with my management and perhaps make PV a better place so that our more stellar techs will once again consider us when deciding where they'd like to support.  There is definitely room for improvement...and I believe we are headed in that direction.  I truly respect and welcome your opinions.  I'm not "somebody", but I'm also not afraid to "speak up".  P&L   8)

Sun Dog

« Reply #286 on: Apr 09, 2011, 05:50 »

I want all to know, I do take some offense to this outsider...

So much for fostering Teamwork.

There is definitely room for improvement...and I believe we are headed in that direction.

That sounds like the mantra of the site to the West of PV with a common part-owner.

I'm not playing RP for a reason.  

Smart enough to bail...

I will share them with my management and perhaps make PV a better place so that our more stellar techs will once again consider us when deciding where they'd like to support.  

... but compasionate enough to try improve conditions for those who may not be in a position to jump ship.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011, 06:59 by Sun Dog »

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #287 on: Apr 09, 2011, 08:10 »
One would think that after being INPO 4 for a while, site and corporate managment would recognize the need to bring about change in all areas of dysfunction. Mouthy whip toting 1st liners obviously don't help matters any.

Some of the very best sites cannot be 1st quartile simply because the bar is currently set so high. PV though makes 2nd quartile look pretty darn good!

Sun Dog

« Reply #288 on: Apr 09, 2011, 09:05 »

Some of the very best sites cannot be 1st quartile simply because the bar is currently set so high.

???

So who makes the top quartile if the very best don't make the cut?  The grading criteria is objective, not subjective.  It is not raised or lowered for some, but not others.  The programs that make the top quartile are not there because they know a secret handshake.  They make it because, statistically, they are better performers.

PV though makes 2nd quartile look pretty darn good!

Want to be the best?  Compare your program to the best.  The level of the bar is not a barrier.  It is an achievable level of high performance.  Feeling good about your program because it out ranks a lower tier program will not promote the attitude necessary to be a top performer.

JMNSHO
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011, 09:13 by Sun Dog »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #289 on: Apr 14, 2011, 03:24 »
I worked unit one a couple years ago, it was a tough outage. The plant is a nice one to work, but the program was hard to deal with. I pretty much think that any of the woes I experienced there were due to a small group who were terrible at managing people. There also seemed to be a familiar arrogance (SONGS) about the way they did business. I would consider going back at some point, but it isn't at the top of my list.

I will say this however... What a tremendous group of house RPs to work with! I really liked our house leads/techs and they made me feel like part of the team. From that standpoint, I give PV a thumbs up. They had a firm grasp on how screwed up the RP group was (above the tech level) and managed it as good as anyone could.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #290 on: Apr 14, 2011, 03:48 »
One would think that after being INPO 4 for a while, site and corporate managment would recognize the need to bring about change in all areas of dysfunction. Mouthy whip toting 1st liners obviously don't help matters any.

Some of the very best sites cannot be 1st quartile simply because the bar is currently set so high. PV though makes 2nd quartile look pretty darn good!

Think about that for just a minute -- the top quartile bar is set at... get ready for it... the top 25% of all the plants! Amazing, right? No matter how hard you try you don't make the top quartile until you get better than enough plants to be in the top 25%. That also means that you could make the top quartile if enough plants get worse and you stay the same. Isn't math great? The bar is not set any higher than it always has been... get better than 75% of the rest and you are in. Of course, that also means that someone else drops out and they try like crazy to get back in so they do better and you (or some other plant) get bumped back out. And that is why they do it that way, to get everyone competing against each other to improve.

So, the bar is not set too high. The bar is the bar unless the measure gets changed to the top 33% (tercile) or raised to the top 20% (quintile.) In any case, you are comparing all the plants against each other and it is not a measure of good or bad, it is a measure of better or worse. If everyone did the same that would just cause the heads of all the bean counters to explode. Which sounds like a plan to me.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011, 03:49 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #291 on: Apr 14, 2011, 05:24 »
Exactly...so many plants are now operating so well within the industry that there isn't enough room at the top to call them all top performers! Someone has to be at the bottom, and unless you want that to be you...and I'm sure PV doesn't want it to be them, they need to recognize their faults - no matter how small or insignificant to them - and change.
I work at a top performing station and we're 2nd quartile, our managment is obsessed with being the best, but there's only so much more they can do other than be sure we don't fall further behind the statistical leaders. There are reasons we can't do better, often reasons beyond our control. But we can be darn sure we don't fall to the bottom before we make the necessary corrections to our programs.

HPKC

« Reply #292 on: Apr 15, 2011, 12:00 »
:-\We all feel the pressure...but that doesn't mean we ALL don't have the "right" to call foul.  If you feel like you are being asked more than what you are able, "speak up".  We can find another RP job for you to do.  This you can believe.  If you know a better way; "speak up".  If you have problems with a RPL; we have many...seek another one out.  There's always your coordinator or HR.

I primarily worked Palo Verde from 2003 until the end of 2008. My home is in Goodyear and for the last two years I've had NO desire to go back. In fact, in the last 19 months I've only spent 1 month at home because I won't commit to Palo Verde. There are GREAT house techs there, many of whom I consider my friends, however management seriously needs to be revamped.

One outage it was a struggle just to get out of the RCA to use the bathroom much less take a 30 min. lunch break. When the problem was presented to my lead tech, the response was "take lunch whenever you can".  That only happened around 3:30 to 4:00 pm on day shift, IF you were lucky.

At Palo Verde when I suggested a possible "better way," that I'd just seen put into action with excellant results at a plant I'd just left, the RP Dept Leader teaching the class said, "Well we've learned a lot today. Watts Bar knows how to do things better than Palo Verde."  That one statement told me that "improving" was lip service and he really wasn't interested in hearing about a possible "better way."

One individual, in particular, comes to mind.  I believe there have been several HR complaints about this one RP leader, and nothing seems to change. He's still in a leadership position. Since leaving Palo I've run into a minimum of 8 excellant techs who have said they will not return there because of this one person.

I loved working with a lot of the people at Palo Verde, but the last year I was there I couldn't wait to get out. Seems to me the ones who have the "people skills" don't want the leadership positions because of management, or they have been passed over for people who should never have "leader" next to their names.

BTW ~ If it's Trent, he's definitely one of the nicest and laid back.

HPKC

« Reply #293 on: Apr 15, 2011, 12:43 »
nothing to drink when you come out almost dead from dehydration,

Last I was there they had water fountains inside the CA just outside the personnel hatch.  Have they taken them out? ::)

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #294 on: Apr 18, 2011, 10:44 »
I see that DZ Atlantic is looking to staff a VPP Project Manager for Palo Verde.  It is my opinion, that the Voluntary Protection Program is to be an ownership program taken on internally by a plant.  You would think that if Palo Verde was really interested in being recognized as a STAR site within the program, they would manage it internally, and not contract the management of the program.  I remember a plant I was at that was finally recognized in 2003, took on the management internally, as did most plants.  Does not show too much rigor, as far as I am concerned.  I'm just sayin'...

Sun Dog

« Reply #295 on: Apr 18, 2011, 11:02 »
I see that DZ Atlantic is looking to staff a VPP Project Manager for Palo Verde.  It is my opinion, that the Voluntary Protection Program is to be an ownership program taken on internally by a plant.  You would think that if Palo Verde was really interested in being recognized as a STAR site within the program, they would manage it internally, and not contract the management of the program.  I remember a plant I was at that was finally recognized in 2003, took on the management internally, as did most plants.  Does not show too much rigor, as far as I am concerned.  I'm just sayin'...

Reasonable sites have determined that the effort required to obtain the VPP moniker detracts resources away from resolving the real underlying safety issues.  Waving the VPP flag at the front gate may make good press but that is about it.  Lipstick on a pig.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2011, 11:07 by Sun Dog »

baitrunner

« Reply #296 on: Apr 18, 2011, 11:46 »
  I'm a USA RP from DC Cook working RP at Palo Verde, right now-this outage. Their Containment is awesome and so easy to maneuver but best of all the RPs are dedicated, serious and professional. What's not to like? So they make you sweat, oh boo -hoo; poor you. If your afraid to perspire you can take the elevator located i/s CMTM and down some ice cold water at the fountain just o/s the airlock or better yet consider working at an ice condenser plant like my DC Cook. Ever had your sweat turn to ice - I have it's really cool.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 12:08 by baitrunner »

Sun Dog

« Reply #297 on: Apr 18, 2011, 11:51 »

Ever had your sweet(ie) turn to ice - I have it's really cool.

Not so cool when my sweet(ie) turns to ice...

pimpizhere18

« Reply #298 on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:05 »
Currently wondering what the process is like for incoming AO's. The more research that I do, the more it looks like this is the field I am interested in joining. Currently in the Navy, but I am due to get out of the service in a year.

After reading a bit of the responses on this thread, I question what is really going on. There's no way that the job is any worse than an SRA/Deployment for 9 months. I understand the conditions and I get a feeling I understand the leadership, but what I don't understand is how RP relates to being an AO. After doing the time that I've done in the Navy, I feel like I have a good thick skin built up to the stuff that often goes unmentioned.

Also, anyone have any idea what the class up timeframe is for AO's? My EAOS is next April, and I am truly looking forward to attempting to get a career at PVNGS. Originally, from Southern California and have spent the last 7 years everywhere but the SW Region. So I am looking forward to being in that area again. Never been to AZ, but I hear good things.

Thanks.

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #299 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:28 »
The thickness of your skin should not be a factor. This is not the Navy and you shouldn't be subjected to anything but professional courtesy in the workplace. Remember you're making a career choice that should last for many many years, and if youre not happy there the alternative is misery up unitl the time you quit! and we don't take permanent jobs just to quit later. Every ones goal should be to have a career where they are supplementing a quality of life outside of work, and in most cases all that work gets left behind the gates when you leave. In short don't go taking a job that sucks because you think you can handle it, take the job because it's the right job for you and your family.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #300 on: Apr 21, 2011, 02:09 »
The thickness of your skin should not be a factor. This is not the Navy and you shouldn't be subjected to anything but professional courtesy in the workplace. Remember you're making a career choice that should last for many many years, and if youre not happy there the alternative is misery up unitl the time you quit! and we don't take permanent jobs just to quit later. Every ones goal should be to have a career where they are supplementing a quality of life outside of work, and in most cases all that work gets left behind the gates when you leave. In short don't go taking a job that sucks because you think you can handle it, take the job because it's the right job for you and your family.

YES!!!

pimpizhere18

« Reply #301 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:13 »
It's not a matter of exactly how thick my skin is, but the fact I can withstand what some people may consider terrible treatment. I'm not downplaying what the work conditions are, just that the sometimes that is the nature of the beast. Sometimes you have to put up with stupid stuff to get to where you want to be. I merely stated that I think I can handle the tough parts for the parts I'm looking forward to.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #302 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:47 »
Need some staff aug?

Illegal immigrant working inside nuke plant arrested

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 3:28 PM

PHOENIX - Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's deputies arrested an illegal immigrant working inside the Palo Verde Nuclear Plant, the nation's largest nuclear plant and one of the most closely monitored in the country.

Cruz Loya Alvares was taken into custody by Sheriff Deputies Wednesday and interrogated by the Sheriff's Human Smuggling detectives.

Deputies determined that the worker is, in fact, here illegally. Cruz admitted he has been in the U.S. illegally for most of the past 15 years. He was detained and deported in 2000 but paid a coyote for re-entry into the U.S. And last month, Cruz admitted that in June 2011, Mesa Police cited him for driving with a suspended license.

According to Sheriff Arpaio, Cruz tried to gain access to the Nuclear power plant on Monday but was denied entrance because his Mexican Driver's license was expired.

He then returned on Tuesday, this time as a passenger in a contractor's vehicle. Cruz presented an Arizona Identification card and was permitted into the facility. When plant authorities more carefully examined the card some time later, officials thought it may be illegitimate and contacted the Sheriff's Office.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/illegal-immigrant-working-inside-nuke-plant-arrested/

MacGyver

« Reply #303 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:15 »
Need some staff aug?

PHOENIX - Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's deputies arrested an illegal immigrant working inside the Palo Verde Nuclear Plant, the nation's largest nuclear plant and one of the most closely monitored in the country.

Cruz Loya Alvares was taken into custody by Sheriff Deputies Wednesday and interrogated by the Sheriff's Human Smuggling detectives.

Deputies determined that the worker is, in fact, here illegally. Cruz admitted he has been in the U.S. illegally for most of the past 15 years. He was detained and deported in 2000 but paid a coyote for re-entry into the U.S. And last month, Cruz admitted that in June 2011, Mesa Police cited him for driving with a suspended license.

According to Sheriff Arpaio, Cruz tried to gain access to the Nuclear power plant on Monday but was denied entrance because his Mexican Driver's license was expired.

He then returned on Tuesday, this time as a passenger in a contractor's vehicle. Cruz presented an Arizona Identification card and was permitted into the facility. When plant authorities more carefully examined the card some time later, officials thought it may be illegitimate and contacted the Sheriff's Office.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/illegal-immigrant-working-inside-nuke-plant-arrested/[/size]

or

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #304 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:35 »
Someone is in trouble.  I am sure the contractor had to submit a list of names in advance to security for personnel entering the Owner Controlled Area.  Wonder how his name slipped by.
LM

Sun Dog

« Reply #305 on: Jul 15, 2011, 04:40 »
Need some staff aug?

http://www.kvoa.com/news/illegal-immigrant-working-inside-nuke-plant-arrested/

The guy never accessed the plant (PA) or even attempted to gain access to the plant as the article states.  The guy tried to access the OCA by flashing a Mexican ID.  Mexican nationals working at nuclear plants is not uncommon so a Mexican ID is not unusual.  The security force was alert and did their job and denied access to the OCA when they noted the Mexican ID card had expired.

The next day he returns and presents an official looking state ID card, and is granted access to the OCA.  BFD.  The security force becomes suspicious about the authenticity of the State ID card and calls the Sheriff.

Seems like the Palo Verde security system worked.  The portion of the security system that has failed and continues to fail is at the Federal level.  The Feds slammed Arizona when Arizona tried to protect their state from the plague of illegals coming from the South, saying it was a Fed job to control immigration, legal and illegal.  Maybe if the Feds let Arizona govern Arizona this never would have happened.

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2011, 04:44 by Sun Dog »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #306 on: Aug 08, 2011, 04:48 »
Unit 1: Stuck between a rod and a hard place?  :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #307 on: Aug 21, 2011, 06:48 »
Anyone see the lights flicker this morning for Unit 3?

Offline Takar

• Very Lite User
« Reply #308 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:07 »
 I am looking for a current pay range for PVNGS Aux Operators(NLO). I have 3 years of Commericial NLO experience and 9 Years Experience as EWS/RO in Nuke Navy.Thanks.

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #309 on: Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 »
I'm more interested in their Aux Op hiring cycles, how often they class up, how many they usually hire and when the next hiring cycle is due.  The APS website has been listing a FUTURE OPPORTUNITY for months for an AO position.  If anyone has any info or rumors, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Takar

• Very Lite User
« Reply #310 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:08 »
They are just wrapping up a hiring cycle of AO's. Last class was big at 15-20 AO's.

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #311 on: Sep 11, 2013, 02:39 »
I see that PV has a posting for hiring AO's and I'm interested in knowing what the current pay rate for newly hired Operators, as well as any pay bumps as quals progress. (They have a question on the website application that asks "Min Pay", is why I'm asking).   Does anyone know if the class start date will be before or after the New Year? Thanks.

Stngray

« Reply #312 on: Sep 11, 2013, 02:43 »
AO initial training has been starting in January for the last several years. I don't know what current pay is, but five years ago it started at $25/hr going up to about $35/hr when fully qualed.

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #313 on: Oct 03, 2013, 02:32 »
Thanks for the reply.  It seems after five years it would be in the $30 plus or minus a dollar for starting.( :-\ wishful thinking?)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #314 on: Oct 03, 2013, 08:28 »
Thanks for the reply.  It seems after five years it would be in the $30 plus or minus a dollar for starting.( :-\ wishful thinking?)

As long as houses in PHX Metro are still 'buy-one-get-one-free' and no competing major employers in a hiring mode, starting wages are not likely to change.

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #315 on: Nov 28, 2013, 06:11 »
As long as houses in PHX Metro are still 'buy-one-get-one-free' and no competing major employers in a hiring mode, starting wages are not likely to change.

Hey now, my house gained $60K value in the last 2 years! (And yes I did get a great deal on it!)
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #316 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:53 »
Curious to see if anyone has any info on the next AO class. Have they started doing interviews yet?  Is the class still starting in January or has it been pushed to April?

Offline Andrewdmizzou

• Lurker
« Reply #317 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:57 »
I've been told the class up has been moved to April.

Offline amb628

• Lurker
« Reply #318 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:29 »
So does anyone have an update with the AO positions?

Offline Andrewdmizzou

• Lurker
« Reply #319 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:24 »
I got an offer and it looks like I'll be classing up here in a few weeks. Anyone else on here get an offer?

rjtroup

« Reply #320 on: Apr 24, 2014, 06:13 »
I'm scheduled to take the P.O.S.S on May 2nd. Anyone else?

Offline remaining

• Very Lite User
« Reply #321 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:06 »
I see that PV has a posting for hiring AO's and I'm interested in knowing what the current pay rate for newly hired Operators, as well as any pay bumps as quals progress. (They have a question on the website application that asks "Min Pay", is why I'm asking).

I am applying for an AO trainee position and was wondering if anyone working at Palo Verde would be able to share that salary info via direct message, as there are a couple questions regarding salary on the application. A google search shows a few data points of APS AO's making 79-86k (38-41/hr) and 85-104k (41-50/hr). No telling how outdated those numbers are, among other variables. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2020, 06:06 by remaining »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #322 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:05 »
I heard APS brings you in at a low low price and it takes a long time to top out....not 100% sure but that is the word on the street.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #323 on: Feb 26, 2020, 07:32 »
Not knowing where you are in life, I do know this. With the current US power plant climate, the starting pay in operations is essentially irrelevant. If hired, you just got one of the greatest jobs you can get. Those figures you posted are by no means “low low” esp. when coupled with benefit package. Take the job if offered, you will have no regrets. Good luck. Oh yeah, 99.99999% chance you will be a shift worker. Deal with it.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #324 on: Mar 08, 2022, 03:54 »
...the starting pay in operations is essentially irrelevant...

???

For most people, pay is part of the equation?

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #325 on: Mar 08, 2022, 09:52 »
For most people, pay is part of the equation?

Must not be much happening in Cape Town so why not respond to 2 year old posts. Point being made was that whatever company hires you as an operator, the starting pay will be good and relatively close to what they are all paying after indigenous cost of living figured in. Benefits package and elapsed time to qualify may differ.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2022, 05:36 by fiveeleven »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?