Palo Verde

Above Average
28 (35.9%)
Average
26 (33.3%)
Below Average
24 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Palo Verde  (Read 301413 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Palo Verde
« Reply #300 on: Apr 21, 2011, 02:09 »
The thickness of your skin should not be a factor. This is not the Navy and you shouldn't be subjected to anything but professional courtesy in the workplace. Remember you're making a career choice that should last for many many years, and if youre not happy there the alternative is misery up unitl the time you quit! and we don't take permanent jobs just to quit later. Every ones goal should be to have a career where they are supplementing a quality of life outside of work, and in most cases all that work gets left behind the gates when you leave. In short don't go taking a job that sucks because you think you can handle it, take the job because it's the right job for you and your family.

YES!!!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

pimpizhere18

« Reply #301 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:13 »
It's not a matter of exactly how thick my skin is, but the fact I can withstand what some people may consider terrible treatment. I'm not downplaying what the work conditions are, just that the sometimes that is the nature of the beast. Sometimes you have to put up with stupid stuff to get to where you want to be. I merely stated that I think I can handle the tough parts for the parts I'm looking forward to.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #302 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:47 »
Need some staff aug?

Illegal immigrant working inside nuke plant arrested

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 3:28 PM

PHOENIX - Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's deputies arrested an illegal immigrant working inside the Palo Verde Nuclear Plant, the nation's largest nuclear plant and one of the most closely monitored in the country.

Cruz Loya Alvares was taken into custody by Sheriff Deputies Wednesday and interrogated by the Sheriff's Human Smuggling detectives.

Deputies determined that the worker is, in fact, here illegally. Cruz admitted he has been in the U.S. illegally for most of the past 15 years. He was detained and deported in 2000 but paid a coyote for re-entry into the U.S. And last month, Cruz admitted that in June 2011, Mesa Police cited him for driving with a suspended license.

According to Sheriff Arpaio, Cruz tried to gain access to the Nuclear power plant on Monday but was denied entrance because his Mexican Driver's license was expired.

He then returned on Tuesday, this time as a passenger in a contractor's vehicle. Cruz presented an Arizona Identification card and was permitted into the facility. When plant authorities more carefully examined the card some time later, officials thought it may be illegitimate and contacted the Sheriff's Office.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/illegal-immigrant-working-inside-nuke-plant-arrested/

MacGyver

« Reply #303 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:15 »
Need some staff aug?

PHOENIX - Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's deputies arrested an illegal immigrant working inside the Palo Verde Nuclear Plant, the nation's largest nuclear plant and one of the most closely monitored in the country.

Cruz Loya Alvares was taken into custody by Sheriff Deputies Wednesday and interrogated by the Sheriff's Human Smuggling detectives.

Deputies determined that the worker is, in fact, here illegally. Cruz admitted he has been in the U.S. illegally for most of the past 15 years. He was detained and deported in 2000 but paid a coyote for re-entry into the U.S. And last month, Cruz admitted that in June 2011, Mesa Police cited him for driving with a suspended license.

According to Sheriff Arpaio, Cruz tried to gain access to the Nuclear power plant on Monday but was denied entrance because his Mexican Driver's license was expired.

He then returned on Tuesday, this time as a passenger in a contractor's vehicle. Cruz presented an Arizona Identification card and was permitted into the facility. When plant authorities more carefully examined the card some time later, officials thought it may be illegitimate and contacted the Sheriff's Office.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/illegal-immigrant-working-inside-nuke-plant-arrested/[/size]

or

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #304 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:35 »
Someone is in trouble.  I am sure the contractor had to submit a list of names in advance to security for personnel entering the Owner Controlled Area.  Wonder how his name slipped by.
LM

Sun Dog

« Reply #305 on: Jul 15, 2011, 04:40 »
Need some staff aug?

http://www.kvoa.com/news/illegal-immigrant-working-inside-nuke-plant-arrested/

The guy never accessed the plant (PA) or even attempted to gain access to the plant as the article states.  The guy tried to access the OCA by flashing a Mexican ID.  Mexican nationals working at nuclear plants is not uncommon so a Mexican ID is not unusual.  The security force was alert and did their job and denied access to the OCA when they noted the Mexican ID card had expired.

The next day he returns and presents an official looking state ID card, and is granted access to the OCA.  BFD.  The security force becomes suspicious about the authenticity of the State ID card and calls the Sheriff.

Seems like the Palo Verde security system worked.  The portion of the security system that has failed and continues to fail is at the Federal level.  The Feds slammed Arizona when Arizona tried to protect their state from the plague of illegals coming from the South, saying it was a Fed job to control immigration, legal and illegal.  Maybe if the Feds let Arizona govern Arizona this never would have happened.

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2011, 04:44 by Sun Dog »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #306 on: Aug 08, 2011, 04:48 »
Unit 1: Stuck between a rod and a hard place?  :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #307 on: Aug 21, 2011, 06:48 »
Anyone see the lights flicker this morning for Unit 3?

Offline Takar

• Very Lite User
« Reply #308 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:07 »
 I am looking for a current pay range for PVNGS Aux Operators(NLO). I have 3 years of Commericial NLO experience and 9 Years Experience as EWS/RO in Nuke Navy.Thanks.

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #309 on: Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 »
I'm more interested in their Aux Op hiring cycles, how often they class up, how many they usually hire and when the next hiring cycle is due.  The APS website has been listing a FUTURE OPPORTUNITY for months for an AO position.  If anyone has any info or rumors, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Takar

• Very Lite User
« Reply #310 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:08 »
They are just wrapping up a hiring cycle of AO's. Last class was big at 15-20 AO's.

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #311 on: Sep 11, 2013, 02:39 »
I see that PV has a posting for hiring AO's and I'm interested in knowing what the current pay rate for newly hired Operators, as well as any pay bumps as quals progress. (They have a question on the website application that asks "Min Pay", is why I'm asking).   Does anyone know if the class start date will be before or after the New Year? Thanks.

Stngray

« Reply #312 on: Sep 11, 2013, 02:43 »
AO initial training has been starting in January for the last several years. I don't know what current pay is, but five years ago it started at $25/hr going up to about $35/hr when fully qualed.

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #313 on: Oct 03, 2013, 02:32 »
Thanks for the reply.  It seems after five years it would be in the $30 plus or minus a dollar for starting.( :-\ wishful thinking?)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #314 on: Oct 03, 2013, 08:28 »
Thanks for the reply.  It seems after five years it would be in the $30 plus or minus a dollar for starting.( :-\ wishful thinking?)

As long as houses in PHX Metro are still 'buy-one-get-one-free' and no competing major employers in a hiring mode, starting wages are not likely to change.

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #315 on: Nov 28, 2013, 06:11 »
As long as houses in PHX Metro are still 'buy-one-get-one-free' and no competing major employers in a hiring mode, starting wages are not likely to change.

Hey now, my house gained $60K value in the last 2 years! (And yes I did get a great deal on it!)
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #316 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:53 »
Curious to see if anyone has any info on the next AO class. Have they started doing interviews yet?  Is the class still starting in January or has it been pushed to April?

Offline Andrewdmizzou

• Lurker
« Reply #317 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:57 »
I've been told the class up has been moved to April.

Offline amb628

• Lurker
« Reply #318 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:29 »
So does anyone have an update with the AO positions?

Offline Andrewdmizzou

• Lurker
« Reply #319 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:24 »
I got an offer and it looks like I'll be classing up here in a few weeks. Anyone else on here get an offer?

rjtroup

« Reply #320 on: Apr 24, 2014, 06:13 »
I'm scheduled to take the P.O.S.S on May 2nd. Anyone else?

Offline remaining

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #321 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:06 »
I see that PV has a posting for hiring AO's and I'm interested in knowing what the current pay rate for newly hired Operators, as well as any pay bumps as quals progress. (They have a question on the website application that asks "Min Pay", is why I'm asking).

I am applying for an AO trainee position and was wondering if anyone working at Palo Verde would be able to share that salary info via direct message, as there are a couple questions regarding salary on the application. A google search shows a few data points of APS AO's making 79-86k (38-41/hr) and 85-104k (41-50/hr). No telling how outdated those numbers are, among other variables. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2020, 06:06 by remaining »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #322 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:05 »
I heard APS brings you in at a low low price and it takes a long time to top out....not 100% sure but that is the word on the street.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #323 on: Feb 26, 2020, 07:32 »
Not knowing where you are in life, I do know this. With the current US power plant climate, the starting pay in operations is essentially irrelevant. If hired, you just got one of the greatest jobs you can get. Those figures you posted are by no means “low low” esp. when coupled with benefit package. Take the job if offered, you will have no regrets. Good luck. Oh yeah, 99.99999% chance you will be a shift worker. Deal with it.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #324 on: Mar 08, 2022, 03:54 »
...the starting pay in operations is essentially irrelevant...

???

For most people, pay is part of the equation?

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?