Palo Verde

Above Average
28 (35.9%)
Average
26 (33.3%)
Below Average
24 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Palo Verde  (Read 301563 times)

JustinHEMI05

Re: PALO VERDE INFO
« Reply #250 on: Apr 24, 2009, 06:16 »
Aww, come on.  What about Phoenix's New Years/Fiesta Bowl block parties?

I was talking about the plant.  8)

M1Ark

« Reply #251 on: Apr 30, 2009, 02:14 »
Make sure you like 300F days and black widows.  8)

Justin

It's a dry heat.  110 in Phoenix is cooler than 95 in Michigan.

Stngray

« Reply #252 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:17 »
Hello, I am getting ready to get out in Sep. I would like to work at Palo Verde (in AZ) Is there anyone out there who has any contacts there or preferably who works there that can tell me about working there. I am a MM qualified EWS and I have some Nuc Repair expierence also. Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks.
Start here: https://careers.pinnaclewest.com/psp/pserprd/CUSTOMER/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL All hiring starts through the website. Doesn't look like any OPS posistions are posted right now, but should be within the next couple months. Next AO/LOIT class should start March 2010.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
Re: Palo Verde
« Reply #253 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:58 »
M1Ark

You're dry heat theory is a farce!!  I can tell you this....being raised in AZ, living in AZ, 110 in Phoenix is HOT compared to being in the "swimming pool" relief of 95 in Michigan.  Visit once in a while and feel the truth!!  You might sweat some in 95 degree Michigan, but sweating is a cooling relief to the heat in AZ.  Don't ever try to confuse sweating, and not sweating!!

Fermi2

« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2009, 01:16 »
M1Ark and I worked in MIchigan together for 10 years. I'm pretty certain he knows what he's talking about. My guess is on his dumbest day he's smarter than you are as my past experiences with him indicate he's smarter than about 99% of the nuclear population and has a LOT more common sense to boot.

Mike

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2009, 01:44 »
It's a dry heat.  110 in Phoenix is cooler than 95 in Michigan.

M1Ark

You're dry heat theory is a farce!!  I can tell you this....being raised in AZ, living in AZ, 110 in Phoenix is HOT compared to being in the "swimming pool" relief of 95 in Michigan.  Visit once in a while and feel the truth!!  You might sweat some in 95 degree Michigan, but sweating is a cooling relief to the heat in AZ.  Don't ever try to confuse sweating, and not sweating!!

http://www.dayafterindia.com/may206/images/heat.jpg

http://www.formafeed.com/images/reference%20page%20images/heat_stress.JPG

...and if you are raising cattle in Australia:

http://afstropicaldairybreed.org/images/THIndex.jpg  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:28 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2009, 08:36 »
Having lived in Phoenix, we used to tell the tourists - Sure it's a dry heat, but it's dry heat inside a pizza oven, too.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline wainfiggitty

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #257 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:45 »
Maybe it's evolving to working in the civilian world, but I took a pretty hefty cut in pay to get out of the navy and start at the bottom rung

No kidding. I hear stories about how much more people made when they got out 20 years ago, then I tell how much of a cut I took. They can't believe how much the Navy pays these days.

M1Ark

« Reply #258 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:10 »
Are you considering the number of hours worked?

Fermi2

« Reply #259 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:33 »
I looked at one of my paystubs from 19 years ago when I left the Navy. Take what I earned back then and I'd STILL make more than what someone makes getting out of the Navy today.

Mike

RadConRanger

Looking @ Palo Verde
« Reply #260 on: Aug 12, 2009, 09:18 »
How is this plant to work @?
I am right now applying for a refueling job there though I don't get out of the navy till january. 
I would like to do radcon tech there, as I do that right now in San Diego. 
Any thoughts?

Offline wainfiggitty

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #261 on: Aug 12, 2009, 11:38 »
The fuels group seem to be a pretty decent group of guys. If you plan on being an RP though(radcon is not a term used in the commercial business) make certain that you will come in as an ANSI 3.1 tech. RP here seems to have a hard spot with naval experience and tries to bring people straight out of the Navy as a jr. tech. Depends on what your goals are. If you want to advance and make money apply for the AO position in operations (same thing as navy mechanic watches) and then about 18 months later get in on the licensed operator (same as navy RO)classes that they are cranking out. Otherwise it will take five years at least to get to a comparable pay grade. If you come in as an RP it will be very very hard to transfer later.

As for comparing number of hours worked, i think it is a fair comparison. Four months out of the year is outage work ( three plants on an 18 month refuel schedule each)where the only time off you have is to sleep. Sure its in your own place an your own bed but all your waking hours are still at work. So thats 2/3 of a deployment every year......compared to getting out between nine or eleven in the morning whenever in port.....yea kind of a fair comparo

M1Ark

« Reply #262 on: Aug 13, 2009, 06:29 »
I am not sure which navy allowed you to leave by 11 am in port.  It certainly wasn't my US Navy.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #263 on: Aug 13, 2009, 06:43 »
It was called "day-after-duty" early liberty.  Only coners and ass-kissers got it.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #264 on: Aug 13, 2009, 09:57 »
Did you go out for lunch Beercourt?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #265 on: Aug 13, 2009, 10:19 »
I was lucky to get lunch on the boat some days.  The guys who left the ship for lunch were usually met by a scowling chief when they got back.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #266 on: Aug 14, 2009, 11:42 »
Just saw Atlantic Group's posting about the SGRP...thought all of the generators had been replaced, since I was at the last one.   What happened, did a plant go bad, or is this a mistake.

I am not sure which navy allowed you to leave by 11 am in port.  It certainly wasn't my US Navy.

For awhile on the Dixon (AS-37)  we were leaving after the duty at 6.............that's pm, with our next duty day in 12 hours, with basically a 36 on, 12 off rotation because we were so undermanned.  Food, sleep, what's that.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #267 on: Aug 14, 2009, 11:57 »
They were all replaced...i think someone should help Alantic w/ their job posts!..I believe that it is a Rx head replacement that PV is doing.
They made this same mis-posting a month or so ago.

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #268 on: Aug 16, 2009, 01:02 »
It is a Rx Head Replacement. I saw a Outage News Letter for their upcoming outage. It stated that the RP Staffing is low. The utility is trying to adjust the schedule of work during the outage, to allow for less RP coverage at one time.

katiebob1995

« Reply #269 on: Aug 17, 2009, 12:53 »
Does anyone know if the outage is still set for 59 or so days ?. I heard they may be cutting it back to like less than 45 days.

hi_rad_drifter

katiebob1995

« Reply #270 on: Aug 18, 2009, 09:41 »
Ok, now back to the original question not the RP shortage analysis. Does anyone know if it has been cut back from 59 days or so to 45 or so ?

M1Ark

« Reply #271 on: Aug 18, 2009, 05:55 »
Ok, now back to the original question not the RP shortage analysis. Does anyone know if it has been cut back from 59 days or so to 45 or so ?

Scheduled goal 46 days,  business plan goal 59 days.  Clear?

Cathy

« Reply #272 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:57 »
I have a question. What is the current requirements there for modesty clothing? We have some guys from our site going to the outage. Does Palo Verde supply some type of modesty clothing or is it bring your own, can you wear your own if it is supplied and can you still wear shorts?

vikingfan

« Reply #273 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:22 »
shorts and a t-shirt is normally ok. they do not normally supply mods. so you will need to bring your own supply. last outage i wore modestie pants and a t-shirt.

anywho

« Reply #274 on: Apr 06, 2011, 03:51 »
RP's go anywhere else and not palo verde

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?