Columbia

Above Average
16 (37.2%)
Average
16 (37.2%)
Below Average
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Columbia (WNP2)  (Read 89614 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Columbia (WNP2)
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:08 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 09:51 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Columbia (WNP2)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:42 »
Talk About: Columbia (WNP2)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2002, 12:50 »
If anyone has lodging information for this facility, please post it here.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2005, 01:41 by Duke Nuker »

mahalo50

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2002, 01:27 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Best plant I've worked since Trojan shut down Great people so so area good money

WNP_2

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2003, 04:55 »
Hello,

Does anyone here know how WNP 2 rates compared to other nuke plants? Safety, Reliablity, Performance, overall?

Could WNP 1 be finished and used to produce power?

Thanks,

Morgan

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2003, 03:08 »

Great people so so area

Agree with you on the people...think you were being generous about the area.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

duke99301

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2003, 06:28 »
since I grew up there I can tell you the area is very nice and the Boat races are coming up in less than two weeks .  and the area has grown a lot since I left. I remeber when WNP2 was a hole in the ground ,  A lot of good times out at handford in the old days.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2003, 09:27 »
since I grew up there I can tell you the area is very nice and the Boat races are coming up in less than two weeks .

The "whoosh" boats are OK but the old RR Merlins made the Columbia Cup something.  "Thunder on the River" to "Whisper on the River"...to bad.  Did the initial fuel load and first power run back in the 80's.  For a PA guy it took a while to adjust to high desert but eventually found it to be very nice.  The people also were very nice.  Also a great area for outdooors activities.  Only thing, outside of the Tri-Cities there really is not much for 3-4 hours in any direction, unless you're a "wineaux".  It can also cost a small fortune to fly in and out of the local airport unless you're real lucky on an airfare.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

duke99301

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2003, 05:16 »
let ask you this did any ever go to Stalag 13?? what a place it was back in the 80s

Dan_E.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2003, 12:47 »
Yep! Stalag 13, they would cash your paycheck for whatever the cents was. Sure helped the out-of-towners that didn't have a local bank account yet. Don't forget Rider's Sausage, back then it was about 600' closer to work...hot sausage (with horseradish) & cold beer, m-m-m.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:32 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

duke99301

« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2004, 12:20 »
the Moose in pasco

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:15 »
Kind of far for a weekend, but this is as close as you will get in commercial power to the San Juan Islands - a "must do" for anyone, but esp. for people willing to sea kayak...Orcas, seals, whales....
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

icallfouls

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 06:49 »
Last I knew, WNP-2 was a SALP-2.  Closer to 2-, but making improvements.  I really liked the plant and the people.

As far as #1, there have been discussions to make it operational.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 07:47 »
WNP-1 is a no-go.
Once the construction permit was relinquished, that is not a nuke plant. The feasibility studies might say use the turbine / steam cycle as the generator of a fossil powered unit, but definitely not a nuke.

The site might be considered for a new construction project, but I would say the Left coast is the last place you will see a new nuke.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

rabbit

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 05:21 »
Last time I was there ('96) they were using something called Economic Dispatch.  If the power could be generated by means of Hydro and other non-nuclear sources then WNP-2 (Columbia Generating Station) would be either reduced in power or brought off line.   If there is ever a drought situation there, the residents of the TrashCities would be up a dry creek with no water.  In the summer months almost everyone waters their yard in the morning.  The Hydro plants would be used less forcing the use  of CGS.  One can only hope.

As for the area, I liked it.  Stayed in Kennewick and Richland.  Got treated well all times I was there by other residents and plant people as well.  Just haven't found the time to go back there.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 11:07 »
Wow!  Now that's really smart considering that it costs as much to operate a nuke plant at 0, 10, 20, 50, or 90% as it does to operate at 100%.  The savings in fuel would be miniscule if any at all.  You still have to pay all the other bills with no revenue being generated from production.  Meanwhile, you're slamming the environment with hydro/fossil operation.
With genius decisions like that, it is no wonder that we can't get any new nukes built.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2005, 01:02 »
Nice place.  This outage was my first  and I had a good time for the most part.  Got to see some old (some older than others!) friends, and made a bunch of new ones.  The techs, both contract and in-house were a great bunch to work with and I'm looking forward to coming back.  Take care everyone and hope to see you all soon.

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Jun 14, 2005, 06:00 »
You mean INPO 2 and 3 right? There's no such thing as a SALP Rating anymore since the NRC went to Risk Based regulation you get rated by colors within certain Cornerstones of SAfety.

In May of 2004 I was the Ops Peer for a WNP2 QA Audit and I had a wonderful time. I really enjoyed the people and the area. I ripped their Work Control Process though.

I'd go back on another audit there if I had the chance.

Mike

M1Ark

« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2005, 11:27 »
Anyone know when the next SRO Instant Class will start at Columbia Generating?

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2005, 12:34 »
I think it might be awhile, IIRC they just hired a class of SRO's

MIke

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2006, 02:19 »
well...i can tell you it has come up in conversations among some techs at the plant but we are the like one of the last outages of the season so it might not be too bad getting folks to come here esp those that want a little pre-summer cash. I think it's hard finding techs for any outage at the moment tho..That being said..Diablo will draw many of the returnees..we will see in 7 months! :P

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:32 »
Man being in that area in April or May is HEAVEN.

Mike

Jr8black3

« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2007, 01:08 »
Bill, your going to love it out there,, from one dc cook brother to another,, you'll like it just avoid the tumble weeds.. I loved it there..

Goodluck Bill

Kevin

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2007, 04:24 »
ONE OF THE BEST HOUSE TECHS IN THE BIZ.  AND THEN SOME...GREAT PEOPLE IN GENERAL..
I'LL TAKE THE TUMBLE WEEDS AND THE DESERT ANYTIME.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?