Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ANO (Arkansas Nuclear One)

Poll

ANO

Above Average
28 (51.9%)
Average
20 (37%)
Below Average
6 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: ANO (Arkansas Nuclear One)  (Read 79785 times)

hockygiant

ANO Outage
« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2008, 12:32 »
Hi,
Does anybody know which contracting company handles the I&C Tech personnel for ANO?

Looking for a contact for their upcoming outage.

Thanks,

hockeygiant

DingoCyber

New to Nuke
« Reply #26 on: Apr 21, 2009, 04:54 »
Hello,  I am trying to get into the Nuke industry in the Arkansas Nuke 1 plant.  I have a BS in Anthropology and various work experience in manufacturing and maintenance.  Recently I filled out an application for Nuclear Plant Operator.  The job would be very good for me and my household.  What can I expect upon entering into the industry?  Do I need to get some specialized knowledge before, or right after, highering on? 

Currently I am looking through various topics here, this being my first post, to fill in the gaps of my understanding.  I look forward to any response I get and hope they generate more questions I can ask here or elsewhere.

Thanks,
Karl

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
Re: New to Nuke
« Reply #27 on: Apr 22, 2009, 11:14 »
Hello,  I am trying to get into the Nuke industry in the Arkansas Nuke 1 plant.  I have a BS in Anthropology and various work experience in manufacturing and maintenance.  Recently I filled out an application for Nuclear Plant Operator.  The job would be very good for me and my household.  What can I expect upon entering into the industry?  Do I need to get some specialized knowledge before, or right after, highering on? 

Currently I am looking through various topics here, this being my first post, to fill in the gaps of my understanding.  I look forward to any response I get and hope they generate more questions I can ask here or elsewhere.

Thanks,
Karl

Karl,

Anthropology, that is a BA correct? I hope you have had some classes in math, physics, chemistry to go with the degree.  If not you may not make it to an interview.  I am not saying this to be mean but to let you know what you are up against.

I worked in Operations at ANO for almost 15 years, if you make it through the selection process and get a job offer they have a very good training program.

To prepare for the process you should take some practice POSS tests.  Progress Energy has a link and access to practice tests http://www.progress-energy.com/aboutus/employment/eei/index.asp

You can look at PWR generic fundamentals questions (ANO used to give an old generic fundamentals exam during the interview process not as a go not go but just to see what base level of knowledge you have)  on the NRC website http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing/generic-fundamentals-examinations/pwr.html

Finally brush up on behavioral interviewing techniques and questions.  Try and use personal examples in all your questions not just well I would do this.. actually talk about a situation and how you handled the issue.

Feel free to email me if you want more information on ANO or Russellville.

eric_mullins1981

Any one work at Arkansas Nuclear One???
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 05:29 »
I have an interview as an aux operator on Wen. and just wanted some interview tips for that plant.  I have interviewed at Calvert Cliffs so I kinda got a feel for what they might want but just checking!!!  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: Any one work at Arkansas Nuclear One???
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 11:38 »
I've got the same interview date.  Looks like I'll see you there.

Good luck!

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18344.0.html
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
Re: Any one work at Arkansas Nuclear One???
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 01:42 »
I have an interview as an aux operator on Wen. and just wanted some interview tips for that plant.  I have interviewed at Calvert Cliffs so I kinda got a feel for what they might want but just checking!!!  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Good luck, spent 15 years there.  It is a great place to work and full of some good people.

Tips?

Be yourself, do not blow smoke, expect to interview with a panel of Operators not a 1 on 1 interview, should have non-licensed through senior reactor operators on the panel.

Use real life examples to answer their questions, it is ok to use non work related examples if they are relavant to the question such as how you managed a youth softball team ect.

they are (as all sites) big on procedure use and adherence (always use em and never violate them), and safety.

Offline LOKI RAD

• Light User
  • Don't Lie To Me Again!
Re: ANO (Arkansas Nuclear One)
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01 »
.......and be thinking about what questions you want to ask them.

There are a couple of internet sites that list somethings you should and shouldn't ask in an interview.

The thing is, after your interview they ask you if you have any questions.

Have some questions, show them you are prepared, that you have put some thought into your potential postion, that you are a prepared and organized person.

It can't hurt you, it might be just what they are looking for. 8)

eric_mullins1981

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 05:19 »
So just finished my interview, thought it went well guess i'll know more in a week or two about the position.  For all those taking the poss exam some things you'll need to know is on the Mathmatical concepts and the Tables and Graphs sections just do the best you can.  In a testing group of 22 no one finished these sections that I met and if there are any questions that slow you down pass them for the ones that dont.  You'll probably not finish the test so complete all that you can in the short time available.  It is a pass/fail case based on cutoff criteria that the plant your applying for gives the test grading company.

Good luck to all

kibler

« Reply #33 on: Jun 02, 2010, 12:51 »
Ah yes, Skull Orchard!  Things I learned at skull orchard!

Never ever go exploring while drinking Jose.
Never ever only bring one six pack to the Orchard!
Yes, it is possible to breathe thru your sphincter while dry heaving from Jose.

Cheers!

Offline KKibler

• Very Lite User
« Reply #34 on: Jun 07, 2010, 10:34 »
:-*[/b
Skull Orchard made working the long hours worthwhile
My start for Road Tech
Started out in the chicken coop on rotating shifts
I had to leave for a year and get experience and the RP Supervisors brought me in as a JR after the exam of course
Time flew by 3.1 RP thanks to ANO RP and Butch Byrd along with one of my favorites John Ellison
Looking at getting back in the business been out years first come back SGR CR3 RP liason for radiography
ANO I would like to go back one more time

K.Kibler(Martin)

Offline RCSmith

• Very Lite User
« Reply #35 on: Jun 12, 2011, 10:39 »
I see that ANO was getting ready to go into an outage in March 2010, so if I've read information on this site correctly there should be one this fall and that would bring about new NLO and SRO classes. I plan to be on terminal from the Navy at the beginning of November and I would really like to work at ANO (I'm from Arkansas). Can anyone there let me know when the next NLO or SRO classes will start? Thanks in advance for your help.

WOO PIG SOOIE!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2013, 12:01 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
ANO??
« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2013, 12:09 »
Anyone know what happened today? I was told a turbine rotor was dropped and resulted in some serious  injuries and damage....... Wanted to find out if anyone I know was there.

-Doc
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: ANO??
« Reply #38 on: Mar 31, 2013, 12:21 »
Hearing several stories - crane failure lifting the generator. LOOP, other unit tripped, etc...
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #39 on: Mar 31, 2013, 12:24 »
Got a call from a friend in Russelville this am.He heard multiple fatalites.Hopefully not true.
Call Before You Dig!

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
Re: ANO??
« Reply #40 on: Mar 31, 2013, 12:42 »
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2013, 03:24 by HouseDad »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #42 on: Mar 31, 2013, 09:49 »
Here is a little more info from another source, a generator stator fell while being moved out of a turbine building.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/mar/31/equipment-accident-arkansas-nuclear-one/

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #43 on: Mar 31, 2013, 11:04 »
That's terrible news. I always worry when something that large is being flown. It doesn't really matter if you are not under the load. With that size just being close can be deadly.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Apr 01, 2013, 06:46 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/news/facility_template.php?facility_news=Arkansas+Nuclear+Power+Plant+location:AR

At the Start of shift last night I hear one fatality and 3 seriously injured. 
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 09:30 by Rennhack »

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #45 on: Apr 01, 2013, 09:15 »
Can tell you that the Entergy Press Release is fact.  Keep the families in your prayers.  See that we are out of the National news.

http://www.entergy.com/news_room/newsrelease.aspx?NR_ID=2693
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: Apr 01, 2013, 12:09 »
Just received some pictures.  What a mess.
LM

Offline a_fan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #47 on: Apr 01, 2013, 12:25 »
I heard they were replacing the main unit stator and the event occurred during rigging out of the old one. What do the pictures indicate?

Offline nspunx4

• Light User
« Reply #48 on: Apr 01, 2013, 12:42 »
This is a shame I will keep the employees and families in my thoughts.

As an aside how come the news keeps calling it the "Arkansas NUMBER one plant" can't they even get the name right? To me it is disrespectful to the injured workers and the deceased's family that the reporters and editors can't even bother to get the name of the plant right.

HeavyD

« Reply #49 on: Apr 01, 2013, 12:49 »
Also viewed some pics.  Looks like the entire crane assembly collapsed. 

Thoughts and prayers to the family of our fallen comrade and to those who were injured.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?