Below Average
39 (66.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Perry  (Read 87724 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Perry
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:49 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Perry
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:34 »
Talk About: Perry

cmundson

Re: Talk About: Perry
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2002, 06:13 »
I am starting an RO/SRO class in January after 8.5 years in the nuclear navy. Anyone have any info on the Perry Nuclear Power Plant??  

Pet_Cow

Re: Rate Perry
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2002, 08:54 »
Don't forget your track shoes. The floor levels are don't match from building to building and what the heck is that BFRT? Is it a containment or a drywell? Not to mention lousy management and techs. And what is that they work?- 15 minutes in and 15 minutes out.

amjw229

Re: Rate Perry
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2003, 08:45 »
Just curious about why you seem to dislike the place...I'm training to be a tech and would like to work at Perry.  If it's mainly management, you'll find problems in EVERY industry.  My questions are...Do you feel that the work environment is safe? and...Do you feel that you are paid well?

amjw229

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2003, 08:59 »
I don't have any info on the Perry Plant, but I live near it and am hoping to eventually get work over there.  If you get any information at all...could you please let me know?  I would like to get a feel for how the employees feel about the pay and the safety at the place...Thanks!

cmundson

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2003, 02:40 »
Although I just started recently, I enjoy my time there. Also, I am in the 6 month limbo from starting my class in July... Everyone seems to enjoy the work there. I may be jaded since I just got out of the Navy... and anything would be better than that experience. But I am also from the area and am glad to have a job in the area... Safety seems to be pretty good here. No real incidents that I have heard of.

KingSmag

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2003, 10:38 »
Can you drop me some info on Perry, I'm interested in working there. I'm a soon to be ex-navy ELT, and I'm looking for work in or around OH, WV, or KY.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:10 »
Can you drop me some info on Perry, I'm interested in working there. I'm a soon to be ex-navy ELT, and I'm looking for work in or around OH, WV, or KY.

It is called the mistake on the lake. Radcon has its share of dirt balls. You better like Cleveland sports or else- don't go there. I understand the local schools are great due to the money the plant pours into the area. They don't like it when you float toy boats in their suppression pool.

Austria

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2003, 11:42 »
heehee....I remember the toy boat incident(s).  Nope they didn't like that one damn bit. Used to play baseball in containment as well.
Pet Cow is certainly right about the sports too. Cleveland fans are pretty dedicated and don't like to hear much about support for other teams. The good news is that Jacobs field is one of the nicest parks in baseball. Haven't seen the new football stadium yet. And who would have thought the Browns would even get a wild card spot this last year. Oh yea, much to my surprise, the TGI Friday's here in Vienna was full of Browns fans when they had the Browns-Steelers game on the big screen in the bar.
And yes....Cleveland was known as the mistake on the lake. Everything from the Cuyahoga river catching fire to Lake Erie being so polluted at one time it was not safe to go swimming. The city really has improved over the years though and from spring to fall there are local fairs and festivals to suit every taste and some nice enough scenery to go along. And the lake and river have cleaned up nicely.
As for the plant, I haven't been there in a while but spent a LOT of time there early to mid 90's. There were a lot of good people there but many of them were eventually beat down by bad management. Pretty sad, really. Oh yea....it's freakin huge and the elevations don't match from building to building.
All in all, it's a nice enough area to live and work (except for that 'lake effect' snow) with a reasonable cost of living.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2003, 03:51 »
heehee....I remember the toy boat incident(s).  Nope they didn't like that one damn bit. Used to play baseball in containment as well.
Pet Cow is certainly right about the sports too. Cleveland fans are pretty dedicated and don't like to hear much about support for other teams. The good news is that Jacobs field is one of the nicest parks in baseball. Haven't seen the new football stadium yet. And who would have thought the Browns would even get a wild card spot this last year. Oh yea, much to my surprise, the TGI Friday's here in Vienna was full of Browns fans when they had the Browns-Steelers game on the big screen in the bar.
And yes....Cleveland was known as the mistake on the lake. Everything from the Cuyahoga river catching fire to Lake Erie being so polluted at one time it was not safe to go swimming. The city really has improved over the years though and from spring to fall there are local fairs and festivals to suit every taste and some nice enough scenery to go along. And the lake and river have cleaned up nicely.
As for the plant, I haven't been there in a while but spent a LOT of time there early to mid 90's. There were a lot of good people there but many of them were eventually beat down by bad management. Pretty sad, really. Oh yea....it's freakin huge and the elevations don't match from building to building.
All in all, it's a nice enough area to live and work (except for that 'lake effect' snow) with a reasonable cost of living.

I didn't do those toyboats, but they blamed me for it anyway. (I watched the guy do it.) And yes, the submarine was my suggestion.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2003, 12:42 »
What's up there? Heard they are down again and ca't staff with contractors.  Called Nine Mile for house techs to agument the outage.  They were offering $135/day diem.  Must need people badly.
It is what it is!

Pet_Cow

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2003, 03:39 »
What's up there? Heard they are down again and ca't staff with contractors.  Called Nine Mile for house techs to agument the outage.  They were offering $135/day diem.  Must need people badly.

Think maybe they will let me back???

radghost

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2003, 07:31 »
:-X PERRY!!! whaddup with the overexposures in the rwcu hx rm. anybody there?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2003, 12:25 »
did 10 months there during startup/warranty run and 1st operational year.  the rules sucked, but most of the people were ok.  great steelhead run there.  last time i checked they still wouldn't let me back becuz of my writin skillz.  emagin dat?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2003, 01:27 »
Sloglo, I still pride myself as being one of the few people in the the biz who can read your handwriting.  You make chicken tracks look good.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Haz-Mater

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2003, 06:24 »
I was there in the winter and spring of 92.  The plant, the house techs, the union, and the community sucked.  The only good thing I seen there was June...when it stopped snowing.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2003, 02:29 »
And four from Grand Gulf.... still waiting to here the dope on what is going on up there.  Sounds pretty hush hush.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2003, 03:43 »
I can see my scale model Perry voodoo doll is paying dividends.

CheeseheadNuke

« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2003, 06:30 »
Worked there in the drywell in 96. Fire in substation/plant blackout. Got to cruise the drywell top to bottom and hand out flashlights to help get people out. This was the worst plant I ever worked at. Site coordinator was the worst. Used to find our paychecks on the breakroom floor - in the snow! House mgmt.treated us like less than crap. I recall a tech (I think her name was Dorothy) calling for a relief while controlling access at a locked hi rad area door . She said she only needed to use the restroom and would be able to come right back. She no relief for many hours. When she complained about it after the fact, house mgmt ran her so ragged, the hauled her out on a stretcher a couple days later. Had to park so far away in an unpaved contractors lot filled with construction debris under the unplowed snow. Dragging 4 by 4's and chunks of concrete under one's car was common. Security had radar guns and would write you up for infractions and then you would be subject to termination. I said I wouldn't go back even if they offered 50/hr and 150/day. My first and last outage there. What a s&$t-hole !

Melrose

« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2003, 08:11 »
There's nothing really "secret squirrel" going on, they're pulling house techs from other plants because because they can't get road techs to come play in their litter box.

rlbinc

« Reply #21 on: Apr 28, 2003, 12:34 »
Something may be cooking up there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Perry reported slow control rod "settle" times last year with suspected control rod blade / fuel channel friction. Check INPO website for details.

This last weeked, they declared an ALERT EAL due to a Fuel Handling Building High Radiation from a "bubble" coming up in the pool.

They have a fuel clad leaker, as a minimum. And problems with fuel channel bowing causing control blade contact.

Sounds like some HP support will be in order.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 28, 2003, 01:51 »
Heard they had an admin over exposure in the RWCU Hx Rm.  Original estimates may be low.  Also they supposedly had an uptake in the same location within days of the first incident.  Need some of the Perry outage techs to get some info.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

radghost

« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2003, 06:20 »
Hey rain man, define low, 1600 by ED, TLD 1300 mr. , quite a difference in the readings too. Perry's had a history of hot spots 40-60 R/hr in most small bore piping, I'm sure the RWCU system is loaded.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 29, 2003, 10:51 »
radghost,  The 1600 mRem number was supposedly erroneous due to location of the WB TLD.  Word is that the highest exposure was to the head and is a possible 10CFR annual over exposure.  With 40-60 R hot spots, it wouldn't take long if someone wasn't on their toes.  Guess the Health Physicists are earning their pay now trying to crunch the numbers down to get it below the Federal limit if it looked like they exceeded it.  Damned RWCU system is always waiting to bite someone.

Lakenuke

« Reply #25 on: Apr 30, 2003, 07:39 »
Word is they had LP turbine damage due to a bad sync in the past; extended the outage; must fix prior to starting up.  

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #26 on: Apr 30, 2003, 09:50 »
Damaged LP turbine and an outage extension?  Sounds like Perry will be on the auction block again.

HockeystarMDH

Re: Perry
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2004, 03:24 »
I've been in Perry and I believe it is a safe and very good overall site.

Chelios

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:51 »
I was at Perry in '94 (10 years gone nigh) and found that it had a paranoid personality. Management was out to make examples of those who screwed up. A fine example they themselves made. Most of the house techs were good people, but there were a couple of strange ones. Some of the management people were real ignorant @#%@#*s. However, if you kept a low profile, it was a good money maker. You were limited to 5 12s, so you always got a 2 day off. The 3 month outage went for over 7. I'm sure it has changed since then, and I hope it has been for the better.

yuffie_2000us

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:18 »
They are the only White Finding RP Dept. in the country. One of the hottest dose wise also. They will work you hard during outages . Last outage they paid the Bartlett Techs $65 a day diem and then brought in house techs from other utilities and paid them $205 a day diem. First Energy has proven that they dont know how to operate nuke plants safely. Be very wary of going there. The walk into the plant from the contractors parking lot alone will hurt you.

Harpo

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2004, 09:54 »
Not a BAD place to work. 9 out of 10 house techs are good people. Management has improved since 1994 BUT ... The last outage was a real bear for them. Alot of things went wrong. Dose was wasted by certain supervisors who were out of their element. I usually work there for outages and special projects (and like it) but after last outage I told the RPM that because of the hassle with supervision, the wasted dose (three nightshift seniors picked up over 700mR in the first 10 days), the walk into the plant, etc. ,I wouldn't be back unless the money went up.

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2005, 11:40 »
Hey Phil75.  Was the plant being managed by First Energy when you were there?  I have just been offered a job there in the training department and would appreciate any more information.

Jr8black3

« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2005, 01:15 »
<< Has only quit one place, and that is it...The HP management tried to tell Me I couldn't go home and get married, Well I've been married for 15 years now,, I would never go back there.. I would live in a box in a alley before I ever went back there.

surveyrad

« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2005, 07:21 »
Have anyone heard about stuff that's going on at Perry?

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2005, 08:44 »
Is the stuff you mention above new stuff?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:23 »
Yes, I worked here from March through December, and it lived up to all the hype.

It was a combination of Mardi Gras, Spring Break, and Woodstock. It was fun, but I didn't get alot of sleep.......:)

LinkNuc

« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:21 »
Well it certainly is a stretch goal, but its like the Beav no one believed we could do it and pow 23 day outage.   It can be done, and its just about working the schedule and COMMUNICATION!! We brought soem butt-kickers up here from The Beav so It might not be a pleasant outage but I think it will be successful.

shovelheadred

« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2007, 06:27 »
...just a quick question...Are Lydia and Steve Jacobs still working at Perry?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2007, 10:46 »
If you know where someone is please contact that person and let them know, giving them the option of contact. Not everyone wants to be found.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2007, 10:53 by Marlin »

dtjim

« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2007, 08:05 »
when is the perry outage scheduled for

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2007, 08:56 »

LinkNuc

« Reply #41 on: Feb 04, 2007, 02:30 »
Currently scheduled for April 2nd for 29 days.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #42 on: Mar 27, 2007, 12:59 »
The information regarding overseas techs applies much more broadly than to one plant only. That portion has been split off into a new topic:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10508.0.html
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2007, 03:57 »
The outage is just about over here.
We are sitting on 350 Rem for the total. Still a lot of work to do yet.
Massive layoff this Friday. It should just about clear the place of all contractors, except for the golden children.
Bright side: It didn't even snow this week.

Fermi2

« Reply #44 on: Aug 06, 2008, 09:50 »
What's Operations like up there?

gaetano01

« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:51 »
Can anybody provide me with an email address or phone number for a nuke recruiter or ops manager type at Perry / FirstEnergy?  I'm transitioning out of the Navy soon and would like to discuss career opportunities at NE Ohio's only nuke plant.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #46 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:14 »
Can anybody provide me with an email address or phone number for a nuke recruiter or ops manager type at Perry / FirstEnergy?  I'm transitioning out of the Navy soon and would like to discuss career opportunities at NE Ohio's only nuke plant.
Here is the First Energy job search page....most utilities now start there. Good Luck :)
https://erecruit.firstenergycorp.com/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_unreg_job_search?sap-wd-configid=zhr_unreg_job_s_config&sap-client=010
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Yurij

Perry outage
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:53 »
Has anyone any info on when the first call for fitters/welders will be for the Feb outage?Which local handles Perry ???

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:53 »
I am surprised there is nothing written about Perry's outage yet.  I will be there on March 9th for 3 weeks.  I haven't heard anything good through the grape vine.  Short on tech's, lots of PCE's, uptakes, etc.  I guess I'll find out whats true and whats not next week.
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2009, 12:48 »
There has been enough written about the place to know what to expect when you get there!
Some things will never change...even in 15 years!
Just remember that if you want a break, you can frisk tools for a while then your "break" is over!, oh & "we don't have to give you a lunch!"
Nuf said!

• Light User
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2009, 01:37 »
RRhoads, you forgot the part about sticking a broom up your a _ _ so you can sweep up as you walk around.
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2009, 02:36 »
Wow..was not there for that one!
oh well..it's only temporary!
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009, 02:37 by RRhoads »

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2009, 02:48 »
I am surprised there is nothing written about Perry's outage yet.  I will be there on March 9th for 3 weeks.  I haven't heard anything good through the grape vine.  Short on tech's, lots of PCE's, uptakes, etc.  I guess I'll find out whats true and whats not next week.

We are currently looking at just under 400 REM Goal for the outage. We have 35 PCE's through Day 10 of the outage. Sticks are coming out of the pot at a nice clip. Uptakes?? Not sure where that one came from....If all goes well the unit will be up and running the same day the IRS expects you to have your taxes in......An outage is an outage is an outage....Chaos = cash

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #53 on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:40 »
Holy Crap!
Just under 400 P-Rem for the outage :o
We'd get hammered severly if we had that as our Dose goal!
Same for the PCE "goal"!
Turn 'em & burn 'em!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #54 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:26 »
OK, looking at it old school -

400 P-Rem for a 50+ day outage is 8 Rem/day...still high. Esp for a big boiler with enough room to get away from things...

35 PCEs @ day 10....plots to 175  for the outage.... not great, but not awful bad if those are real numbers and not just the ones that couldn't get deconned before they got to the checkpoint.

Hope it smooths out. Never been to Perry, but I've been to big boilers.....busy outages.

Peace,  ;)

Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #55 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:58 »
Less than 400 Rem is a huge improvement for this plant. This plant has the highest source term of any plant. the hope is that the Chemical Decon that was so successful at the sister plant River Bend will be equally successful here and bring us closer in line with the industry standard.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #56 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:14 »
Less than 400 Rem is a huge improvement for this plant. This plant has the highest source term of any plant. the hope is that the Chemical Decon that was so successful at the sister plant River Bend will be equally successful here and bring us closer in line with the industry standard.

...how does the chemical decon work...

...when in the refuel evolution is the decon performed...

...where is the decon system attached to the primary...

...did first chem decons at summer and duane and would like to know how the process has advanced especially at your BWR Model 6...

• Light User
« Reply #57 on: Mar 20, 2009, 05:24 »
Chemical Decon is ongoing at this time, so the results are not in yet.

Today was considered the mid point of the outage.  Currently ~ 215 rem and 110 PCE's.
There are some small cracks in the Low Pressure Turbine on the wheel that holds the blades.  They are machining to see how deep they go.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009, 05:32 by Rather Hunt Than Tech »

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #58 on: Mar 22, 2009, 11:04 »
Latest word on the street is that all the Bartlett Carnival Workers, including myself, are outta here by 4/17/09.

Chemical decon is knocking the dose rates down by 40-60%. Perry may even lose their "One of the worst BWR dose plants in the nation" ranking. Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, the powers that be are getting excited about the Chem Decon results. The outage is winding down and the weather is starting to break. Open the beach, baby.....

• Light User
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33 »
Bartlett was not all out by the 17th.  Don't know how many are still there.  The outage is still not over, currently trying to heat up and get on line.  Currently 576 rem and 252 PCE's.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Apr 05, 2011, 12:42 »
The unit will shut down Sunday, April 17th at midnight. The Outage Planning Team states they will complete the outage in 33 days. The people that work here on a regular basis say it will go from 45-75 days, depending on just how long they have been here...:)

Each outage, it seems as if the wheel reinvention team gets more funding. They had trouble getting Senior Techs, so DZ instituted a bonus of $7,750 if you complete the outage. Before you knew it, the technicians crawled out from under rocks to accept a job here. Funny how money talks.

I am working the ALARA gig for the outage, so I don't get involved in the technician battles, but the house guys all get along with the carnies here. This will be the warm weather outage, so the weather won't suck so bad this time.

IMHO, the outage will go 46 days. In my wallet's opinion, it will go 75 days.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #61 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:11 »
Any info on the fatality at Perry?

NRC event report 48769 @ 2/29/13
TRANSPORT OF POTENTIALLY CONTAMINATED WORKER AND SUBSEQUENT FATALITY

milo124

« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:55 »
Wow.  Don't know the details but sad news.  Especially after reading this http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/01/firstenergys_perry_nuclear_pla.html
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013, 12:13 by milo124 »

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2013, 12:21 »
The man was a carpenter. He was working in the RCIC room, which is a Contaminated Area. He had a medical event (heart attack, stroke, seizure) while exiting the scaffold platform, on the ladder traversing down to the floor. He fell into a protruding scaffold pole, which contacted the back of his head and he hit the floor after that. CPR was administered and was showing good signs, but when they transported him to the RCA exit, they had to use the AED. That was not working, so they started to pump his chest as they were wheeling him out. After that, we heard he expired at the hospital.

He was in his early 40's, leaving a wife and 2 kids. He was a great guy and great coworker. Remember folks, life is not permanent. Kiss and hug your loved ones every day and say "I love you" as much as you can.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2013, 12:30 »
Wow.  Don't know the details but sad news.  Especially after reading this http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/01/firstenergys_perry_nuclear_pla.html

As far as this story goes, this reminds me of when I was at Lasalle in 1997. The NRC has basically stated that if you have a good outage and you stop pumping out Human Performance violations, you can continue on your merry way. If not, they will ask Perry to put the vehicle in Park, open all the doors, give us the keys and step out of the vehicle.....Then, its a 2-year carnival for contractors and consultants trying to get Perry back on the tracks after derailment.

Hopefully, they can get their act together and get the white stuff flowing out of the cooling tower. Otherwise, the NRC will be renting a house long-term here in the village of Perry.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #65 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:37 »
I have a nuclear acquaintance working the Perry outage. He's complaining about  lack of PPE such as proper sized shoe covers, shortage of Framtex coveralls, even surgeons gloves.
Is this really a problem at the outage?
Is this a problem for the power plant sector?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #66 on: Mar 18, 2017, 05:05 »
sometimes....

tagline

« Reply #67 on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:37 »
I have a nuclear acquaintance working the Perry outage. He's complaining about  lack of PPE such as proper sized shoe covers, shortage of Framtex coveralls, even surgeons gloves.
Is this really a problem at the outage?
Is this a problem for the power plant sector?

What your friend said is TRUE !

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2017, 12:08 by SloGlo »

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #69 on: Mar 23, 2017, 02:40 »
Perry has a history of not having supplies and stocking the lowest amount of "stuff" they can. I guess you could look at it from a business perspective and say, they are spending as little as possible before they either shut down or sell to an Entergy or FPL or Exelon, all of which have been rumored to be buyers.

I think you will find that most places do have all they need, if they know how to order supplies for a refueling outage. Remember, not all of these plants use the same procedures, processes and mindset. Some do it great and some do it ass-backwards.

Once you try an outage from each utility, you will get an idea of which one knows their stuff and which one couldn't pour piss out of a boot with directions on the bottom.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #70 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:46 »
Perry has a history of not having supplies and stocking the lowest amount of "stuff" they can. I guess you could look at it from a business perspective and say, they are spending as little as possible before they either shut down or sell to an Entergy or FPL or Exelon, all of which have been rumored to be buyers.

I think you will find that most places do have all they need, if they know how to order supplies for a refueling outage. Remember, not all of these plants use the same procedures, processes and mindset. Some do it great and some do it ass-backwards.

Once you try an outage from each utility, you will get an idea of which one knows their stuff and which one couldn't pour piss out of a boot with directions on the bottom.

the paradigm has also been known to vary at the same site within the same utility from projects such as SGRP to routine refueling outages,...

as stated above,....  it's business,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #71 on: Mar 24, 2017, 08:07 »
the paradigm has also been known to vary at the same site within the same utility from projects such as SGRP to routine refueling outages,...

as stated above,....  it's business,...

I keep hearing and reading about the increased safety profile at the nukes, especially during outages. How does having shortages of PPE square with safety in a business sense?

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #72 on: Mar 24, 2017, 09:15 »
Typically laundry vendor(s) that actually sell, lease and wash the product have a thorough working knowledge of the past PPE use for each facility.  There is pre-outage communication between the vendor and the client to hash out the correct amounts which can change drastically if one or more major project is also happening during an outage.  While not an exact science, there is enough historical information on PPE use during outages to make it close.  The size changes over the years is interesting.  Not as much small & medium coveralls but much more 3XL and up.  Custom 7XL coveralls are huge!
LM

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #73 on: Mar 24, 2017, 10:48 »
I keep hearing and reading about the increased safety profile at the nukes, especially during outages. How does having shortages of PPE square with safety in a business sense?

not so much shortages as emergent conditions,....

e.g. - SGRP: there will be LOTS of people, there will be a huge need, might as well front load as much as you can to keep things moving, and then wind down as the SGRP closes out, which also takes several weeks,...

routine refueling outage: 3 weeks long and intensely scheduled down to the number of people, the number of jumps, and the RIFs are by the hour in most instances anymore, THEN trouble with a seal or a pump, or a  valve and that tight schedule is pushed by hours or days, THEN the PPE may become problematic, also a lot of contracts are requiring the vendors to supply the consumable PPE items as the utility is not as free with these items as some folks are accustomed to (bending the cost curve down stuff aka the nuclear promise),...

I could go on, but you've been around a long time, it should all make sense now,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #74 on: Mar 24, 2017, 12:13 »
eye dunno about these hi faluting last too posts, butt at this outage their has bin chronic shortfalls on items, most of witch where previously mentioned. aye over herd a supervisor say that disposable items could knot bee ordered until they had run out of them.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #75 on: Mar 24, 2017, 02:58 »
eye dunno about these hi faluting last too posts, butt at this outage their has bin chronic shortfalls on items, most of witch where previously mentioned. aye over herd a supervisor say that disposable items could knot bee ordered until they had run out of them.

I reckon, I just prefer to start from the position that the site is run by professionals who do give a dam and perform the best they can within budget, schedule, and policy,....

until proven otherwise,....

other folks?!?!?,...

well other folks always think the utility, contract company and or local union is looking to just be a bunch of jackasses for the sake of being jackasses,....

that's just my hifalutin, opinion,...

YMMV,.... 8)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #76 on: Mar 26, 2017, 06:40 »
hadda guy awn my crue yesterday waring yeller shoe covers over size fifteen work boots.
gist saying...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #77 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:17 »
two bad theirs know outage hear too begin the year, wit such a beautiful winter wonderland.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #78 on: Dec 27, 2017, 10:37 »
two bad theirs know outage hear too begin the year, wit such a beautiful winter wonderland.

Dis hear sitch ewe asian autz ta make a joyous camp ear outta y'all as y'all will knot half two end doar da brew tally tee of run inn shy of flip inn anti seize.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2017, 10:39 by fiveeleven »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #79 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:26 »
lol! aye nebber had know prob wit snow nor cold. bee glad to cum up their n lend a hand, iffen it's two bad fore yins 😉

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #81 on: Mar 28, 2018, 06:59 »
Good info but this has kinda been going on for awhile....

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #83 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:41 »
It's a shame because its only 15 minutes from home, but I haven't worked there in 3 years anyway. The homers will be needing to update those resumes they haven't updated in 10 years. First Energy has been threatening to do this for awhile, so this shouldn't come as a total shock.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #84 on: Mar 29, 2018, 03:16 »
It's a shame because its only 15 minutes from home, but I haven't worked there in 3 years anyway. The homers will be needing to update those resumes they haven't updated in 10 years. First Energy has been threatening to do this for awhile, so this shouldn't come as a total shock.

DnD has been good 2 me,....

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #85 on: Mar 29, 2018, 05:05 »
Good for me also, but it's a shame to see all these gigawatts taken off the grid. Price of electricity will be rising in this sector.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #86 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:16 »

That is definitely the right path. When North Star bought WCS, that created a new path for decommissioning to be accelerated.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #87 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:17 »
Entergy has already started beating the drum to get the experienced First Energy employees.
http://nuclearstreet.com/p/nuclear-jobs#/jobs/14554/firstenergy-nuclear-employees-entergy-opportunities

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?