Below Average
39 (66.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Perry  (Read 87720 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Perry
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:49 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Perry
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:34 »
Talk About: Perry

cmundson

Re: Talk About: Perry
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2002, 06:13 »
I am starting an RO/SRO class in January after 8.5 years in the nuclear navy. Anyone have any info on the Perry Nuclear Power Plant??  

Pet_Cow

Re: Rate Perry
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2002, 08:54 »
Don't forget your track shoes. The floor levels are don't match from building to building and what the heck is that BFRT? Is it a containment or a drywell? Not to mention lousy management and techs. And what is that they work?- 15 minutes in and 15 minutes out.

amjw229

Re: Rate Perry
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2003, 08:45 »
Just curious about why you seem to dislike the place...I'm training to be a tech and would like to work at Perry.  If it's mainly management, you'll find problems in EVERY industry.  My questions are...Do you feel that the work environment is safe? and...Do you feel that you are paid well?

amjw229

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2003, 08:59 »
I don't have any info on the Perry Plant, but I live near it and am hoping to eventually get work over there.  If you get any information at all...could you please let me know?  I would like to get a feel for how the employees feel about the pay and the safety at the place...Thanks!

cmundson

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2003, 02:40 »
Although I just started recently, I enjoy my time there. Also, I am in the 6 month limbo from starting my class in July... Everyone seems to enjoy the work there. I may be jaded since I just got out of the Navy... and anything would be better than that experience. But I am also from the area and am glad to have a job in the area... Safety seems to be pretty good here. No real incidents that I have heard of.

KingSmag

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2003, 10:38 »
Can you drop me some info on Perry, I'm interested in working there. I'm a soon to be ex-navy ELT, and I'm looking for work in or around OH, WV, or KY.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:10 »
Can you drop me some info on Perry, I'm interested in working there. I'm a soon to be ex-navy ELT, and I'm looking for work in or around OH, WV, or KY.

It is called the mistake on the lake. Radcon has its share of dirt balls. You better like Cleveland sports or else- don't go there. I understand the local schools are great due to the money the plant pours into the area. They don't like it when you float toy boats in their suppression pool.

Austria

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2003, 11:42 »
heehee....I remember the toy boat incident(s).  Nope they didn't like that one damn bit. Used to play baseball in containment as well.
Pet Cow is certainly right about the sports too. Cleveland fans are pretty dedicated and don't like to hear much about support for other teams. The good news is that Jacobs field is one of the nicest parks in baseball. Haven't seen the new football stadium yet. And who would have thought the Browns would even get a wild card spot this last year. Oh yea, much to my surprise, the TGI Friday's here in Vienna was full of Browns fans when they had the Browns-Steelers game on the big screen in the bar.
And yes....Cleveland was known as the mistake on the lake. Everything from the Cuyahoga river catching fire to Lake Erie being so polluted at one time it was not safe to go swimming. The city really has improved over the years though and from spring to fall there are local fairs and festivals to suit every taste and some nice enough scenery to go along. And the lake and river have cleaned up nicely.
As for the plant, I haven't been there in a while but spent a LOT of time there early to mid 90's. There were a lot of good people there but many of them were eventually beat down by bad management. Pretty sad, really. Oh yea....it's freakin huge and the elevations don't match from building to building.
All in all, it's a nice enough area to live and work (except for that 'lake effect' snow) with a reasonable cost of living.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2003, 03:51 »
heehee....I remember the toy boat incident(s).  Nope they didn't like that one damn bit. Used to play baseball in containment as well.
Pet Cow is certainly right about the sports too. Cleveland fans are pretty dedicated and don't like to hear much about support for other teams. The good news is that Jacobs field is one of the nicest parks in baseball. Haven't seen the new football stadium yet. And who would have thought the Browns would even get a wild card spot this last year. Oh yea, much to my surprise, the TGI Friday's here in Vienna was full of Browns fans when they had the Browns-Steelers game on the big screen in the bar.
And yes....Cleveland was known as the mistake on the lake. Everything from the Cuyahoga river catching fire to Lake Erie being so polluted at one time it was not safe to go swimming. The city really has improved over the years though and from spring to fall there are local fairs and festivals to suit every taste and some nice enough scenery to go along. And the lake and river have cleaned up nicely.
As for the plant, I haven't been there in a while but spent a LOT of time there early to mid 90's. There were a lot of good people there but many of them were eventually beat down by bad management. Pretty sad, really. Oh yea....it's freakin huge and the elevations don't match from building to building.
All in all, it's a nice enough area to live and work (except for that 'lake effect' snow) with a reasonable cost of living.

I didn't do those toyboats, but they blamed me for it anyway. (I watched the guy do it.) And yes, the submarine was my suggestion.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2003, 12:42 »
What's up there? Heard they are down again and ca't staff with contractors.  Called Nine Mile for house techs to agument the outage.  They were offering $135/day diem.  Must need people badly.
It is what it is!

Pet_Cow

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2003, 03:39 »
What's up there? Heard they are down again and ca't staff with contractors.  Called Nine Mile for house techs to agument the outage.  They were offering $135/day diem.  Must need people badly.

Think maybe they will let me back???

radghost

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2003, 07:31 »
:-X PERRY!!! whaddup with the overexposures in the rwcu hx rm. anybody there?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2003, 12:25 »
did 10 months there during startup/warranty run and 1st operational year.  the rules sucked, but most of the people were ok.  great steelhead run there.  last time i checked they still wouldn't let me back becuz of my writin skillz.  emagin dat?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2003, 01:27 »
Sloglo, I still pride myself as being one of the few people in the the biz who can read your handwriting.  You make chicken tracks look good.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Haz-Mater

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2003, 06:24 »
I was there in the winter and spring of 92.  The plant, the house techs, the union, and the community sucked.  The only good thing I seen there was June...when it stopped snowing.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2003, 02:29 »
And four from Grand Gulf.... still waiting to here the dope on what is going on up there.  Sounds pretty hush hush.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2003, 03:43 »
I can see my scale model Perry voodoo doll is paying dividends.

CheeseheadNuke

« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2003, 06:30 »
Worked there in the drywell in 96. Fire in substation/plant blackout. Got to cruise the drywell top to bottom and hand out flashlights to help get people out. This was the worst plant I ever worked at. Site coordinator was the worst. Used to find our paychecks on the breakroom floor - in the snow! House mgmt.treated us like less than crap. I recall a tech (I think her name was Dorothy) calling for a relief while controlling access at a locked hi rad area door . She said she only needed to use the restroom and would be able to come right back. She no relief for many hours. When she complained about it after the fact, house mgmt ran her so ragged, the hauled her out on a stretcher a couple days later. Had to park so far away in an unpaved contractors lot filled with construction debris under the unplowed snow. Dragging 4 by 4's and chunks of concrete under one's car was common. Security had radar guns and would write you up for infractions and then you would be subject to termination. I said I wouldn't go back even if they offered 50/hr and 150/day. My first and last outage there. What a s&$t-hole !

Melrose

« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2003, 08:11 »
There's nothing really "secret squirrel" going on, they're pulling house techs from other plants because because they can't get road techs to come play in their litter box.

rlbinc

« Reply #21 on: Apr 28, 2003, 12:34 »
Something may be cooking up there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Perry reported slow control rod "settle" times last year with suspected control rod blade / fuel channel friction. Check INPO website for details.

This last weeked, they declared an ALERT EAL due to a Fuel Handling Building High Radiation from a "bubble" coming up in the pool.

They have a fuel clad leaker, as a minimum. And problems with fuel channel bowing causing control blade contact.

Sounds like some HP support will be in order.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 28, 2003, 01:51 »
Heard they had an admin over exposure in the RWCU Hx Rm.  Original estimates may be low.  Also they supposedly had an uptake in the same location within days of the first incident.  Need some of the Perry outage techs to get some info.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

radghost

« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2003, 06:20 »
Hey rain man, define low, 1600 by ED, TLD 1300 mr. , quite a difference in the readings too. Perry's had a history of hot spots 40-60 R/hr in most small bore piping, I'm sure the RWCU system is loaded.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 29, 2003, 10:51 »
radghost,  The 1600 mRem number was supposedly erroneous due to location of the WB TLD.  Word is that the highest exposure was to the head and is a possible 10CFR annual over exposure.  With 40-60 R hot spots, it wouldn't take long if someone wasn't on their toes.  Guess the Health Physicists are earning their pay now trying to crunch the numbers down to get it below the Federal limit if it looked like they exceeded it.  Damned RWCU system is always waiting to bite someone.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?