Turkey Point

Above Average
10 (12.2%)
Average
23 (28%)
Below Average
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Turkey Point  (Read 226302 times)

Offline vagabond

• Light User
Re: Interviews at Turkey Point
« Reply #175 on: Feb 16, 2009, 02:21 »
I hate to hijack, but when did they close the openings for this?  There is nothing on their website, and I'd love to apply.

Good luck btw!
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

davesally

Re: Turkey Point
« Reply #176 on: Mar 19, 2009, 12:32 »

Been invited back for a second interview soon at T.P. for NLO training. Any help on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #177 on: Mar 20, 2009, 08:35 »
Look me up when you get here... I am in RP Training.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #178 on: Mar 20, 2009, 08:53 »
I see they are hiring for a Sn Chem Tech, any insights into TP Chem?

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #179 on: Mar 21, 2009, 04:04 »
I see they are hiring for a Sn Chem Tech, any insights into TP Chem?

I don't see it on their site for TP.  Do you have other information that they will be posting openings soon?
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #180 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:13 »
Thank you.  It seems that I am a failure at life.  I couldn't find it for some reason when I searched, but I had it added to my "job cart" for later.  Maybe it's due to them changing the verbage slightly.  I appreciate the link.   Now I have to rewrite my resume so they won't reject it this time.  lol

respectome

Turkey Point NLO to SRO
« Reply #181 on: Apr 14, 2009, 01:19 »
I passed the POSS (what ever that means, not sure how well I did) and now I am going down there this weekend to interview. I am planing to start class at Turkey Point in June 2009, can anyone tell me about turkey point and their training and also the area. I have read so far about the area was not so good, Homestead is poor and crime ridden yet has a over priced house market?

I do look forward to the beach weather, love the outdoors  8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
Re: Turkey Point NLO to SRO
« Reply #182 on: Apr 14, 2009, 02:44 »
I passed the POSS (what ever that means, not sure how well I did) and now I am going down there this weekend to interview. I am planing to start class at Turkey Point in June 2009, can anyone tell me about turkey point and their training and also the area. I have read so far about the area was not so good, Homestead is poor and crime ridden yet has a over priced house market?

I do look forward to the beach weather, love the outdoors  8)

The Homestead area is like the start of a Dickens novel (A Tale of Two Cities)... "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

There is a lot of poverty. There are not a lot of very highly rated schools (an understatement according to a lot of people.) The crime rate is what you would expect for a poor area (bad.) Homestead itself does not have beaches per se because of the way the Keys come up and shelter the area and the abundance of mangrove hammocks and the Everglades (it is practically IN the Everglades.) The housing market is strange because there are a lot of very low priced areas where the neighborhoods are not good and some higher priced areas where the gated communities are. You don't want to live outside of a gated community (IMHO.) The housing prices have been coming down, but a lot of people are reluctant to sell because they stand to lose a lot. There are a significant number of foreclosed houses on the market for cheap.

On the other hand, it is less than 30 minutes from the Keys which ranks up there among the most beautiful places in the country, assuming you like summer... all year long. There are some excellent restaurants within half an hour. You are about 30 or 40 minutes from Miami Beach... no explanation necessary. There is a lot to do if you are into the touristy things; Pennekamp State Park where you can snorkel or scuba dive on beautiful reefs, the Everglades (with the alligator shows and airboat rides,) the Seaquarium for the kids, a reasonable zoo nearby. Of course, Miami has all of the big city stuff, too. There is a decent golf course in Homestead, another nearby in the Redlands and a lot of them within an hour, up to and including Doral, which is open to the public (but a bit pricey.) If you can't find something to amuse you within an hour's drive, you are not looking... that drive includes the Everglades, all of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, too.

Lots of people commute up to an hour to the plant in order to NOT live in Homestead. That puts a lot of very nice areas in range of what you may or may not call an acceptable drive to work... during outages, that is too much for me.

I have been here over two years as a Temp and am strongly considering taking a permanent job. I have no children so I don't care about the schools and I currently live in a nice (gated) community. The bottom line is that there are good and bad things about Homestead. How you assess the balance is a personal choice.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

harleydad101

« Reply #183 on: Apr 15, 2009, 03:03 »
Dude, A simple the immediate area sucks but if you don't mind a drive come on down, would have done it.  Holy cow, you shouldn't be tech'n you should be a tourist guide.  The real bottom line is it's an extension of South Miami.  Enter at your own risk.  Thanks for the laugh.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: Apr 15, 2009, 03:30 »
Dude, A simple the immediate area sucks but if you don't mind a drive come on down, would have done it.  Holy cow, you shouldn't be tech'n you should be a tourist guide.  The real bottom line is it's an extension of South Miami.  Enter at your own risk.  Thanks for the laugh.

I am happy you are so easily amused. When asked a question I can answer I prefer to give useful information. Your response is entirely up to you. Thanks so much for the critique, I will treasure it always.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2009, 03:30 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #185 on: Apr 15, 2009, 03:39 »
Thanks so much for the critique, I will treasure it always.

+K to ya....that's funny, don't matter who y'are!  ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #186 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:17 »
About 45 to 50% of the people fail the POSS. Not 90%

respectome

« Reply #187 on: Apr 16, 2009, 12:44 »
Thanks for the information so far, at the interview are looking for the basic tell that you are quailified and desire the job and you are a team woker. I'm only going to dress in slacks and button down shirt, nice but not a suite.

I was looking at houses east of the turn pike in homestead under the air reserve base, some really nice prices - it seems by the looks of the neighborhood not too bad of a place to buy. I may need a room for 3 months first before I buy?

Good to hear only 50% pass, it was easy, not to say I am very smart and/or smarter then the rest.

Thanks all

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: Apr 16, 2009, 01:49 »
I was looking at houses east of the turn pike in homestead under the air reserve base, some really nice prices - it seems by the looks of the neighborhood not too bad of a place to buy. I may need a room for 3 months first before I buy?

That is the right area to be looking in. The closer you get to Keys Gate Golf Course, the better. As a matter of fact, most of the best communities are part of a complex called Keys Gate (North Gate, Town Gate, Arbor Park, Keys Landing, The Fairways, Palm Isle, The Shores, and a couple of others.)

If you want just a room for a few months there is a new hotel (like Extended Stay) in town in a reasonable neighborhood called Value Place that rents suites by the week for under $400. Check out valueplace.com and look under Miami (Homestead). I haven't been there, but it is very new and looks OK.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: Apr 25, 2009, 07:40 »
They hire locally whenever possible because there have been a lot of people that came in, got qualified and left because they didn't like the area as much as they thought they would (or not at all.) They are (were might be better because it has improved) in deep trouble with the NRC for their turnover rate and have been working hard to fix that. When people have a vested interest in the area and know what they are getting into, they are less likely to leave and the attrition numbers improve. The company has spent a lot of money to fix the problem and this is one of the things they have learned. They work with the local community college and have programs for engineering, ops, chemistry and RP, so they get many locals that way.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

respectome

« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30 »
I told them I really like the Miami area, anyway, just got a job with Siemens in Orlando.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #191 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:16 »
You just have to love living and working in south Florida...

At 1328 [EST] on 11/26/09, the Turkey Point Nuclear Power Station Control Room received a call from an individual stating that he was a member of a group of Cuban nationals that had landed in the Turkey Point cooling canals. The individual reported that 33 Cuban nationals total (29 adults and 4 children) were in the cooling canal system. The Turkey Point Nuclear control room notified Turkey Point Nuclear Security, who located and assumed control over the Cuban nationals without incident. Turkey Point Nuclear Security notified local law enforcement agency (Miami-Dade Police), requesting assistance. At 1425 [EST], Miami-Dade Police arrived on site. United States Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) were notified by Miami-Dade Police.

They must have missed Michael Moore's speeches on how good they have it in Cuba.  ;)

stownsend

« Reply #192 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:55 »
Were any ANSI 3.1 qualified?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #193 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:10 »
Come on now Steve..   You know they all were 3.1s. We have been hearing for years that there are boat loads of qualified  techs out there. This was just the first boat.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #194 on: Jul 30, 2010, 04:47 »
Just because there are a lot of rumors flying around out there I figured it was about time that I chimed in and gave ya my 2 cents whether you want it or not.   Certain companies have been recruiting SHP techs for Turkey Point stating that they either have a back-up contract or are about to receive one.  Certain web sites are out right stating that other companies either are recruiting for or already have a back-up contract in place.  I just wanted to set the record straight, Turkey Point is staffed.  None of the companies advertising "Outage work for SHP's in the South East" will be placing HP techs there, nor were they ever slated to do so.  If you fell for the propaganda machine don't worry about it, allot of people have fallen for the lies, half-truths, and misleading statements coming from various companies and entities out there.  I for one will continue to post the truth as I know it, y'all can take it or leave it, as always its your choice.  

Enjoy the rest of your summer and may you all have a prosperous Fall Season,
Eric
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2010, 08:17 by Eric_Bartlett »
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Jr8black3

« Reply #195 on: Jul 31, 2010, 05:33 »
"Outage work for SHP's in the South East" will be placing HP techs there, nor were they ever slated to do so.  If you fell for the propaganda machine don't worry about it, allot of people have fallen for the lies, half-truths, and misleading statements coming from various wanna-be companies and entities out there.

Eric thats a very rude comment, trust me Eric I have worked for your company, and yes I have been lied to, I really don't care cause I'll probably never work for The big Blue machine again, but Eric be truthful with the techs. that do..lol don't get me wrong some day when i crawl out of my fridge box I might call ya..Tell Jerry I said hi..

Kevin

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #196 on: Jul 31, 2010, 11:53 »
I don't think Eric is being rude.  He is being blunt.   There is a difference.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #197 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:27 »

Eric thats a very rude comment, trust me Eric I have worked for your company, and yes I have been lied to, I really don't care cause I'll probably never work for The big Blue machine again, but Eric be truthful with the techs. that do..lol don't get me wrong some day when i crawl out of my fridge box I might call ya..Tell Jerry I said hi..

Kevin

Kevin - thanks for grounding me, you are right, after reading my post a couple of times I can agree, I did come off as a bit rude, so I modified it.  It was wrong of me to state that the companies that have been putting out misleading info were "wanna-be's".  They are established, legitimate companies both owned by individuals that I had always considered friends, so I do apologize for that statement.  The rest, well as I said, take it or leave it, its your choice.

take it easy

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

duke99301

« Reply #198 on: Aug 01, 2010, 10:17 »
i was just confirmed buy tech USA friday. sorry hit the wrong , I geuss no one lese here has done that, Rp is not my field any more but if nothing comes up I will take the slot.
there are a lot of back up contracts out there if you are willing to risk waiting for them.
I geuss Fl could be 3rd world. but 40 An hour and 150  DAY IS Not bad plus time and half
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2010, 12:51 by duke99301 »

Sun Dog

« Reply #199 on: Aug 01, 2010, 04:38 »
i was just confirmed but tech USA friday

Translation?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?