Turkey Point

Above Average
10 (12.2%)
Average
23 (28%)
Below Average
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Turkey Point  (Read 225895 times)

RAD-GHOST

Re: Turkey Point
« Reply #50 on: Jun 14, 2004, 06:26 »
Look's like it's all is True! 

FP&L is reaching onto the Commodities shelf once again for Techs, for Paradise South!  Use them and Lose them.  They don't even pay for Technician's relocation anymore!  Shows the value they place on Tech's!  Imagin that, a trip to Hell at your own Expense! 

Key Words, " Liquidable, Rental, Temporary, 911 ", Remember Them! 

Been there, done it, have the Insurance Claims to prove it!   

Reminds me of a phrase from a movie, but with a little modification, " Think you hate it now, wait till you work here!"

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #51 on: Oct 20, 2004, 01:34 »
There is a Pizza place that I used to love down there. My favorite was the ETOS (pronounced eat ohs) which had everything. I think that may be the name of the Pizza place as well.  ;D

Make sure your spouse joins you for a slice, since slivered garlic is one of the toppings. If not, maybe the smell will be gone before the outage is over!
 ;) ;)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #52 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:16 »
Anybody have any information on how this one played out?  Rumor is, this one played out like a repeat of history!  Advertized as an eight weeker and they started pushing Techs out the door after three.  True or Not?

RG

Melrose

« Reply #53 on: Nov 08, 2004, 05:25 »
Anybody have any information on how this one played out?  Rumor is, this one played out like a repeat of history!  Advertized as an eight weeker and they started pushing Techs out the door after three.  True or Not?

RG

Yeah, man..... rumor is correct, went down for a 53 day'r, expectin' 40, being a non returnee (first lay-off).  Got 30 instead.
It happens..... :)

Plant person's were good to work with, like everywhere, I'm sure some have disputes.  Ate healthy, the caf served some fine food.

I'd go back.... unfortunately can't make Lucie.....

Maybe spring. ;D

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #54 on: Feb 17, 2005, 09:15 »
FP&L is reaching onto the Commodities shelf once again for Techs, for Paradise South!  Use them and Lose them.  They don't even pay for Technician's relocation anymore!  Shows the value they place on Tech's!  Imagin that, a trip to Hell at your own Expense! 

I am in the present NLO class and they paid to relocate everyone of us. So not sure where you are getting your information. 

Homestead still sucks as much as ever!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2005, 11:25 »
They only hire in June if they are desperate. They can convince almost anyone the area is beautiful in December; why else would all of those out of state (and province) tags be in the area?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

jesspride

« Reply #56 on: Apr 13, 2005, 04:51 »
Moving to turkey point area in May.  Where is a good place to stay for the summer with my husband and dog?

Rad Sponge

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2005, 02:04 »
OK all you Turkey Haters, I got a call today from a TP recruiter inviting me down for interviews and testing.

My wife and I (no kids) are from Boca Raton and all our family is in S. Florida.

She talked to me about an accelerated (her words) SRO program for guys with degrees and experience (Mine is of course Navy so WT please don't bite my head off, I know I'm a nub again LOL).

I guess I'll go, she says the class is expecting to start in July-ish.

R/ Sponge

diliigaf

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2005, 02:16 »

What's your point??? Anyway good luck,you'll need it...

Rad Sponge

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2005, 05:25 »
What's luck have to do with anything?

Offline coolbreeze20650

• Light User
  • Look over your shoulder!
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2005, 07:49 »
The area and the plant are what you make of it.  Remember, it's just a JOB, you don't have to love it.  Just make good enough money to spend your free time doing what you like to do.  When you are catching a sun burn and fish on Christmas Day, remember, it's just a JOB.  When most of your clothes are T-shirts and shorts, remember, it's just a job.  I spent 14 years there and miss the weather and the good people at the site. 

Offline liam

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2005, 10:45 »
Good luck with the housing.  I bought a house in 1989 for $101,000.  The same house today is going for $250,000 and I know what damage it sustained during Hurricane Andrew.  The other day another ex-TPer and I sat down and checked out real estate on the internet for Cutler Ridge.  My friend also left after the hurricane and at the time sold his house for around $90,000.  Today, the same type of house (ranch-1300 square feet) is going for over $200,000.  The people I know at Turkey Point say that housing prices have skyrocketed with no end in sight. If you are willing to make a long commute, you should do okay.

There are a lot of good people working at the Point.  There are also a lot of good people who used to work at the Point.  I spent six years in Homestead and with the exception of having the front door of my house kicked in, my car stolen, my house blown down by Andrew, road-raged by a drunk who blocked the street and kicked my car door while my pregnant wife was in the car, I  had a good time.  Sans Hurricanes, the weather was great.  I miss South Florida every time I shovel snow. 

Fermi2

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2005, 05:02 »
OK all you Turkey Haters, I got a call today from a TP recruiter inviting me down for interviews and testing.

My wife and I (no kids) are from Boca Raton and all our family is in S. Florida.

She talked to me about an accelerated (her words) SRO program for guys with degrees and experience (Mine is of course Navy so WT please don't bite my head off, I know I'm a nub again LOL).

I guess I'll go, she says the class is expecting to start in July-ish.

R/ Sponge

Good luck!! With your attitude you'll do very well. Congratulations on getting the Position. Keep your eyes and ears open and remember you can learn something from everyone you'll meet in this industry.

My problem isn't with Navy Nukes. Hell I'm a Navy Nuke. My problem is when a wet behind the ears Navy Nuke thinks he/she is something special that the real nuke plants haven't seen before!

If you need any help or advice just ask.

And remember, any job is what you make of it. Much of what you see posted is opinion and some of it outright whining. Just take everything with a grain of salt and do what I do when I think, "I can't believe they're actually paying me to do this when people in the world are actually WORKING for a lot less money!" Hell everytime I operate the plant I think how it's like my father gave me the keys to his  multi billion dollar Lincoln. :)

Again if you need any advice or  help just ask.

Mike

mathef

« Reply #63 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:37 »
What's the status of Turkey Point now?  Seems to have a big turnover rate for I&C Supervisors and other personnel.  I keep getting called about interviews, but it just seems like they sure do alot of In-House hiring compared to other sites.  I am looking to make a move south to get out of New England (cold weather & taxes), Florida is one area I am thinking about.  My concern about Turkey Point is the livining conditions in the area.  I do not want to move to a project.  And on the other hand driving 40 miles to work would not bother me either, if that is what it takes.  If anyone can give an update that would be great.

thanks
frank

surf50

« Reply #64 on: Jan 13, 2006, 04:44 »
Here's my take on it. Supervisors (and other salaried jobs) are working most weekends for free;and the union crowd is forced as well, but getting paid;due to severe shortage of personnel.
A lot of decent people work there, but the pressure of outages turns some into raving lunatics.
There is some good new housing nearby,(plan on spending 200k+), and driving 40 miles is an option, but it may take you almost 2 hours during rush hour(on the Turnpike). The public schools are not good. Driving anywhere is death defying due to complete disreguard of traffic rules by everyone.
No income tax, but property taxes, windstorm and auto insurance are very high. During hurricanes, you're expected to be at work, period.
The good part; great winters, lots of things to do(if you're not at work), and you'll make some money..

mathef

« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:32 »
Thanks for the reply,  I will be going down on Wed. for an interview.  Going with an open mind,  I am not pressured to have to take anything I am not comfortable with.  I have no children so Schools are not an issue.  Hurricanes I grew up in New Orleans, so it comes with the territory.

We'll see how it goes.

thanks again
frank

Here's my take on it. Supervisors (and other salaried jobs) are working most weekends for free;and the union crowd is forced as well, but getting paid;due to severe shortage of personnel.
A lot of decent people work there, but the pressure of outages turns some into raving lunatics.
There is some good new housing nearby,(plan on spending 200k+), and driving 40 miles is an option, but it may take you almost 2 hours during rush hour(on the Turnpike). The public schools are not good. Driving anywhere is death defying due to complete disreguard of traffic rules by everyone.
No income tax, but property taxes, windstorm and auto insurance are very high. During hurricanes, you're expected to be at work, period.
The good part; great winters, lots of things to do(if you're not at work), and you'll make some money..

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #66 on: Apr 04, 2006, 09:44 »
1/8" hole drilled in piping investigated as potential sabotage, according to Miami Herald report. That would either be sabotage or really poor work controls. Knowing who the work controls manager was........  :o

Any local input?

Fermi2

« Reply #67 on: Apr 04, 2006, 05:26 »
I few outages ago Fermi had a contract electrician who performed terible work. Mostly it was confined to the BOP but we still had to investigate for sabotage on our MOVs. The end result was the guy was a bad electrician.

What sort of pipe had the hole drilled into it?

Oh and hey dude, what shift are you working for the upcoming outage?

Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2006, 05:27 by Broadzilla »

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #68 on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:21 »
I hate to speculate what the piping was based on a Miami Herald article. I heard that all the original reporting is done for the El Nuevo Herald, and translated later!  :o

The spousal unit has decreed that this outage shall be days.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #69 on: Apr 05, 2006, 10:30 »
The Sun-Sentinel is even farther out to lunch. They imply in their article that the response to the hole was a plant shutdown.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-0401turkeypoint,0,1439954.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

I wish I were there. I could see it live on Channel 7 Death News ("If it bleeds, it leads!") and still not have a clue what they are talking about!

career nuke

« Reply #70 on: Apr 05, 2006, 06:12 »
Wow sponge, you inspire me.  I am getting out in soon and have been talking to FPL looking for work.  I would love to go straight into SRO, but it sounds unlikely.  What about taking a position in maintenance while waiting for next SRO class, does that usually work out well?  any thought?  I have 12 yrs in the navy and a BS in nuclear engineering. I know there are a lot of people whe don't like instant SRO's.  But it sounds like they don't mind people with the "right" attitude....check your ego at the door so's to speak.

Fermi2

« Reply #71 on: Apr 05, 2006, 06:32 »
I thunk FPL was hiring Instants out of the Navy right now. Have to sent a PM to M1Ark?

They still have a bid posted at monster.com

Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2006, 06:36 by Broadzilla »

vikingfan

« Reply #72 on: Apr 07, 2006, 08:09 »
how is the investigation going into potential sabotage? heard they were pulling people access , anyone know whats going on down there??

LaFeet

« Reply #73 on: Apr 07, 2006, 10:04 »
A little birdie told me that they are "awaitin at the gates justa get in".  Seems there are a few FBI types down there asking questions.  I was alos told that I am going down there to expect to retake the MMPI.... nuff said :o

vikingfan

« Reply #74 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:04 »
yea, similar to what i heard. my little birdie also says that anyone who had access there can expect thier access to other plants to be in jeapordy until investigation is complete.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?