Turkey Point

Above Average
10 (12.2%)
Average
23 (28%)
Below Average
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Turkey Point  (Read 226256 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Turkey Point
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:34 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

jackmehoff

Re: Turkey Point
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2002, 07:52 »
The old days were great, but that was when FPL was a company that gave personnel a career.
Today, there are many reasons to avoid all FPL nuke plants (including Seabrook) whether you want to be in-house or a contractor.
If you are in-house, you are subject to the following:
1. The management team are ruthless bastards and their bonuses are number one.  They don't care about you, your family or the ties that you make in an area (friends, schools, churches).  Although they profess a learning organization, you will learn your lesson with discipline, time off and termination.  If you want confirmation on this, ask the previous FPL in-plant management personnel who bought into this get rid of them mentality only to find themselves the person walked off-site or sent to INPO on the next set of down-sizing.
P.S.  Bargaining Unit members, don't feel so smug, you are subject to roles on a moments notice.
2.The area in which most people live that work at Turkey Point is a hazard to life.  Dade County has high taxes, the Homestead, Cutler Ridge, Forida City areas are extremely high in crime, including violent crime.  Isn't that a warm environment to raise your family.
3.The money is the same at FPL as it is in the rest of the industry, so find yourself a job in a plant where you will enjoy your work.  Ask the others in the industry where the managers are part of a TEAM.

If you are a contract or time-bond employee, you are subject to the following:
1. Outage help, the day you arrive, the managers are already looking for an opportunity to terminate your contract and save a dollar.
2. The temp housing is high priced and you take your life in your hands every time you go to the parking lot of the motel.  The car you left in the parking lot of the motel and your possessions in the rooms aren't in good shape either.  They have even had cars at Turkey Point's parking lot vandalized.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2002, 01:32 »
Don't forget to go to the "Rate a site" section and vote for them.

LoneWolf

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2003, 06:02 »
JumpingfoxFarm did not miss a note.
I hear they (Turkey Point) are having trouble staffing for their upcoming outage. FPL used to be able to offer PSL work to enhance the Turkey deal. Technicians would endure the rocky road at Turkey for a chance to go to PSL. Not anymore. Neither place is high on wish list. Bartlett can squeeze, but only so much. Unless you have individual circumstances making the FPL duo attractive, most will stay clear.

LoneWolf

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2003, 06:10 »
:o Working at Turkey is unique. It is in the middle of nothing. Gas stations have bullet proof glass and all is self serve. In the evening hours, the convenience stores will pass your items out through the special bank drawer. It is a melting pot of people. It is almost as if you are in a totally different country. Plenty of rough, nothing to lose types. You must be on guard at all times! FPL is not big on holding to their word. They make promises and then laugh as your performing WBC. They have certainly shifted priorities. Business has no room for people considerations. They are so wrong!

Offline AMU

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2003, 12:00 »
'83-'85, DNI/CE, was fun to work there at that time.  The Keys were fun.

jackmehoff

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2003, 11:23 »
I've been told that with FPL's acquisition of Seabrook, 190 folks at that plant are to be down-sized. (From the numbers I've heard, that's about 20%).

The managers that started this have taken their millions and left FPL, but the slash and burn mentality continues.

I wonder what would happen if the employees (both rank and file and management) staged a general strike?  That won't happen though, since you can't get any two nukes to agree that poop stinks.

A small bit of solace to the affected employees.  There are company's in this industry that appreciate the work that you do and that care about the workers.  

Neubium

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2003, 04:58 »
Sad day for those who meet the Grim Reaper.

"Come with me please"

LoneWolf

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2003, 08:54 »
(n)You are not the only one who shares this opinion. They are having trouble staffing for the upcoming outage. There are quite a few locals that enjoy the Turkey/PSL combo but they are less and less. Returnee rate way down!

philpatton

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2003, 08:18 »
I worked on the Y2K program and had great cooperation from the in-house folks.  Wouldn’t mind going back.
FP&L has the best food  service of any of the many sites I’ve been at.

LMDeane

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2003, 07:31 »
Started pulling vacation relief and processing waste water there as a temp.  2 years & 10 return assignments later, TP remains my UTMOST FAVORITE workplace on the planet!  Only wish I could get back there.

Regardless of how hot, humid, tedious or frustrating the workday might have been, I never minded the long & often delayed return drive to the bunkhouse, because I knew that a sunset dinner, frozen cocktails and diverse conversation awaited me on the water in Key Largo.  What a difference getting off of the mainland made!  And as if that weren't enough, the weekends were beyond compare with an abundance of sun, surf, sand and sights that simply staggered the imagination.;D  And to think that I once thought Mardi Gras on Burbon Street was top drawer!

Kudos to Jim, Mel & all the Chemistry gang for all the return invites and stellar times they made possible. 8)

hambone

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2003, 11:02 »
I haven't been to turkey in over 20 years, from the sound of things it was a good call!

snowbound12566

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2003, 10:46 »
Rumor is that a couple of new licensed operators were fired for making a human performance errors.
Can anyone confirm or disspell??

Heard that the operators are scared.

supernuker030

« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2003, 11:51 »
THE TURKEY OUTAGE MARCH 1ST IS ONLY 13 DAYS :o YES WITH A FULL TURBINE INSPECTION PERFORMED BY WESTINGHOUSE ;D WHICH IS GOOD SINCE THEY HAVENT BEEN HERE IN A DECADE , THEYLL FIT RIGHT IN  :P. SO WE'LL SEE LUCIE IS NEXT 26 DAYS I THINK THE BACK TO TURKEY FOR A 11 DAYER IN SEPT  ::)

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2003, 04:03 »

Bummer!  I loved that place, it is still the best place I have worked, then again, it was '90 and '91.  I lived in the keys and loved it that I could take 20 steps out my door at be standing in the water!  Paradise!  T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops were acceptable - ANYWHERE! (Yes, even the Quay for lunch!)
Someday I play on going back, maybe just for the fun factor!  Work is work when you are there, you just got to make the best of it when you are off!  (P.S. I had the best supervisor to work for, she is the best I have worked for so far - Thanks Julie, you're great!)
;D

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2003, 04:05 »
By the way, Kimbro, it still looks good and will ALWAYS look good on you!   ;)

LoneWolf

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2003, 06:27 »
Rumor is that a couple of new licensed operators were fired for making a human performance errors.
Can anyone confirm or disspell??

Heard that the operators are scared.[/quote

Yes, rumor confirmed! Do not know details. 2 operators hammered!

LoneWolf

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2003, 06:30 »
:)Any of you confirmed to go to PTN for upcoming outage. Going to be very short. I hear PTN is actually buying nozzle dams.....Should be interesting.

scarface2001

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2003, 06:34 »
why would management fire two licensed operators for making a human performance error? I had heard that they were having a hard time staffing up for operations. They were really scraping the bottom of the barrell when they recently took back an ex operator that tried to sue FPL.(unsuccessful)This can't be true, somebody please clarify. ???  

scarface2001

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2003, 06:43 »
I recently read an article which stated that Turkey Point was one of the plants to avoid. I heard that the management there are backstabbers and so is the Union Leadership. A couple of operators got fired and the union did nothing for them. What gives. :'(  

oldtimer

« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2003, 06:53 »
I agree Mike, work at the point was fun in the early 80s for the house people also. Palm Drive International Speedway & beer on the corner, good fishing back in the canals, great partys at the Red Barn. Good memories are to be cherished, hang on to them, they are few and far between in this business now.  :)

DainJer

« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2003, 05:12 »
Ladies and Gents this isnt passworded and its for site info only...use IM or start a thread elsewhere...thank you

sofladogo

« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2003, 06:27 »
Yes, site management continues to shoot itself in the foot. But the good thing is they don't recognize that they even have feet.  :o What are 3 licensed Operators, when TP is in paradise, just train some more. Everyone wants to come here, don't they?  ;) At least FPL has stopped the bleeding, who from TP wants to go to Lucie?

diliigaf

« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2003, 06:31 »

Mike,
I understand the reason why you are bothered by what you read,but what some people listen to and want to believe without first hand knowledge is meaningless...They are going by nothing more than hear say,which is they're loss...(like the old saying goes,believe half of what you see and none of what you hear...)
 I as well like to reflect on the good(old) memories,and refuse to let other peoples opinions affect those memories.I miss you old friend,drop me a line sometime....Peace!!!

LoneWolf

« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2003, 06:13 »
Cant say much about the operators because I just dont know the story. I would not want to push incorrect information. I did hear that some operations personnel were disciplined severely for something or other.  :-[ The site Vice President at PTN has passed away. He was not very old. Live life to the fullest because you just dont know when your time is up.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?