Turkey Point

Above Average
10 (12.2%)
Average
23 (28%)
Below Average
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Turkey Point  (Read 225891 times)

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
Re: Turkey Point
« Reply #100 on: Nov 09, 2006, 08:53 »
My understanding is that the people that worked the PTN outage were not allowed to work the outage at my plant. I do know that none of them are here.....

FP&L employees are having to put up with a lot right now, but the travelling outage workers are the ones struggling to feed their families until the fall....

Anyone that was in the can during the outage had to take the MMPI again and then talk to a psychologist afterwood.  Then we had a one on one interview with the FBI.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #101 on: Nov 24, 2006, 02:36 »
I heard Turkey Point had a role in CSI Miami this week. Glad they didn't educate us on specifics on what could have been done with that truckload of explosives. Good thing Horatio had that magic bullet that detonates an entire truck.

I cringe whenever a Nuke plant is on a TV show. The opportunities for mis-educating the public in one TV show could set public relationtions back years.

If you really want to read about it:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/11/21/csi-miami-going-going-gone/
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006, 02:37 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #102 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:21 »
I am happy to see FP&L posting vacancies on Nukeworker. Finally! Glad to see they are ready to hire the best available talent.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

LaFeet

« Reply #103 on: Apr 14, 2007, 06:29 »
Put me in coach... I'm ready to play (for pay)

go-lsu-fan

« Reply #104 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:21 »
Asking once again about places to stay at Turkey Point the ones here are not available, Anyone have any suggestions please let me know. Maybe this isnt to bad of a plant, this will be my first time down that way............Thanks

surf50

« Reply #105 on: Jul 23, 2007, 05:36 »
My suggestion: if you have any contacts in plant, call and find out what's on the bulletin boards in the Admin bldg. Usually the locals rent out rooms, since temp housing can be an issue here.. even if you rent a room in a local motel for a week, ask around when you get in plant. Try not to stay in Florida City longer than you have to. The plant's fine to work at, it's outside that kinda puts people off...... good luck..

RADBASTARD

« Reply #106 on: Jul 23, 2007, 07:46 »
Turkey was ok to work at I had a nice time there.
I didn' t like going to the metal building to dress out,then walk outside to get to the aux building dressed out,to get in the CAN. If it rained then it really sucked.
It takes about 20-30mins to go from the trailer-dress out-to the can.

Do not stay in Homested unless you are partial to SODOMY and CAR THEFT.

though outside the plant  6 miles ,there is venetia gardens 1 & 2 they were nice and pretty safe to stay at if you can find a condo in there.

good luck
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007, 07:51 by RadBastard »

go-lsu-fan

« Reply #107 on: Aug 07, 2007, 08:31 »
Wow just got from Turkey Point just as fast as I got to the place. Be warned this whole town as a whole was a dump, talk about over priced and full of what ever it is you call those people. I found a place only after searching and going to different places for like 3 hours or so. The place I found brand new 3 bedrooms/kingsize beds/3 baths, man nice until Monday after getting back from the crap hole they call a nuclear plant. My neighbor knocks on my door in a panic telling me her house was robbed and only to found out 2 others as well and upon checking my back door it appears that I was next in line until someone came home and they ran I suppose. Yep 9 hours and 30 to get to T.P. (Homestead) and 8 to get back. And to top it off I was hiring in as FPL temp employee and was told that my time to get paid would start after I got cleared (WHAT A JOKE). So like I said 8 hours later and 500 bucks down I am back home and safe.  ;D Dennis

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #108 on: Aug 07, 2007, 09:04 »
after all i've heard from friends I trust who have been there, turkey is a plant i will TRY to avoid.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #109 on: Aug 29, 2007, 09:08 »
bump

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Sep 14, 2007, 02:36 »
So if you combine my post with Troja's, you see it is a choice: death or taxes (tolls)  ;D

The Keys are beautiful. If you are considering living there, rent a place for a month to see if you can stand the commute first.

jhv

« Reply #111 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:53 »
I may have a perm. job at Turkey Point, having never been there what are the pros and cons from the people who have been there?

Fermi2

« Reply #112 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:57 »
DO I HAVE TO SAY IT?????

Turkey Point MAY be the most talked about plant here. Granted virtually all the posts are under the misleading header of Turkey Point but you should be able to find them.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #113 on: Sep 17, 2007, 10:32 »
Tell your spouse you want to spend a week there for vacation. Then write a book.

Offline johnndor

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #114 on: Sep 19, 2007, 02:21 »
Does anybody know what ever happened with the "hole" investigation?

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #115 on: Sep 20, 2007, 05:41 »
There's always a perminent position available at Turkey Point!

Pro's of Turkey Point:  Ah......................Hum.. ....................I'm Thinking..................... ..... :-\

It's only 402 mile to the Georgia Border!

That's about it, RG!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #116 on: Nov 13, 2007, 02:17 »
Case closed; no charges for 1/8" hole drilled during 2006 outage. Officially declared vandalism, not sabotage.

A tiny hole in a pipe at a nuclear power plant led to a big investigation over sabotage fears, but authorities have closed the case as an unsolved act of vandalism, the FBI said Monday.

"No one is being charged unless more evidence becomes available," FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela said.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gbXVmenZmhmtMdPufH-YNV5ZYAAwD8SSCN102

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #117 on: Nov 13, 2007, 04:41 »
Maybe FPL should issue an appologie to everyone who's life/career they've disrupted? After all the BS people had to endure....Bastards.
Call Before You Dig!

alphadude

« Reply #118 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:28 »
welcome to nuclear .....  why do u think they call it NUCLEAR?

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #119 on: Nov 13, 2007, 08:05 »
saupere,

Sounds like things haven't changed much over the last 16 years!  No gun fire, gang wars in the parking lot, your car was still there in the morning?  Maybe it did change!   :-\

Fueldryer, WTF (Way to Funny),  when the new logo changed, about 1990, FP&L translated to "#*cking People & Loving It"!

Couldn't help myself, RG!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #120 on: Nov 14, 2007, 08:39 »
Maybe FPL should issue an appologie to everyone who's life/career they've disrupted? After all the BS people had to endure....Bastards.

I am not trying to make excuses for anyone (or any company) but FPL didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. Once the NRC got involved (they had to) and brought in the FBI (also no choice) it was out of FPL's hands what hoops people had to jump through to get their clearances back. I got lucky and worked my next outage at St. Lucie. My 'problems' were limited to one week and some pain-in-the-butt paperwork and everything was back to normal with no additional problems. I understand that others were less fortunate, but blame the feds if you have to blame somebody. Better yet, blame the idiot that drilled the hole. Vandalism or sabotage (I am not sure why it matters) it was the act that caused the trouble, not the utility.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #121 on: Nov 14, 2007, 12:55 »
Vandalism or sabotage (I am not sure why it matters)

Vandalism: some idiot with a 1/8" diameter drill bit and an atttitude drilled through the PZR surge line in an attempt to cost the utility $$$ (and perhaps extend their own employment with the outage).
Sabotage: some informed person with intimate knowledge of the plant found a way to drill an undetected 1/8" hole in a manner that would lead to core meltdown and the end of the Nuclear Rennaissance (before it gets started on other than paper).

We would be back to 9/12/2002 security levels (or higher) throughout nuclear if it was sabotage.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: Nov 14, 2007, 02:47 »
Vandalism: some idiot with a 1/8" diameter drill bit and an atttitude drilled through the PZR surge line in an attempt to cost the utility $$$ (and perhaps extend their own employment with the outage).
Sabotage: some informed person with intimate knowledge of the plant found a way to drill an undetected 1/8" hole in a manner that would lead to core meltdown and the end of the Nuclear Rennaissance (before it gets started on other than paper).

We would be back to 9/12/2002 security levels (or higher) throughout nuclear if it was sabotage.

I didn't say I was confused over the definitions, I said I was not sure why it mattered what they called it. Someone caused damage to the plant and that warranted investigation. It was obvious that the damage was not going to cause a nuclear disaster and that the purpose was to  extend the outage and cost the utility money.  An informed person with intimate knowledge of the plant would know that an eighth inch hole drilled anywhere would not lead to a meltdown (at least without being detected and stopped before becoming a problem) so why would it take so long to make that determination?

In the original sabotage, a disgruntled dutch worker threw their wooden shoe (sabot) into the machinery of the factory in order to damage the factory and cost the factory owner money. I fail to see the difference here.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #123 on: Nov 14, 2007, 06:17 »

I was an operator at Turkey Point at that time. I was even in the Pzr cubicle during that outage. We had to talk to the FBI, retake the MMPI and talk to a psycologiest. I didn’t think it was very disrupting considering what could have possibly happened had we not found that hole. Plus it was all on the clock...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: Nov 14, 2007, 06:52 »
I was an operator at Turkey Point at that time. I was even in the Pzr cubicle during that outage. We had to talk to the FBI, retake the MMPI and talk to a psycologiest. I didn’t think it was very disrupting considering what could have possibly happened had we not found that hole. Plus it was all on the clock...

I was the refueling floor tech on nights when it happened and I agree... it could have been much worse, even though I left site before it was discovered. Talked to the FBI and the shrink before they let me into St. Lucie.

FBI: You work in containment during the outage?
Me: Yes. Every night.
FBI: You go in the Pressurizer housing?
FBI: You ever in there alone?
FBI: You ever work with power tools in your job?
Me: Hell no. I am an HP. They don't let me play with anything electrical or anything sharp.
FBI agents both laugh.

That was about it. A few 'you know anybody that would want to do this?' type questions. The shrink was late for his plane out of town so that conversation went really smoothly. A little extra paperwork and I am back in the plant (well, St. Lucie.) No problems since.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?