Turkey Point

Above Average
10 (12.2%)
Average
23 (28%)
Below Average
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Turkey Point  (Read 225903 times)

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
Re: Turkey Point
« Reply #125 on: Nov 14, 2007, 07:59 »
I was an operator at Turkey Point at that time. I was even in the Pzr cubicle during that outage. We had to talk to the FBI, retake the MMPI and talk to a psycologiest. I didn’t think it was very disrupting considering what could have possibly happened had we not found that hole. Plus it was all on the clock...
Well, I'm glad it was that easy for you..
Call Before You Dig!

jturek

« Reply #126 on: Dec 05, 2007, 04:35 »
I am a former electrical/shutdown reactor operator from the Silversides and would like to get into Turkey Point.  I realize a long time has went by but willing to make it work.  Application and resume have been submitted.  Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks,  J.T.

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #127 on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:40 »
I worked there from July 2004 til Jan 2007 as a non-licensed operator. What did you apply for? NLO or SRO position? I don't know if you know but SRO in the commerical world is Senior Reactor Operator. If you applied as an NLO you will have to take the POSS. It is an ASVAB sort of test. Once you pass that they will do your interview. When I applied they also took all the interviewees out to dinner.

jturek

« Reply #128 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:12 »
I am not familiar with the non licensed operator term.  SRO to me meant Shutdown reactor operator in the military.  Did you have an expediter or a contact because I am winging it without neither.  I haven't had even an acknowledgment other than a e-reciept for the original application which was rudimentary.  It would be nice to have a name and a phone number to see if I have a chance.
Thanks for your reply.

J.T.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #129 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:29 »
just saw on msnbc the turkey point had a dual unit trip. Anyone got any info

StevenPeck

« Reply #130 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:40 »
I don't work at the plant; so, take this with a grain.

Yesterday, one of the buildings was photographed with dark smoke pouring out.  There were not any press releases on that count, but this morning there was only normal operations.

(According to MSNBC) A few hours ago, three nonNukes went offline with the Turkey Point Station.  There have yet to be any major releases of information from corporates or Homeland Security. 

Seems power is coming back up right now.  Remember what I said about the grain of salt?

I am sure one of the regulars will update us as soon as the corporates allow dispersals.
=====================
update_1

"CNN reported that eight power plants in South Florida in the Miami area were out of service."  http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSN2635797520080226

"NEW YORK, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Both 693-megawatt units of FPL Group Inc's (FPL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Turkey Point power plant in Florida shut [down] due to the loss of off-site power, a spokeswoman for the plant said Tuesday." 
http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKN2635797520080226

This seems to be a major grid problem, not a nuke problem.  The sited shutdown was a safety measure. 
=====================
update_2

The failure was caused by defective equipment in a (west) Miami-Dade substation.  This last bit of information was reported by MSNBC without reference.

All power should be restored by 17:30 EST (MSNBC).

I am still not sure what the smoke was from at Turkey Point yesterday; seems inconsequential now.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008, 04:17 by StevenPeck »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #131 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:33 »
That's just typical of the media. On msnbc they report of a major blackout in South Florida and they concentrate on both nuke units at Turkey Point shutting down.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #132 on: Feb 27, 2008, 12:41 »
There was an equipment failure at a substation located away from the plant, causing a loss of off-site power. Both units tripped as designed. The smoke was apparently caused by a hard fault to ground at Unit 5 which is a combined-cycle gas plant at the same site as the 2 nuclear units (and two other gas units). Turkey point was NOT the cause of the problem, it was a victim.

Both of the units are still down.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2008, 06:44 »
Wow, TP seems like a car wreck.  Has anyone got experience with the engineering side of things at FPL/TP?  They contacted me to PM the pwr uprate on the stm turbine FPL is planning in Fall 2010.  I rejected a very generous (contract) offer but they went all in with a better offer.  I can do car wrecks for the right price, I guess.  Can't say I didn't know what was coming.
Time to get my pastel jackets and torquois t-shirts out with my raybands.  I bet I can find my boat docks around somewhere.
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2008, 04:05 »
Loffy Muffin,

Can't say I didn't know what was coming.

In respect to the area..................Wanna Bet?

RG.................. :-X

stownsend

« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2008, 08:51 »
I remember someone at the plant told me they have a gun in their car's glove box,one in the trunk,one ankle holstered, one in the kitchen,one by their bed and one in a plastic bag in the shower.
Never leave home without one.Fond memories.

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2008, 08:56 »
I remember someone at the plant told me they have a gun in their car's glove box,one in the trunk,one ankle holstered, one in the kitchen,one by their bed and one in a plastic bag in the shower.
Never leave home without one.Fond memories.
I was an operator from 2004 - 2006 and most of the people coming to work had guns in their cars.

I could handle the plant but the area just sucked too much. If your wife is not happy then you are not happy. PLus add on the cost of housing!

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2008, 12:59 »
There is an old saying on wall street regarding people in their quest for wealth:
"People rarely get what the want, but always get what they deserve."

Probably applicable to endeavors other then stock selection and investments. 

the power up rate is actually 2009 fall outage, 18 months away.
Lock and load. 
To hold us back

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #138 on: Jun 19, 2008, 02:14 »
A rumor was circulating the other day that TP is offering 250K salaries for SROs because they are hurting for operators. Is there any truth to this rumor?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: Jun 19, 2008, 03:11 »
A rumor was circulating the other day that TP is offering 250K salaries for SROs because they are hurting for operators. Is there any truth to this rumor?

Can't verify the amount of money, but the need for SROs is true. There are two initial licensing classes going on as I speak (one up stairs and one down the hall.) If I was a gambling man (I am) I would bet on there being another one as soon as one of these graduates.

FPL does pay premiums for people to work here becasue of the cost of the area and attrition rate... depending on your field, the premium can be pretty good... but there is a reason for that.

Disclaimer:

I work for FPL as a Temp which basically means I am a contractor working directly for the company. I like working here but have not relocated here. I am renting (own a house somewhere else) so I am not responsible for local insurance, community association fees, or property taxes. Obviously I fell well enough compensated to stay... at least temporarily. If I am offered a more permanent arrangement there will be a lot of negotiating going on.

End of Disclaimer

The cost of living here is high partially because insurance (home and car) is outrageous and you need hurricaine insurance as well, and property taxes are through the roof. That being said there are literally thousands of houses for sale here and you have a good chance of finding a 'highly motivated' seller. Some houses have been for sale for longer than 18 months. There are many stories of people offering almost stupid lowball offers and having them accepted. There are loads of foreclosures. Builders have lowered the cost of new houses to very low levels (like small condos in gated communities for under 100K) in some cases. So, if you want to work here there are bargains to be had. Many of the communities are gated and very safe. Of course the implication of that is that some are neither. Within an hour drive are two large metropolitan areas (Miami and Fort Lauderdale) with anything you could ask for. Thirty minutes south are the Florida Keys which are less awesome than 30 years ago, but still qualify as a bit of paradise if you like that kind of stuff.

In other words, there are a lot of good and bad points. You have to decide how the scales tip for you.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #140 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:52 »
If anyone has any Turkey Point HR/OPS contacts, please PM Me with them.

Thanks,

J

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
« Reply #141 on: Jun 20, 2008, 05:26 »
TP is alright for single guys...I would not want to take a family down here unless I had to. 
To hold us back

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #142 on: Jun 22, 2008, 09:59 »
Roger,

You paint such a pretty picture of TP.  If I were a young guy like you I would probably be moving into one of those bargain condos.  (Cutler Ridge or Homestead).  On the serious side have a great summer and watch your back.

Old HP

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: Jun 23, 2008, 11:40 »
Roger,

You paint such a pretty picture of TP.  If I were a young guy like you I would probably be moving into one of those bargain condos.  (Cutler Ridge or Homestead).  On the serious side have a great summer and watch your back.

Old HP

I certainly wasn't trying to paint a pretty picture. There is indeed a lot of crime and as Loffy Muffin pointed out here I would not want to raise kids here unless I had plans on living at the edge of aceptable commuting distance or could send them to private schools (and even then I would have serious doubts.) But for someone without young children, it isn't too bad. Like everywhere else, it isn't as bad as some say or as good as others say.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

mjtaylor07

« Reply #144 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:58 »
I also heard the rumor about high salaries at TP ($180k during qualification) but not sure about the accuracy.  Would it be reasonable to commute from Coral Gables?

surf50

« Reply #145 on: Jun 24, 2008, 10:14 »
When I lived there it was about a 50 min ride to the plant, on Old Cutler Road, on a reverse commute..I can't imagine the traffic's gotten any better. That road's packed bumper to bumper heading into Miami in the AM, back South in the PM. But it's doable if you can afford the Gables.

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
« Reply #146 on: Jun 24, 2008, 10:36 »
turkey point at 180K is about on par with say, tva Bferry at 100-120k.   but, you'll have more options in TP.  You are on the downward slope of a massive housing bust here in Sfla.  Sobe condos are going for 25 cents on the dollar. 

coral gables?  You like living large.  well, paying large.  living average.  count on 5-6K/month for an ok house.

plenty to rent in the "ok" range of 1200-2000 in redlands/homestead.

Southbeach has oceanfront condos, large and new, 3000. 

I drove from south beach monday in 1 hour.  coral will be about 40-50 minutes in my estimation.

I don't know what they pay down here for operators, but the plant is barely hanging on.  Maintenance is in total reaction mode and ops is in three section I think (normal is 5, maybe).  I haven't sat in on the maintenance meetings, but my boss has.  this is second hand info.
To hold us back

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #147 on: Jun 25, 2008, 07:36 »
Well there must be some truth to the rumors considering how many of us on this board have heard them, just that the exact number isn't confirmed as I have heard from two independent sources that it was 300K. Now, one source said that was for SMs the other said SRO. Regardless of how much and for whom, I think we can safely assume that they are indeed throwing some money around. :)

Jutin
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2008, 07:37 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
« Reply #148 on: Jun 25, 2008, 08:59 »
They are not throwing money around, they are just trying to catch up to the market rate premium needed.  I would take a 50K cut to work at JunoBeach and told FPL I would rather take JB at 50K less.  They offered TP.  This place is barely hanging on.  3 shifts?  They should have been "throwing money around" 3-4 years ago to avoid the hard spot they are in now.  This is the freakin everglades, man.  Flat, hot, swamp.  Expensive swamp land at the that.  Great for reptiles.

Maybe TP is just the first plant to experience a massive shortage of personal.  I hear Oconee has 80% of the workforce over 50 with 20-30 years, all ready to retire.  Not everyone is going to want to live in jerkwater SC, regardless on how pretty it is.  Most plants have been giving the old "hometown discount" to the workforce knowing too well they have too much vested to quit.  They have this regional flavor that might not neccessarily attact people that don't have community ties. 

But, If I was some 24YO swab from the USS rustbucket I would not turn my nose up at an opportunity at TP.  There are worst places for single guys. 
To hold us back

surf50

« Reply #149 on: Jun 26, 2008, 02:01 »
Turkey Point's been "barely hanging on" for at least the last 5 years. I remember a town hall meeting with the plant manager, when the rank and file asked about the aging work force, attrition rate, and the possiblity of a "bonus" for staying around. The man said, "If you don't like it here, quit. We'll find someone else."
Of course the plant manager's since moved on up. A lot of chickens are coming home to roost.
Yet the plant limps on due to the Herculean efforts of some good people.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?