Turkey Point

Above Average
10 (12.2%)
Average
23 (28%)
Below Average
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Turkey Point  (Read 226225 times)

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
Re: Turkey Point
« Reply #150 on: Jul 09, 2008, 12:15 »
Update on the TP project:  Scheduled to be a 5 year project with removal of most of the secondary system including moisture separators, FW heaters, valves, FW pump upgrades, new Flow path for Turb, generator rewind.  This will be the most comprehensive modification for any plant in the US (per FPL) and will be more difficult than a new contruction. 

Should be plenty of opportunities down here for long term work.  the project is staffed about 25% and should have 130 people or more at 100% staffing.  Schedulers, planners, construction, proj eng, PM, etc openings.  Work week is 4-10's, OT up to 45hrs is optional.  Trip outta here once a week.  I think they are pretty generous with the mullah, I should gross $1.5-2M over 5 years.  The other Project Managers might be pulling more then I am, so I might be on the low end of the scale.  The trip home every month is sweet.  Can go anywhere.  I'm heading to chicago next month and plan on ski trips over winter. 

If the nuke build in this country goes as planned and this project is a success; anyone associated with this highly complex project will be in the kill zone for mullah after the projects completion.  the new builds should be just hitting stride and the people on this project will be seasoned veterans in a field sparely populated with proven professional with recent experience.  The ol supply and demand chart looks like $$$$$$ for people rolling off this project in 2012. 
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #151 on: Jul 10, 2008, 12:38 »
Update on the TP project:  Scheduled to be a 5 year project with removal of most of the secondary system including moisture separators, FW heaters, valves, FW pump upgrades, new Flow path for Turb, generator rewind.  This will be the most comprehensive modification for any plant in the US (per FPL) and will be more difficult than a new contruction.

Sounds like a lot of work, but with it all being BOP-side items, why is it believed to be more difficult than a new construction?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #152 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:47 »
Sounds like a lot of work, but with it all being BOP-side items, why is it believed to be more difficult than a new construction?

Because you aren't trying to maintain the unit online for a new construction. They are not shutting down for the 5 year project.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #153 on: Jul 12, 2008, 10:49 »
The moisture seps are buried under the turbine with the condenser on side, the Rx Cont on the other, and 100 yards of piping at the ends, and swamp land underneath.  The replacement has  to occur in a 55 day window.  I think we will model the BOP in 3D space and simulate the removals so that risk can be appropriately addressed.  Plus, you have miles of cabling on all side that will need to be removed. 

This issue here is risk modeling.  Many unk-unks.  We have 3-4 years to come up contingencies, triggers, responses, and reserves to try to address the risks.  This will be good case study for risk management. 

A new build is just putting components together.  Toshiba uses mods, pre-assemblies that you put together as units.  Hasn't been done here in the US-A, but overseas they are putting them up in 3-4 years per toshiba.  They are assembled in controlled areas and shipped and assembled on site
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

halfprice5

« Reply #154 on: Aug 23, 2008, 01:36 »
I am a new member of this forum.

I started a PTP in April of 73 and was there for U-4 startup. Had the pleasure of working for some of the most brilliant people around. Bill Waylett, Manny Gonzales, Jim Hardy, John Velotta, and the list goes on.

I went to purchasing in 80, one of my best projects was participating in the CAE simulator project.

Some of my best memories, and night mares were formed at PTP.

Beam

« Reply #155 on: Aug 27, 2008, 05:43 »
As of Oct 1 I'll be an ex navy nuke. I applied through the FPL website with interest in going to TP back in July, and haven't heard anything. Are they looking for people right now? Is there a better way to submit my resume than the FPL website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #156 on: Aug 27, 2008, 07:15 »
 8)  Beam, what position are you  applying for??
Di

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #157 on: Oct 01, 2008, 09:12 »
What are the bonuses/salary like for TP for SRO position?  What is the cost of living in a generally decent neighborhood.  I always hear rumors.. but never anything firm about pay/salary and they area.

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #158 on: Oct 08, 2008, 08:59 »
Found this on nucpros website

Here's the straight & skinny from a member.
Feedback on the posting for the glamor spot...

The FPL figures for SROs is a tad off.  Here's the straight & skinny:

$50K sign-on bonus to be hired as a SRO candidate
$50K after you get your SRO (18 months of schooling)
$50 after holding your SRO 6 months (24 months into it)
$50K two years after licensing date (48 months into it)
$40K mortgage assistance over 4 years getting $10K/year (effective from day 1)
All living expenses for your first year here (mortgage, utilities, etc.)
Moving expenses (valued at $12.5K)
Wages for SRO range from $110K to $135K per year (Unit supervisor to Shift Manager)

Totals for year:
1- $182.5K
2- $230K
3- $230K
4- $170K
5- $160K
(Note: no overtime considered but there's all you could ask for and alot your forced for.)

money2520

« Reply #159 on: Oct 23, 2008, 10:04 »
I also am trying to get info about applying to turkey point.  There are a lot of rumors out there that they are in need of personnel, but I never find anything on their website.  I am ex-navy nuke ET1.  If anyone has any info, please post.

Thanks
Shawn

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #160 on: Oct 24, 2008, 10:49 »
What are the bonuses/salary like for TP for SRO position?  What is the cost of living in a generally decent neighborhood.  I always hear rumors.. but never anything firm about pay/salary and they area.

Decent neighborhoods? Don't think you'll find them down there.

ISFSI

« Reply #161 on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:56 »
Where do I sign?

8)

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #162 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:40 »
I'm kind of in the same boat as one of the above posts: I keep hearing about all these shortages and openings, but dozens of searches and web site crawling have turned up precious little in the way of job postings. Is there some kind of secret code or key word/phrase? How do these plants hire? I'm a former Navy Nuke, 20 years out of the biz. Maybe you have to know the right people to get the dope on the plants that are hiring?

Lowell

« Reply #163 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:31 »
dagiffy,

What do you want to do, job-wise, in the Civilian Nuke industry?
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2008, 12:33 by Lowell »

davesally

Interview for NLO at turkey point
« Reply #164 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:33 »
 Hi everyone just passed the poss test and have an interview next week at TP for FPL. How long is the training and the pay while in class. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Fermi2

Re: Interview for NLO at turkey point
« Reply #165 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:01 »
Excellent questions to ask at the interview eh?

Mike

NukeNub

« Reply #166 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:02 »
Just reading the job posting on FPL.com you will work 7-3:30PM during training and then rotating 8 hour shifts upon completion of training.

I am going to take a stab in the dark and guess between 21-25.00/hr to start.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #167 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:14 »
 8) davesally best of luck to you and hope you ask all these questions you are asking from us during that interview!!keep us posted!! Congrats  on POSS test as well good luck!!see ya around the campus!! ;D

M1Ark

« Reply #168 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:52 »
Just reading the job posting on FPL.com you will work 7-3:30PM during training and then rotating 8 hour shifts upon completion of training.

I am going to take a stab in the dark and guess between 21-25.00/hr to start.

~ $34/hr once fully qualified.  Not sure what the starting pay is.

davesally

« Reply #169 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:13 »
Thanks to everyone for your help. I will start writing down all the questions to ask at the interview....dave

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #170 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:50 »
Personally, I wouldn't ask about pay at the interview.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #171 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:55 »
I did during every interview I've ever had in this industry and I've yet to not be offered a job. Why not ask about pay? It's part of making the decision.

work thru lunch

« Reply #172 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:22 »
Did they get the outage staffed?

BoilerHP

« Reply #173 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:30 »
Congrats on passing the POSS! I unfortunately do not have enough information/experience to answer your question... but I would recommend taking an offer if given one. You could easily bump up to an RO or even SRO in 2 years (depending on company and licensing class schedule).

Best of Luck!

davesally

Interviews at Turkey Point
« Reply #174 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:31 »

Does anyone have any information on when they will be conducting interviews for NLO positions. Passes the POSS test a month back and applied 2 weeks ago but still nothing. Thanks in advance.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?