Sequoyah

Above Average
25 (51%)
Average
14 (28.6%)
Below Average
10 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Sequoyah  (Read 145639 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Sequoyah
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:32 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Sequoyah Contracts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2002, 05:42 »
Please reply to this topic if you have (or know who has) a contract at this facility.  If you (they) have multiple contracts (i.e. QC & NDE) please mention all of them.  Also, please remember to post company contact information, including but not limited to company phone number, email and web site address.  Also, if there is a specific person at the company people should ask for, you should mention their name and extension. We maintain a chart of contracts, the information posted here will be added to the contract chart.

This includes any information on Local Unions!
Chart: http://www.nukeworker.com/jobs/contract_lists/

philpatton

Re: Talk About: Sequoyah
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2003, 08:24 »
Worked a Vendor Manual Program with them back in ’94.  Nice area, good people.  Enjoy a bar called Hawkeys, they had a great in-house singer and the beer was cold.

DABIGUNC

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2003, 08:19 »
so did Numanco ever staff the SGRP without giving more money to the techs?

oldtimer

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2003, 08:01 »
I don't know how many are here, but it has rained 10 of the last 14 days.Good weather for ducks.

ageoldtech

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2003, 02:40 »
From what I gather they are 14 techs short, with 2 more staffing dates to come.  ???

DABIGUNC

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2003, 07:18 »
So when does the Outage start?

ageoldtech

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2003, 09:08 »
The outage starts on march 16th

DABIGUNC

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2003, 11:55 »
Thanks!

bluejay

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2003, 12:55 »
Actually we are 12 Sr H.P's short.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2003, 01:10 »
maybe because the pay sux and they can make more with per diem on 72's

DABIGUNC

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2003, 02:37 »
"Actually we are 12 Sr H.P's short."

Just couldn't resist to come see for yourself, but it's nice to get the official count, maybe we can make it 11, lol!

WonderUnder

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2003, 02:52 »
And where are you working Radbastard?

moke

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2003, 05:22 »
Worked at Sequoyah (Soddy Daisy!) in 1983 and met some good folks at the plant and throughout the community.

I learned to listen to Country music and grew into ALABAMA (Fort Payne, AL) and Ronnie Milsap. Whew! And: Grandma got run over by a Reindeer.

Cat Head biscuits and grits laced with a sunnyside up egg w/salt & pepper. Po Folks restaurant. Lookout Mountain and Rock City too! What? Chattanooga Choo-choo! UTC had a hoop team too.

Sequatchie Valley in the fall? Lakeshore resort on Lake Chickamauga. Eh Fegetaboutit!

To the many of you, thanks for a great time! Larry Addis, Steve Moon, Miss Elly, Daphne, Jane, Jamie, James Smith, Jambo, Barry Childs, Tom Lewis, Randy Whiting, Doug, Vicki, William Smith, Jason, Mike Campasino, Julie, Debbie, Mark, Karen, etc......

It was a challenging ride to work with ice on the ground. ::)

Ice condensor plant and one similar to DC Cook and Cawtaba. The arctic parkas were a must yet they were comfortable when used as a cushion! ;D

Aloha,

Moke

RADBASTARD

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2003, 06:07 »
wonderunder it's not at sequoyah.
we all got raise's how about you??????????????/

DABIGUNC

« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2003, 09:19 »
The beauty of being a meter swinning, no check-no tech with a rebel locked up inside....we choose were we want to be.

To each their own!

ageoldtech

« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2003, 09:33 »
Radbastard, It looks like Sequoyah might be a few "dozen" techs short. Money talks!!!

RADBASTARD

« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2003, 10:26 »
Ageoldtech -money talks but it sounds like your techs might walk?
12 techs sounds like it might get tight there if some drag up.

biloxi_blues

« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2003, 03:29 »
When is the last staffing date?  Ive been there I will call numanco this monday.  HOw much is the pay anyway?

ageoldtech

« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2003, 05:11 »
The pay is 29 dollars a hour for >5 year 3.1. I think the last staffing date is the 10th.

bandyung

« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2003, 10:15 »
9 tech's short now. Everyone seems to be friendly and the house really does try to schedule to your needs. Remember there is no income tax in tenn. so that makes the pay reasonable. It will be a $$$$$.$$ money outage.   :)  wcy

sauna_girl

« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2003, 11:14 »
Is it only still $29 hr???? no diem???

Somebody emailed me and said they were still 10 techs short?

Why don't they up the pay? cheap ?

Now I know why I stayed in australia working on my tan for a couple of more months.It's starting to go into our fall but it's still nice to hit the beach.Then this fall i'll have to go back to the real world.

girlnuke

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2003, 11:32 »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAMBONE!!!!      (^)   [smiley=balloon.gif]   [smiley=beerchug.gif]

sauna_girl

« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2003, 11:42 »
Hambone happy birthday.For your present I'd like to give you a nice neck message,follow by a great big smack in the back of the head with my hand. Had fun working with you in the past.Maybe i'll see you on the road when I get back from down under in our fall?
LOVE YA HATE YA MEAN IT. (^) (b) [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=ladysman.gif]

hambone

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2003, 06:15 »
Thanks one and all for the warm birthday wishes. I'm just a kid at 41. Hope everyones outage is progressing. Summer is just around the corner. Oh, and sauna girl, let me have it like I did jimmy.

TK

Re: Rate Sequoyah
« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2003, 06:39 »
Anyone know what's going on with their outage? ie: how far behind and why?

Thanks

Offline Atomic Frog

• Sr HP Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Ribit!! Ribit!!
« Reply #26 on: Jun 17, 2003, 10:41 »
8)

Sequoyah went to mode 1 and is at 21 % power as of 1230 june 17 ..
It is not MY fault that I never learned to accept responsibility.- Homer J. Simpson

I bet Einstein turned himself into all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb.- Homer J. Simpson

SD

« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2003, 04:12 »

Sequoyah was my first Nuke job after 48 years in Heavy Industrial Construction, I did not have a standard of compairson nor did I know what to expect. I was impressed with the facility and the SGRP. I'm now at PVNGS, only comment - even more walking than Sequoyah,and HOT. -SD

rlbinc

« Reply #28 on: Aug 30, 2003, 04:19 »
I read on the NRC website that Sequoyah declared an ALERT due to Reactor Protection System Automatic Scram Failure following a Turbine Trip.

Operators did manually scram the reactor within 20 seconds.

I noticed nobody has used the ATWS word yet. ('cept me)
The acronym means Anticipated Transient Without Scram. It's an accident described in Safety Analysis.

NRC has dispatched an Augmented Inspection Team.

Anybody from Sequoyah got the inside skinny?

oldtimer

« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2003, 01:49 »
8)Just finished the refueling outage, still a good place and great people to work with. Nightshift on Steam generator crew and cold beer at Debbies, don't get no better than that.

IBENNUKED

« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:32 »
Been there done that got the T-shirt, may go back but don't really care to.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Sequoyah
« Reply #31 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:35 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Sequoyah
« Reply #32 on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:14 »
Bea's Cafeteria is South of Downtown just off US 27 about 3 blocks from the Georgia line. It is an all you can eat with the entire revolving center of the table (seats 10 I believe) filled with food. They don't make them like that anymore!

Great fried chicken and pulled pork BBQ!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

oldtimer

« Reply #33 on: Oct 19, 2004, 05:44 »
Looks like Atlantic Nuclear is offering Per Diem at Sequoyal. How is that going to go over with the other techs already there?

Japetto

« Reply #34 on: Oct 20, 2004, 08:05 »
I have a feeling there will be some hate and discontent amongst the troops when there are 2 techs working side by side and one is getting 420/week tax free extra $$$.  This feels like we have just gone back 20 years when different pay for different techs doing the same job was common place.

-I hope Atlantic gets more contracts like this!!!!

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #35 on: Oct 20, 2004, 12:26 »
I have a feeling there will be some hate and discontent amongst the troops when there are 2 techs working side by side and one is getting 420/week tax free extra $$$.  This feels like we have just gone back 20 years when different pay for different techs doing the same job was common place.

-I hope Atlantic gets more contracts like this!!!!

Better double check that diem and see if it really exists

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

sunshine1

« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2004, 02:16 »
I would question that - TVA plants have not paid per diem in the past. Why would they start now with a new company, Atlantic verses the past/present one, Numanco?   ???

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:42 »
Actually they did pay per diem back in the 80's.
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

ageoldtech

« Reply #38 on: Oct 22, 2004, 07:51 »
The perdiem for Atlantic folks is not true, even though, it would be nice!

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Oct 23, 2004, 12:56 »
 :D Lies! Wow, it's like I'm married again! What a bummer!!!!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2004, 02:02 »
I haven't heard the staffing numbers, or the companies represented at the site, but if Atlantic isn't following through with their publicly posted compensation package, their done before they start!

RG
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2004, 02:03 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2004, 08:26 »
ok, Kristy.........time to fess up! The storm clouds are gathering, those who are prepared to sell their souls to you for the highest price, wandering minds want to know..........just tell us that "B" didnt just buy Atlantic out also!

Offline sefrick

• Light User
  • “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any
Sequoyah
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2004, 12:47 »
I'm new to the site and just browsing around. I'm stil active duty Navy (Nuke/Subs) with T -127 days and counting. Somebody told me that Chattanooga is a good place to live and that I would probably enjoy it there. Does anybody know much about the Sequoyah plant, besides what I can find in NRC.GOV? I've seen photo's and it looks like a pretty large facility. Thanks for any intel.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I serv

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:35 »
SQN is a dual unit 4-loop Westinghouse PWR Ice Condenser site. That puts it among the newer in the country, with Watts Bar being the sister unit just up river.

What else do you want to know?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

goaldie

« Reply #44 on: Dec 13, 2004, 12:22 »
I love working at Sequoyah. The people are great, and the atmosphere is wonderful. I can't wait to go back in the spring. Chattanooga is a nice city. It's very diverse, pretty much everything you'd want and need as far as recreational thing. Like any other city, it has it's good and bad parts, but overall I like it.
goaldie

Offline sefrick

• Light User
  • “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:36 »
Thanks Goaldie and Roll. I heard Chattanooga was a nice lil city. I guess I'm a bit curious about income as an operator and opertunities for upward mobility. I'm a 10 year Nuke MM and I'm getting out and looking for a better life. I'm assuming that is the most common reason that people leave. By the way Roll, Ice condenser?
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I serv

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2004, 04:07 »
Containment must be large / strong enough to withstand a large break LOCA  (Loss of Coolant Accident) or steam line rupture. A few plants are designed with a smaller containment building by having banks of borated ice (which will reduce the pressure in event of a piping break. The layout of the Ice Condenser plants is much smaller than other PWR's.

(Don't worry, it is still much more room than float-a-type!)

Look for general interest items under "Career Path: NRC and NavyNuke boards.

You will do fine!

oldtimer

« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2004, 11:57 »
There may be a lot of openings at TVA plants in the spring time for outage HP techs.

Fermi2

« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2005, 10:45 »
I start at Sequoyah real soon as an Instant SRO and a Shift Manager. They hiired three of us from other commercial nukes.

DAMN that area is NICE!!!!!!

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2005, 01:32 »
I start at Sequoyah real soon as an Instant SRO and a Shift Manager. They hiired three of us from other commercial nukes.

Mike

Don't forget me when you get there! I need an "inside contact"!

Fermi2

« Reply #50 on: Jan 14, 2005, 08:57 »
I certainly will, but they're damn slow about giving the official offer!

Mike

Fermi2

TWO MORE WEEKS!!!!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2005, 02:19 »
YES!!!

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2005, 03:20 »
Do you want my resume PM or e-mail??

;)

(CONGRATULATIONS!!)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Sequoyah Contracts
« Reply #53 on: Mar 15, 2005, 12:13 »
Who has contracts at Seqouyah that employs entry level people (security, firewatch, FME, etc.)?

Offline Atomic Frog

• Sr HP Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Ribit!! Ribit!!
« Reply #54 on: Mar 15, 2005, 10:14 »
For all of TVA  Sequoyah, Watts Bar, and Browns Ferry

Security :         Pinkerton Government Services

1101 Market St., EB-10 O - (423) 751-2024 
                     Chattanooga, TN  37402 F - (423) 751-6435 

Firewatch, FME, and Trades:   Stone & Webster (Shaw)

http://www.recruitingsite.com/CSBSites/shawstonewebster/Careers.asp

FROG
It is not MY fault that I never learned to accept responsibility.- Homer J. Simpson

I bet Einstein turned himself into all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb.- Homer J. Simpson

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2005, 11:25 »
FROG,
   Thanx
Marlin

ageoldtech

« Reply #56 on: Mar 22, 2005, 11:24 »
I hear through the grape vine that Sequoyah has received some bad fuel and that the spring outage may be pushed back a month or so. Anyone hear anything?

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #57 on: Mar 23, 2005, 02:45 »
Heard the same yesterday!

But no change to my staffing date as of yet.

Maybe I can do New Orleans after all 8)!

Offline Atomic Frog

• Sr HP Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Ribit!! Ribit!!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 23, 2005, 09:12 »
I talked to a Sequoyah house tech today, he said yes it is true about the bad fuel (Something about the welds on the fuel are bad).
He said the old fuel would have to be all shipped offsite and then they could receive the new fuel.
Soooo yes that will probably push the outage back some, he did not know how long it would take to swap it out.

So Dream Tarheel it looks like you will make New Orleans after all. ;D

FROG

ageoldtech

« Reply #59 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:29 »
Well It looks like some folks will be working in the summer, but most techs don't want to work in the summer, hummmmmm.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Nov 29, 2006, 12:45 »
The Outage is going nicely. It needs to stay on track, unless we want to give our families the gift of 6-12's for Christmas!

It sure is great to see some of my old friends. With BFN Unit 1 Restart wrapping up, they are back on the road.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #61 on: Mar 30, 2007, 12:34 »
Heard the rumor that Karl Singer is gone now! ;D  Also heard that the current plant manager there, Kulisek is headed to Watts Bar as the new Site VP.  Can any body validate the rumors?
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #62 on: Mar 30, 2007, 01:25 »
TVA Chief Nuclear Officer & Executive Vice President Karl Singer today announced his plans to retire from TVA.

Singer is expected to remain at TVA for the next few months assisting with the transition to a new chief nuclear officer.

Preston Swafford, Senior Vice President of Nuclear Support, will assume responsibility for nuclear operations while Singer focuses his attention on Browns Ferry Unit 1.

“I appreciate what Karl has done the past few years during this important time in the history of TVA’s nuclear program,” said TVA President & Chief Executive Officer Tom Kilgore. “I understand how demanding it is to focus on the restart of Browns Ferry Unit 1 while trying to keep five operating units running.

“We look forward to the successful restart of Unit 1 in May. We expect to name a new chief nuclear officer soon and move to the next stage of our nuclear operation,” Kilgore said.

Singer has served as chief nuclear officer since spring of 2004. Prior to that, he was senior vice president of Nuclear Operations for five years and was directly responsible for the operation of TVA’s five operating nuclear units. As chief nuclear officer, he was also responsible for the $1.8-billion restart of Unit 1 at Browns Ferry. He joined TVA in 1993 after serving in the U.S. Navy.

“This is a decision I have been contemplating over the last year,” Singer said. “The past five years of work on the restoration of Brown’s Ferry Unit 1 have been a rewarding challenge, but I believe with the restart near, this is a good time to announce my retirement.”

Swafford joined TVA Nuclear in May 2006. He was formerly senior vice president of Exelon Energy Delivery Technical Services. He joined Exelon in 1995 and worked at the Dresden Nuclear Power Station for seven years.

No confirmation yet about the plant manager. Perhaps next week (though my understanding was that Dave was retiring fairly soon).
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2007, 01:27 by Roll Tide »

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
« Reply #63 on: Jun 14, 2007, 05:35 »
If anybody is interested, Sequoyah and Watts Bar are hiring Senior Health Physics Techs.
Job description and minimum quals can be found online at www.tva.gov.  It's also posted in house too so there will be technicians transfering from Watts Bar to Sequoyah so more positions will become available at Watts Bar.  We need good people!!

billyp08

Sequoyah nuclear job offer
« Reply #64 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:04 »
I was contacted yesterday from tva hr with a conditional job offer for the upcoming nsgpo class at sequoyah nuclear. Now my question is what to expect on the physical and background check what are they looking for and how hard are these to pass. Any info would be helpfull. I am very excited about starting this career since I have been trying to land this position for over a year now.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2008, 06:47 by PWHoppe »

Fermi2

Re: sequayah nuclear job offer
« Reply #65 on: Feb 07, 2008, 09:52 »
First of all it's SEQUOYAH not Sequayah I hope you pay closer attention to detail when you start working for us.

1: The physical isn't very hard at all. Mostly it's a standard physical, vision test, color blind test, pulmonary functional test, hearing, blood and maybe an X Ray and EKG.

2: The background test is rather in depth but so long as you don't have any felonies and drug charges in your past you should pass.

Mike

billyp08

Re: Sequoyah nuclear job offer
« Reply #66 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:02 »
Sorry for the spelling errors. And thanks for the info. I have no felonies and a clean background, so that should not be a problem. As for medical exam i should pass since I dont know of any conditions that I have that would prevent me from passin it either. I am looking forward to starting with TVA, and hope that it is the company I retire from.

Fermi2

« Reply #67 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:57 »
It's definitely a good company. The staff at Sequoyah is very friendly and overall a great group of people.

Mike

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #68 on: Jun 02, 2008, 11:29 »
WOW! Almost a year and not one post out of SQN?

They must have put a muzzle on that "Limited Quanity" guy, he appeared much happier and full of relative information, before........

But 2 outages in the last 8 months, and not one thread?

Something seems amiss! 8)

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Jun 03, 2008, 03:17 »
WOW! Almost a year and not one post out of SQN?

They must have put a muzzle on that "Limited Quanity" guy, he appeared much happier and full of relative information, before........

But 2 outages in the last 8 months, and not one thread?

Something seems amiss! 8)

Wow, I didn't know ya'll cared so much.  U1C15 is a distant memory and the light is now at the end of the tunnel for U2.  Mode 3 yesterday and in on OT waiting on the NOTP walkdown in lower on double time, you can't beat it. Yeah you can, walkdown is on dayshift now, I must be living right!  U2 was cake this time, no major valve work (primary checks), only 1 night of radiography in the can, no uptakes (at lower), everbody knew what deodorant was, and S/G's went smooth but the generators are still sick and still need to be replaced 2011.   It was somber though without CJ, Deano, and Greg not being around.  You walked in to a particular control point and you just know something valuable was missing and it couldn't be replaced. 
Oh well, dry fuel casks is coming up in the fall and then on to Browns Ferry later in the fall for those think dose extentions are all the rage.

Fermi2

« Reply #70 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:49 »
You know what I hate? Seeing all the great people who are leaving and those who are about to leave soon.

I really miss Chris R. You might eventually replace his technical knowledge, but you simply cannot replace him as a person. His sense of humor and the decent way he treated those around him will be sorely missed. He and Jerry D (also retiring) pretty much trained me as an SQN SRO and I already miss my daily fights with them.

Mike

PapaBear765

« Reply #71 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:11 »
First of all it's SEQUOYAH not Sequayah I hope you pay closer attention to detail when you start working for us.

Should read: First of all it's SEQUOYAH not Sequayah.  I hope you pay closer attention to detail when you start working for us.

You failed to place a period after "Sequayah". 

Should read: Mostly it's a standard physical, vision test, color blind test, pulmonary functional test, hearing, blood, and maybe an X Ray and EKG.

You failed to place a comma after "blood".

Hope you pay closer attention next time.

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #72 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:40 »
PapaBear...just give it a break.  You make posters feel like they are stupid and who are you to be the Nazi spell checker?

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #73 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:41 »
Should read: First of all it's SEQUOYAH not Sequayah.  I hope you pay closer attention to detail when you start working for us.

You failed to place a period after "Sequayah". 

Should read: Mostly it's a standard physical, vision test, color blind test, pulmonary functional test, hearing, blood, and maybe an X Ray and EKG.

You failed to place a comma after "blood".

Hope you pay closer attention next time.

Sometimes I dont get your humor but today I am ROTFLMAO as they say. Karma!

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #74 on: Jul 11, 2008, 09:01 »
Two of the best SRO's I ever moved fuel with,Randy and Jeff. Can't say much for the cheap fuel (137 hr, reload last time I was there),But the site people were great.
Call Before You Dig!

dirtyspu

« Reply #75 on: Sep 21, 2008, 05:57 »
Hey guys what is the shift work rotation like there?  I don't what dates or anything just the rotation.  thanks in advance.

Tom

Fermi2

« Reply #76 on: Sep 21, 2008, 11:21 »
Shift rotation for which department?

dirtyspu

« Reply #77 on: Sep 22, 2008, 12:48 »
OPS I think I am currently still in the navy, so I may have the terms wrong.  NLO,RO,SRO those kind of jobs.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Fermi2

« Reply #78 on: Sep 22, 2008, 02:33 »
12 Hour Shifts.

dirtyspu

« Reply #79 on: Sep 22, 2008, 05:49 »
thanks

Fermi2

INPO 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: Oct 02, 2008, 06:49 »
Mike

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #81 on: Oct 02, 2008, 07:48 »
Congratulations to everyone at Sequoyah Mike!  Hoping to hear those words ourselves in a couple of years.

Peace,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

dirtyspu

When does Sequoyah hire?
« Reply #82 on: Nov 02, 2008, 08:54 »
I have looked at the web site and I see jobs posted from time to time but not very many OPS jobs.  I know that the plant hire in cycles and I was wanting to know if anyone knew when the next on would be?  thanks in advance.

Fermi2

« Reply #83 on: Nov 02, 2008, 10:17 »
We recently started POSS Testing for a new class which is due to start in March. I wouldn't look for a new one until early 2010.

Mike

dirtyspu

« Reply #84 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:31 »
Thanks for that info.  If the TVA employment web site the best way to know when you are starting the POSS testing?  If not then what is?  Thanks

Fermi2

I'm Not Sure
« Reply #85 on: Nov 07, 2008, 03:24 »
I'm not sure what you mean by is the TVA Site where you find out when they are POSS Testing.
They don't announce POSS Testing. You apply for jobs there and if we are interested we'll invite you to take the POSS.

Mike

jc

« Reply #86 on: Nov 08, 2008, 01:40 »
the TVA employment web site
The TVA site allows you to create search agents that will automatically email you in case of a job posting. Might be a good idea to set that up, since the trainee jobs only seem to stay up for a couple of days and are easy to miss. The last Sequoyah posting was online from September 20-22, and I know one POSS test session was held on October 18.

I've already passed the POSS for TVA and would really like to be in that March 09 class for Sequoyah. I'm just sitting here with my fingers crossed, reading this forum from cover to cover, while waiting (hoping) to get that interview invitation.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2008, 04:17 by jc »

Fermi2

« Reply #87 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:07 »
I doubt we'll be asking anyone until sometime after the first of the year.

Mike

jc

« Reply #88 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:46 »
I doubt we'll be asking anyone until sometime after the first of the year.

Timing might not be on my side. I initially applied for a Cumberland SGPO class that starts in January. I haven't even been interviewed yet, but If TVA considers me a suitable candidate, I might get hired at Cumberland before I even get a chance at an interview for Sequoyah. Cumberland is a good opportunity and I would be happy to have it, but I do find the nuke plants more appealing.

I suppose another possibility (other than not getting hired by TVA at all) is that I'm not selected for Cumberland, but get an interview and offer for Sequoyah. I'm not sure how likely that scenario is.

Fermi2

« Reply #89 on: Nov 08, 2008, 07:40 »
Don't let Cumberland know you've applied to Sequoyah. Where are you from?

Fermi2

« Reply #90 on: Nov 09, 2008, 12:15 »
Your chances of getting in there are about 1234567890% higher than getting in at Sequoyah.

jc

« Reply #91 on: Nov 09, 2008, 01:38 »
Your chances of getting in there are about 1234567890% higher than getting in at Sequoyah.

I see. That's okay though, I'd be thrilled to get on with Cumberland.

Fermi2

« Reply #92 on: Nov 09, 2008, 02:45 »
I'm just saying because of the 60 mile rule.

Mike

jc

« Reply #93 on: Nov 15, 2008, 09:04 »
I'm just saying because of the 60 mile rule.
Yeah, I assumed that's what you meant. Anyway, Cumberland interviews are finished and I wasn't called. Maybe I should move to the Chattanooga area to increase my TVA nuke chances.  ;)

jc

« Reply #94 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:43 »
I've received an offer to interview next week for the Sequoyah NSGPO class. I know I might not have the best chances, but I've been reading some of the old threads on here about the interview process to prepare myself, and I hope to make a pretty good go at it. Any additional advice is welcome, of course. I think I'll start a thread in the "Getting In" forum sometime soon and see if there are any other Sequoyah wannabes reading.

clcartwr

« Reply #95 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:11 »
I hoping I'll get that call also.  Took the POSS on October 18 but haven't heard anything back yet.  I'm straight out of college with a bachelors in physics but no experience.  It never hurts to try though!

jc

Anyone else interviewing at Sequoyah this week?
« Reply #96 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:31 »
Just curious if any fellow of my fellow Nukeworker forum frequenters are interviewing for NSGPO at Sequoyah. I believe they are conducting interviews all this week.

jowlman

« Reply #97 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:52 »
I just got back from my interview this afternoon. They said that they had one more day of interviews and that the offers should be made by Christmas. I hope that this helps.

clcartwr

« Reply #98 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:57 »
Guess that leaves me out of the equation! haha

jc

« Reply #99 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:47 »
I just got back from my interview this afternoon. They said that they had one more day of interviews and that the offers should be made by Christmas. I hope that this helps.
Got any tips you want to share?  ;)

jc

« Reply #100 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:25 »
Guess that leaves me out of the equation! haha
Sorry to hear it. Did you get a letter with your POSS results yet?

clcartwr

« Reply #101 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:11 »
Haven't heard anything on the POSS yet........from talking to everyone that was there I'm pretty confident on my results.  I had talked to one of their HR people and they said the training was starting any where from March to May.  I'm still taking class and wouldn't be able to start until May so if they are starting earlier that leaves me out.  Also I'm out of the "60 mile" range but still within TVA's boundaries.

jc

« Reply #102 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:54 »
training was starting any where from March to May.  I'm still taking class and wouldn't be able to start until May so if they are starting earlier that leaves me out.
We talked about this a bit at the interview. If I remember correctly, they were going to bring people in for orientation for a few weeks before class is supposed to start. They indicated that would likely be sometime in February. So it might not have worked out in your case anyway.

They also confirmed that offers would be made before Christmas.

clcartwr

« Reply #103 on: Dec 07, 2008, 01:53 »
Yeah I figured they would start earlier than later...I thought I would give it a shot anyways!  Just gotta keep looking.  Hopefully some other positions will become available later on.

Offline WebbedOne

• Very Lite User
« Reply #104 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:02 »
What is the 60 mile rule?

jc

« Reply #105 on: Dec 11, 2008, 01:06 »
What is the 60 mile rule?
TVA strongly prefers candidates who live within a certain radius from the plant. I thought it was 50 miles myself, but Broadzilla is in a position to know, so I'm probably mistaken about that.

clcartwr

« Reply #106 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:05 »
So has anyone heard anything on their interviews?  I know I did not get called for an interview but have yet to even hear from my test results.......I'm just curious to see how I performed...

Fermi2

« Reply #107 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:31 »
I'll be surprised if TVA gets the word out to anyone prior to X Mas. It'll be a first in my experience. The Ops Manager is in Virginia this week and the Ops Supt is in Atlanta. The last 4 years HR has become a ghostland around Thursday or Friday before X Mas and usually doesn't get geared back up until after the New Years. When I hired in 4 years ago I was told if I didn't hear anything by the week prior to X Mas then not to expect anything until the end of the second week of February and trust me, things haven't changed that much since then.

On the other hand anything is possible. So far as I know we do not send notices to those we do not select.

Mike

clcartwr

« Reply #108 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:40 »
The invitation letter they sent me to take the POSS stated they would send a letter out within 10 weeks with the results of the test...maybe I read that part wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what they said.

Fermi2

« Reply #109 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:12 »
Did  I  say anything about POSS Test Results?  Previous posts referred to Interview results prior to X Mas.

Mike

clcartwr

« Reply #110 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:17 »
So has anyone heard anything on their interviews?  I know I did not get called for an interview but have yet to even hear from my test results.......I'm just curious to see how I performed...

Thought you were referring to this......I knew you didn't interview so I thought that's what you were explaining.  As far as interviews Mike...does TVA just do one round or do they keep interviewing until they find the right candidates?  Just wondering.  Some companies I have interviewed with may do up to 3 rounds of interviews before they decide on candidates...

jc

« Reply #111 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:56 »
I can't answer your question about multiple interview rounds, but I was told that they interviewed 45 people. The initial job posting listed 15 slots. My guess is that they get enough with one round.

I haven't heard anything back yet. But, I don't feel that I interviewed very well, and I didn't have very good chances to begin with, so that might not mean much.

Fermi2

« Reply #112 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:41 »
The last I knew TVA sends a letter to everyone taking the POSS test letting them know how they did. It'll tell you what jobs you are qualified for based on the POSS. My opinion, the POSS is worthless as an indicator of anything. Some of the best Operators Fermi ever hired were during a period we did not give the POSS and many wouldn't have passed the test.

We only conduct one round of interviews. IIRC we bring in 3 candidates for every one we want to hire. It doesn't make economic sense to bring in any more or to bring anyone back.

Mike

jc

« Reply #113 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:52 »
So, anyone have any news yet on offers for the upcoming NSGPO class?

You ever get your test results, clcartwr? Did you apply for the Brown's Ferry NSGPO posting a couple of weeks ago?
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009, 12:09 by jc »

clcartwr

« Reply #114 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:14 »
Still have yet to receive my results on the POSS.  Don't know if I will ever hear from them? haha  Yeah I caught the posting for the Brown's Ferry NSGPO.  Been keeping a check pretty regularly on TVA's postings...

Fermi2

« Reply #115 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:08 »
If you didn't pass the POSS you can't take it again for at least 6 months.
Told ya no one would hear anything by X Mas.

Mike

jc

« Reply #116 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:21 »
Told ya no one would hear anything by X Mas.

Well, she didn't specify which Christmas.  ;D Anyway, the new info is that we're supposed to hear something this week.

jowlman

« Reply #117 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:10 »
I have a friend whose daughter works downtown in HR. I asked him to ask her what she could find out. She said that as of last Thursday the decisions had not been made. I hope that they don't keep us hanging in limbo much longer.

Fermi2

« Reply #118 on: Jan 11, 2009, 12:10 »
Get ready to wait.

clcartwr

« Reply #119 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:06 »
Got my test results in the mail today.  Passed all sections.  At least I know that is out of the way.  Now I can just keep trying to apply!

BoilerHP

« Reply #120 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:13 »
Congrats! Best of luck to yah

ls75

« Reply #121 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:54 »
First post. Long time reader.  The good info on this forum has helped me tremendously.

I interviewed for the SGPO class on 12/3/08.

I received my offer from Sequoyah for the upcoming SGPO on 1/9/09.  Scheduled for medical exam on 1/22/09.

Can't wait to get all the clearances over with so I can relax a bit and look forward to the start date.

mlslstephens

« Reply #122 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:04 »
First post. Long time reader.  The good info on this forum has helped me tremendously.

I interviewed for the SGPO class on 12/3/08.

I received my offer from Sequoyah for the upcoming SGPO on 1/9/09.  Scheduled for medical exam on 1/22/09.

Can't wait to get all the clearances over with so I can relax a bit and look forward to the start date.

Congratulations and welcome.  There are tons of great people around to help you and many on NW.  Good luck to you in the future...I'm sure our paths will cross.

ls75

« Reply #123 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:49 »
Congratulations and welcome.  There are tons of great people around to help you and many on NW.  Good luck to you in the future...I'm sure our paths will cross.

Thanks.  I took the POSS with TVA in 2002 straight out of college.  Unfortunately, I had accepted another job offer and already moved from Chattanooga when I got the invitation to interview with TVA.
Been trying to get back to this point for a while.

I have a friend that I graduated college with that is currently working on his RO license at Sequoyah.  He has always had good things to say about working there and the nuke field.  I am thankful to finally get my chance in the industry.

clcartwr

« Reply #124 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:54 »
ls75,
If you don't mind me asking what kind of qualifications did you have for the position? (degree, etc.)  Just trying to figure out what they are really looking for.......

Fermi2

« Reply #125 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:10 »

Thanks.  I took the POSS with TVA in 2002 straight out of college.  Unfortunately, I had accepted another job offer and already moved from Chattanooga when I got the invitation to interview with TVA.
Been trying to get back to this point for a while.

I have a friend that I graduated college with that is currently working on his RO license at Sequoyah.  He has always had good things to say about working there and the nuke field.  I am thankful to finally get my chance in the industry.

Who is your friend?

ls75

« Reply #126 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:02 »
ls75,
If you don't mind me asking what kind of qualifications did you have for the position? (degree, etc.)  Just trying to figure out what they are really looking for.......

My degree is in Chemical Engineering.  I have had several different positions in manufacturing...project engineer, robotics engineer, maintenance engineer, etc.  Also picked up a  Master Electrician license and Six Sigma Black Belt certification along the way.  I am not sure exactly what in my resume they were  looking for....but I am sure thankful for the opportunity.

My friend that I graduated college with that works at Sequoyah is David (Dave) Smith.

Fermi2

« Reply #127 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:21 »
David is a sharp guy. He was a very good AUO.

Mike

dirtyspu

« Reply #128 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:06 »
Does anyone know when the round of hiring will be?  For OPS?  Thanks

Fermi2

« Reply #129 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:21 »
For when? We just hired a new class. Odds are there won't be another for quite a few months. I wouldn't count on it for a year.

Mike

dirtyspu

« Reply #130 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:38 »
Is there anyway to get my resume to HR so they can keep it on file?  Also does going to one of the TVA job fairs help?  Thanks for the input.

Tom

Fermi2

« Reply #131 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:45 »
If you applied online it's always on file. We rarely go through the bank of resumes but when you apply for a job we check the one onfile.

mlslstephens

« Reply #132 on: Mar 04, 2009, 07:30 »
My friend that I graduated college with that works at Sequoyah is David (Dave) Smith.
David is a sharp guy. He was a very good AUO.

Mike

Mike is right about that.  David is a good AUO and currently in a license class.

I thought I might add some information to all the guys still proudly serving in the Navy and eagerly awaiting their EAOS so they can jump on the Nuclear Renaissance bandwagon.

This is really just a plug for some old Broadzilla guidance wrt interviews.  Not too long ago in a land a little north of me but south of most of you, several ex-Navy nukes who thought they were guaranteed spots in the civilian nuclear industry because of their vast Navy experience were turned away because their interviews did not go so well.  Moral of the story...don't rely on your past to get your future job.

Thanks again to all who post on this great website.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #133 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:22 »
Also does going to one of the TVA job fairs help?  Thanks for the input.

Tom

Absolutely. You have an opportunity to casually discuss jobs and what TVA is looking for with the people that will be interviewing and/or selecting candidates for interviews. I thought it was useful enough that I took my teenage sons, even though neither is ready to go to work. That way, they will be familiar with the process when the time comes.

dirtyspu

« Reply #134 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:11 »
I read an article in the paper and it was talking about how the TVA has 1048 open position and when I look on the web site there is no where near that many (<100).  I am very eager to work at Sequoyah and I don't think that I am guaranteed a job, but I am good at my job and I will use the experience the navy has given me.  I am very willing to put the time in a learn the job.  This is just my number on pick so I am looking hear harder.  Thanks for the info.

Fermi2

« Reply #135 on: Mar 05, 2009, 10:36 »
Don't think your Navy Experience means anything because it in fact doesn't.  When you went to the website did you see how many openings there were for each position?

Mike

lucky nuke

« Reply #136 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:01 »
How can you say that Navy experience means nothing.  I am being told by the people that are interviewing me that my navy experience does in fact mean something.  Should I not believe them and go with what you are saying?  Or is it that at your plant it does not mean anything?  If that is the case maybe he should just look else where and you could have put that much less hateful. After reading some of these posts I don't really think you can do that.  I am not sure why so many people in this industry are so willing to be mean and it does not have any thing to do with wanting them to do for themselves. Just stop being so hateful.

Fermi2

« Reply #137 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:43 »
Not being hateful. Completely meaningless.

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #138 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:51 »
Not being hateful. Completely meaningless.

Mike
I'm not taking sides or sticking up for Mike (Broadzilla) on this one mainly because he doesn't need me to but I will clarify something that I think he means when he says your navy experience is meaningless.

First, he isn't hateful.  If you knew him, you would understand that there probably isn't anyone else that is as helpful as him.

Second, he is direct with no sugar.  If you can't swallow the medicine, don't ask the doctor for help.   :P

Third, your navy experience ( mine too when I was looking ) doesn't help you get the job.  It might satisfy a requirement to enter a license class, but it surely won't get you the job. 

Finally, I've said it  before and I'll say it again.  BZ is here to help us Navy brothers out.  You just need to find out how to ask for help.

Chimera

« Reply #139 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:57 »
Broadzilla wasn't being "hateful" - just merely stating the truth.  There is little to no comparison between a Navy plant and a commercial plant.  The theory is much the same - both physics and mechanical, but the beasties that utilize that theory are totally different.  It's like jumping from a Ferrari into a train locomotive.  Both use internal combustion engines, both have generators/alternators, and both go pretty fast.  The actual operation and components, however, are not comparable.

I'm an ex-Navy RO.  Speaking from my own experiences and those I've observed of other ex-Navy operators coming into the commmercial industry, there is a profound culture shock: pump motors bigger than the reactor on the submarine; dose-rates well above almost anything seen in the Navy; and a myriad of buildings and rooms.  While your Navy training will hold you in good stead, they just ain't the same beasties.

Fermi2

« Reply #140 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:12 »
Actually you'll go past your Navy training in the first week of GFES. The Navy has nothing equivalent to AOP/EOP Training and the amount of systems knowledge and integration you're required to know in the Navy is miniscule compared to the commercial world. Fact: Our NLOs are more knowledgeable about how a Nuke plant works than any Naval person I've ever known, the ROs are an order of magnitude better than the ROs in the Navy and there's nothing in the Navy that's anywhere near a good SRO. I've used the analogy of someone showing up to the World Series Champion's front office saying they just coached a T Ball team to an undefeated season so they're ready for the majors.
And if you go from the Navy to a BWR you might as well just chunk out the book.

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #141 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:27 »
By the way, Congrats to Gary, Tim, Bruce and Jim (RollTide) on passing their SRO, RO, SRO, and SRO exams respectively. Good job guys!

Mike

chevy29

« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2009, 07:40 »
Good evening all.  I am new to this site and currently I am a navy nuke machinist mate and have been for 4 1/2 years now.  Lately I have been really thinking about getting out of the navy and going civilian when my time is up (about 3 1/2 years left) on account that I want to actually be able to raise a family without having to leave all the time.  I have read pretty much this entire forum (along with the watts bar plant) in hopes to find information on them.  As of right now if I get out I want to move to Tennessee, so thats why I am so interested. Currently I am thinking about going AO, but also not entirely certain what all is out there. Unfortunately I do have a few questions (some of which have been answered all ready but in very vague answers).
1)  What kind of jobs are available (nuke related), what do they do, and how does "advancement" work (for lack of a better word)?
2)  I understand that it is shiftwork so:  How long are the days and what is the cycle like for each shift?
3)  How much on average do people get paid, does qualifying EWS or getting a degree help get more?
4)  What are the benefits like, including say medical, dental, and retirement?
5)  Since I have a little bit of time left:  When should I officially apply for a job and take my POSS test (I would like to know that I have a job as soon as I get out)

Thank you everybody and sorry its such a lengthy first post

Fermi2

« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2009, 07:46 »
1: None really, and whatever position you get hired in at is where you'll end up at.
2: 6 On Six Off just like the Navy.
3: Somewhere above minimum wage and your EWS and Degree will get you a 6 figure signing bonus with a 5 figure retention rider. EWS is a hugely respected qual in the civilian world.
4: Your primary benefit is your pay check. Don't get sick
5: 11 Days before you get out, with a target POSS of 6 days prior to getting out.

Mike

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2009, 08:32 »
1: None really, and whatever position you get hired in at is where you'll end up at.
2: 6 On Six Off just like the Navy.
3: Somewhere above minimum wage and your EWS and Degree will get you a 6 figure signing bonus with a 5 figure retention rider. EWS is a hugely respected qual in the civilian world.
4: Your primary benefit is your pay check. Don't get sick
5: 11 Days before you get out, with a target POSS of 6 days prior to getting out.

Mike

That is worth the mental picture of some poor MM sitting in front of hte computer with a stunned look on his face...... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermi2

« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2009, 08:35 »
LMAO!

DSO

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2009, 08:38 »
Good evening all.  I am new to this site and currently I am a navy nuke machinist mate and have been for 4 1/2 years now.  Lately I have been really thinking about getting out of the navy and going civilian when my time is up (about 3 1/2 years left) on account that I want to actually be able to raise a family without having to leave all the time.  I have read pretty much this entire forum (along with the watts bar plant) in hopes to find information on them.  As of right now if I get out I want to move to Tennessee, so thats why I am so interested. Currently I am thinking about going AO, but also not entirely certain what all is out there. Unfortunately I do have a few questions (some of which have been answered all ready but in very vague answers).
1)  What kind of jobs are available (nuke related), what do they do, and how does "advancement" work (for lack of a better word)?
2)  I understand that it is shiftwork so:  How long are the days and what is the cycle like for each shift?
3)  How much on average do people get paid, does qualifying EWS or getting a degree help get more?
4)  What are the benefits like, including say medical, dental, and retirement?
5)  Since I have a little bit of time left:  When should I officially apply for a job and take my POSS test (I would like to know that I have a job as soon as I get out)

Thank you everybody and sorry its such a lengthy first post

1) Posted jobs are the ones usually available
2) Days are 24 hrs longs and the cycles length for each shift varies
3) People on average get paid the following: total number of plant employees divided by the total yearly pay of the total number of plant employees--EWS or/and a degree may or may not help you "get more".
4) Benefits are usually beneficial in direct relationship to the name of the benefit
5) You should start applying and take the POSS test immediately as 3 1/2 years of practice should sharpen your job-hunting skills to put you right on target of having all the nuclear Tennessee power plant employers begging for your services

Offline LOKI RAD

• Light User
  • Don't Lie To Me Again!
« Reply #147 on: Apr 10, 2010, 06:13 »
I understand there are new job posting for RP techs @ SQN, how many are you going to hire?

I heard you were gonna get 7, but that is just a rumor so far. It's hard to believe that you have to hire 7 techs just to replace one that resigned recently!

Thanks for any clarification.

Loki

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #148 on: Apr 23, 2010, 11:39 »
You are probably refering to the RP jobs that were posted.  True we had one tech retire in Janurary but we lost 8 more in the last month.  In our field operations group one quit, 6 moved to other positions and 1 is assigned to the instrumentation group.  We have a few contractors for now but that is not near enough.  Senior management is allowing us to bring in 5 new techs but that process could take 6 months or more based on the last couple of hirings.  (We don't care about ops and thier openings.)  This is compounded by the fact that in the next 2 or 3 years we will lose over 50% of the total RP staff to retirement.  It's going to be tight around here for awhile.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #149 on: Apr 26, 2010, 03:48 »
I did not see any posts on TVA website.  How do I find them ?

clcartwr

« Reply #150 on: Apr 26, 2010, 05:44 »

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #151 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:36 »
I did not see any posts for Rad Tech.

Offline LOKI RAD

• Light User
  • Don't Lie To Me Again!
« Reply #152 on: Oct 02, 2010, 03:38 »
Aren't you SQN people in an outage, it's like noone reads the old "Nuke Worker" anymore, what happen to the guys who says "there arent enough mules to hook up to the wagon anymore"; did he die or just become Management? 8)

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
« Reply #153 on: Oct 04, 2010, 02:26 »
Yes we are in an outage.  And yes it doesn't seem that anyone reads nukeworker anymore.  It is a shame.  Most posts were very entertaining.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

johnnyreb

« Reply #154 on: Oct 04, 2010, 04:09 »
  whos the crazy guy running the bartlett show?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #155 on: Oct 04, 2010, 04:22 »
  whos the crazy guy running the bartlett show?

Tsk Tsk... Forum Rule #7  [soap]

7. Peoples name's: It's a bad idea to use them, they lead to law suits. Some names are already censored because of this. Don't use names in stories or messages that could in any way be taken wrong.

[spank]

shiftman

« Reply #156 on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:07 »
The new motel at the end of the access road is called the Hometown Inn. This place was mentioned in an earlier post.

The place is nice, but it is a bit pricey at outage time. That said, it is close to several eating establishments and a Wal-Mart Supercenter.     

Offline Fluffy Bunny

• Light User
« Reply #157 on: Oct 19, 2010, 03:37 »
Tsk Tsk... Forum Rule #7  [soap]

7. Peoples name's: It's a bad idea to use them, they lead to law suits. Some names are already censored because of this. Don't use names in stories or messages that could in any way be taken wrong.

[spank]

1. Last I checked, you were not a moderator.
2. Moderators are suposed to coach in PM's.

That makes this post yet another in a long line of you just liking to hear yourself babble on.

[OT]

Nukeworker rule # 1

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

1. Keep all replies to a message on topic; ANY off topic messages will be deleted. (This includes witticisms, and smart remarks.) Feel free to create witty topics in the correct area.

It seems to be a recurring issue with you.

[stir] I'm the Troll your mother warned you about, feed me.

Fermi2

« Reply #158 on: Oct 19, 2010, 04:09 »
1. Last I checked, you were not a moderator.
2. Moderators are suposed to coach in PM's.

That makes this post yet another in a long line of you just liking to hear yourself babble on.

[OT]

Nukeworker rule # 1

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

1. Keep all replies to a message on topic; ANY off topic messages will be deleted. (This includes witticisms, and smart remarks.) Feel free to create witty topics in the correct area.

It seems to be a recurring issue with you.

Actually he's dead on NUB.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
« Reply #159 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:04 »
Midnight at the oasis, send your camel to bed...man nights (yawn) on the weekend are too too zzzzz...
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2011, 03:18 by Limited Quanity »

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
« Reply #160 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:35 »
It may be the company you keep!  We have a great time!!

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
« Reply #161 on: Jul 16, 2011, 03:25 »
Aren't you SQN people in an outage, it's like noone reads the old "Nuke Worker" anymore, what happen to the guys who says "there arent enough mules to hook up to the wagon anymore"; did he die or just become Management? 8)

Nah, not dead, just a manager.  "Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon!"  That's a by gone saying now.  I don't have a mule or a wagon anymore, afraid I'll hurt myself or tear something up I'm told  :)

It may be the company you keep!  We have a great time!!

We just have learned to play well alone  :-[
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2011, 03:27 by Limited Quanity »

Offline HiRadDrifter

• Very Lite User
Sequoyah
« Reply #162 on: Sep 26, 2013, 03:49 »
After being stiffed by St. Lucie (they cancelled my slot 3 weeks ago) I just got the call to go to Sequoyah. Never been there Any info? How's it to work there? Lodging? etc....

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #163 on: Sep 26, 2013, 06:09 »

Little Tramp

« Reply #164 on: Sep 27, 2013, 03:25 »
After being stiffed by St. Lucie (they cancelled my slot 3 weeks ago) I just got the call to go to Sequoyah. Never been there Any info? How's it to work there? Lodging? etc....

Getting stiffed by Lucie, and then going to Sequoyal is the best thing that could ever happen. You will love it. 3 outages there, and 17 years at Lucie

Offline HiRadDrifter

• Very Lite User
« Reply #165 on: Sep 29, 2013, 02:10 »
So where would recommend staying that is reasonable?

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #166 on: Sep 30, 2013, 12:05 »
So where would recommend staying that is reasonable?

www.reserveatlakeshore.com
Try this place. They have furnished studio apartments.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
« Reply #167 on: Aug 21, 2014, 09:46 »
Hey everyone what is going on in the valley? I miss the crew and hope all are well.

jowlman

« Reply #168 on: Aug 22, 2014, 11:55 »
Aren't you there anymore Don? I'm not at the Test Site anymore. I'm going to Chalk River on 9/2.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
« Reply #169 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:32 »
Hey does anyone get on here anymore? I miss the conversations.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
« Reply #170 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:40 »
No i am not at sqn anymore. IT had a disagreement with my computer practices and we parted ways. I am currently working at Ingalls shipyard on the mississippi gulf coast as a shipfitter. I should have never bitched about outages cause this REALLY sucks! Hope you are well.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?