Farley

Above Average
15 (34.1%)
Average
13 (29.5%)
Below Average
16 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Farley (Joseph M. Farley)  (Read 130066 times)

B.PRESGROVE

Re: Farley (Joseph M. Farley)
« Reply #125 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:05 »
 >:(  Alright I was passed over yet again by southern.  I dont understand why, I meet or exceed job quals, but still get overlooked.  Im tired of the game so I may be saying fairwell to the nuke world.  Think its time to finish degree in EE and get some other trade.  I start a new job on monday at a well known fortune 500 manufacturing company so I think I will go in that direction for a while and see what happens.  I love the field but hate the games.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #126 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:57 »
What tests had you taken when they declined you?

Offline rockchalk99

• Very Lite User
« Reply #127 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:58 »
I believe Bprogressive and I are in the same boat, we've both passed the POSS and MASS tests that were administered by Southern Co..

I have a good bit of heavy/commercial construction experience (pipefitting, electrical, steel fabrication/erection, ect, ect), I'm just about to finish a B.S. degree this summer, and I have one class this semester for my A.S. in Nuclear Power Technology at Bismarck State.

Granted, I don't have any commercial or navy nuke experience, but I'm confident that I have a solid core of related mechanical experience, work ethic, and drive to be successful when I finally get the call.

The position, as I understand it, wasn't for ops or maintenance, but was an entry level position that could lead to those opportunities in the future. As someone without navy nuke experience, that would much rather be on the operations side than in a traditional engineering role, I thought this job would be an ideal way to get my foot in the door to work my way into an NLO opportunity.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #128 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:39 »
Hydro,  2 years ago I took the POSS/MASS and passed, this time around I just took the POSS and I passed so I am at a loss as to why Im not getting in.  Ive got NDA/NDE, HP, nuke pharm tech, and chemical operations under my belt so why not getting chosen is a mystery to me.  I even have a really good (Im talkin really good connections) still nothin.

emcdave

« Reply #129 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:05 »
Hi all,
My name is David Bell, I'm an EMC in the Navy retiring in November 10.  I have all the standard attributes you'd expect from a 20 yr Chief in the Navy along with my BSAST from Thomas Edison.  I was born and raised in Dothan, and would really like to go back.  I have 2 teenagers there at Northview High.
My questions are:
1.  I have applied on the Southern website for 2 separate jobs, over 2 weeks ago, and so far nothing except the standard "thank you for applying" email.  One still says "under review".  What should I expect for a time frame after I apply before I should move on to something else?  Am I applying too early?
2.  What does a shift supervisor in training do?  Approximate pay?
3.  How would that compare to an instructor?
4.  I'm going out to sea shortly for a couple of weeks, if they reply, how long do they generally give before I'm out of the pool, and if I'm out of the pool for that one, does it mean I'm done with Farley?
5.  Any other useful information for my job hunting would also be appreciated.
Thank you very much for any help,
David

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #130 on: Mar 12, 2010, 02:23 »
HR is always slower than you think it ought to be.  They have hired enough navy folks to understand sea duty so I wouldn't worry about that.

Good luck. 

Hope to see you at Farley soon
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Fermi2

« Reply #131 on: Mar 12, 2010, 04:49 »
Hi all,
My name is David Bell, I'm an EMC in the Navy retiring in November 10.  I have all the standard attributes you'd expect from a 20 yr Chief in the Navy along with my BSAST from Thomas Edison.  I was born and raised in Dothan, and would really like to go back.  I have 2 teenagers there at Northview High.
My questions are:
1.  I have applied on the Southern website for 2 separate jobs, over 2 weeks ago, and so far nothing except the standard "thank you for applying" email.  One still says "under review".  What should I expect for a time frame after I apply before I should move on to something else?  Am I applying too early?
2.  What does a shift supervisor in training do?  Approximate pay?
3.  How would that compare to an instructor?
4.  I'm going out to sea shortly for a couple of weeks, if they reply, how long do they generally give before I'm out of the pool, and if I'm out of the pool for that one, does it mean I'm done with Farley?
5.  Any other useful information for my job hunting would also be appreciated.
Thank you very much for any help,
David

The standards we expect out of a 20 year Navy Vet are quite low. Your highest standards are power than ours. Your qualifiactions are roughly those of a janitor,

1: Expect a month.
2 and 3: Depends. The salary varies by utility, If Shift Supervisor i training means Instant SRO you can expect quite a bit higher salary than as an instructor
4: If you're at sea you're out of luck, also if not within 90 days of your EAOS you're most likely out of luck HOWEVER this does not preclude you from being considered if you apply for a position in the future.

5: Advice, drop statements like I have the standards you'd expect from a Navy Chief with 20 years and a Thomas Edison Degree. No one cares. Neither is applicable.

Mike

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #132 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:15 »
Your qualifiactions are roughly those of a janitor

Mike, you spelled qualifications wrong (typo/whatever).  I wouldn't normally point it out, but you seem to think its important.

If that guy is equal to a janitor, then I should just stay outside the gate.  Maybe even cry myself to sleep.

emcdave

« Reply #133 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:42 »
Well, i did look on the Southern website for janitors, they don't have any posted.  So I guess I'm done with Farley then......
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2010, 09:58 by emcdave »

emcdave

« Reply #134 on: Mar 13, 2010, 05:30 »
Now that I'm done crying myself to sleep on my huge pillow, thank you guys that gave me serious responses.
Dave :)

emcdave

« Reply #135 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:00 »
got an email today for farley for a job interview.  unfortunately, i'm going to be at sea. :'(  i did call the hr dept, and they said they'd love to talk to me about other jobs in the future :)

nosoupforyou

« Reply #136 on: Mar 28, 2010, 09:40 »
I just did a phone interview with these guys for a Shift Support Supervisor in Training on Wednesday in which I said I'd also consider a Systems Operator position if one were available, and on Friday I had a job offer for the Systems Operator position. It seems a bit odd, since they're willing to take me on sight unseen, but I'm not complaining. So what can anyone tell me about Farley, Dothan, and the job in general? I know relatively nothing about the area, but I'm coming down for in-processing this week and my start date is May 10th. I'm currently a Plant Operator at Nine Mile Point.

LaFeet

« Reply #137 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:40 »
got an email today for farley for a job interview.  unfortunately, i'm going to be at sea. :'(  i did call the hr dept, and they said they'd love to talk to me about other jobs in the future :)

Good Luck Dave.... both on your future job quest and your final voyage.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #138 on: Apr 30, 2010, 12:07 »
I just did a phone interview with these guys for a Shift Support Supervisor in Training on Wednesday in which I said I'd also consider a Systems Operator position if one were available, and on Friday I had a job offer for the Systems Operator position. It seems a bit odd, since they're willing to take me on sight unseen, but I'm not complaining. So what can anyone tell me about Farley, Dothan, and the job in general? I know relatively nothing about the area, but I'm coming down for in-processing this week and my start date is May 10th. I'm currently a Plant Operator at Nine Mile Point.

Darn near no snow
Better, but different fishing
Sunscreen all year
More golf
Almost everything can be cooked on a grill / barbecue....
 8) 8)
PM Grantime - he's there. Good plant. I've been to NMP and Farley - I'd return to Farley.... :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

LaFeet

« Reply #139 on: Apr 30, 2010, 12:18 »
I'd take a house job at Farley too... it's close to home for me.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #140 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:17 »
Welcome to Farley and Dothan.  Its a nice area --been here almost 25 years.  let me know if I can help in any way.  At a minimium stop by HP training area and introduce yourself when you get on site

Glen Granberry
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Longhornfan

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2010, 06:52 »
Start date is May 24th...will be in the area looking for housing around the 15th.  Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started!

Offline Ambered

• Light User
« Reply #142 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:56 »
My husband finally has an interview at Farley for SOIT.  I am excited about the opportunity to get some red clay on my tires!  Anyone know when they are going to make decisions or class up?  Keep your fingers and toes crossed for us. 

MacGyver

« Reply #143 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:28 »

My husband finally has an interview at Farley for SOIT.  I am excited about the opportunity to get some red clay on my tires!  Anyone know when they are going to make decisions or class up?  Keep your fingers and toes crossed for us. 

***<Cough / Mmmmmmmm / Cough / sound of me clearing my throat>***

Rumor has it the end of Jan. '11.  Again, rumor has it.

I do not work at Farley but have a knowledgeable inside source.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2010, 01:32 by MacGyver »

Offline Ambered

• Light User
« Reply #144 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:35 »
Thank you, Macgyver.  That is great.  It only took a year and a half to get to this (see page 4 of this thread) point.  The rest of the waiting should be easy.

MacGyver

« Reply #145 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:44 »

Thank you, Macgyver.  That is great.  It only took a year and a half to get to this (see page 4 of this thread) point.  The rest of the waiting should be easy.

You're welcome.  And, I research every poster I reply too.  So, yes I viewed them.  I may have more inside info to pass along (re: class date), if and when that happens I will PM you.

Offline Ambered

• Light User
« Reply #146 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:19 »
That will be great.  They said that they would be letting the selectees know the first or second week of January.  I wish it was sooner, but the holidays are upon us.   

nuclear2010

« Reply #147 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:43 »
My husband had an interview as well for the System Operator in Training position at plant Farley.  They'll let the candidates know after the 1st of the year.  Start date: Mid Feb! Good luck!

tselby

« Reply #148 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:52 »
I know the Ops manager and a NPO if any info is needed let me know

Offline Ambered

• Light User
« Reply #149 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:42 »
Has anyone heard any news yet?  I hope to hear something soon!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?