Dresden

Above Average
8 (12.7%)
Average
12 (19%)
Below Average
43 (68.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Dresden  (Read 47280 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Dresden
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 06:59 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007, 02:38 by Camella Black »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Dresden
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:24 »
Talk About: Dresden

Pet_Cow

Re: Rate Dresden
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2002, 08:57 »
I have never lived in a place with unfriendly cold people as in Northern Illinois. However, how can you not love working for a guy named Harry Bush.

rlbinc

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2002, 09:42 »
Quad without the glitter...

DainJer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2002, 09:01 »
Quad has glitter?   lmao
well from the contractor view...at least quad had trailers
instead of tents....but the dose was nearly triple, dresden.
dresden treated us like cattle.
a few good techs there....roadies done an awesome job..of course some house attitude...but the rent-a-techs took well enough care of us that the house hardly ever dealt with us.

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
Re: Dresden
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2004, 09:05 »
Nice local golfing place - Braidwood Fairways.  In Braidwood - close to Braidwood Plant in addition to Dresden plants.
Decomm Man

Offline mahalo

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2004, 11:11 »
Plants like Dresden That are very unfriendly have good Hourly, great P/D, and great Bonus's
I don't go the the Illinois plants for fellowship I go for MONEY and as long as they keep up that anti-Carnie attitude then they will keep increasing that Bonus Where else can you work 15 to 18 weeks a year and take home >$40K

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2004, 11:32 »
This is probably one of the most oppressive places in the world to work. I am embarrassed to be from Northern Illinois when this subject comes up. There are a few ex-road techs (now house mice) that don't look at you like you just quit Wendy's to work the outage. Other than that, you will get the same old "Carnie" comments, which is their politically correct version of.........well, I can't say what they used to call us. You have all the great venues in Chicago: great food, venerable Wrigley Field, The Magnificent Mile, and many more.....just a 30 minute ride away.
Put this place on your no-go list when you select your outage schedule.
One mans opinion......

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2004, 01:41 »
Here if my experience at Dresden.
During the last day of inprocessing, about 30 of us met with the RPM. He welcomed us and passed out keys for the HP supply cabinets. He told us we would have to pay $25 if we lost it.
Now, here is the good part. He said we were to turn the keys in when we got LAID OFF or FIRED, which ever CAME FIRST!!!
We laughed at that, he did too. However he said he was serious. Turn the keys in when we got laid off or fired, whichever came first.
Guess what, the next day I quit.

spongerob

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2004, 07:05 »
heard rumor. whats going on at dresden. can any one give me some info.

Offline NightCrawler

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2004, 03:14 »
What is the rumor that you heard?

spongerob

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2004, 07:49 »
That they had to bring unit down. Don't know why!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2004, 05:35 »
Here's the unofficial scoop up to now.
Both units were experiencing higher than normal vibrations in the Main Generator bearings.  Unit 2 reduced power to reduce vibrations, and in September it was shut down to check out the generator.  It was restarted about a week later, but the vibrations continued to increase until power was reduced again.
During the Unit 3 refuel outage, a crack was discovered in the Main Generator rotor while it was being inspected at the GE Service Shop in Chicago.  The plant decided that this was enough to warrant them shutting down unit 2 again so that its rotor could be inspected.  A crack was also found in that machine at the same place.  The rotor was shipped to Chicago, where they are both being repaired by the GE Service Shop.
Both generator rotors will be reinstalled within a couple of weeks.  So far, this has had minimal impact on the unit 3 outage.  It might actually get to restart on schedule despite the additional repairs.
The site is using the forced outage of unit 2 as an opportunity to do some inspections in that unit's reactor after the unit 3 refuel is completed.

On a personal note; I'm having a wonderful time here.  Though I'm not working in RP, I have noticed that the contract RP techs are having a pretty good time too.  Well, at least they don't seem miserable.  I had expected a lot worse, due to all the stories I'd been hearing about Exelon and Dresden over the years.  It's true that they have a different organizational setup than other plants (contractors and house personnel are not permitted to work for the same supervisor or do the same work), but I don't see much animosity between the house and contract techs.  They pretty much just do their own thing, and leave each other in peace.  I'll try to update once things are a little more certain.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

dykeHP

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2004, 01:02 »
How about all the free cash. What else can you say about 8 weeks at dresden. They have completed both turbine repairs and are finishing up with some issues with the reactor head. Unit 3 is on line and unit 2 should be up by the 10th or 11th.
Wow do I like using other peoples log ins.
Daniel Frew Tech for life

radgal

« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2005, 03:38 »
P.S to Dave Warren's post.....Joliet is about 15-20 min away and Chicago is about 1 hour away if you don't go during rush hour.

Aerosquirl

« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2005, 01:44 »
So, let it ride, why did you quit??  Contemplating going there this fall.  Been to Palisades and Fermi, liked Fermi, hated Palisades.  Whats the area like?? From what I have read on the site, big union place and contract scum isn't welcomed to well.  Did I get it right??  ::)

foreverajr

« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2005, 11:17 »
I worked Dresden a couple of times.  Interesting place.  We were so short staffed that I only go to leave the floor for a total of thrity minutes the entire night.  I worked 13 to 14 hours every day.  It was hard to keep a smile on my face at times. The weather was miserable, the people were miserable.  I was asked to come back once.  Told them that I would, but they had to pay me more money (I was a jr then).  They paid me senior pay, so it made it somewhat better, but I wouldn't go back now.   There was a nice house guy there, Todd Casagrande.  He was awesome. 

RADBASTARD

« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2005, 01:40 »
I was at dresden 96-98 in wasn't the most pleasent atmosphere.
I once heard a tech tell the RPM when was ask if he was coming back.
He responded that he would sooner blow a heard of goats then come back to this place!

I also heard in the break room from a house tech in the morning meeting that he wanted the air tested because he was afraid of catching something from us.He said this in front of all of us.We were caught by suprise and didn't know what to say.

Hey but we did stay in a holiday inn express last night!
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2005, 02:01 by RadBastard »

shovelheadred

« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2005, 04:33 »

I was at Dresden at the same time as"the Bastard", and Dave Warren......what a place!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,the House techs hated us, that was my last commercial plant,,,,,,,,,welcome HAZWOPER,,,never looked back...there were some house supervisors that were ex-RAT's that were cool........Rick Conklin.and The Harry Busch. isnt Dresden the Plant that Lydia Jacobs, during an ALARA brief told the RPM to Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!,,cant say it here, Yep I know it was...jumped up on the table..and addressed the whole Outage Staff..anybody know the wherebouts of that foul mouthed, dark skinned beauty,no not Steve,,,,Lydia

Offline AMU

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2005, 09:56 »
Harry Bush and Mike Overstreet were the only two good things about that place and one of my last commercial sites.  Both fair and when you had their respect, it went a lot easier.  Don't know if MO ever made it to the house side, was attempting to when I was there.  House attitude really bad, nothing good about them, hot plant, cold people.  If I had to make that once in a lifetime choice between goats and Dresden, for the sake of this commentary, I would have to go with the goats.  Dresden has rightfully earned all it gets in the way of attitude and comments, none of which have been exagerated, other than the goats.  Would not go there if you have other options. 
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2005, 10:17 by AMU »

rawtech

« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2005, 01:45 »
Been there once. As for comparing Dres. to Quad., I would have to say that Quad. was more updated, but I liked the way my supervisor backed my decisions at Dresden. I didn't find any of that at Quad. Out of the two, I'd definately return to Dresden first. That is considering that I don't have a choice in any other places to go.   Rawtech

RADBASTARD

« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2005, 02:06 »
From the looks of the poll results,it looks like there are alot more of us goat herders out there.

12Bravo

« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2005, 10:59 »
Here right now, not TOO very bad, and Mike Overstreet is the RPM

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2005, 02:41 »
Hey, do me a favor 12Bravo.
Tell Mike O. I said Hello.
Him and Marta were my neighbors in Morris, around 1998.
Thanks.

radgal

« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2005, 10:56 »
12Bravo  Tell Mike O. that John Tinnin and Helen say hello

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?