Prarie Island

Above Average
16 (38.1%)
Average
10 (23.8%)
Below Average
16 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Prairie Island  (Read 163479 times)

duke99301

Re: Prairie Island
« Reply #50 on: Oct 26, 2004, 08:53 »
ok ok some one tell me about the SGRP how is it going>?

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #51 on: Oct 26, 2004, 12:15 »
From what I heard, not well...the generators have FME issues, the techs are being laid off, the welds are not passing...but that is just the scuttlebutt.  by the way, mitch, al is not the RPM anymore, which is where all of the problems are coming from as far as the HP's are concerned.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

duke99301

« Reply #52 on: Oct 29, 2004, 03:52 »
yes but what is going on are the old gennys out and is the FME work down are they ready to start setting hte new jennys?

Hawk095

« Reply #53 on: Oct 31, 2004, 11:40 »
Old jennys are out new jennys are in and welded tgether, Still looks like an anthill in containment, but getting there, r 10 days behind schedule but starting to wrap up. Be glad when done 56 days in on plant is too long. Update later 8)

ramdog_1

« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2004, 08:05 »
56 days not bad. who rembers when 92 days was the norm?
of cousre PI was always doing short outages abck in the old days.
GL all

Offline felchie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #55 on: Nov 12, 2004, 06:28 »
Just a quick update, almost done here, mode 5 now and loking to hit mode 4
in the next couple days.  It has been a long one and most are glad its about over.
The new NMC HP mgmt still doesn't have a clue, the Hp's have been busy
but they kept laying em off until the Plt mgr stepped in, then they tried
blaming the site coord!  Luckily he had all the e-mails telling him to get rid
of folks!  (always keep your rear covered).
I will miss some of the house techs and wish them luck as I doubt I'll be back
anytime soon.

ramdog_1

« Reply #56 on: Nov 14, 2004, 12:08 »
hoiw many days over did they go?

Offline Sledhead

• Light User
  • They laugh at us because we are Different,  We laugh at them because they are ALL THE SAME !!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 14, 2004, 07:33 »
Felchie,

That's a crying shame about PI.  They get rid of one nice guy and one _ickhead and replaced them with a couple of ---- well anyway, I'm glad I decided to be a bum all fall. 8)

Later
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2004, 07:35 by Sledhead »

runnindumbass

« Reply #58 on: Dec 02, 2004, 08:03 »
Worst RPM ever, what a runnindumbass!! Where in the hell did they get that guy? And what about the polish one? Did he just fall off the turnip truck or what? House techs, some where OK but it was the Bartlett Techs that made that outage. The night shift crew were GREAT! THANKS to all!!!!!

Oly

« Reply #59 on: Dec 19, 2004, 05:41 »
 >:(

Bad Kitty!!!!  You won't belive some of the latest messiness. It was a treat to see you again. Hope to see you again in the spring!

Have a happy holiday!

nucleardave55

« Reply #60 on: Jan 09, 2005, 07:00 »
Thanks to all the Aux. building nightshift techs I worked with. Had a great time, and enjoyed every moment. As far as management was concerned, I have been dealt alot worse in life than they could ever throw at me; and my broad shoulders can carry. Take care, see you all somewhere down the path of life. Dave ;)

Offline nukemom02

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Prairie Island Contracts
« Reply #61 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:30 »
I am curious on who is handling the health physics/decon work at Praire Island.

vikingfan

Re: Prairie Island Contracts
« Reply #62 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:37 »
nukemom,

The Atlanticgroup has the hp and decon staffing contracts. you can reach them at 800-332-0058 or 888-605-0272 hope this helps.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #63 on: Mar 20, 2006, 12:53 »
I got some friends going to prairie island and the want to know how it is to work?
Is it a nice place to work or is it a living hell,I have no clue to tell them?
Also is there an RV park close to the plant?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #64 on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:18 »
Thanks GWB.  I fixed my post.  Paradise Island was my nickname for the plant.  I guess it ain't so anymore.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline nukemom02

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Information about Praire Island
« Reply #65 on: Mar 22, 2006, 07:05 »
I am inquiring on who handles the decon/hp services at Praire Island. Having a hard time finding this information out. I would appreciate any help. As of right now I know Atlantic doesn't handle it and that Bartlett might but that they take union dues from the employees checks as it is union. I know I have asked before but am wondering if anyone still may know for sure. Thanks for the help.

Oly

« Reply #66 on: Mar 22, 2006, 07:16 »
Since I'm at home and THE MAN can't tell me what to do here, lemme tell ya somethin'!

GW Badkitty is right - if you just come in do as your told, don't violate "procedures", realize that those of us who try here are very frustrated  :-[ - you'll be fine.

Nothing done here is personal in nature and I'd like to keep it that way :-X

The RV park should be open #is 651-388-6300. There are RVs parked there now even with all the snow ;D

Oly

Re: Information about Praire Island
« Reply #67 on: Mar 22, 2006, 07:30 »
As a housemouse and an IBEW steward, let me assure you we (IBEW) do NOT take any money for union dues. Atlantic Group handles the contract staff for NMC. Check the regionIII talk about forum.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2006, 07:36 by Oly »

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #68 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:15 »
When does PI's outage start and how many days is it suppose to be? Thanks for any info

Oly

« Reply #69 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:14 »
Shut down is 4/29. First arrivals are 4/10/06. Scheduled 35 day RFO, Rx head replacement.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #70 on: Mar 30, 2006, 04:25 »
Thanks for the info. I just got an email and they said April 28 thru June 1st. Waiting to hear if I'm going their for this outage.

depthafield

Simulator Maintenance
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2006, 12:12 »
Does anyone have a point of contact for the maintenance of the plant simulator at either Monticello or Prairie Island?  I’m a Flt. Sim. Tech, but would like to apply for a position at a nuclear power plant sim.

Many thanks in advance for any information you might have.   

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2006, 01:41 »
NMC UPDATE

Prairie Island addresses containment issue

May 10, 2006

Prairie Island has been in the news this week because of an incident that occurred last week at the plant. Unit 1 is in the midst of a refueling outage.

As workers were preparing on May 2 for planned work on the Unit 1 steam generators, an inadvertent release of airborne radioactive contaminants into the containment building prompted a halt to work and workers exited the building. Approximately 110 workers in the containment building at the time were exposed to very low doses of radiation; none was contaminated. There was no release outside the building.

NMC officials said plant operators had anticipated higher levels of radiation as a result of a small fuel failure and had prepared to mitigate with filters and ventilation. The mitigation, however, was not as effective as it should have been. As a result, once elevated levels of radiation were detected in the containment building, work was stopped and every precaution was taken to safeguard the workers.

As noted, average worker exposure levels were low—between 0 and 15 millirem. The highest was 25 millirem. For comparison, an X-ray is about 10 millirem; a mammogram is about 30.

Workers in the containment area wear protective clothing as part of routine protective safety requirements. Following the increase in radiation levels, workers removed their protective clothing per routine procedure when they left containment, and they then were monitored.

Follow up monitoring was scheduled as appropriate and the workers were released to go home. The issue was corrected and work was resumed within 12 hours.

A report about the incident from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC’s) resident inspector at Prairie Island was posted Monday (May eighth) on the NRC’s Web site, and it resulted in substantial coverage by the news media. NMC officials say they did not publicize the event earlier because it posed no danger to the public.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:59 by Roll Tide »

Melrose

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2006, 07:37 »
NMC UPDATE

Prairie Island addresses containment issue

May 10, 2006

Prairie Island has been in the news this week because of an incident that occurred last week at the plant. Unit 1 is in the midst of a refueling outage.

As workers were preparing on May 2 for planned work on the Unit 1 steam generators, an inadvertent release of airborne radioactive contaminants into the containment building prompted a halt to work and workers exited the building. Approximately 110 workers in the containment building at the time were exposed to very low doses of radiation; none was contaminated. There was no release outside the building.

NMC officials said plant operators had anticipated higher levels of radiation as a result of a small fuel failure and had prepared to mitigate with filters and ventilation. The mitigation, however, was not as effective as it should have been. As a result, once elevated levels of radiation were detected in the containment building, work was stopped and every precaution was taken to safeguard the workers.

As noted, average worker exposure levels were low—between 0 and 15 millirem. The highest was 25 millirem. For comparison, an X-ray is about 10 millirem; a mammogram is about 30.

Workers in the containment area wear protective clothing as part of routine protective safety requirements. Following the increase in radiation levels, workers removed their protective clothing per routine procedure when they left containment, and they then were monitored.

Follow up monitoring was scheduled as appropriate and the workers were released to go home. The issue was corrected and work was resumed within 12 hours.

A report about the incident from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC’s) resident inspector at Prairie Island was posted Monday (May eighth) on the NRC’s Web site, and it resulted in substantial coverage by the news media. NMC officials say they did not publicize the event earlier because it posed no danger to the public.

Sounds like a routine Outage, hardly fits the term "'incident".  Everytime a valve is breached there's a chance of release of airborne contaminants.
Workers evacuated due to bad air?  Not stated....but did CTMT monitors alarm? If so, then what kind?  Rad or Contam.
110 workers in CTMT were exposed to low levels of radiation.... let's see, this is a PWR, low levels sounds normal.  If they were in CTMT then they would certainly be exposed to radiation, where's the news?
How did OPs plan to mitigate higher levels of radiation with filters and ventilation?  Odd.....
Again, are they talking radiation or contamination?
0-15mRem per dive seems about normal outage work in CTMT.  the highest was 25mRem....WOW...talk about "burn 'em and turn 'em".

Now, really.. sounds like someone reporting the news has no clue what he/she is saying.
If workers actually picked up in excess of 30mRem exposure due to airborne contaminants that would mean that their CTMT was ~12DAC. Hmmm 
I suspect that this is prob the case considering the continued monitoring.

Plant news reps should really better explain situations in order to better educate the public/news.  Maybe more clarity will occur after the mud settles.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 07:41 by Melrose »

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2006, 10:36 »
The clip does sound like a utility attempting to put its' best foot forward. NRC.gov has an interesting article under "Current Events". Look in the archieved section, possibly May 2nd +/- a day. The facts are more clear but the technical aspects, i.e. Radiological Postings, DAC values, and ventilation specifics are not crystal clear. Good luck.
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?