Prarie Island

Above Average
16 (38.1%)
Average
10 (23.8%)
Below Average
16 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Prairie Island  (Read 163466 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Prairie Island
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2006, 03:08 »
Just another shinning example of the outstanding RPM that they have at Prairie Island.  Just wondering who he will blame for this latest mishap?
That's not nice.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2006, 06:07 »
   :o But True ::)  Probably tried to beat their best record for time at midloop again...always a gas :P
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2006, 08:29 »
I would hope the RPM isn't the one determining time at midloop. There is certainly a place for his input into the schedule, but the worst outages I have seen anywhere are with the wrong group dictating the schedule.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2006, 12:16 »
I would hope the RPM isn't the one determining time at midloop. There is certainly a place for his input into the schedule, but the worst outages I have seen anywhere are with the wrong group dictating the schedule.

The point isn't that the RPM dictates the schedule, but rolls over when the schedule presented should be challenged due to radiological concerns, and bad fuel is certainly a concern.  Prairie Island used to be a decent plant until NMC took over, but from a tech point of view it is the same as usual...recover and get the blame for higher ups decisions.

runnindumbass

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2006, 08:33 »
The point isn't that the RPM dictates the schedule, but rolls over when the schedule presented should be challenged due to radiological concerns, and bad fuel is certainly a concern.  Prairie Island used to be a decent plant until NMC took over, but from a tech point of view it is the same as usual...recover and get the blame for higher ups decisions.

RPM dictate the schedule!!! I don't think he even looks at one!! You haven't lived until you've met this guy! :)  He really needs to go back where he came from. There so far behind here anyway and he's just making it worse.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: Prarie Island
« Reply #80 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:31 »
Prairie Island, StagHead is the best!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #81 on: Jul 20, 2006, 02:30 »
i did hear about that incident while it was happening..a friend called me that night and told me people were lined up in containment with numbers on them waiting to get out.niceeeeeeeeeeee..i heard the line went all the way back to the elevator in containment..i know i know ..hearsay..but all the same...< gets out my Big Chief Indian tablet and pencil to scratch PI off my to do list>>>
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #82 on: Jul 20, 2006, 03:20 »
My husband was there too. 

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #83 on: Jul 20, 2006, 11:53 »
ok ok ok i prolly heard it was the stairs...it has been awhile anddddd i was on my own outage at the time  lolol i told you it was hearsay lol..but all in all did it happen like that??

jgpwest

« Reply #84 on: Jul 21, 2006, 07:35 »
I was in one of these lines...it sucked >:(

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #85 on: Jul 21, 2006, 09:25 »
It was the first uptake my husband has ever had.  Was not a good situation at all.

Lorrie

Oly

« Reply #86 on: Jul 27, 2006, 06:12 »
Say it with me: "Duct tape is NOT a fastener"!  :-X

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #87 on: Jul 28, 2006, 12:05 »
ok ok  scince you insist..duct tape is not a fastener..and heyyyyyyyy why you cuttin me out with a chain sawwwwwwwww..lolol lmao

ps.. duct tape IS a good gum holder while ya doin ya 2 in..also..can easily be turned into a makeshift madonnna bra over PC's..not that ive ever done it lololol ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #88 on: Jul 28, 2006, 06:51 »
duct tape can easily be turned into a makeshift madonnna bra over PC's
Don't let INS/Unitec hear you saying that, they hate people that apply duct tape to PC's.

maggie352000

« Reply #89 on: Aug 20, 2006, 10:25 »
 :(  Went for the first time this Spring. I am in no hurry to go back. Sometimes we were thrown into something that we knew nothing about what was going on. Some rude a..holes. Had always heard good stuff. Not now.

Offline arizonie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #90 on: Aug 22, 2006, 04:03 »
i was at the may-june 06 outage also w/ dayshift hp.(fourth trip)

small but great house  hp staff(<15).get ready to hustle.

yes maggie i agree communication needs inprovement.

since  nmc has bid out most of the maint scope to westinghouse and atlantic the sheer number of rad workers has exploded making hp's job harder.

and since it was atlantic rs first trip there the hp returnee rate was much lower than usual.

in the old days things were simpler / smoother.

non rv lodging can be a bit difficult nearby i stayed in lake city 30 miles south.

if your a first timer or jr / 18.1 tech it can be overwhelming sometimes.

i will consider returning....
"JUST WIN BABY"

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #91 on: Aug 22, 2006, 04:13 »
Worked a bunch of outages there in the 70's and early 80's, including what was the world's shortest refueling ( 19 days) in 1978. The techs were all great (all 12 of them) it was THE place to work. The last time there was 1990 and the staff had grown and management was still pretty good. Now all I hear is VERY negative especially since A.J. has retired. It is amazing how things change with time (and management) the good places turn into bad and the bad can be turned around into good places.
For some of us long timers it is especially painfull to hear of the demise of Prairie Island.

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
Re: Prarie Island
« Reply #92 on: Oct 19, 2006, 06:25 »
Heading to PI on the 6th of November, does anyone know of some good lodging in Red Wing? Hastings, even? 
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Japetto

« Reply #93 on: Nov 22, 2006, 10:39 »
Well, they  did it again.  Lost containment ~50 body counts, baselines for everybody, (for those who don't know what that is, PI has friskalls, and they print out what levels it sees, and have a "buffer" if that's not exceeded then they are let out of the RCA)  Everybody is having de' ja' vu! 

Cathy

« Reply #94 on: Nov 23, 2006, 09:22 »
Making and educated GUESS, since I am not there, I would say they probably lifted the head, filled the cavity fast (they do not fill their lower cavity first so you get a nice steaming waterfall effect) and didn't put the cavity cover on. Now, this is just a guess, anybody care to share how it happened?

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
« Reply #95 on: Nov 23, 2006, 09:49 »
Or they started the recirc ventilation before the head was skirted like they have done many times in the past.  The exhaust duct blows right under the head stand.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #96 on: Nov 23, 2006, 10:29 »
Or they lifted the head and passed it right in front of that other ventillation duct again without turning the fan off.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #97 on: Nov 24, 2006, 11:18 »
Ooooohhh ... Close but no cigar. Head was lifted, placed on head stand. Air sample a little while after that was still clean (I ran through the CHARMS Database and confirmed it). Cavity cover didn't go on for a while and in the interum, the upper internals dried out and there was a Cobalt 58 excursion. Only 2 of the body counts showed any Iodine and 1 showed a little Cobalt 60. The average uptake (42 in total) had a CEDE of 4mr or less. Really not as big a deal as it was last time.

Yup ... Cover should have gone on sooner but there were crane availability issues.

Yup ... Should'a kept the upper internals wet.

But then again, I'm playin' Monday Morning Quarterback on this one. I was in my office in the Ivory Tower drinkin' coffee and crunchin' numbers when it went down. I didn't know about it 'til my phone started ringin'. I'm sure the techs in there were doin' their best. Stuff happens. I don't think this should in any way reflect on the prowess of the RP techs workin' in Containment when it happened. They're all a great bunch and deserve a big 'att'a boy right now. We are currently more than 6 Rem under our dose goal for the outage to date and work is on schedule. I made the goal pretty challenging ... 55 Rem total ... and they are beating even that. I give a great deal of the credit for that to the techs, both contract and house, being pretty damn good at what they do. My hat's off to them.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #98 on: Nov 24, 2006, 01:38 »
seems like a lot of wasted resources for a step that should not be missed.
While you can't get around crane "issues"...keeping it wet is a no brainer.
but anyway, let the monday morning QB'ing begin. You'll get better after you get your 1st outage under your belt :P

Japetto

« Reply #99 on: Nov 26, 2006, 08:48 »
Well, the latest and greatest.  They had a total of 5 techs leave due to the way that PI runs business.  Sounds like the ECP may get involved, and there's rumors of talk with the boys with the eagles on their hats.  I guess you can only get away with running things shady for so long before people decide to speak up. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?