Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shipyard STE

Author Topic: Shipyard STE  (Read 9872 times)

taterhead

Shipyard STE
« on: Nov 06, 2006, 04:11 »
Any Shipyard (NAVSEA) Nuclear STE's here?

I have fielded a few PM's from people asking about the job.  All I know is what I have seen working alongside them at the shipyard and onboard ships.

Any info you can share on your position, pay, and benefits is appreciated.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Shipyard STE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2006, 05:34 »
I worked with a guy recently who was an STE at a yard out west. I believe the working level for the job is GS-11 or 12. The salary and bennies info is now found at the same place where one applies, www.fedjobs.gov

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2006, 06:35 »
Thanks, Dave-

Well, to be more specific, the Navy hires using this site:

https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/

The pay band for "Nuclear Engineer" is listed from 27k-120k.

I do believe they start as GS-12's.  Step 1 starts around 55k/yr.

I am not sure if an engineering degree is necessary or if prior Naval Nuclear experience (PPWS/EWS) will suffice.

Charles U Farley

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2006, 05:51 »
I am not sure if an engineering degree is necessary or if prior Naval Nuclear experience (PPWS/EWS) will suffice.

No, a degree is not required, so long as you have the experience.  I've been told that previously qualified EOOW's/EDO's are have a foot in the door.  Not to sure about the EWS's.

A friend and I are weighing our options.  He keeps going back to looking for a STE job at Norfolk Naval. 55k sounds about right, from asking around at work.  I remember being a little dissapointed with that.  But, then again, that is only starting salary.

visserjr

« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2006, 08:18 »
I looked into the STE Jobs in the Norfolk area, and found the pay to be higher at Newport News SY. Far as I know it is a more who you know not actually what on getting in the door there. From what I understand they are looking for at least EWS qual. They use Kelly resource for hiring. If you search the jobs on kelly's site it'll have the STE type job.

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2006, 11:35 »
Here is the Kelly Scientific Resources link for Northrop Grumman Newport News-

http://tinyurl.com/yx23vb

micachu

« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2006, 08:10 »
Northrop Grumman lost a LOT of STE's in 2002-2003 because of the way they treated them during the Enterprise project.  From what I recall it wasn't any better when we went back there in 2004.  I would definitely recommend NNSY for an STE position.  The 55K a year is just the base salary, there's a couple of add-in's similar to BAH/BAS you can tack on to that.  My ex-wife was bringing home 1850 each paycheck as a GS-12 step 1 without any overtime.

baronbrady

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2006, 09:21 »
I've spoken to STE's from both Northrop Grumman Newport News and Norfolk Naval Shipyard.  NGNN has a pretty bad reputation locally, based on how they treat their people.  Speaking to a Shift Test Supervisor at NNSY, he said he left NGNN for NNSY and essentially doubled his paycheck.  I pulled aside a recently hired STEC (STE Candidate), and she said that when she was going through hiring, they required a degree or that you at least have been a Chief in the nuke field.  Speaking to the few STE's at NGNN I know, they said they're hiring any former nukes, regardless of rank.  You wouldn't be a STEC, but you would be the rough equivalent (they have two kinds of 'stec':  MT and ET).  The information above about pay seems right. 
Speaking to a recently-qualified STE about pay and training, he mentioned a lower pay at the beginning, but that it is GS-12 once you qualify.  Qualifying takes anywhere from a year and a half to two years, and is not really based on how quickly you try to get done with it.  You have to wait for various class-ups, etc.
Hope this helps!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?