HB Robinson

Above Average
3 (12.5%)
Average
10 (41.7%)
Below Average
11 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: HB Robinson  (Read 44332 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
HB Robinson
« on: Aug 12, 2001, 02:24 »
If anyone has information for H.B. Robinson, please post it here.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007, 05:05 by honeycomb »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
HB Robinson
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:31 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
H. B. Robinson
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:38 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

jjordan

Re: H. B. Robinson
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2004, 04:12 »
Renae's, formerly known as Hobb's about 2 miles from the plant, usually opens early in the morning for all of the nightshift. we always had a good time there. Food , drinks, pool, darts, and ping pong! This is the epicenter of entertainment for the greater metropolitan Hartsville area! be there!!! :-*
JJ

Magnawake

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2004, 06:53 »
I went to Hartsville last week with my wife to find a place to stay.  We ate lunch at a country cooking Restaurant named "Pam's".  It was 7.10 for the buffet.  That was tax, tea included.   Good food too.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2004, 10:02 »
It is called Carolina Lunch and breakfast is all they serve. Good food and great people that run it. Another good place is The Beacon... kind of pricey but real good food... and of course there is Yogi Bear Honey Fried Chicken... always busy and they have good chicken. When I travel on the road and tell people I am from Hartsville alot of times they will ask if Yogi Bear is still there.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2004, 06:52 »
As far as a quick bite to eat on the go during the outage Cindy's has some very good seafood... flounder, shrimp,scallops, devil crab,etc... and very cheap. Just stopped by there yesterday with my daughter and nephew and got 3 plates for about $17 bucks. It will suprise you how good it is after looking at the place!
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2005, 11:30 by Camella Black »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: HB Robinson
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2004, 06:47 »
No. 04-043 April 19, 2004

NRC RENEWS LICENSE FOR H.B. ROBINSON STEAM ELECTRIC PLANT, UNIT 2, FOR AN ADDITIONAL 20 YEARS

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has renewed the operating license of Unit 2 of the nuclear power facility at the H.B. Robinson Steam Electric Plant, located in Darlington County, S.C., for an additional 20 years. The plant is operated by Carolina Power & Light Company (CP&L).

CP&L submitted its license renewal application to the NRC on June 14, 2002. The renewal extends the license for H.B. Robinson Unit 2 from July 31, 2010, to July 31, 2030.

The NRC’s environmental review is described in a site-specific supplement to the NRC’s “Generic Environmental Impact Statement for License Renewal of Nuclear Power Plants," (NUREG-1437, Supplement 13). In the Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, issued in December 2003, the staff concluded that there were no impacts that would preclude renewal of the license for environmental reasons. Two public meetings to discuss the environmental review were held near the plant on September 25, 2002, and June 25, 2003.

In its “Safety Evaluation Report Related to the License Renewal of H.B. Robinson Steam Electric Plant, Unit 2,” issued in January 2004, the NRC staff concluded that there were no safety concerns that would preclude license renewal, because the licensee had demonstrated the capability to manage the effects of plant aging. In addition, the NRC conducted inspections of the plants to verify information submitted by the licensee. The Safety Evaluation Report is available on the NRC Web site at this address: http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/licensing/renewal/applications/robinson.html.

On March 18, 2004, the Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards -- an independent body of technical experts which advises the Commission -- issued its recommendation that the operating license for H.B. Robinson, Unit 2, be renewed. That recommendation is contained in "Report on the Safety Aspects of the License Renewal Application for the H.B. Robinson Steam Electric Plant, Unit 2." A copy of this document is available on the NRC Web site at this address:
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/acrs/letters/2004/5102069.pdf .

The H.B. Robinson license renewal brings the total number of renewals to 24 units. A complete listing of completed renewal applications, as well as those currently under review, can be found on the NRC’s Web site at this address:
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/licensing/renewal/applications.html.

Thanks to SloGlo for finding this news!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

jjordan

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 06:52 »
Well we are gettig ready to start reload. Things are going pretty well. We are about 1 shift behind. Weather is starting to get hot  (it's about time!)  The ICE CREAM is cold! :P What the HP's don't have any? Wawawa ::) The refuelers have it, wonder why? ::) Should be done around the 18th or so. Will keep ya'll posted!
JJ :-*
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 06:54 by JJordan »

jjordan

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 06:14 »
Just now moving the first stick. Still 1 shift behind. Everything seems to be moving smoothly! ;D
JJ

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 06:45 »
Not much of a improvement over the years, except for the new paint!  Kind of reminds me of a Carnival, you never know what your in for, until you get in the door!  Met a lot of good people there, but most were contractors and shared resources.  If I had to count the quality house mice, I could do it on the fingers of one hand and still have change!  Thank your lucky stars, they only do this once every eighteen months!

No wonder the returnee rate was so low, wonder what it will be next time? 

jjordan

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 04:14 »
OOOPS I lied, things haven't been going smoothly. We lost quite a bit of time on the reload, probably 3-4 days behind. Our group just finished the head retensioning. Well we did OK with that! As far as quality housetechsthey have quite a few, yes there are some bad ones too. :-X Guess what I haven't been anywhere that didn't have a few. I agree the shared resources are excellent, this is because this program is all voluntary, these are the people that want to work. ;D I always look forward to going to our other plants for their outages, being an ex contractor, I like to work outages. Working at power is like watching paint dry. :P Most everyone is gone already and I'm already starting to miss them! Looking forward to Harris this fall, and wouldn't mind doing another plant too if I'm able, anyone out there interested! :-*
JJ
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 03:18 by JJordan »

Magnawake

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 05:27 »
I really enjoyed my outage at Robinson.  I guess I got lucky working in the Aux building.  I heard the stories about the disgruntled night shift.  We had a tight group on day shift.  We helped each other out and used teamwork to get things done.  Nobody ever left the RCA without asking "who else needs help?". The House Supervisor and  House lead tech were very easy to get along with.  The two shared resource people were super as well.  I actually looked forward to showing up for work.  If a Supervisor and lead tech can make an environment where the people under them actually like to work, they have already won the battle (In my opinion).  I dont know what happened on night shift, but the Robinson Managers need to take a close look at the two "night and day" additude differences.  I would certainly like to go back, but I would like to work for the same people as before.  My hat goes off to them.   Thanks for a great outage.   

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 02:02 »
Looks like you may have hit the nail on the head!

Day Shift

Who else needs help?

Night Shift,

Who else can do it?
or
Why Me?
or
That's not my Job!
or
We can't find him/them so you have to do it!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 02:06 by RAD-GHOST »

jjordan

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 09:14 »
Gee guys,m I was on nightshift and we thought we were doing all of the work! ;) Robinson is still down, 21 shifts behind. I hate it for them, we need them up, so we can fix our leak in the D/W at Brunswick!
JJ

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 08:27 »
Sorry to hear the bad news,  I now weep for the few left behind!  Go home JJ, your job is done, go stock the freezer at the house!  After seeing how this place runs, is anyone really surprised? 

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 12:12 »
My ... How things change. Last time I was in Hartsville was circa 1987 I think, and I loved every minute of it. Of course, back then an outage lasted for a couple of months or more and the biz was a different animal. I'm sorry to hear things have gone down hill. There was a time when I would have loved to go house there. At least it wasn't as cold as things are up here as a house mouse (ALARA Coordinator) at P.I.

Floyd Flanigan

radgal

« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2005, 03:58 »
Renae's, formerly known as Hobb's about 2 miles from the plant, usually opens early in the morning for all of the nightshift. we always had a good time there. Food , drinks, pool, darts, and ping pong! This is the epicenter of entertainment for the greater metropolitan Hartsville area! be there!!! :-*
JJ

Hobb's had the coldest beer of any bar i've ever been in.  I worked night shift and they would open at 6:30am, I'd walk in and by the time I walked to the bar in the back my favorite beer was on the bar, ICE COLD.   Had some fun in there!

Jr8black3

« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:39 »
Hey i think the place was cool to work at, other then the dose extensions..i worked with alot of great people down there...If Anybody can put me in touch with Ricky Granthum, that would be cool..I"d go back anyday

jjordan

« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2005, 08:07 »
Ricky is here at Brunswick as a shared resource, I'll give him the message. I've worked more outages there than some of their house techs, and it's like a lot of the rest of the industry, It's what you make of it!!!! ;) I allways have a good time, it's an easy CTMT to work in(watch out for the crane), but a hard AUX Bldg,(you can't get there from here) I'll go back if they'll have me! ;D
JJ

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2006, 08:23 »
A lot of changes in the past few years. All for the best.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

number41

« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2008, 09:03 »
First, let me say that I know that this post is UBER-OLD, but this seems like the right thread to ask, so here goes:  Anybody with an opinion on the management and op's community at Robinson?  I'm from SC and would like to start calling around for jobs in the lower state area.  Thanks in advance.

trouble1

hb robinson reactor operators
« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2008, 04:50 »
what's the story on all of the reactor operator's leaving the site.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2009, 11:31 »
Can anyone give me some information regarding the area?  I would like to know what areas have good housing and good schools.  I've only been to the area once and it was while Jim was working at Robinson.  

Thanks for any and all information.  Feel free to post here, PM me, or email me.

Lorrie  :D
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 11:38 by Lorrie Henson »

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2009, 03:26 »
If you want to stay in Hartsville you would be better off on the west or north side since West Hartsville Elementary, North Hartsville Elementary, and Carolina Elementary are all excellent schools. There are also a couple of magnet schools in the area. Hartsville Middle School is a fairly new facility and also a good school while Hartsville Sr. High is old and not really a place i would want to send my kids. Chesterfield County is close by and they have smaller schools while a lot of people at the plant live in Florence and make the 30 mile ride to work every day. Florence is a bit larger with more places to eat and malls. Hartsville is a very nice little town though with many events scheduled during the year. Go to www.hvtd.com and ask some of the locals about anything you want to know, I know they will be glad to help. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 03:27 by Carolina Jethro »

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 19, 2009, 03:29 »
Thank you CJ and "K" to ya!!!   

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:28 »
Power Reactor Event Number: 47600
Facility: ROBINSON
Region: 2 State: SC
Unit: [2] [ ] [ ]
RX Type: [2] W-3-LP
NRC Notified By: JOSEPH TODD
HQ OPS Officer: STEVE SANDIN  Notification Date: 01/17/2012
Notification Time: 22:35 [ET]
Event Date: 01/17/2012
Event Time: 18:14 [EST]
Last Update Date: 01/17/2012 
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
10 CFR Section:
50.72(b)(2)(i) - PLANT S/D REQD BY TS
 Person (Organization):
DEBORAH SEYMOUR (R2DO)

Unit SCRAM Code RX CRIT Initial PWR Initial RX Mode Current PWR Current RX Mode
2 N Y 85 Power Operation 85 Power Operation

Event Text

UNIT 2 COMMENCED A TECH SPEC REQUIRED SHUTDOWN AFTER DECLARING STATION BATTERY "B" INOPERABLE

"At approximately 1814 hours (EST) on January 17, 2012, H. B. Robinson Steam Electric Plant (HBRSEP), Unit No. 2, personnel confirmed that the Station Battery Performance Capacity Test (Five Year Interval), for station battery 'B' was not completed within its required periodicity plus grace period. Based upon this information, plant Operations personnel declared the 'B' battery inoperable and entered the required action for Improved Technical Specifications (ITS) 3.8.4, Condition 'A', which requires that the DC electrical power subsystem be restored to operable status in 2 hours. At 2014 hours (EST), Operations personnel entered the required action for ITS 3.8.4, Condition 'B' due to required actions and associated completion time for Condition 'A' not met. Condition 'B' requires the unit to be in Mode 3 within 6 hours AND be in Mode 5 within 36 hours.

This report is being made in accordance with 10 CFR 50.72(b)(2)(i) based on the initiation of a plant shutdown required by the Technical Specifications. Following the shutdown, the unit will commence a refueling outage that was originally scheduled to begin at 0000 hours (EST) on January 21, 2012."

The licensee informed the NRC Resident Inspector.

Looks like the party got started a bit early!

Anyone know who the manufacturer was on those batteries? I recall Exide having some issues a few years back...

Offline dea

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2012, 05:17 »
Theree may not be anything wrong with the battery, they just exceeded the surveillance interval and are required to consider it inop until they perform the surveillance.

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:06 »
Incorrect. They have 24 Hours or Up to the Surveillance interval whichever is longer provided they perform a risk assessment and take risk based contingent actions.

Offline dea

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:19 »
Thanks for the clarification, it's been a few years.
 Are they using the Improved Standard Tech Specs?

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:25 »
I'm not sure but even plants that don't are getting that placed in their TS. Along with the "new and improved" TS 3.0.4.

I'm at a plant that uses Old Testament TS and we revised ours a few years ago to include those statements. I cannot wait till we convert to ITS.

Offline dea

• Light User
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:21 »
Anyway, my initial point was that there was nothing physically wrong with the battery, just that it had exceeded the surveillance interval.
Having reread the initial post I noted that they are using ITS.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:08 »

FYI- from our newsletter

In October, an international computer hacker broke into the South Carolina Department of Revenue database and gained access to millions of state income tax returns dating back to 1998.
It included and included unencrypted social security numbers and credit and debit card numbers.

Taxpayers whose information has been compromised will receive a free year of identity protection service provided by Experian and paid for by the state. Anyone who filed a South Carolina tax return from 1998 onward should call 866.578.5422.

From the S. C. Dept. of Revenue website: http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/E5A231EF-8A05-40FE-AA36-17453FF2C795/0/Urgent_New.pdf

South Carolina Residents Should take the following Simple
Steps before January 31st to protect themselves:
› Visit www.protectmyid.com/scdor
› Enter this enrollment code: SCDOR123
› Fill out the information requested
If you don’t have an internet connection,
just call 1-866-578-5422 to begin the enrollment process.

That will put you on the Experian site to sign up for one year of free credit monitoring.

For further information: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,35558.msg167930/topicseen.html#new
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?