Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Modesty Garments and Civilian CLothing
honeypot

Author Topic: Modesty Garments and Civilian CLothing  (Read 17817 times)

South_African

Modesty Garments and Civilian CLothing
« on: Nov 12, 2006, 01:19 »
I am looking for current practices at any nuclear facilities on your use of modesty garments and civilian clothing. I would really appreciate as many repsonses as possible.

What I would like to know is:

Do you allow the use of civilian clothing into your radiological controlled areas? If you could supply reasons why you do or don't I would appreciate it.

Do you allow modesty garments to be worn into contaminated areas without protective coveralls? For instance if the levels of contamination in an area are low - would you still require full dress out - or would modesty garments with booties and gloves suffice.

Do you allow civilian clothing to be worn under contamination protective coveralls? Now by civilian clothing I don't mean a T-shirt - I mean normal street clothing. Some utilities allow street clothing to be worn into there controlled areas - and I am trying to find out how they apply this policy.

I would appreciate and comments you could make on the above questions and any other comments you could make on your utilities clothing policy.

Thanks

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Modesty Garments and Civilian CLothing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 12:40 »
Do you allow the use of civilian clothing into your radiological controlled areas?

Do you allow modesty garments to be worn into contaminated areas without protective coveralls?

Do you allow civilian clothing to be worn under contamination protective coveralls?

1.  Yes, for almost all commercial sites.  I don't work much DOE, but of the two sites I've been at recently, one allowed civilian clothing and the other provided coveralls for the workers.

2.  I'd say about 1/3 of the plants I've been at in the past 5 years have some kind of policy to allow limited work in low contamination areas with modesties.

3.  Can't think of any plant that still 'allows' civilian clothing under PCs...but some aren't real strict about enforcing the policy.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006, 12:48 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2006, 12:55 »
VY allows civilian clothes under PCs - we tried the modesty garment issue, and it was more hassle than it was worth. We are tracking to < 10 personnel contaminations for the year (non-outage year). If you want to wear your own scrub clothes under PCs - that's your choice - they count as civilian clothes if they become contaminated.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:30 »
When I left Fermi in 2005 they still allowed Civilian Clothes under PCs.

Here I wear scrubs, the procedure implies civilian clothes aren't allowed. I've yet to see anyone at my current plant wear anything but scrubs.

Mike

RADBASTARD

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:33 »
I heard all the plants are going to the swim suit "Borat "wore in his movie for modesty garments.That would look sweet!

When I worked in Brazil alot of the workers didn't wear anything under their PC'S.
That was scary
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006, 03:36 by RadBastard »

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:42 »
last time I worked Braidwood the policy was that you provided your own modesty garments and scrubs were not allowed.  I consider my cheap cotton pjs purchased at wally world to be civilian clothing since they were not company issued. 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:49 »

Do you allow the use of civilian clothing into your radiological controlled areas? If you could supply reasons why you do or don't I would appreciate it.

Do you allow modesty garments to be worn into contaminated areas without protective coveralls? For instance if the levels of contamination in an area are low - would you still require full dress out - or would modesty garments with booties and gloves suffice.

Do you allow civilian clothing to be worn under contamination protective coveralls? Now by civilian clothing I don't mean a T-shirt - I mean normal street clothing. Some utilities allow street clothing to be worn into there controlled areas - and I am trying to find out how they apply this policy.

currently on a signment at a private cleanup site my answers are;

yes, civies can be worn beneath anti-c clothing as neither the client nor the companies provide clothing to be worn in excess of prescribed anti-c garb.

we allow civilian clothing to be worn in addition to prescribed anti-c garb.  if the conditions and work load are compatible with booties and gloves with flannel shirts and blue jeans, so be it.  if anti-c are coveralls, hood, shoe covers, glove liners and rubber gloves then the worker wears the appropriate undergarments. if a worker wants to wear scrubs instead of clothing, that is his choice, dress out facilities are limited as they must be incorporated into the general containment of an area as our work space is in the middle of the site.  the radcon philosophy at this site is of an engineering approach first, prophylactic second.  our personnel contamination incident rate is extremely low and is exit monitored via frisk and portal monitor follow up.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

alphadude

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:36 »
for IH purposes it is generally not a good idea to allow clothes worn to the house to be worn in a contamination area. Besides rad, there are metals, chemical, air borne dusts etc that a person can bring home to the young ones. work clothes should always be washed separate. I have had several incidents where work pants "dissolve" after being washed. (nuke plant clothes) they were not "rad contaminated" but more than likely had some process chemical that could not be identified on them. Naturally, work shoes are the worst and should be kept out of the house. Office environment clothing is another issue- not a lot of problems there unless the site is typically dirty.

South_African

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:17 »
Thanks to all who have responded to my query. The information is really helpful and I cannot even tell you how much I appreciate the feedback. It really is difficult to gather this type of information when you are sitting in South Africa. And this feedback really helps - I would really appreciate more feedback on this topic. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2006, 11:58 by South African »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:56 »
An exception to the modesty requirements: company provided uniforms can be worn in lieu of modesty garb under full dress-out. It is a stupid rule, since Fire Retardent clothing is $100+ for one set, and scrubs are under $10.

I have also seen some rather nasty plants require scrubs outside contamination zones. Shouldn't be that way at the South African plant, based on what I have heard.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline nukedog

• Moderate User
  • Look at the head on that thing!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:30 »
I personnally used the double scrub dress out under my PCs at Browns Ferry drywell, it was the only way I could get out.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2006, 04:33 »
for IH purposes it is generally not a good idea to allow clothes worn to the house to be worn in a contamination area. Besides rad, there are metals, chemical, air borne dusts etc that a person can bring home to the young ones. work clothes should always be washed separate. I have had several incidents where work pants "dissolve" after being washed. (nuke plant clothes) they were not "rad contaminated" but more than likely had some process chemical that could not be identified on them. Naturally, work shoes are the worst and should be kept out of the house. Office environment clothing is another issue- not a lot of problems there unless the site is typically dirty.

places like this should have change rooms with lockable storage for all working people.  if there are process chemical exposure problems at a nuke plant, then i would shudder to think of the skin exposure problems that are being overlooked.  i think osha has a special phone for problems like this.
with a quality program 'n quality people, there are many combinations of personal, modesty, and prophylatic clothing that can be employed.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2006, 04:40 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?