Shearon Harris

Above Average
15 (48.4%)
Average
9 (29%)
Below Average
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Shearon Harris  (Read 48735 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Shearon Harris
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 07:39 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007, 10:36 by honeycomb »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Shearon Harris
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2002, 05:38 »
Great food at El Rodeo (numerous locations in Triangle)...also a really good Philly Cheese Steak at Zero's in Durham.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

nealo

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2002, 09:06 »
I stayed at The Park in Cary and we enjoyed our stay considerably better than we did in Raleigh or Sanford. Buffalo must have stayed in one of the newer holes in Sanford at the Palomino.  They were nasty and rude to us on our first "fly-over" at Harris.  Again, The Park in Cary is THE place to be.  It is clean, very nice, and the folks are helpful whenever the outage starts to end and all your buds begin to leave, they'll find you something smaller and more affordable by yourself.  I know of one occasion, they adjusted the rent because a man was left by himself for a couple of weeks and they wanted to take care of him because he was such a good customer...

Haz-Mater

Re: Talk About: Shearon Harris
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2003, 06:19 »
I was there when Bartlett took over the contract from ARC in 1992.  It was a great place to work, and the house HPs were great also.

biloxi_blues

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2003, 09:12 »
The area is great the house people are nice, but we were called ranked amateurs (and on memo) by the rpm on the first day of the sg replacement.   It aint no Brunswick, when it comes to hospitality, but it is not bad.  They shutdown this friday for a three week outage.

biloxi_blues

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 04:44 »
Seemed to be a good outage for all, unless you were a aux. building routine tech.   The area and house people were real nice as was the cordinator.  Even the rpm lighten up.  The feasts were good espicially the chicken.  One drawback was the length  20 something days.   Take the shift , whatever that means

jjordan

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 08:19 »
BB you're right, it's no Brunswick! ;) The refuel Team had plenty of Ice Cream! Imagine That! ;D
JJ

biloxi_blues

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 01:33 »
Yeah and you guys wouldnt even share with us , whats up with that?  We did have a good group on nights techs and supervisors except for those sitters I mean rovers.  Take care JJ

RADBASTARD

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 08:37 »
Hey biloxi did you guys move up from being ranked amateurs this time?

biloxi_blues

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 10:38 »
Yep we were above the rank amateur status we didnt have any real mistakes as hps, but we did have a couple of people tear open a contaminated valve in a CA with their street clothes on.  We were actually getting kudos doing the generator work, but I did have a group of people carrying me.  And believe it or not I was actually on the platform and not by the camera.  I might have been considered an "C" tech here.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 06:55 »
I am finding it hard to believe that a group of techs could carry you as you were the backbone of the entire generator crew.  I did not get the chance to say good bye when you left, it was that inside containment thing, but I hope to see you again (here at Harris, of course).  Since there is no generator work next outage, I will nominate you for an Outage management position.

later
Is it time for coffee yet?

thx113823

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2003, 04:00 »
How are the Ex-FPL'ers doing up there at
Harris?

biloxi_blues

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2003, 08:58 »
YOu know how those union people are, no the FPL that work with us was good and he brought a lot of different types of food.  I cant speak for the rest of them, but for some dumb reason are whole group got along even with that mean supervisor FPL sent.  We learned how to hook  up 300k hepa hoses (I hope you checked the storage area after we left duke).  Instead  of outage manager I think I will do decon.  Take care duke and hopefully you will get that better office space.

thx113823

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2003, 09:56 »
Can't be all bad if they bring food  ;D

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Shearon Harris
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:41 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2005, 11:27 »
Worked the last outage at Harris and enjoyed the people. Hated the Ralieigh traffic. Now if Progress Energy could just make some progress towards increasing the pay rates they would get more than the locals to return. Remember " If you PAY WELL they WILL come back"

Old HP

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:20 »
Clean plant ran by good folks, need I say more.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

rapidray

« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2006, 11:44 »
hey spanky

u doin alright?

rapidray

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2006, 05:05 »
Not bad Ray. How's the world treating you?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Kretgar

Harris Nuke Plant Employment
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2007, 03:13 »
Looking for information on working at Harris Nuke Plant (Aux operator position).  I'm scheduled for an interview and wondered what the positives/negatives were from a current/former  operator's standpoint.

Thanks.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2007, 01:30 »
What exactly would you like to know?  Ops works 12 hour rotating shifts.  If you are coming in as an NLO you get the classes and training. quals, blah, blah, blah.  You will have to qualify for the Fire Brigade, usually massive amounts of overtime.  Our operators are a great group, we usually have a new class start every 18 months or so.

It is not a bad gig for freshly discharged squids or newly minted engineering types. Once you figure out the righty tighty lefty loosy thing you should do OK.  Pay is OK, you get more as you progress in your quals.....

Essentially the same deal as everywhere else that I know of.

Got more specific questions that that?  PM me...
Is it time for coffee yet?

number41

HARRIS CONTACT INFO
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2008, 02:45 »
Anybody have good contact info for Harris' Op's manager or HR manager?  Any leads would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

ddklbl

Re: HARRIS CONTACT INFO
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:44 »
Are you still at NPTU?  The Fleet and Family Service Center in Charleston, assuming the NY one is the same, had a power plant phone book, so to speak, in their TAPs/Job office.  I don't know if it would be worth looking into.  Of course, I don't remember the exact name of the book, but it had the physical address for each plant, and phone numbers and mailing addresses for several of the higher ups. 

number41

« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:23 »
Yep, still here for the next couple of months  I didn't realize FFSC might have that.  I'll try giving Tom a call to see what he might know.  Thanks dd.

jjordan

« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:43 »
If you guys are looking for work, you need to apply online. Progress is needing Operators and Engineers real bad at all 4 sites. Shearon Harris, H. B. Robinson in Hartsville SC, Crystal River 3 in Crystal River FL, and Brunswick in Southport NC. Heres the link.
Hope to see Yall!
JJ 8)

http://www.progress-energy.com/aboutus/employment/postings/jobs.asp

BuckyNuke

« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:53 »
HNP is hiring 12 more operators to start in June/July. Interviews are going on now. Get your resumes in.

We just hired 12 in February, 8 last August, and then my class of 13 in January of 2001.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2008, 04:29 »
Yah ive put in on the website for all those sites at least twice so they know im serious, but havent heard anything yet.  Hope they call me.  Im ex hp do you think that qualifies for something?

Offline thompson63

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #27 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:38 »
I was a HP house tech, chemistry tech and primary chemistry supervisor from 1992 - 2000.  Shearon Harris was a great place to work including HP, chemistry and operations.  I made the decision to leave so I could move back to Alabama and care for my mom.  If  my Mom had not became ill, I would still be there.  As mentioned in previous posts, when I was there the overtime was unlimited.  Again a great place to work and a great area to raise a family.

harrispb

Progress Energy ( Salary)
« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:39 »
I am currently seeking a job with Progress Energy at the Harris plant. Does anyone have a salary range for a chemistry tech?

Hereinnc

Re: Progress Energy ( Salary)
« Reply #29 on: Jul 29, 2008, 10:16 »
That depends on a lot of things (i.e., education, experience).  A house chem tech can make anywhere from 27 to 35 per hour and this of course varies from locale to locale.

fij

shearon harris plant
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:37 »
Hello everyone,javascript:void(0);

i have read though many threads on pay and rotating shift. sorry if anyone thinks i should use the search method. i am an ET1 been in for 5 years, will be out in November.  will have the thomas edison degree when i get out. i am looking into the Shearon harris plant. am trying to find out if there is a difference between a nlo with a degree or not there. what is the starting base pay? what is the rotating shift that they implement? i don't believe that i would accept an instant SRO (in seems alot of people believe that they are set up for failure) position but i am curious if they do that. i have looked on the website and didn't see much for entry level positions. is there a freeze on hiring? does anyone know how i should go about applying if there wasn't a posting on their website? any information on shearon harris would be great. i am not limiting myself to just shearon harris, but i just like to be well informed.     

thanks   

fij

NukeNub

« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:03 »
First off, if you are offered SRO class, take it, be humble, and work your tail off. That should dissuade anyone from thinking you are not worthy of the chance. Its your career.

I just applied to Harris for an upcoming NLO position. I was told that Brunswick NLO class is filled. Crystal is hiring for an Assistant Aux Operator which I was told was a lower position than Aux Operator-C, however the position descriptions read about the same.

I'll PM you a link that may help get you to a progress recruiter.

Sincerely,

Nub

harrispb

I hope someone can help.
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:01 »
I am an ex Enterprise ELT and I really want to work at the plant. I was hoping the right people see that I applied for the AUX Op job... or someone knows the right people. Does anyone have the inside info on how many they are hiring and when they are going to start. Thanks.

number41

« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:45 »
I work for Progress down at Brunswick, and from looking at our job postings, yes we are hiring NLO/AO's; we're hiring new AO's pretty much constantly.  Actually, our Ops Manager just told me that we are going to have a new AO class at least yearly, so I'm sure Harris is in the same boat.  I think the rush on instant SRO's is pretty much over for us (at least for a while.)  The people I know at Harris are easy going and good to work with; in fact I almost went there, but I couldn't resist living 3 miles from the beach.  Keep hitting the Progress website and stay apprised of openings.  That's the best advice I can give.  Eventually someone should give you a call if you are competitive.  Don't be surprised if it takes a little while.  Human Resources runs alot of the recruiting, and they typically aren't in tune with how important it is to scoop up good operators.  And NukeNub's advice is spot on: if someone offers you an SRO spot, don't say no.  From what I've seen, they wouldn't offer you that spot if they didn't think you could make it.  Also, we've had a few people drop out of license class for various reasons and they are still at the site working as AO's or maintenance guys. 

KKsPaPa

« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:44 »
I currently live in Garner NC and am working in the mid-west.  Since the Enron incident which I am a victim, I have been seeking an in-house non-ops training position at Shearon Harris.  I am almost 62 years old and have a very strong SAT based training background.  Can anyone provide me with some information on the situation at Harris.  I have submitted numerous resumes and have filled out applications but to no avail.  Knowing that no companies age discriminate, HaHa, could someone provide me with some insight at Harris.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:24 »
Yah I applied for the operator job as well.  Took the POSS test for southern company and passed with no problem.  I live in Augusta GA and hope that is not a detering factor when they look at my application.  Lived in Raleigh for a few years when my dad worked at Harris, and loved it.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009, 02:26 by B.PRESGROVE »

number41

« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:18 »
I'd say to keep up with the job postings online and follow up on your resume's online.  That's how I got hired at BNP.

Fahrenschnell

« Reply #37 on: Mar 21, 2010, 08:25 »
I am very interested in an NLO position at this plant.  Does anyone know if they are still looking for people to hire for the August Class?

Thank you.

mtr1514

« Reply #38 on: Mar 22, 2010, 11:20 »
They are now just calling people in for the test/interview for the August position.  Does anyone know if the Harris plant offers a pay wage increase after qualification?

mtr1514

Harris Plant contact info.
« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2010, 08:30 »
Anybody have Harris plant Operations Manager contact information?  Or perhaps anyone in Operations there that I can PM?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?