Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Lisa Rennhack

Author Topic: Lisa Rennhack  (Read 55754 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Lisa Rennhack
« on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:21 »
I don’t often post a lot of information about my family on the website for obvious reasons.  I did announce my wedding, and the birth of my first child.  I’ve also shared pictures in the member’s gallery of my family.

I will once again share with you a little about my family.  My daughter Lisa is deaf.  She is about 19 months old. We have known that she was deaf since she was about 5 months old.  We (mostly her mother, as I have been on the road) have fought with the doctors and the insurance companies, and more doctors, and other red tape for over a year in the hopes of getting Lisa a cochlear implant.  It turns out that Lisa has bilateral cochlear aplasia (both cochlea’s missing) and bilateral vestibular displasia (both vestibules present but severely deformed).  Lisa is missing one and perhaps both of her balance nerves.  Lisa’s cochlear matter is completely missing and the vestibules are small and deformed on both sides.  The right side is slightly larger than the left and at this point, The Dr.’s do not feel comfortable attempting to implant the left side.  Perhaps as technology advances and the devices become smaller, it will be a possibility.

The cochlear implant would actually be wired up to her sole auditory nerve, sending pulses directly to her brain.  The cochlear implant is an electronic device that will restore partial hearing for Lisa. It is surgically implanted in her inner ear and activated by a device worn outside her ear. Unlike a hearing aid, it does not make sound louder or clearer. Instead, the device bypasses damaged parts of Lisa’s auditory system and converts speech and environmental sounds into electrical signals and sends these signals to Lisa’s auditory nerve, allowing Lisa to receive sound. The implant consists of a small electronic device, which is surgically implanted under the skin behind the ear and an external speech processor, which is usually worn on a belt or in a pocket. A microphone is worn outside Lisa’s body as a headpiece behind her ear to capture incoming sound. The speech processor translates the sound into distinctive electrical signals. These 'codes' travel up a thin cable to the headpiece and are transmitted across the skin via radio waves to the implanted electrodes in her auditory nerve. The electrodes’ signals stimulate the auditory nerve fibers to send information to the brain where it is interpreted as meaningful sound.

The cochlear implant does not reproduce sound as a hearing person perceives it, but it allows enough hearing that, with proper training, Lisa should greatly benefit by it. The typical person who knows nothing about deafness or the deaf world, often see the cochlear implant as a miracle technology that will give their children their hearing, which it won't.

Lisa’s implant surgery will be performed under general anesthesia and should last from four to six hours. An incision is made behind her ear to open the mastoid bone leading to her middle ear. The procedure may be done as an outpatient, or may require her to stay in the hospital, overnight or for several days.

About one month after surgery, we will have to return to the surgery center where they will place the signal processor, microphone, and implant transmitter outside her ear and adjusts them. They will teach us how to look after the system and teach Lisa how to listen to sound through the implant. We will then need to return to the surgery center for regular checkups and readjustment of the speech processor as needed.

Cochlear implants do not restore normal hearing, and benefits vary from one individual to another. Most users find that cochlear implants help them communicate better through improved lip-reading, and over half are able to discriminate speech without the use of visual cues.  Lisa is expected to get 30% hearing in one ear, as a best case scenario.

More expensive than a hearing aid, the total cost of a cochlear implant including evaluation, surgery, the device, and rehabilitation is around $40,000.

For more information, visit this site: http://www.medel.com/ENG/US/10_Understanding_CI/000_ci_intro.asp

Here is the news:  After over a year of fighting for her, we finally have a surgery date.  December 12th, 2006.

Those of you that are religious, please say a prayer for Lisa.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Lisa Rennhack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:51 »
Lorie and I will keep her in our prayers and thoughts.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2006, 02:00 »
goodluck and Godbless

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2006, 02:42 »

Here is the news:  After over a year of fighting for her, we finally have a surgery date.  December 12th, 2006.

Those of you that are religious, please say a prayer for Lisa.

You've got it my friend. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

vikingfan

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:07 »
     Mike,
may allof your friends here on the site and those of us that have worked with you in the past extend to you and your family our thoughts and prayers as your daughter progresses with her surgery.

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:29 »
The prayer will be put in the church daily basket. Good Luck, Lisa!
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:00 »
Me and my family will be thinking and praying for her and your family. 
Hope all goes well.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:24 »
Even those of us who aren't particularly religious will keep her and your family in our thoughts...
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline KEVIO

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:41 »
Mike,
  I just read your post and I'm sorry to hear about the struggle that you and your family have been going through.
  Me and my family will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:49 »
Mike,
The prayers of my family are being sent on behalf of you and your family.
I know this has not been an easy decision, but we pray for your peace so that you can enjoy your daughter during this difficult time.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006, 04:50 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2006, 05:53 »
Let me add a prayer and let you know that as I read your post I am not ashamed to admit that I felt tears in my eyes.  Not tears of sadness or sorrow for the hardships you and your family have face but rather the tears that come from the swelling of joy I can feel toward the love and effort you have obviously put into making this happen!  For all that we do in life it is when we do thing from love that we do them best.

You, through your efforts here, have I am sure brought much into many lives.  Thank you yet once again for sharing with us in this different way, your love shhould inspire us all to think about being just a little better human every day

God Bless Lisa and the rest of your family and please let us know how thing go

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2006, 05:58 »
what you have done with this site means much to many...god bless you and your family...

nukewood

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2006, 06:29 »
The fervent effectual prayer of a righteous man or woman availeth much. Will be praying for a good report.Hang in there.

roadhard

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2006, 06:46 »
Mike - 12/6/2006 "The Day of Body Language" - karmically good sign - when you get an op time - post it.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:21 »
A prayer for Lisa and for you also my friend, may God watch over Lisa's surgery and recovery.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:27 »
Mike, I will also put Lisa and your family in our prayer list. God does wonderful things and you have to have the faith that he will guide the doctors and Lisa through this procedure. God Bless and hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline llamagramma

• FSS SR RP Tech/ Decomissioning
  • Light User
  • Have you kissed a Llama lately?
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:29 »
Mike, Since working with you I know that you love that little girl so much. You'd be showing me the newest photos on your desk or computer whenever I went in the office! I couldn't get my papers until I looked at all  of the photos, and heard a story or two.   You get on that plane for home and have a Happy Thanksgiving week with Lisa and Kathy!  Marty & I and our family will be praying for the best for Lisa and  for Kathy & you. Sharon

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:46 »
Mike,
I wish you and your family the best and prayers during this time. There is nothing harder that watching/helping a child through surgery, a hospital stay, or just getting poked and prodded by the Dr's and nurses.
Just remember that you and your wife ned to support each other as much as you need to support your little one. And remmeber to take a break for yourselves every once in a while, even if it is going to McDonald's to get a burger.

Dan_E.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2006, 02:10 »
Mike
Thanks for sharing the news with all of us and giving us the chance to do you a favor after all that you have done for us.
As Carolina Jethro has said, prayers will be sent for Lisa and her family, and to guide the surgeon's hands and intuition in his work.
Keep the faith and know that even if things do not come out as you expect, it will be right in the end.

workinman

« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:50 »
Mike, you and your family are in my prayers and I will add Lisa to the prayer chain.  May God bless you and your family and hold you near during these trying times! 
                                                                                                             PK

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2006, 08:09 »
Even those of us who aren't particularly religious will keep her and your family in our thoughts...

Mike said it for me and all I can say is Amen.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:16 »
Mike,

I will be keeping your family in my thoughts.  It has to be a good day for the procedure, it's my youngest sons birthday on the 12th.
Best of luck and know that people care.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline Laning

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:41 »
Mikey,

Its hard to believe that after so many conversations, visits to your home, card games, etc...I never had a clue you were going through something like this. I've never once heard you complain..amazing. Many would be consumed by their anger...overwhelmed by the unfairness of it all. Life is full of ups and downs, happiness and tragedy. Bad things happen to everyone, but how we deal with it says alot about who we really are. You're a much better man than I ever knew. Thanks for the reminder of what Thanksgiving is actually about. I won't be praying for your family since thats against MY religion (I'm a heathen!), but after I hug my kids tonight, I'm gonna tell them about my friend Mike's little girl so they understand how much they have to be thankful for.

Hang in there Dude!!

Eric
If you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2006, 10:06 »
Mike, somewhere I once read that special chidren are born to special people. I have always held that in my heart as not only was our oldest daughter born blind in one eye, but as most of you know her daughter, Dorie has the same birth defect and is blind in one eye and sight impaired in the other.

I know the worry, stress and yes anger that you both have felt, and I feel it for you now. Without doubt there are a lot of prayers heading upwards for your family and my family will certainly join in and pray for you all.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2006, 03:40 »
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Rennhack:

Christmas reminds us of the joy and wonder of miracles. I too pray that the miracle of hearing her first sound will soon be visited upon your daughter Lisa. May God Bless each of you.

Sincerely,

Michael E. McConnell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?