Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Lisa Rennhack

Author Topic: Lisa Rennhack  (Read 55819 times)

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Lisa Rennhack
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:33 »
that is wonderful news..what a great beginning to the new year !!!!!! :)
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2006, 10:31 »
Yesterday Lisa's implant was tested.  It's working perfectly, so the turn on and results should be good.

Now we are starting the long road to pushing them to implant the other side.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2007, 11:01 »
My wife just informed me that Lisa's hearing will be turned on Jan 10th.

We're looking forward to that picture of her face when she hears for the first time Mike and we're keeping ya'll in our prayers.   ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007, 12:18 by Marlin »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:02 »
She cried, not much of a picture.  She hasn't gotten used to it yet.  It is a bit overwhelming.

I'll keep you posted.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:39 »
She cried, not much of a picture.  She hasn't gotten used to it yet.  It is a bit overwhelming.

I'll keep you posted.

:)  i kin only imagine how loud the world would seem after not having a clear audio input for your life.  sum times ya gotta realize that tears are a necessary part of life.  tell her that i still ain't used to everything i hear, 'n i got a cupla years on her.  still keeping her 'n yinz in prayer.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:43 »
What he said, OK maybe not quite as smoothly as Slo said it.   ;)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:15 »
Turns out they were stimulating the wrong nerves, and it was causing her pain, not hearing.  Everytime she cried, it responded with electroshocks.  This caused a cycle where she would cry, recieve pain, cry more, recieve more pain... Lisa cried so hard once that she threw up.

We took her back today, and had them turn off the first 4 electrodes of the 22 in the array.  I'll take her back next week for some more fine tuning.  I'm about to post some more technical details for everyone.  And pictures.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007, 01:24 by Rennhack »

cbramsey

« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:11 »
I have come to the realization that doctors practice medicine..... until they get it right.  Lord knows, they have practiced enough on me.

Best of luck with the fine tuning.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:33 »
Lisa and your family continues to be in our prayers. I have seen the Lord work some amazing miracles in the past year and have the faith that he will do the same with Lisa. Best of Luck!   

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:40 »
She is good now, she doesn’t cry when the magnet is attached to her head, she claps (which means “It’s Good”.)

I personally feel so much better.

I took her to toys -r- us tonight and got her a xylophone.  (While we were there, she also found a little ball her size that she liked... and I found this totally cool bubble maker that makes like 5,000 bubbles a minute... which I bought... it should be real fun this summer.)  She also liked a Dora doll. But I figured she had enough dolls and bears.

NOW Lisa is ok.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007, 08:46 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:44 »
Three weeks after the surgery, the audiologist tested Lisa’s implant.

Animations that help us understand:
http://www.cochlear.co.uk/Experience/809.asp

Actual product Lisa has:
http://www.cochlear.co.uk/Products/447.asp

"MAPping" is a term used by audiologists to describe how they have set the speech processor of a cochlear implant to provide sound to Lisa.  Lisa went for her first MAPping appointment 4 weeks after surgery (Jan 10th). This is the first time that Lisa heard sound through the cochlear implant.
Lisa wears the device, and it is connected to the audiologist's computer. This tells the audiologist how the electrodes in Lisa's inner ear are working. Lisa and the audiologist now work together to set the sound levels presented to each electrode within the cochlea (inner ear).
Even children who have had a lot of experience with sound may have trouble at the beginning of this first MAPping. Because the sound/sensation may be so new, Lisa may not recognize it as the sound she should be responding to. The audiologist will watch Lisa's face to see if the signal is being heard. Some signals might be quieting, focusing their eyes, tensing their brow, needing a hug from mom.

Imagine the internal part of the cochlear implant as a coil with a string of electrodes. In fact, it is sort of like an electric organ keyboard. The audiologist has to set each electrode to play a particular note loud enough for Lisa to hear and to make sure it is never too loud.
The softest level for Lisa to hear is called the T level (threshold level) and the upper level is the C level (comfort level). The T and C levels are different for Lisa. The audiologist sets these levels over several sessions. The way that a particular speech processor is set for a particular child is called his/her "MAP".
Lisa on her first day of MAPping may not yet be used to hearing, and T levels will likely change over the first few sessions. The new sound may also be overwhelming and C levels may be reduced and increased gradually over the first few sessions. Over the first year Lisa's MAP will be fine tuned and monitored for any changes.
Parents and therapists tell the audiologist how Lisa is hearing, to help the audiologist adjust Lisa's MAP.  Some typical things to look for include Lisa complaining of sounds being too soft or too loud, unclear speech, and decreased listening distance for the softer sounds of speech.
When Lisa passes her first year with the cochlear implant, her MAP becomes relatively more stable. Children usually only return every 6 months for a MAP, after they have had the implant for one year.
The first day of MAPping is sometimes not as exciting as anticipated. This first MAP may be conservative so that Lisa can get used to the new sounds. New sounds usually have no meaning to Lisa at first. Lisa requires many experiences with sounds before they start to have meaning.  There may not be many observable differences in Lisa after the first day of MAPping, but the new potential through hearing makes this an exciting moment for each family.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:52 »
way cool, mike!   glad to hear they got the tears to stop.  betcha yinz gots a gazillion night time stories to tell, huh?  have a good time telling them.   :)

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:28 »
awwwww..... she is so cute and sounds like dad is gonna spoil her rotten! That is the best thing about being a dad! Great news!

raymcginnis

« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:53 »
Oh wow Mike.  Thanks for sharing the photos.  The Lisa gallery is spectacular.  The recent photos made me cry with Lisa, but also gave me hope, when I saw her life in context (gallery from beginning to end).  I just shared the gallery link with my prayer group, who have been praying for Lisa ever since you shared this with us all.  I loved going from "in the womb" with Lisa up until now ( gallery backwards).  I always knew that you were an fantastic nature photographer, but your people photography skills, including self-potrait made me stand up and notice.  Your use of the new javascript photo presentation technique was rapid.  How did you do that so fast for 193 photos, in just a few weeks?

Prayer for Lisa is ongoing.

RNN

« Reply #64 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:13 »
Glad to hear the doctors figured out she had a problem and fixed it so she's not in pain any more. Your daughter is a real cutie and your a blessed man to have her (which you already know :).

You and your family are still in my prayers.

RNN

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2007, 01:32 »
The my daughter Lisa is doing well.  She turned 2 on April 28th.  Her implant was turned on in the middle of January, and she is just now really starting to get it.  She made her first "oh" sound, which we consider a major milestone.  Until now, she only made the "Ah" sound, which she has been making even without the implant. 

Here are some pictures:
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails-222.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:00 by Rennhack »

navytwinmom

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2007, 01:52 »
That is so great to hear…I have been wondering how she was doing. I have a cousin that is older than I am (and I was on the planning commission for dirt  :-X) and is deaf...back then there was not such thing as implants or even good hearing aids and not much education for parents.  I know there are all sorts of opinions about to implant or not but as a parent we can only do 100% by our kids and it is wonderful there are at least more options than there were for my cousin.

RNN

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2007, 08:34 »
That is super news Mike! and she is a Little Cutie  ;D

You and your family will continue to be in my prayers

RNN

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2007, 09:26 »
excellent.  excellent!!!!!

Offline TE

• Light User
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2007, 03:13 »
I'm so happy for you & your family Mike. Lisa is a precious little girl. God Bless.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #70 on: Aug 24, 2007, 09:19 »
How is Lisa doing?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Aug 25, 2007, 12:12 »
Lisa is doing well.  She is starting to respond to sound and babble a little.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #72 on: Aug 25, 2007, 10:22 »
very good!  very, very good!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #73 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:39 »
1 year later...

Well, it’s been 1 year, so an update is in order.

Lisa had another surgery yesterday, to have the other ear (right) implanted with another cochlear device, in the hopes of her having hearing in both ears.  The Dr. learned her unique anatomy last time, and had no major 'near death' complications this time.  She is back home and recovering.

The first ear (her left) has been turned on for 11 months, and at its 'fully on' setting for 10 months.  At her last hearing testing Lisa passed (that’s what her mother says, I wasn’t there… on the road working and all).  Lisa is doing a lot of vowel chatting, and is doing well according to her speech therapist.

That’s the annual update, see you next ear… err year… she is out of ears to do.

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #74 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:16 »
Last I heard the right ear may not be operable, I'm very glad to hear that was not the case. Hopefully she won't experience the same trama she experienced on the last one when it was turned on.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?