Braidwood

Above Average
12 (33.3%)
Average
8 (22.2%)
Below Average
16 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Braidwood  (Read 43338 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Braidwood
« on: Aug 12, 2001, 02:28 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007, 12:40 by Camella Black »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Braidwood
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:18 »
Talk About: Braidwood

Pet_Cow

Re: Rate Braidwood
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2002, 09:00 »
Braidwood- butthead techs. Remember to use the union bathrooms whenever possible when there.

Doc_REM

Re: Talk About: Braidwood
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2003, 10:52 »
O.K. whays the scoop on Braidwood?
Anybody know anything about the Plant, the staff, working conditions, and lodging in the area?

High_Rad_Drifter

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2003, 11:05 »
Short outages, union/mgmt friction, and expensive hotels come to mind.

radgal

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2003, 02:44 »
I worked the SGRP and other outages.  It certainly wasn't the worst plant to work at but it is still Exelon(Comed).  Union/ contractor friction but management seem to like the contractors well enough at least on HP side.  Outages are short, 3 weeks for techs, but money is good.  Rent a room or place in Morris its not to bad.  Lived there awhile.

DainJer

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2003, 04:51 »
Contractor/Management friction is a way of life anytime you get within 60 miles of chicago.  Braidwood, from the Union side usually runs smoother than Dresden or LaSalle, but that isn't saying much :)  Plus they are trying to match the Byron outage length's since Braidwood is the sister plant to Byron.
the last outage at Byron went 17 days from shutdown to spin up. Although they had a minor turbine problem and shutdown again after a day online, to replace some parts.

duke99301

Re: Braidwood
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2004, 12:18 »
go to the Boat and shake the dice!

radgal

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2005, 04:01 »
Wendel's is the place to hang out.

spookeynuke5

I need some information
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2005, 10:53 »
I was just contacted by Exelon about going to Braidwood for an interview.  I am very interested in working for them.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the surrounding areas and where the people that work at the plant actually live and what areas are good and what areas are not so good.  If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.  I will take all comments and criticisms.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2005, 11:55 »
The plant is in a quaint little town also named Braidwood.  If you looked forever, you couldn't find a better example of a small midwestern town.  Corn and High School Football are king.  You'd be straight down the interstate from Joliet and Chicago.  The trip is around 20 minutes and 60 minutes respectively - depending on traffic and weather.  There is so much housing going into the area that my info is obsolete.  There was a boom of new home construction that is probably still going on.
It is the kind of place where you could raise kids for sure.  Everywhere around has that small town environment, but you're only a short drive from America's Second City.  So, even though you won't find a Starbucks on every corner (or any corner at all) you won't be starved for cultural events, sports, shopping, or night clubs.  You'll just have to go a little ways to get to them.  By the same token, you are a good hour or more away from traffic jams, street violence, and all the stuff that makes a "bad neighborhood".
Beware, however, the Illinois drivers.  They pass on the right, make right-on-red turns without stopping, pull out into traffic... etc.  It takes a while to get used to them. 
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

spookeynuke5

« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2005, 01:37 »
The braidwood area sounds exactly like where I live now.  Thanks for all the info

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2006, 05:20 »
Are there any Braidwood operator or training types here?

duke99301

« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2006, 08:08 »
Briadwood was cool in the 90's we were doing Steam gennys for numanco, and  it was a fun outage to work at. there was some good people there one of the Alara guys Mike Benson I ahd 1st meet him there god bless him. I rember going into kevins Corners suday night before the report day and ran into old road techs there. we  even made time to go to a bears game that year BRR. good place to work and one year we had Jr tech who was an FOB go house there as an operator. I am told he moved on. but at times we all do.

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2006, 04:29 »

LaFeet

« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2006, 11:14 »
Sure am glad I did not take their job offer seriously

ranger2

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2006, 06:08 »
Braidwood operator type here. Absolutely love my job. Pay is good, people are good, location is good, and its a great plant.

Don't believe everything you read. Exelon has deep pockets and the locals know it.

Fact is only one local well tested positive for tritium and it was significantly below the EPA limit. Another useful fact...drinking a half gallon of water containing the EPA limit for tritium every day for an entire year will provide less dose than one cross country flight in and airplane.

Management has been completely transparent about everything related to this issue, but in this country everything is thought to be a conspiracy.

For what it's worth.

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:35 »
The film Uncle Buck was filmed near there - you've got to love it!
Decomm Man

LaFeet

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2007, 12:30 »
Fact is only one local well tested positive for tritium and it was significantly below the EPA limit. Another useful fact...drinking a half gallon of water containing the EPA limit for tritium every day for an entire year will provide less dose than one cross country flight in and airplane.

And drinking one bottle of ipecac will make most people sick....  Glad you love your job.... wish I felt the same about the place, but I don't

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2007, 07:55 »
other friendly Exelon people

Oxymoron ??? ???

;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

weblt

« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2007, 09:16 »
Heading to Braidwood ... Sr HP  Never have been to Illinois and will be staying in Romeoville.  Any comments on the working conditions.  Do they have a cafeteria, lockers, tech room? Advice on things I need to be careful about ... what not to do, say.  Guess I am asking for some survival tactics to complete the outage on good terms. Chicago to me is like a foreign country. (South Carolina)
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007, 10:06 by XOR »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:34 »
I am sorry I can't answer your specific questions about the facility, but as for the area, relax... you will not be in Chicago.

You will be in the middle of the Great Corn Desert. The area is about as rural as you can get. More 'Andy of Mayberry' than anything else. The big city is far enough away that you only need to experience it if you want to.

As far as the plant itself, it is Exelon (West) and that means strong unions and although I was not there, I was at LaSalle which is practically next door as nuclear plants go. The house techs on an individual basis were OK, but as a group could be pretty mean to contractors. The union craft can (and did) refuse to listen to a contract technician... I covered all the contractors like AREVA, Master-Lee, etc.

On the other hand, I also worked another neighborhood plant -- Clinton, also Exelon but recently acquired. Before the purchase it was a 'mom and pop' nuclear plant and all the folks were pretty friendly. Hope someone else can give more specifics.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2007, 09:04 »
I can help you a little bit here.

It is similar to the area I am living in near Cleveland.
Out in the sticks. Civilization isn't too far away.
Alot of good old boys, wannabe rednecks, Harley riders, Country music fans, and outdoorsy types.
You will have alot of greasy spoons to eat at, but they are good if your arteries are strong.
It will be colder around December. The fall is doable.
If you are staying in Romeoville, check out Zero Gravity (nightclub) on a Friday.
Unless you like Country music, I can't help you there.
Must stop: Aurora, Illinois. There is a great sports bar (Fox and the Hound).
Fox Valley Mall is massive and has everything.
Morris, Illinois has the Corn Festival if you like elephant ears and funnel cakes.

Tips: Don't go into Chicago unless you have a friend or someone who knows the area. The South Side will chew you up and spit you out. You can get off the Interstate and within minutes you will be in gangbangers paradise.

Stay around the lakeshore in Chicago and there is plenty to keep you busy there. Da Bears, Cubs, Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks are great. The Magnificent Mile (Lakeshore Drive) is a great drive. Use judgment like in any large city.

weblt

« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2007, 09:27 »
Thanks RD, Dave. The union folks sound much like some of the bubba types I grew up with and live around.  I don't mind working hard and like to get the job done without problems, but personality wise I am the introspective type.  Just concerned I might be overwhelmed. My sister lives in Michigan so I'll be visiting her before or after (main reason for taking the outage). Thanks for the advice about Chicago. I'd hate to not see some of it while I'm there.

Offline gammaman30

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:27 »
Heading to Braidwood ... Sr HP  Never have been to Illinois and will be staying in Romeoville.  Any comments on the working conditions.  Do they have a cafeteria, lockers, tech room? Advice on things I need to be careful about ... what not to do, say.  Guess I am asking for some survival tactics to complete the outage on good terms. Chicago to me is like a foreign country. (South Carolina)

Hey You will love it there Big locker room, nice break area, lots of friendly people! The food not bad either.house techs will help you out all they can!
but if you go make sure you go to Dresden too it is great too.
Hope you enjoy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?