Reference, Questions and Help > Polls

daycare at the plants?

(1/18) > >>

inyourface:
I am the mother of an eleven month old and find it very difficult to work these outage hours and spend time with my son.  Me and a friend who also has a young child were talking one day about how awesome it would be if plants would offer child care at the plant.  Parents could spend their break times with their kids and we thought it would be cool.  So I was just wondering what everyone else thought about the idea?

HAIRDUDE:
Great idea in theory, but the logistics and potential for litigation stemming from having minor children on site at a nuclear plant are a nightmare. Not to mention the ramifications for E-Plan.

RDTroja:
As nice as the idea sounds for parents, Hairdude is right about the legal aspects and the absoulte disaster that would ensue if there were ever a problem in the plant. For just one small example, if you were a technician and there was a plant evacuation, could you continue to perform your emergency duties if your toddler was one of the people being evacuated?

On top of that, do you think it would be good for mommy (or daddy) to appear and disappear throughout the day while the daycare provider is trying to keep a group of small children under control? Given that breaks are often scattered about, there would almost always be a parent or two or twelve disturbing the 'routine' (if there even is such a thing) in the daycare. And how about those who have no set break time, such as the BOP techs? I personally would not like to be partnered with someone (male or female) that I can't count on to be around to help because they are visiting their child.

Please don't get me wrong about that... I think that it is absoultely vital that parents spend as much time as possible with their kids, and I could not blame someone for wanting to spend time with theirs. But (there is that word again) not while they are at work and not at the expense of someone else who would (not always but often enough) have to cover for an absent parent. I have a great deal of sympathy for parents that have to work instead of staying home to raise the kids. Sometimes it is a choice and sometimes a necessity that both parents (or a single parent) have to leave their children in the care of others to go earn the daily bread. Either way I am sure it is a tough thing to do. But a nuclear plant is no place for children (insert your own joke here) for a vast array of reasons.

Already Gone:
All valid points, Roger.  But, many places of employment manage to provide child-care services without diminishing the quality or productivity of their business.  A little discipline in the workplace cures all the ills you mentioned.  There could be designated times and places for parental visits during the workday.  There could be lots of things to make it work.
I would have absolutely NO fear for my children's safety at a nuclear plant.  Naturally, I wouldn't locate their nap time inside the power block.  But there are gyms at power plants, restaurants, safety shoe stores, training centers, visitors' centers (before 9-11 expanded the security boundaries) why not a day care center.

I think it is about time we moved either one way or another on nuclear safety.  It is either safe to have children in a school just down the road from a nuke plant or it is unsafe to have them in a daycare center right inside the fence.  We can't have it both ways.  If we really believe that this is a safe form of energy, we need to let our actions agree with our words.  Any nuke plant which isn't safe enough for my kids for the workday isn't safe for the kids who live inside the EPZ around the clock.

Site evacuation is a panacea anyway.  EPZ evacuation is even more ridiculous.  Put those kids right in the same building as the guardhouse with the correct ventillation equipment.  They'll be plenty safe.

As for the joke part, insert any of the following phrases after the word "children";
without NRC licenses,
who can't pass the NEU Exam,
unless their site-coordinator can keep them in line.....

SloGlo:

--- Quote from: inyourface on Nov 23, 2006, 01:49 ---Ihow awesome it would be if plants would offer child care at the plant.  Parents could spend their break times with their kids and we thought it would be cool.  So I was just wondering what everyone else thought about the idea?

--- End quote ---

it sounds like a good idea, but da afourmentioned liabilities are ona front burner.  the entrepreneur in me says that as one who is intimately connected to the situation, it could be very beneficial to you to explore the idea as a business for yourself. once you get the meetings with the lawyers out of the way, you could get into franchise agreements with the plants, not only for the outage times but also for the operational year.  hafta start off small, probably only $50k for a franchise for an individual plant, operators of plant fleets could get a discount, but pretty soon you could have some serious cash flow going.  say
$100/40 hr work week and pro rated for additional/less scheduled time.  so a care center with 50 kids would gross $5k/wk, quarter mill per year.  not to mention that $50k franchise fee in da bank.  eye'll let yinz do the math for a fleet operator with 5 plants.  within 5 years ya should be able to cover alla da plants in dis country 'n be ready to move into international operations.  yinz'd be able to watch yer kids at play ona plasma monitor while sitting at yer desk in da corner office yakking ona phone about how stressful executive work is and how ya miss da daze of running around da country, jumping in and out of smelly p.c., enjoying da playful give and take of da craft werkers, n@.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version