Career Path > Money Matters

Unemployment Claims

(1/81) > >>

Does anyone out there know what the requirements are for filing an interstate UI Claim? Specifically, if we work for a company based in Mass (I'll let you guess which one that is) but don't work in Mass, can we file our UI claim in Mass?

retired nuke:
My last experience (5+ yrs ago) was that:

You had to work in at least 2 states.
You had to come to the state that you open the claim in.
You at least had to have an initial address in that state.
Then you move back home, and transfer everything.

Things may have changed.....   ::)

Remember, VY is having a late spring outage in May 07, which will place you right up here next to MA to file your summer claim.... ;D 

not sure of the exact specifics but from what i was told by a unemployment clain rep. as long as you have worked in 3 or more states, within the last 12 months. you can file in any state you wish, although MA may require you to be in the physical boundries of the state when originally open your claim.

State of Massachusetts Unemployment Benefit Information:

You may file a claim for unemployment benefits in Massachusetts on the Internet at:

File by phone
Call the TeleClaim Center at 1-877-626-6800 if you are calling from the following area codes: 351, 413, 508, 774, and 978.

Call the TeleClaim Center at 617-626-6800 if you are calling from any other area code.

The TeleClaim Center is open from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday and 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. Shorter waiting times can be expected after 4:30 p.m., later in the week, and on Saturday morning. These expanded hours are for telephone services only and do not apply to Walk-In Centers.

If you choose to do so, you may file your claim in person at a Walk-In Center. There are locations throughout Massachusetts. Some walk-in centers have limited hours. Use the walk-in center directory to find the office nearest you, and to check its hours of operation and find directions.

At walk-in centers, you can:

File a new claim for benefits
Reopen an existing claim
Be interviewed if there are issues that affect your eligibility
Resolve problems with your claim
Attend an orientation session

Information they'll need from you include:

Your social security number
The year you were born
Your home address and telephone number
Whether you have filed an unemployment insurance claim in Massachusetts or in any other state during the past 12 months
Your last day of employment
The names and addresses of all of the employers you have worked for during the 15 months prior to filing your claim and the dates you worked for each of these employers. If you are reopening a claim, be ready with the same information for the past eight weeks
The reason that you are no longer working or that your hours have been reduced
The names, dates of birth and social security numbers for any dependent children, if you are going to apply for dependency allowance
Your alien registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
Source: Massachusetts Division of Employment and Training

You can file interstate claim in the state you live in.  New York investigates and tells you whichstate is the best to claim in and gives you options.  Mass has the highest weekly payment especially if you have dependents.  You must work in several states and have to physically show up at an unemployment office in the state.  You do not need an address in that state, nor have worked in it. 
Hope that helps.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version