Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Unemployment Claims

Author Topic: Unemployment Claims  (Read 389071 times)

joshmarc77

Re: Unemployment Claims, need advice!!!!
« Reply #350 on: Jul 12, 2009, 03:02 »
Hello, I am returning to outage work after a year away.  I have just learned on this forum that you can no longer file in Mass after working in two or more states, I will be living in Mass, but I guess that doesnt matter, because I won't be working there, and the company I will work for is not affiliated with it.  So, how does it work, I've been working in Florida full time for a year, will be stopping next week, taking 5 weeks off, then working at Cooper this fall, I was planning on filing in Mass for UI  after that, but what do I do now?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
Re: Unemployment Claims
« Reply #351 on: Jul 12, 2009, 07:26 »
As you live in Mass, it can't hurt to try and file there.  They will let you know if you are eligible or not.  If it  doesn't work out, then you will have to file in either Florida or Nebraska. 
It is what it is!

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #352 on: Jul 12, 2009, 11:10 »
I was in a MA office a few years ago when a MA resident tried to file.  He had been working the entire previous year in CT and was told he needed to file there instead. 

Part of the new regulation for UI states that residence is no longer a deciding factor in determining where you can file a combined wage claim.

It sounds like the only way any of us not working Pilgrim can file there is if it is determined our employer's base of operations is in MA and we are not working out of a satellite office in another state.

joshmarc77

« Reply #353 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:45 »
The new regulation sucks.  I guess a deciding factor in wear to work depends on the unemployment rate in that state.  I wonder if wages will rise as a result.  Perhaps less people will want to work outages, and therefore more money.

Offline pronukeroadtech

• Very Lite User
« Reply #354 on: Aug 03, 2009, 07:24 »
MASSACHUSETTS Unemployment

Anyone else out there having current issues with Massachusetts not wanting to let you get the extended benefits or even file a new claim? They are telling me my employer sent all my wages to a different state. They want me to file in any state other than Mass. It's like they're calling you a thief and are trying to steal their money ear marked for in-state-people.

Has anyone conquered the extended benefits yet since the new rules kicked in and if so how? It's like they only understand computer, the paper in front of them doesn't count. I personally faxed a copy of my Reduction in Force Letter showing wages and employment dates to the case worker and it means nothing to them.  Has anyone been able to open a claim or extension there yet?

Cathy

« Reply #355 on: Aug 03, 2009, 08:47 »
MASSACHUSETTS Unemployment

Anyone else out there having current issues with Massachusetts not wanting to let you get the extended benefits or even file a new claim? They are telling me my employer sent all my wages to a different state. They want me to file in any state other than Mass. It's like they're calling you a thief and are trying to steal their money ear marked for in-state-people.

Has anyone conquered the extended benefits yet since the new rules kicked in and if so how? It's like they only understand computer, the paper in front of them doesn't count. I personally faxed a copy of my Reduction in Force Letter showing wages and employment dates to the case worker and it means nothing to them.  Has anyone been able to open a claim or extension there yet?

New Laws
   ..."Dear Combined Wage Claimant:

The US Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration amended the regulations governing combined wage claims filed under the Federal-State Unemployment Compensation Program.
         Beginning January 6, 2009, the definition of "Paying State", when filing a Combined Wage Claim, has been changed...
      ...this means, effective January 6, 2009 onward, that in order to file a Combined Wage Claim, you must have had employment and earned wages in the paying state's base period.
         This notice is to inform you that for new claims effective January 11, 2009 and after, you cannot file a Combined Wage Claim with Massachusetts as the "Paying State" unless you had employment and earned wages in Massachusetts during the base period (the four completed calender quarters prior to filing), regardless of whether you traveled to be physically present here.
         Since this is a US Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration ruling, all States must follow this amendment."

...received by paper mail...
        ...Mon, Nov 25, 08...

Offline pronukeroadtech

• Very Lite User
« Reply #356 on: Aug 03, 2009, 11:01 »
How would that effect a MA claim already made and you just need the extention?
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2009, 11:02 by pronukeroadtech »

chris28ohm

« Reply #357 on: Aug 04, 2009, 08:09 »
I seem to be having the same problem with massachusetts, after I exhausted my original benifit in June, I was told I had to file in my home state, I was denied because I only had 4 weeks of work in ohio and was told I had to file extended on massachusetts. Mass had originally informed me that if i faxed them a letter of denial from my home state I would be eligible for benifits there. I did this and was told by mass to file for it in virginia and florida since I had wages there, in the alternate period. Since Mass already used my base wages in the october 07 -dec 08 they want me to file a new claim altogether in another state. Hopefully someone has gotten further in the process then me and can help out, 9 weeks without unemployment.
I did file 2 days before new law took place and I believe my claim should fall under old rules.

chris28ohm

« Reply #358 on: Aug 04, 2009, 09:53 »
After doing some heavy searching on the eligibility requirements in mass for extended benifits, I found out that if you qualify for a new claim in any state they can make you claim in that state, I was told that I could claim in virginia on the alternate base period, but I never stepped foot in the state of virginia, I'm wondering if the new law that went into effect in january will make me ineligible there, I really hope so. I also had wages in florida, but they dont offer the alternate base period although they should since it is a combined wage claim and falls under federal guidlines, it will be unlucky for me if they do cause florida dont pay hardly anything. This new law made everything a big rats nest. If anyone out there knows more info please post,,, thx

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #359 on: Aug 05, 2009, 01:30 »
I'm unsure of the situation in MASS but what I'm running into in PA with EUC is if you qualify in another state, you have to file in that state and prove ineligibility before you can qualify for EUC in the state you originally filed.  I had three months in FL last year, and am waiting to find out if I qualify or not.  PA says yes, FL says no go back to PA, then PA says well they didn't do a combined wage claim try again.  In the meantime, summers almost up, sure I'm broke and that's no fun, but if I do eventually qualify in FL it will eat up precious quarters, and lock me into FL for the winter.  Good luck on your unemployment situation. 

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #360 on: Aug 05, 2009, 02:47 »
Maybe this will help.  Bottom line is "Base Period"!!  Most (if not all) require you to have a certain amount of wages earned in that state in the required Base Period (the previous 5 quarters prior to the quarter you are currently filing in).  I worked in Ohio, and PA this year, however, in May, I was not eligible to file in those states until October of this year, due to their Base Period requirements.  However, living in AZ, the Max is 240.  But I met either MS or AR base period requirements.  So, I chose AR, stopped by the Unemployment office in person, told them my situation, followed the rules, and am collecting 456/week.  Easy!!  The only hang up was that they allowed me to file as a local, and I had to go through a couple of weeks to finally get on the Interstate plan.  Next year (after May) my wages in PA from this year will meet the base period requirements for filing with PA.  Base Period is the key..I picked that up from Troy...way back in Feb, Mar time frame.  I read, researched, and understood.  All the states have their requirements posted on the web.  Its a matter of doing some homework prior to filing.  If you don't do your homework you fall into a situation as JessJen, filing, being rejected, and then.....red tape delaying your claim.

chris28ohm

« Reply #361 on: Aug 06, 2009, 04:36 »
I filled an appeal in ohio, it appears they didnt have all the info from the other states when they made there dtermination, now I have to wait, I cant believe I cant claim off my originnal claim

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #362 on: Aug 06, 2009, 04:39 »
I was just reminded that a while ago I had promised to post whatever I could find out regarding filing for Mass Unemp Comp.  Well this is what i have been told; prior to the close of 2008, the Mass State Legislature, due to the economic downturn and the state's ever increasing deficit (thank you Deval and the dems in power), decided to restructure how Mass State Unemp Comp will be paid out.  To qualify you must either A. live in the state or B. work in the state.  Being employed in another state by a company based in Mass wont fly anymore.  The key to all of this is we are required to abide by each states wage laws and employment taxes that we do business in.  If we employ someone in Illinois, we pay Illinois employment taxes and contribute to the Illinois unemployment fund not the Mass fund.   Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help on the issue.

Hope y'all have a safe and fun rest of the summer and a productive and prosperous fall season,

Eric

PS I would imagine the only other way to collect would to be an illegal, Mass will most likely give you unemployment, a drivers license, ss card, "free" health care and send you to college for "free".  
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009, 04:41 by Eric_Bartlett »
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline desertechn

• Light User
« Reply #363 on: Aug 06, 2009, 07:23 »
Eric

PS I would imagine the only other way to collect would to be an illegal, Mass will most likely give you unemployment, a drivers license, ss card, "free" health care and send you to college for "free".

so close to sarcasm, i'm tempted to try to "pass"

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #364 on: Aug 07, 2009, 09:26 »
An unemployment worker told me if I worked a full day or more physically in MA, I could collect.  So go there, work at a temp job that you know will lay you off right before your next outage somewhere else.  Then, go to MA after a next outage layoff, insuring the MA work time occurred in the correct quarters that is used to calculate you 4 quarters of work, and your in.

For example work anywhere winter/spring 09, MA  for a day or more 3rd qtr 09 prior to outage, layoff outage in 4th qtr., then apply for MA unemployment in 1st qtr 10.    If they use a lag quarter in the 4th of 09, it still works if you worked 4th qtr 08.  It is legal and it effectively gets around they system.

Remember, if you work a temp job (as say, a day laborer), you are establishing the precedent that you are willing to accept that kind of work.  So don't be surprised if the unemployment office tells you you have to look for work/accept offers in that field once you establish your claim...  :(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

CATCH22

« Reply #365 on: Aug 07, 2009, 12:59 »
Why don't you just get a job?

Content1

« Reply #366 on: Aug 07, 2009, 03:47 »
You need to read all the posts.  I am a working house tech now, the MA info was for the benefit of those trying to collect there legally who are still on the road.

nukewood

« Reply #367 on: Aug 09, 2009, 08:19 »
I have a new question and don't know where to go with it.
Have filed for NJ unemployment on 1 Jul 09. In past 18 mos have earned in NJ,N.C., N.H.,and Washington. Since NJ pays the most that is where I chose to file. It has been almost 6 weeks and no replies from NH.They are not releasing the funds to pay me. NJ says they can do nothing until NH releases my funds. The appropriate person in NH does not return my phone calls even though their  voice mail says they pride themselves in returning calls in 24 hrs. I am at Big Bros mercy. HELP  Has any had similar problems?

chris28ohm

« Reply #368 on: Aug 09, 2009, 09:24 »
Sit tight and wait,and be thankful they haven't just sent a denial to you, thats what ohio did and I'm in the appeal stage. If you have pay stubs you can send those in.

deb

« Reply #369 on: Oct 05, 2009, 06:51 »
Can anyone help me with this?
I was sent to Ma. from NH unemployment as a combined wage claim on 03.20.2009. Recently I exhausted my benefits in Ma and called to file for the extension. They said It looked like I might have  a claim in NH. I was told I would qualify for the Ma extension once it was determined from NH that I had no available $$$.  Ma. Office said to go to a nh claims office, open a claim  and they should be able to determine this immediately, as all this info is available to them, and they should  give me a letter stating this which I could then fax to Ma-and they would grant me the extension without interruption of benefits. Expecting this,I oped a claim on line and the next day I went to the claims office to speak with a NH rep- she said it will take 6-8 weeks to determine my eligibility-even though when she pulled my file up on the computer all my quarters said USED- I called Ma back, explained the visit at the NH office- now  they look at my file again and  said OH "YOU HAVE NO $$$ IN NH- and they put me into the system for the 20 week extension- I am concerned that one state may be wrong and now I am collecting on an extension, and worry of NH coming after me- even though MA said I am eligible for the fed 20 week extension- Has anyone here had this happen to them? 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #370 on: Oct 16, 2009, 11:11 »
did any one work four free in da georgia unemployment program?

But in Georgia, thousands of unemployed people are working without a salary in “auditions” for paying gigs.

Under the Georgia Works program, jobless citizens work part-time for up to six weeks at businesses with job openings. They earn no salary, but the state pays unemployment benefits along with a weekly stipend for transportation, child care, and other expenses.
http://www.parade.com/news/intelligence-report/archive/091011-should-unemployed-people-work-for-free.html

http://gov.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,78006749_139486062_141698768,00.html

quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

JsonD13

« Reply #371 on: Oct 16, 2009, 01:23 »
did any one work four free in da georgia unemployment program?

But in Georgia, thousands of unemployed people are working without a salary in “auditions” for paying gigs.

Under the Georgia Works program, jobless citizens work part-time for up to six weeks at businesses with job openings. They earn no salary, but the state pays unemployment benefits along with a weekly stipend for transportation, child care, and other expenses.
http://www.parade.com/news/intelligence-report/archive/091011-should-unemployed-people-work-for-free.html

http://gov.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,78006749_139486062_141698768,00.html

That's awesome!  I think I'll recommend this to my congressperson.

Jason

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #372 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:09 »
do you have a URL for the changed info?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #373 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:45 »
I have heard that states are in the process of changing the way they calculate and payout umemployment.  Sounds like they are going to payout equal to the number of weeks worked, no more.  IE if you only worked 10 weeks in the qualifying period (maybe last year?) that you would only get 10 weeks of unemployment, not 26 weeks.

Anyone hear of any changes like this?  I know most states are going with the you have to work in the state to collect, not just live here, concept (if you are a resident of Minnesota, you have had to work in Minnesota in you claim period, or you can't claim in the state.  Must claim in a state worked).

Any info is appreciated.
It is what it is!

Offline hrdwrkndgs

• Very Lite User
« Reply #374 on: Aug 04, 2010, 09:06 »
Does that mean if you work 36 weeks you get 36 weeks of unemployment???

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?