Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Unemployment Claims

Author Topic: Unemployment Claims  (Read 389102 times)

MR BIG

Re: Unemployment Claims
« Reply #150 on: Apr 22, 2008, 12:39 »
Has anyone who has posted here ACTUALLY opened a claim up in the last 3 months? Things change. Hearsay can have alot of misinformation. Who actually has opened one up recently?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #151 on: Apr 22, 2008, 02:45 »
I have claimed twice and reopened twice in the last year.  Troy and I KNOW what we are talking about.

You should be able to call from the airport, but I can't guarentee it.  I CAN say that I tried calliong from home in TN, and that didn't fly... er.. that dog didn't hunt ;)  I also opened a claim in one of their offices, where they just handed me the phone.

Another time I called from a Michigan cell phone in my Mass Appartment, and it worked... but I had just finished working in Mass for a year, so my story of being in Mass was plausable.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #152 on: Apr 22, 2008, 10:01 »
As per my post at top of page I opened a claim in January and still haven't gotten a check yet. They are still in the appeal process with NC. Just a reminder you better make sure the company you are working for isn't claiming your home state for UI benefits.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #153 on: Apr 22, 2008, 10:44 »
Try it over the phone at the airport brother, ya got nothin to lose. Take advice from others with a grain of salt. The best way to learn is from personnel experience, not from people who think they walk on water and are experts at any and everything. Know what I'm sayin?

From someone who has done this SEVERAL TIMES:

You not only need to be in state, you need to be at their office.
Yes, they will put you on the telephone with the Boston office, BUT, they will also talk to that person first and verify that you are physically in the office with them.

You also have to fill out the forms manually while at the office.

This only applies to Combined Wage Claims.

If you worked in MA and want to file a simple Interstate Claim, you do that by calling YOUR HOME STATE Unemployment Office and telling them you want to file against Massachussetts.  This ONLY works if you had wages in Massachussetts that were reported to Massachussetts.

If you live in MA, use the procedure quoted by UncaBuffalo above.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #154 on: Apr 22, 2008, 11:34 »
From someone who has done this SEVERAL TIMES:

You not only need to be in state, you need to be at their office.
Yes, they will put you on the telephone with the Boston office, BUT, they will also talk to that person first and verify that you are physically in the office with them.

You also have to fill out the forms manually while at the office.

This only applies to Combined Wage Claims.

If you worked in MA and want to file a simple Interstate Claim, you do that by calling YOUR HOME STATE Unemployment Office and telling them you want to file against Massachussetts.  This ONLY works if you had wages in Massachussetts that were reported to Massachussetts.

If you live in MA, use the procedure quoted by UncaBuffalo above.

When I was in Boston in January I didn't fill out any paperwork. It was all done over the phone. I was filling out a Combined Wage claim.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #155 on: Apr 22, 2008, 11:50 »
When I was in Boston in January I didn't fill out any paperwork. It was all done over the phone. I was filling out a Combined Wage claim.
I didn't fill out ant paperwork either, just over the phone in their little room, and they did verify I was there by talking to a person in the office.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #156 on: Apr 22, 2008, 12:31 »
I file in Pittsfield.  I have no idea why on Earth I had to fill out those forms.  The person on the phone didn't care about any of the stuff I put down, and the person in the office just took the forms and said she would file them - she never even looked at them.

The first two times I claimed in Springfield.  The last two, I claimed in Pittsfield.  The first time at each place, they took my claim on site.  The second time at each place, they put me on the phone.  Go figure.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

LaFeet

« Reply #157 on: Apr 22, 2008, 04:52 »
Has anyone who has posted here ACTUALLY opened a claim up in the last 3 months? Things change. Hearsay can have alot of misinformation. Who actually has opened one up recently?

Yes... I opened a claim via my Oklahoma internet UE site.  I did hve to call someone in Okie land to get the IB1 initiated.  But I got my claim started for this year without having to call Mass or be in the state.   

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #158 on: Apr 22, 2008, 09:45 »
Yes... I opened a claim via my Oklahoma internet UE site.  I did hve to call someone in Okie land to get the IB1 initiated.  But I got my claim started for this year without having to call Mass or be in the state.

Like I said.

You are talkiong about something than what we are talking about.  We are talkiong about working in (for example) IL and PA, lifing in TN and getting $600/wk for 7 months from MASS.  -- To do that, you have to show up in person.

Andone can claim in their local office.

MR BIG

« Reply #159 on: Apr 23, 2008, 05:03 »

This is what I'm talking about. Someone who has opened one up THIS YEAR. For people that haven't opened one up in the last 3 month's, please DO NOT give us your opinion. Laws change, processes change. Please don't give out misinformation and confuse people! Unless you have personally done it, keep it to yourself. I don't care if that's the way they did it last year or the last 4 times you opened one. What are they doing NOW!

MR BIG

« Reply #160 on: Apr 23, 2008, 05:06 »

Sorry, didn't figure out how to respond to quote. But this is who I meant to give an example of. Thanks Paule!

This is what I'm talking about. Someone who has opened one up THIS YEAR. For people that haven't opened one up in the last 3 month's, please DO NOT give us your opinion. Laws change, processes change. Please don't give out misinformation and confuse people! Unless you have personally done it, keep it to yourself. I don't care if that's the way they did it last year or the last 4 times you opened one. What are they doing NOW!

LaFeet

« Reply #161 on: Apr 23, 2008, 07:51 »
You are talkiong about something than what we are talking about.  We are talkiong about working in (for example) IL and PA, lifing in TN and getting $600/wk for 7 months from MASS.  -- To do that, you have to show up in person.

Sorry  but I DID NOT HAVE TO SHOW UP.... all was done via PHONE FROM HOUSE or Internet via Oklahoma Unemployment Office......

I did go to Mass last year -  2007.  But I have NOT been in the state at all this year.  I called and spoke to the claims agents and they directed me to my Okie office.  My claim THROUGH Mass has NOT REQUIRRED me to be in state, call from in state, or file through MASS UE website.   

I don't know if my status as a military retiree has any weight inthis matter.  they seemed to handle me different when I originally opened a claim with them many years ago.

BTW  are you typing with gloves on?? I misspell often while doing that.

Mass is going through some changes, hopefully for the better. 

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #162 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:42 »

I have to agree with Lafeet. I called yesterday to start my claim again and was told to go to my local unemployment office and have them fill out a IB form and mail it to Mass. Then just start calling in like before. Just left the local office and had the form mailed.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #163 on: Apr 23, 2008, 03:07 »
That's gonna leave a mark

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #164 on: Apr 23, 2008, 03:39 »
Not a very big mark.

I decided, in the interest of keeping an open mind (something that I try to do always) to call Mass. Unemployment and ask.  That seems simple enough, but we are all too stubborn to go to the source as long as we can come here instead.  Plus, here we have the added benefit of disregarding answers that we don't like even if they are correct.  Anyway, I figured that someone had to be the one to break down and actually ask the right questions at the right place.  Might as well be me.

I learned a few things.

1. They will let you file an interstate claim from your home state.  You cannot do this on the Mass website or by phone to them.  You use your state's procedure and they will go collect from Mass.

2. Mass. will deny that claim if you have not worked in Massachusetts, but you will still be eligible to claim against any state where you did work or your home state if you meet the eligibility rules.

3. To combine wages for two or more states, you must physically be in the claims center - just as before - to open the claim initially.
To repoen that claim, you file an IB1 through your home state just as before.

4. There is a pending change to the federal law governing unemployment claims that will end this wonderful arrangement at some future date that nobody knows for sure.  The new law will require you to file combined wage claims in your state of legal residence.  The Mass. teleclaim line actually tells you to do this now, but you can disregard that for the moment.

5. The good news it that this hasn't happened yet, and there are plenty of houses for sale or rent in the Commonwealth if you decide to relocate there.

6.  If you live in Mass., use the method that you prefer - telephone or walk-in center or internet - 'cause none of the above matters to you.

7.  They still have direct deposit!!!!

If you still don't think I know what I'm talking about, call 617-626-6140, wait on hold for 22 minutes, and get the same answers that I did.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #165 on: Apr 23, 2008, 03:45 »
Sorry  but I DID NOT HAVE TO SHOW UP.... all was done via PHONE FROM HOUSE or Internet via Oklahoma Unemployment Office......

I did go to Mass last year -  2007.  But I have NOT been in the state at all this year.  I called and spoke to the claims agents and they directed me to my Okie office.  My claim THROUGH Mass has NOT REQUIRRED me to be in state, call from in state, or file through MASS UE website.   

I don't know if my status as a military retiree has any weight inthis matter.  they seemed to handle me different when I originally opened a claim with them many years ago.

BTW  are you typing with gloves on?? I misspell often while doing that.

Mass is going through some changes, hopefully for the better. 

When in 2007 did you go?  It sounds to me like you are re-opening an already existing claim.  When it runs out you will have to go back to open a new one.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #166 on: Apr 23, 2008, 03:49 »

"THIS YEAR"  doesn't mean anything.  Claims do not run concurrent to calendar years.  If you open a claim, it lasts 52 weeks from that date.  If you go back to work and get laid-off within that time period, you are NOT opening a new claim, but re-opening the already existing claim.  You must return to the Mass, UI office to open a new claim after the current one expires.

PAULTHEVOL

« Reply #167 on: Apr 23, 2008, 04:36 »
Ummm,Yeah, I'm gonna  have to go ahead and say Troy is right on the money with this one.
I went to Mass and opened up a claim in Dec of 06,I drew until Feb of 07,when I went back to work.I was laid off exactly six weeks past the one year mark of my initial claim..I had the same crazy idea Troy had ,and called the Mass unemployment office,after being on hold for 26 minutes,I was told my initial claim had expired and to open a new combined wage interstate claim,I would have to physically come back to the Mass unemployment office and open a new claim.
 I normally don't know what I am talking about,and I try  not to give information that I don't have first hand experience with,but in this matter ,I do on both counts.----Paul

LaFeet

« Reply #168 on: Apr 23, 2008, 05:41 »
"THIS YEAR"  doesn't mean anything.  Claims do not run concurrent to calendar years.  If you open a claim, it lasts 52 weeks from that date.  If you go back to work and get laid-off within that time period, you are NOT opening a new claim, but re-opening the already existing claim.  You must return to the Mass, UI office to open a new claim after the current one expires.

I filed on 4 Jan 06... filed another claim on 9 Jan 07, I did work Pilgrim this year.  This year for me started on 10 Jan 08.... opened a claim from Mass via my Oklahoma internet UE service.  I have not entered Mass this year.  My NEW CLAIM has been filed via my home state office for MASS UE.

All I know is what I have done and what I am receiving - from Mass

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #169 on: Apr 23, 2008, 06:15 »
I did that too, the first time.  They made me come to Mass anyway,about a month later, but they preserved the start date of my claim as the date I called.
Because you worked Pilgrim, things may be different for you.
Keep us posted.  Have they sent you money yet?
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2008, 06:17 by BeerCourt »

Melrose

« Reply #170 on: Apr 23, 2008, 07:45 »
I have a Mass claim still open, re-activated it today.  Called my home state, went thru the 15 minute automated BS before talking to a live person.  I told her that I needed an IB1 form for the combined state claim (interstate), she asked the typical ?s and wired the IB1 to Mass.

BTW, I had to show up in the office last year to start the claim, took all of 45 minutes, max.

Good Luck

LaFeet

« Reply #171 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:29 »
I did that too, the first time.  They made me come to Mass anyway,about a month later, but they preserved the start date of my claim as the date I called.
Because you worked Pilgrim, things may be different for you.
Keep us posted.  Have they sent you money yet?

Yeah  I got the three checks that I was due for January prior to going back to work.

I am currently on the road (Michigan) and dont see entering Mass anytime soon.  If anything changes Ill be sure to post.

LaFeet

« Reply #172 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:30 »
oh no, my karma level went down! I will I ever get to sleep?

Been there  done that  spilt milk still taste the same if the floor is clean

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #173 on: Apr 24, 2008, 08:00 »
Yeah  I got the three checks that I was due for January prior to going back to work.

I am currently on the road (Michigan) and dont see entering Mass anytime soon.  If anything changes Ill be sure to post.

How's that direct deposit working out?  They started it after I got my last check, so I never got to use it.  Seems like just the thing for roadies. 

LaFeet

« Reply #174 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:39 »
I did not sign up for direct deposit yet.... the wife gets the checks and puts them in the bank pronto.  A few days makes little difference to me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?