Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Unemployment Claims honeypot

Author Topic: Unemployment Claims  (Read 390677 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

Re: Unemployment Claims
« Reply #275 on: Nov 25, 2008, 09:31 »
What if you live in Ma. but still don't work in the state??

...good question...

...concerning combined wage claims (more than just one state claimed) i think this excert from the previously posted letter i received answers it...

..."this means, effective January 6, 2009 onward, that in order to file a Combined Wage Claim, you must have had employment and earned wages in the paying state's base period."

...correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this means that we have to file in a state we worked in...

...the obvious question is, will we still have to physically be there when we initially file...

...the difference may matter when choosing which state we choose as the paying state...

...typical example would be connecticut, new york, texas, arkansas...

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #276 on: Nov 25, 2008, 10:41 »
Quote from DETMA.com, "Please be aware of this amended regulation and plan accordingly if you need to file a Combined-Wage Claim in the future.  Before making plans to travel to Massachusetts to file a Combined-Wage Claim, please call our TeleClaim Center at 617-626-6800 if you have any questions. "

Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline BigMo

• Very Lite User
Re: dMass. Unemployment Claims
« Reply #277 on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:35 »
 :(  Well that just about sucks, so now we cant get anything from Pa. or Ma. or anywhere that pays decent unless we worked in that state?? Boy, screwed now, that makes working on the road look a lot different when you are getting unemployment of $270 or something versus $575 or so. What the hell we gonna do now? Being paid out of Ma. doesnt count I suppose?? Can we get Bartlett to say we were employed by them based out of Ma. but working on contract elsewhere. Damn, this sucks.

BigMo

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #278 on: Nov 26, 2008, 10:15 »
What if you live in Ma. but still don't work in the state??

Then, you would file a normal unemployment claim in MA.  You won't be affected.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #279 on: Nov 26, 2008, 10:23 »
Dose this letter happen to specify a minimum the in-state wages have to be and a minimum work time to be eligible to file?

According to the new Federal rule, a claimant must qualify for unemployment compensation in the paying state.  Each state has different levels of income in your base period to qualify.

Caution:  your base period never includes the current quarter in any state unless you use an alternate base period.  This "uses up" that quarter so it can't be used again.  So, going to MA and working there, might mean that you have to wait for up to three months to file there.

The most important thing that we can all take from this discussion is that this discussion is only that.  The best place to find out about a State's rules is to ask the state.

So, I'm going to post this link one more time for MA:  http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdhomepage&L=1&L0=Home&sid=Elwd

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #280 on: Nov 26, 2008, 12:11 »

From Mass web site...

Calculating your Benefit Rate:

Step 1: List your wages in the last 4 quarters.   Add your wages in the two quarters you were paid the highest, then divide by 26 (the number of weeks in two quarters) to determine your average weekly wage.  If you have earnings in one or two quarters only, the highest quarterly earnings are divided by 13 weeks to determine your average weekly wage.

Step 2 : Your average weekly wage is divided in half.  This is your “Benefit Rate”.
 Example:

Q1: $7,800

Q2: $7,800

Q3: $8,840  } 2 highest quarters

Q4: $10,000

Average weekly rate= ($8,840+$10,000)/26= $724.61

Benefit Rate = $724.61/2=$362.30

Rounded down to $362.00

Calculating your Benefit Credit:

Step 3:    The total amount of benefits you can receive in your benefit year is your “Benefit Credit” and is the lesser of two amounts:

- either 30 times your weekly benefit rate
30 times weekly rate = $362.30 x 30 = $10,860

or

- 36% of the total earnings in your base period
36% of total earnings calc: ($7,800+$7,800+$8,840+10,000) = =($34,440) x 0.36=$12,398

Benefit Credit = lesser amount of $10,860 

Calculating your Duration of Benefits:

Step 4: The duration of benefits is calculated by dividing your benefit rate into the total amount of benefits. 

Duration of Benefits = $10,860/$362.00 = 30 weeks

...all state websites give this type of information...

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2008, 12:44 by wlrun3 »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #281 on: Nov 26, 2008, 12:31 »
Then, you would file a normal unemployment claim in MA.  You won't be affected.

You pretty much have to have wages in the state if it's a normal job (house tech).

However, the below link adds some interesting definitions for Bartlett employees - notice definition b:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/151a-3.htm
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #282 on: Nov 26, 2008, 06:06 »
You pretty much have to have wages in the state if it's a normal job (house tech).

However, the below link adds some interesting definitions for Bartlett employees - notice definition b:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/151a-3.htm

According to definition b, if you live in MA, you can file in MA.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #283 on: Nov 26, 2008, 09:37 »
I guess PA has started to screw people early on not letting them file now.They didn't wait to the new year.
I had a tech friend try to file today and the told him no way,so he is going to mass.

hrdwrkndg

« Reply #284 on: Nov 27, 2008, 01:04 »
How can they do that?  The change doesn't take effect until after Jan. 6, 2009

Rob143

Re: dMass. Unemployment Claims
« Reply #285 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:04 »
Being paid out of Ma. doesnt count I suppose??

No.

Can we get Bartlett to say we were employed by them based out of Ma. but working on contract elsewhere. Damn, this sucks.

No, because as referenced several times above "you must have had employment AND earned wages in the paying state's base period".  I don't like it either but it means you PHYSICALLY WORK within the state or you don't file there.

..."this means, effective January 6, 2009 onward, that in order to file a Combined Wage Claim, you must have had employment and earned wages in the paying state's base period."
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2008, 10:05 by Rob143 »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #286 on: Nov 30, 2008, 08:19 »
knot dat eye care, butt...............

PART I.
TITLE XXI.
Chapter 151A: Section 3.
(b)
(1) the individual’s base of operations is in the commonwealth or, if there is no base of operations, then the place from which such service is directed or controlled, is within the commonwealth

wood indicate dat bartlett's teks kin use mass.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #287 on: Nov 30, 2008, 12:27 »
I wrote a letter to Mass last time I had Questions concerning unemployment with them.  Maybe someone can write them  a email and get a answer if it pertains to them after january 9,   If they Get a positive reply then they go and see if it worked, Then we will know for sure!!!  I got a semi permanent job and it does not pertain to me or I would write them.

It would seem that SloGlo is right if we can show we work diffrent power plants in diffrent states on outages but get paid from Mass with our pay stubs!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2008, 12:29 by thenukeman »

Offline owsi84621

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #288 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:27 »
Well it looks like living in the South were the cost of living is cheaper and drawing off of the northern states doesn't pay any more.

steelman0211

« Reply #289 on: Dec 05, 2008, 03:05 »
I was wondering how long you had to work in a 2nd state before you can file a combined wage claim? does it have to be a week or more or will 1 or 2 days count?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #290 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:05 »
You have to have wages in that state.  What you make in one or two days could be a whole week to someone else.  They don't report hours or days worked, just weeks and wages.

jordanstds

« Reply #291 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:21 »
yes you can. I signed up in plymouth

tone2607

« Reply #292 on: Dec 07, 2008, 03:08 »
hi
iam just wondering does anyone know the website to reopen your claim in rhode island
it is alot easier i have heard but dont know thesite

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #293 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:45 »
This is Rhode Island's unemployment home page.

http://www.dlt.state.ri.us/ui/

tone2607

« Reply #294 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:50 »
i can seem find it there

i need to reopen my existing claim not file a new one

hrdwrkndg

« Reply #295 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:06 »
Has anyone opened a new claim in Ma. since they sent out the official letter stating the new policy beginning in Jan.??  Any problems?

Offline Grasshopper

• Very Lite User
« Reply #296 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:01 »
I am headed to Ma on Wednesday...  I will let all know if I find out anything new.  I am also curious as to whether you can reopen your claim during your benefit year once filed and accepted?  Are you then forced to go with the new law or are they going to honor your original claim year?  Life is going to start getting real tough people... start preparing now... 
hang on for the next four year ride! 

You know some people think it is wrong to claim multi state  benefits even though you are completely entitled.  Somehow they feel your breaking the law.  It is insurance not welfare.  Those people need to "not claim an accident"  and pay for it out of their own pocket, on their auto's if they wreck them cause that just causes rates to go up for those who don't get in wrecks....   DUH !!!

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #297 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:20 »
The way I read the change in CFR Citation: 20 CFR Part 616 any existing claims will be honored but after Jan 11th no one can open a new claim in any state if they haven't worked there.  Until Jan 6th the law stays as it read now.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Rob143

« Reply #298 on: Jan 04, 2009, 10:46 »
Because of the new rules it now becomes important that we all know what each states rate is.  You can either make informed decisions as to where to accept work, or where to claim based on where you already worked.  Remembering that some states use the 4 most recently completed quarters and some the oldest 4 of 5 (lag quarter).

That said you can find much of this info for 2008 at http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/uilawcompar/2008/monetary.pdf.

State law comparisons year by year can be found at http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/statelaws.asp I'm not sure when during the year they update this to include 2009.

If you're one of the few of us that like to peruse all the boring legal mumbo jumbo this is where those both come from
http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/laws.asp and offers enough reading material to put any of us to sleep.

Good luck in the future maximizing your unemployment benefits.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #299 on: Jan 05, 2009, 01:25 »
Has anyone had any luck with NJ unemployment yet?  It looks like the benefits are better than PA, and the Base Year is the same as MA, so we who were getting MA unemployment wouldn't lose a quarter when switching.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?