Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu standardized pay ?? honeypot

Author Topic: standardized pay ??  (Read 6613 times)

vikingfan

standardized pay ??
« on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:42 »
 I often have wondered why bartlett and other hp& decon contract companies have not or do not pay their people ( wether your hp or decon ) the same pay rates ?? I will say that when i worked with master-lee in the decon and refuel divisions, I was always paid the same hourly rate no matter which site I worked at. This is also the case in the work I have done with Areva and GE. I mean if you work with a company and they bring you in at XX pay rate you should always get the same rate. why is bartlett and other similar companies so different, they also pay their people 1 day travel at your pay rate for 8 hrs and mileage plus a day of diem. just something to think about.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: standardized pay ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2006, 10:15 »
Would you like to be paid the Oconee rate at Diablo Canyon? The client sites pay based on local costs and years of experience of what pay draws (barely) enough techs to staff the outage. It's economics...

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006, 10:28 »
I will say that when i worked with master-lee in the decon and refuel divisions, I was always paid the same hourly rate no matter which site I worked at. This is also the case in the work I have done with Areva and GE.

This sounds good. But if there were another pool of workers that could do the same work in different locations, then the local wages would have to prevail.

Besides, I would be afraid someone at GE would read this and make a correction (for the good of the stockholders).  :o
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:30 »
Areva/GE/Master-Lee/Whoever is a different world altogether from Bartlett.
If you work a hard-money job, the customer doesn't give a rodent's hindquarters how much you get paid - or if you are even there to begin with.  The local pay rate is totally immaterial.  Your employer determines what to pay you based on what they can afford.
When you work for Bartlett, you are doing "staff augmentation".  Basically, they don't pay for a specific output, but for your services at an hourly rate.  In this case, your rate of pay is the major factor in the cost of the contract.  Therefore, the customer actually cares how much you are paid.  They put it into the contract, which they negotiate individually.  Since every contract is different, every pay rate is different.
Bartlett doesn't have enough profit built into their contracts to be able to standardize pay rates - unless they made them all really low.  So, be careful what you ask for, you might get it.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?