Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shielding Valve Body, Internally  

Author Topic: Shielding Valve Body, Internally  (Read 6567 times)

RemBoy

Shielding Valve Body, Internally
« on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:49 »
 ::)

Here's the scenerio;
While working a valve that a person can physically enter to his upper body, high dose can be received.  Shielding outside will only benefit those in the vicinity, outside the valve body. 
Question;
Has anyone had any experience with, know of hearsay concerning shielding the piping walls internally.  The shielding would obviously need to be rigid in order to not sag and impose on the workers ability to do his job. 
Perhaps a lead sleeve that can be lowered/lifted into place, with an edge around the top that sets on the valve flange area.

Any idea where one would order special lead items?

Thanks for any input

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Shielding Valve Body, Internally
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:47 »
google radiation shielding

probably a good idea to know the isotopic mix that yer shielding against.  also, the percentage attributable to the lines as opposed to the emanation from the valve internal bowl.  also, the dose rate in the valve body area, so that the workers' upper body dose rates are disproportionate after the shielding is complete. 
have fun
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:35 »
The setup I have seen in a similar circumstance involved gross wipe of the internal pipe walls, coating with approved substance to fix the rest (Elmer's glue), and then shielding the line. A stainless steel barrier is a good place to rest conventional lead blankets.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:41 »
i've also seen work in valves like this that were done via extremity dose, i.e. shielding the plane of the valve with openings for arms and vision.  it depends on the operation to be performed. 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:40 »
If shielding is difficult and dose that high, just replace the valve. The dose vs cost will probably offset.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:38 »
If shielding is difficult and dose that high, just replace the valve. The dose vs cost will probably offset.

sorta depends ona valve, huh?  $250k valve will buy a lot of shielding, dose, 'n work now won't it?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?