Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Training and physicals?

Author Topic: Training and physicals?  (Read 13775 times)

Offline JApluto

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Training and physicals?
« on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:00 »
I had recently applied for a job at a large DOE site that gets plenty of funds. I was told that I could not work there unless my physical was current. The prospective company said they will not pay for the physical. I have done maybe about 10 years worth of DOE and I have never had to pay for my physical. I could understand that policy if it were a very short term job, but I was told this job could last for up to two years. It seems to me that these companies find ways NOT to hire a prospective candidate. I am currently laid off and I can't afford to pay for insurance so I would have to pay for the physical myself I was told.
Am I wrong for having a sour attitude toward this situation? It seems to me that that policy would alienate alot of good people.
Looking for comments or concern.
Thanks

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Training and physicals?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:04 »
I haven't worked DOE, but I hear many DOE workers (and former workers) complain that contract companies push things like this down to the employees.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline JApluto

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:33 »
I have been in sitautions before when the hiring company requires something of that nature prior to hire. I did it and then the contractor onsite did not think it was adequate so I did it again anyways once I got there. So what's the point? Why spend a few hundred dollars of my own money for it to get rejected anyway? Alot of times these companies want their OWN doctor to look at you for liabllity reasons. So why should I put up my own money for something that might or might not be accepted?
That's the point of view I've been taking.
Thanks.

Dan_E.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:40 »
Maybe you should check out some of the other DOE sites?

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:01 »
Go commercial.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:15 »
So why should I put up my own money for something that might or might not be accepted?

ya shouldn't.  iunless the company is willing to supply your physician with all the tests required for the physical exam and is willing, in advance, to take that physician's opinion of your physical state as a result of the exam there is absolutely no reason that you, as an unemployed future employee, should be required to fund the exam.  however, if they insist upon your assuming the responsibility for the exam, and are willing to go the aforementioned conditions, then it would be prudent to request an adequate pay rate to allow you to become reimbursed for the expediture within a resonable amount of time, say a month on a year long contract.  as a sweetener for the employer, you should offer to maintain the physical exam in a current state for the contract duration.  since this will be a pass through for the employer, they shouldn't have a problem with it.  except for the site management, they may figger ya to be too smart for them to manage.   ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2006, 11:17 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

alphadude

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2006, 09:23 »
its a low ball bid method. OSHA physicals can run a few hundred dollars or more. You are the owner of that info in this case, if you have to get the physical, show them that you passed and then if they want the info they should have to pay for it or pay you back.  sounds fishy

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2006, 09:58 »
I could be wrong, but I thought it was illegal to base hiring someone on a physical. I thought they actually had to hire you then you took the physical.

Anyway, hubby has worked DOE for a few years with a couple of different companies and we have NEVER had to pay for the physical. I would look elsewhere for a job.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:10 »
OSHA physicals can run a few hundred dollars or more. You are the owner of that info in this case, if you have to get the physical, show them that you passed and then if they want the info they should have to pay for it or pay you back. 

Classic!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline JApluto

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2006, 12:09 »
I kind of thought the same thing. You had to be HIRED first. It's hard enough trying to keep up all these quals when you are constantly working yourself out of a job and quals lapse because of it. I just try to think of it that a company that has a policy like that doesn't care if they get high quality people. Sometimes ya got to "help a brotha out" to get them back on their feet and a company that has policies like that, maybe I should't work for them anyway. I would think that if a company really wants somebody to work for them they would invest into their employees.
I mean I would figure >12 years in the business, NRRPT, degree, and prior management experience would be something of value. Maybe it's not!
This was just for a Tech job. Thats it. If they let something as stupid as a physical get in their way of being successful, then that's their problem.
Oh well!
Thanks

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:44 »
Hell, just make up a form on your computer and fill it out yourself.  NO one is going to call up the doctor and verify.  I've done it several times over the years using the same type of form the doctors use--they're all the same.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:05 »
Falsify records? Hope that is a poor attempt at humor. That would be difficult to overcome in the future.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:29 »
Hell, just make up a form on your computer and fill it out yourself.  NO one is going to call up the doctor and verify.  I've done it several times over the years using the same type of form the doctors use--they're all the same.

Hands over ears (or eyes as case must be) LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

BuddyThePug

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2006, 09:52 »
I could be wrong, but I thought it was illegal to base hiring someone on a physical. I thought they actually had to hire you then you took the physical.

Anyway, hubby has worked DOE for a few years with a couple of different companies and we have NEVER had to pay for the physical. I would look elsewhere for a job.

The employer can make a conditional offer, and then have a medical done to examine for any limitations within the bona fide conditions of employment for the position description. They can't go on a fishing expedition for disabilities outside of the BCOE. Section B.3 in  http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/guidance-contingent.html  which is part of EEOC Enforcement guidelines gives some good concise explanantion.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?