Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rent-a-tech company improvements?  

Poll

Would a Co-Op company of Nukeworker.com radtechs succeed, with input listed in this thread?

Yes
31 (46.3%)
No
36 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Rent-a-tech company improvements?  (Read 106281 times)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Rent-a-tech company improvements?
« on: Dec 16, 2006, 10:53 »
If you could do one thing to improve a rent-a-tech company, what would it be?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Gonzo

Re: Rent-a-tech company improvements?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:18 »
the only contract company i've worked for is bartlett and i only have one complaint, per diem should never be pulled as they do if you miss or take time off..  per diem should be paid, period..  if your absenteeism is a problem then deal with it as appropriate but per diem is to cover our living expenses and those don't change because you've been sick.. that having been said, since i knew those were the terms when i took the jobs, i accepted it as a cost of doing business...

vikingfan

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:24 »
Direct deposit of payroll and perdiem with out any limitations such as I should not have to work a specific period of time to qualify for direct deposit it should be an acceptable benefit of employment.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:35 »
my  improvement would be an acknowledgement of company loyalty.  for instance, after a year of loyal work to company "a", a paid stipend during unemployment periods would occur.  after five years of loyal work to company "a", a reduction in health care costs.  after ten years of loyal work to company "a", free booze 'n a motel room at da christmas party.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:49 »
•   Inexpensive insurance that has insanely good coverage
•   Contribute to 401k
•   Travel pay that isn’t capped, and pays hours of travel as well as miles at federal limits
•   Vacation time that is accrued weekly, and paid out as needed
•   Paid Holidays
•   All hours worked on holidays to be time and a half
•   Federal per diem rates that isn’t lost on sick days
•   Paid sick days
•   $5/hr more for everyone

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2006, 01:14 »
my  improvement would be an acknowledgement of company loyalty...

I like this idea...maybe another incentive could be an increased employer-matching-on-401K with increased time with company...

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2006, 01:39 »
one suggestion i would have is for example,
If you choose not to take the company insurance said company kicks in
some $$ weekly to help off set the cost of finding private insurance.
Seems to me that this would save $$ for the company while the employee
is employed & no cost of the Cobra when not working.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:43 »
•   Contribute to 401k
•   Travel pay that isn’t capped, and pays hours of travel as well as miles at federal limits
•   Paid Holidays
•   Paid sick days

But to put the rubber bootie on the other foot.....could we nuclear and business-savvy Nukeworkers actually operate such a business at a modest profit? If so, then it is easier to make it happen with your own company (did any coffee shops give 401(k) and health benefits before Starbucks?) and lead the way.

If we can't make money doing it this way ourselves, how would we expect any other company to do so?

illegalsmile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006, 05:34 »
•   Contribute to 401k
•   Paid Holidays
•   Paid sick days

So when is Rennhack Nuclear Services, Inc taking applications? With policies like that you'd have more employees than you could ever put to work.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:28 »
So when is Rennhack Nuclear Services, Inc taking applications? With policies like that you'd have more employees than you could ever put to work.

With policies like that, I'd never win a contract. 

Besides, Rennhack is not in the staff augmentation business.  I'm just here to help people.

allforthenukie

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:45 »
Direct deposit please.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:01 »
I would prefer going back to the days of recruiters that actually called and recruited people. Also as long as we are dreaming I actually liked having health insurance paid for by the company, profit sharing, stock options, prepaid plane tickets to the job and rental cars with gas expenses reimbursed weekly. We sure have made progress in the last 30 years haven't we????

vikingfan

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:46 »
1. lower health insurance premiums. maintained during layoff period also.
2. direct deposit of payroll and per diem into our checking accounts or company debit card accounts ( masterlee does this, as do some others).
3. paid travel at your rate for the travel time to and from each site plus 1 day perdiem and mileage.
4. accrued vacation hours.
5. rental cars that company bills to the site plus 1 tank of gas paid.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2006, 09:48 by vikingfan »

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:07 »
is anyone out there reading the posts on this thread i wonder????

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2006, 11:46 »
is anyone out there reading the posts on this thread i wonder????

I'm sure there are, but as long as outages keep getting staffed, there's no incentive for them to change the way they do business.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:03 »
Do away with all district managers and personnel that don't generate ANY money for the company. Then they could pay the techs a decent wage and  could afford their own insurance.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

diliigaf

« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2006, 02:16 »
Do away with all district managers and personnel that don't generate ANY money for the company. Then they could pay the techs a decent wage and  could afford their own insurance.

8) Good point Spanky... :)

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2006, 03:01 »
I'm sure there are, but as long as outages keep getting staffed, there's no incentive for them to change the way they do business.

yeah, i would agree with you on that.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Fantasy (football) new Rad-Tech services company
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2006, 10:21 »
Would a Co-Op company of Nukeworker.com radtechs succeed, with input listed in this thread?

Let's get those candid replies and suggestions going!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
Re: Fantasy (football) new Rad-Tech services company
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2006, 10:51 »
Yes, would have company loyality.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2006, 05:29 »
the biggest problem I would see with this would be unrealistic expectations from SOME technicians concerning pay and benefits.  I hear some people whining about stuff not realizing that money doesn't grow on trees.  Some gripes are legit but some make me cringe.  health care could be a deal breaker here.....think about it.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:14 »
Definitely agree with you there. The COBRA bite comes from nearly all plans requiring that you are an employee receiving wages all year to keep benefits that the level you are currently paying (since the employer is only paying the huge portion we don't see, when you are earning wages).

You might have to finagle a deal where in the Co-Op plan, you are paying a lot of the whole year's health premium up front to cover all 12 month's of the tech's contribution share. It is still overhead to the Co-Op, so there would likely need to be a provision where the tech had to commit to a minimum of "x" number of outages/year which would cover the Co-Ops overhead.

Various things would be a trade-off. In order for the Co-Op to have low overhead, there wouldnt be many recruiters or other sweet voices on the phone, so some techs might feel insufficient lovins. A baseline year-round "real" health care plan is probably feasible, at the expense of rental cars or huge bonuses going away.

Profit sharing would be great....but in the places where I have worked that had it, a significant portion of your "compensation" was at risk depending on how the company did. How many techs would do the math and realize that the $3/hr they are giving up now for profit sharing, could be 0, or $3000 at year's end?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:27 »
yes, i agree with buddy.  there are many good people out there, but the bad apples you would inevitably have in your barrel may spoil the lot.  this would require some type of control from a somewhat untouchable source, which would then negate the reason you would want the co-op in the first place.  it could work, but would require some luck and an ingenious system.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:18 »
The union portion of the discussion has been split off, and can be found here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9625.0.html

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2006, 01:00 »
I would prefer going back to the days of recruiters that actually called and recruited people. Also as long as we are dreaming I actually liked having health insurance paid for by the company, profit sharing, stock options, prepaid plane tickets to the job and rental cars with gas expenses reimbursed weekly. We sure have made progress in the last 30 years haven't we????

Watch your karma rise my friend, this is the best post I've seen in a while. As far as recruiters are concerned sometimes they still call when they really need you; case in point this past month they called hubby and wanted to know would he go somewhere, he confirmed but now their overbooked...hmmm someone wasn't paying attention to what they were doing.

I liked the rental car and plane ticket idea. I remember thoe days fondly. My dad was site coord and the rental car place gave out green stamps for every car rented, man did I have a blast spending them!!!

vikingfan

« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2006, 01:19 »
good thing there are still companies out there that provide rental cars and airline tickets to their employees :):):) it sure saves the mileage on my vehicle.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2006, 01:20 by vikingfan »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:20 »
I don't think it would work. Rent-a-techs are not like other disciplines (but maybe if over-the-road owner operator truckers collected unemployment 6 months out of the year...).

The freedoms of road techs are too contrary to the sacrifice and discipline in order to improve the general good of the work force...

I don't have a problem with Co-ops or with rent-a-techs, but I can't see them in the same picture.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Cathy

« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2006, 09:29 »
Amen, couldn't have said it better. The thicker the management layer, the thinner the pay and benefits for the people actually generating the income.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:10 »
   "One of the major differences between Bartlett and our competitiors in the radiation safety field is the technical depth of our Home Office staff. For example, our Home Office staff includes three former radiation protection managers, members of ANSI committees, and representatives on various Nuclear Energy Institiute working task forces."  Bartlett Nuclear Inc. Chief Technical Officer

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:27 »
•   Contribute to 401k
•   Paid Holidays
•   Paid sick days

spoke like a tru rode hoar.  get alla bennies 'n take 'em wit cha!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:02 »
   "One of the major differences between Bartlett and our competitiors in the radiation safety field is the technical depth of our Home Office staff. For example, our Home Office staff includes three former radiation protection managers, members of ANSI committees, and representatives on various Nuclear Energy Institiute working task forces."  Bartlett Nuclear Inc. Chief Technical Officer

And they generate how much?

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:50 »
I would be happier if the office staff had a little more communication skills instead of the technical skills...return calls to messages left on voice mail; replies to email's etc.  Know what I mean?
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:43 »
Well since it's the holiday season, how about:

1. A bonus
2. Gift cards or Incentives
3. A party or dinner that you don't have to pay to go to

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2006, 07:57 »

Whats up with that?  I'm at Rowe and the Yankee Holiday party was that way, everyone had to pay their own way.  I just don't get that.

Cathy

« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:11 »
How about more assistance/training for people who have problems with the NUF. I would think it would be in the rent-a-tech company's best interest. Something besides just sending a generic book to study on your own time. Maybe in tap into some of the 'technical depth' to come up with some tech friendly training programs  ;D

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:18 »
Whats up with that?  I'm at Rowe and the Yankee Holiday party was that way, everyone had to pay their own way.  I just don't get that.

WOW, ya'll actually had a party?

I don't know, but it just seems to me that most of us have outgrown the old college days of everyone kicking in for a keg. LOL But to be honest we'd probably have more fun doing that than choking down food that we paid waaay too much for, drinks we can't afford and oh don't forget the discount hotel rooms that are often available. LOL

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2006, 02:06 »
That's a great list of improvements, but it is also an all inclusive list of what has been lost over the years! 

Maximizing their profits can only be accomplished by minimizing their expenses,(US)!  Kind of stange when you think about it, but they can't make a dime without us! 

I have one, How about a contract company that recognizes their staff as an asset, instead of a number on the white board!  At least put a name to the number!

RG.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:12 »
Well since it's the holiday season, how about:

itz a freaking business!  dat poor h.r. director iz jist trieing two cut her losses, maybee git a little positive cash flo going.... she gotta half sum bullets to go intwo da meeting in january. 

not dat i know da h.r. director is female, don't get me rong.  i refer to alla office workers as skirts 'n don't look at'em as scots.   ;)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:49 »
itz a freaking business!  dat poor h.r. director iz jist trieing two cut her losses, maybee git a little positive cash flo going.... she gotta half sum bullets to go intwo da meeting in january. 

not dat i know da h.r. director is female, don't get me rong.  i refer to alla office workers as skirts 'n don't look at'em as scots.   ;)

Yes it is a business, one that without its workers would be nothing. How is it that many companies have an "office" Holiday party and forget the poor working men or women who actually keep their job secure?

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2006, 01:16 »
I still got my white bartlett jacket in my closet somewhere. I got that early in the 90s. Another tech asked how come I got a whilte one. I replied that I was offered white or blue. It hit the fan when his option was only blue. You cant win for losin!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2006, 12:45 »
Yes it is a business, one that without its workers would be nothing. How is it that many companies have an "office" Holiday party and forget the poor working men or women who actually keep their job secure?

oh hail, i dunno.  maybe it goes back to the day of real industry, when office parties were for office workers 'n working stiffs payed fer der own shots 'n beers at da bar across da street phrum da mill 'n den dey went home.  eye meen, yinz look at pictures of da office parties of yore, wit secretaries smooching da boss, where are da lunch pails piled?  beside the topcoats?  i think knot. 
but iffen yer ideer of company improvement is a party, then you must be mighty satified wit yer position in life, huh?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Rent-a-tech company improvements? - company party
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:40 »
OK, the party for the RPs here was paid for, except the drinks. I was actually gonna go. But then management decided to tweak me for a minor slip of professionalism (i wrote a joke on a dose  card - non-QA record) and I realized that I didn't really wanna eat with them bastages anyway.
So I had a great family evening with my GF & all the kids - better company fer sure!!

As a house mouse, I would love to see the rentatechs be treated like Diablo does it - yer in the union, hired by the company, gets paid the same as house, hourly, travel, perdiem, etc.

Not gonna happen in Entergy.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakah, Happy Kwanzaa, Joyful Winter Solstice, Peaceful Ramadan, may your inner Grinch grow a heart 7 sizes larger... ;D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #42 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:15 »
oh hail, i dunno.  maybe it goes back to the day of real industry, when office parties were for office workers 'n working stiffs payed fer der own shots 'n beers at da bar across da street phrum da mill 'n den dey went home.  eye meen, yinz look at pictures of da office parties of yore, wit secretaries smooching da boss, where are da lunch pails piled?  beside the topcoats?  i think knot. 
but iffen yer ideer of company improvement is a party, then you must be mighty satified wit yer position in life, huh?

Your missing the point, I am talking about good PR and interaction between management and their employees. I believe this is essential to running a successful business and I also believe that the lack of it is one of the reasons so many people are unhappy with many of the employers talked about on this site. The only reason I brought up the subject of a party is because of the holidays.

I can assure you that with more than 30 years of my family working in the nuclear industry that I am WELL aware of what is needed, from better pay, more benefits and certainly better job security to educational programs, longer and better outage schedules (come on you guys/the utilities lets work together on this one) to the building of new nuclear plants and last but not least a better plan for the storage of nuclear waste.

Now for your last comment about me being satisfied with my position in life… what more could a girl ask for?  I have a great husband of 27+ years, 3 wonderful children, the most beautiful granddaughter anyone could ask for and I just graduated from college at 48 with a BA in Psychology. To top it off I get to travel this wonderful country seeing places I never dreamed of and meeting new people. And to put icing on the cake, Mike allows me to be a moderator for this crazy but equally wonderful web site!

jjordan

« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:20 »
Your missing the point, I am talking about good PR and interaction between management and their employees. I believe this is essential to running a successful business and I also believe that the lack of it is one of the reasons so many people are unhappy with many of the employers talked about on this site.

Last I checked at my utility, most if not all of the communication is written by a third party. Lets take a mutiple guess quiz here! (HP's will love this!) ;D

Why is the communications at most major utilities between management and employees authored by a third party?
A. They really don't care about us. It's all part of the job.
B. They don't have a clue as to what the real problem is.
C. They aren't able to communicate effectively without a lot of help.
D. Thier Sr. management doesn't trust them either.
E  All of the above!

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:41 »
 If they put a travel cap on them maybe they wouldnt come out and give us a pep talk.  Starting to get a lot of chiefs around here.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2007, 03:44 by biloxoi blues »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:10 »
I'll second the direct deposit...or third or fourth (what ever its up to)

The only other thing would be to put a little less distance between us and the house techs.  If they are making $32/hour I would be ok if we were say at $28 - $30.  I have seen plants that are that close and some that are as much as $11/hr different.

I hear everyone about the insurance rates and other benefits but lets be realistic.  We work as temp. employees, take a look at the package you would get working for Addecco or Westaff or another temp. agency of your choice.  They just can't offer that sort of thing and stay competetive.  More and more there are opportunities for us to look for house jobs and the future looks even better.  If you want all of that stuff it is available in this industry, you just have to fight for one of these positions.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2007, 05:16 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:21 »
Oh yea!  There is one thing...Trinkets, where are my freakin' trinkets.
I can't get a hat or shirt or jacket to save my freakin' life!  Since 1992 I have exactally one worn out hat that says Bartlett on it and I am pretty sure that it was used when I got it!

Hey Mr. Bartlett...Can I get some trinkets? :)
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:25 »
I can't get a hat or shirt or jacket to save my freakin' life!  Since 1992 I have exactally one worn out hat that says Bartlett on it and I am pretty sure that it was used when I got it!

eye tink da answer to dis question is in the post immediately proceeding ....
" They just can't offer that sort of thing and stay competetive. "
.... dat sorta thing.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2007, 02:44 »

You need to hit your site coordinator up for that stuff.  Most choose to give the goodies to the management and house techs only.  The cool ones hook the techs up too. ;^)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:03 »
eye tink da answer to dis question is in the post immediately proceeding ....
" They just can't offer that sort of thing and stay competetive. "
.... dat sorta thing.

Touché! 

Hell, I'd pay $5 for a decent hat! ;)
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:05 »
You need to hit your site coordinator up for that stuff.  Most choose to give the goodies to the management and house techs only.  The cool ones hook the techs up too. ;^)

Thats the funny part...Some of the time I room with an old friend of mine who is the coordinator at some of the sites I work!  I feel so used...
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

LaFeet

« Reply #51 on: Oct 19, 2007, 09:49 »
The company in question needs to cut it's overhead to the minimum.  Increase the benefits and pay to the workers. 
Let us have a fair portion of our billing, after all, we are doing the work.   The extraneous work force that seemingly can not keep up with  the work force needs to be streamlined, saving overhead .... save a small amount of the billing for company expansion.
If more plants start the tech placement like Diablo... look out Big Blue.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #52 on: Oct 20, 2007, 09:44 »

Let us have a fair portion of our billing, after all, we are doing the work. 

seams two me da paycheck duz dis.

justatech

« Reply #53 on: Oct 20, 2007, 03:31 »

The only ones that hooked me up was Ken Gaynor (Palisades) and Barry Keele (Calloway) - they took care of all of us......................... 8)

LaFeet

« Reply #54 on: Oct 22, 2007, 02:10 »
seams two me da paycheck duz dis.

How much of the billing for yur position do you get SloGlo???  Ima kuryus

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #55 on: Oct 22, 2007, 12:08 »
Let us have a fair portion of our billing, after all, we are doing the work.   
LaFeet, excuse me for interupting your converstation but I was wondering since YOU do all of the work - what to you is a fair portion - 75%, 80%, 90%?
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

alphadude

« Reply #56 on: Oct 22, 2007, 02:15 »
la feet u is dreemin, i understand your socialist view but the business of business is business- if you want profit share buy stock, start your own company, go 1099 or whatever..  what business owner in his right mind would give a someone (who at best has his own self interest above the companies) any share of the profit or markup...  you took the job, you agreed to the wage, live with it.... or go do something else..

besides billing rates are considered company information and property and I bet that discussion of the billing rate and your pay rate with anybody is a violaton of your terms of employment..and you could be subject to termination without recompense. 

why dont u call ford or somebody and complain.. a typical $30,000 car only cost about $8500 to make.. go figure

rjc4243

« Reply #57 on: Oct 22, 2007, 03:46 »
 ???  Just remember that the billing also includes the 7.5 % the coy needs to pay in addition to the SS that you pay.  How about the interest on the money they need to pay your salary that they do not receive until some time later than you get yours.  Then there are taxes on the money they make, and additional overhead for the people that do your pay, billing of hours, and several other positions, that need to be paid from the billing.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #58 on: Oct 22, 2007, 03:50 »
???  Just remember that the billing also includes the 7.5 % the coy needs to pay in addition to the SS that you pay.  How about the interest on the money they need to pay your salary that they do not receive until some time later than you get yours.  Then there are taxes on the money they make, and additional overhead for the people that do your pay, billing of hours, and several other positions, that need to be paid from the billing.

LaFeet dosen't want to hear about reality, why waste your time to try to convince him?

The REALITY if the situation is that the cost of doing buisness is 22% to 40% of the workers wage (assuming average bennies).  Anything after that is profit.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2007, 03:53 by Rennhack »

LaFeet

« Reply #59 on: Oct 23, 2007, 02:25 »
Gentlemen... I do want to hear what it actually cost to permit me to work at a nuclear plant.  Please feel free tom post the number of postions that is required to allow me to work, the percentages of what pay I support others and the amount of profit that I loose to the company.

I know that I am being payed less than what is billed for me... I just think that there could be an increase in efficiency on the company's part.... one tht would raise the tech's wages and encourage better performance.

Sorry I hit a sore nerve... and yes, I do think I deserve more.  Yes, I agree to work for the wages I sign on for, gladly so.  And yes, I enjoy the work I do.

I do not do all the work, I said we.  I do work hard and give 110 % no matter where I sign on. 

Mr. Bartlett... I still enjoy working for your company, but I honestly think that there should be an increase in the techs wages and that Bartlett could streamline their operation.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 06:16 by LaFeet »

LaFeet

« Reply #60 on: Oct 23, 2007, 06:19 »
LaFeet dosen't want to hear about reality, why waste your time to try to convince him?

The REALITY if the situation is that the cost of doing buisness is 22% to 40% of the workers wage (assuming average bennies).  Anything after that is profit.

Prove it to me... and I dont receive any bennies....  I have an open mind and love to learn.  Show me how you operate.

As for reality... Im out here working my a$$ off without any complaints, bitches or moans.  And as long as I enjoy doing this work, I hope to be gainfully employed.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #61 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:10 »
I do not do all the work, I said we.  I do work hard and give 110 % no matter where I sign on. 

Mr. Bartlett... I still enjoy working for your company, but I honestly think that there should be an increase in the techs wages and that Bartlett could streamline their operation.

I hear what you are saying. But read the talk about companies threads: everyone is saying what a great outfit they are for paying via Direct Deposit or how far behind the curve a company is for not having a large enough office / HQ staff to handle such details. Most demand the benefits of a larger company more loudly than they demand the higher pay. That is why I would prefer to work for Bartlett over Joe's Techs (and wonder if my check would clear 2 days after payday).

And even though you give 110%, the utility doesn't! Bartlett can't pay you 110% of what they receive, even though the utility would surely say you are worth it. I doubt Bartlett will give you a higher percentage, when the percieved demand is increasing faster than demand. But if they get a better contract and give you the same percentage, it will feel the same (and there will still be someone at the office to handle your Direct Deposit).

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #62 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:49 »
Based on 167 hrs worked in 1 month.  My cost to employ you would be:

FICA    277.18
Workman's Compensation    242.00
Medical Insurance    228.96
Holiday    204.00
General Liability     125.00
Medicare    64.82
PPE    39.59
Federal Unemployment    4.67
State Unemployment    2.05

Total Cost    1,188.27 / 167 = 7.12/hr

29% markup on $24.50+7.12=31.62

With no account for overhead.  I would lose money if I charged $32/hr for you, and paid you $24.50.

Now... If I could get a utility to allow me to pay you $34.50... My costs go down.  Most of the big ticket expenses remain about the same.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 08:54 by Rennhack »

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Oct 23, 2007, 12:40 »
Gentlemen... I do want to hear what it actually cost to permit me to work at a nuclear plant.  Please feel free tom post the number of postions that is required to allow me to work, the percentages of what pay I support others and the amount of profit that I loose to the company.

I know that I am being payed less than what is billed for me... I just think that there could be an increase in efficiency on the company's part.... one tht would raise the tech's wages and encourage better performance.

Sorry I hit a sore nerve... and yes, I do think I deserve more.  Yes, I agree to work for the wages I sign on for, gladly so.  And yes, I enjoy the work I do.

LaFeet - Please don’t get me wrong, I was attempting to educate you and others on what it takes - I probably went about it a little to adversarial...anyways take or leave what I have to tell you, it is your choice. 

Most companies Bartlett's size operate with twice the overhead Bartlett has - we have streamlined about as far as one can and still function - for example the biggest complaint I hear out there nowadays is its damned hard to get thru to a recruiter - that’s because we are operating with less recruiters than we had in the 90's but staffing almost twice the amount of work - and that’s not just tightening up on recruiting but all of the departments here in corporate.  That’s one of the main reasons why we were so attractive to our new owners, we did more with less.

Most mark-ups in this industry are as Mike pointed out are anywhere from 22% to 40% based on different variables - for example a solo gig may call for a higher mark-up to justify its worth where as on a multiple person contract the mark-ups are pitifully low so we are not making a whole helluva lot of money off the individual but as a group we turn a profit.  Kinda like asking one person for 10 dollars as compared to asking 10 people for 1 dollar - you get the same amount of money, it just takes allot more people to get you there.  HP and Decon contracts in this industry (commercial) are notoriously low mark-ups.

Anyways getting back to the original question I had asked "what to you is a fair portion 75%, 80%, 90%" I was looking for an answer because right now on the standard outage you are keeping anywhere from 75% to 80% or more of the billing rate.  So for simplicities sake lets say we have a billing rate of 10/hr and you keep 75%, or $7.50.  The other 2.50 now has to cover all of the items Mike listed - FICA. Workman's, Medical, Holidays (the utilities rarely pay holidays on the standard HP outage contract, but they will dictate to us which one we must pay), General Liability. Medicare, PPE. Fed Unemployment, and State Unemployment plus we have to pay the people that hired you, badged you(at most sites), paid your diem(oh and in case you were not aware Perdiem, travel and other misc. expense related items are a direct pass thru meaning we bill what we pay out not more so the only thing we can turn a profit on is the hourly rates), paid your hourly, handled your insurance, billed the utility so we can pay your diem and hourly, typed your resume, etc.. plus we have other expenses such as heat in the winter, computers, phone bills, electric bills, leases , mortgages and or property taxes.  Then we have the non billable people out there that we need to pay such as most admin assistants on site during outages, regional managers that are an integral part of paying homage to clients, some site coordinator slots, etc...  So to look at it in perspective I have 1 person working at Plant X, my markup is going to be high to pay all for that where as I have 75 RP's working an outage my mark-ups are real low because we aren’t looking for the gross profit on one tech to pay all of the above and more, we are looking for the combined gross profit on all of the techs to pay all of the above. 

Believe you me when it comes to making more money as an individual I am all for it, as I’ve said in the past the more I can pay the more you make plus the more I can bill thus the more we make.  Its allot easier to staff a job paying 28/hr and 110/day as compared to 22/hr and 85/day.  I understand where you are coming from on this but until our clients give us a "the sky is the limit" billing rate we are stuck trying to squeeze pennies out of each billable slot in hopes that those pennies add up to dollars.  The day they don’t is the day we go under.

Eric

PS I am glad you enjoy working for us and I'm gald that you have asked the questions or made the statements you did.  Keep up the questioning and if i dont know the answer I'll make up a great BS story :) just kidd'n if i dont have the answere i'm sure someone like Mike, or Biercourt, or one of the many other posters will jump in to explain how things work.
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #64 on: Oct 23, 2007, 02:06 »
Then we have the non billable people out there that we need to pay such as...regional managers that are an integral part of paying homage to clients... 

:(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

rjc4243

« Reply #65 on: Oct 23, 2007, 03:25 »
 ;) Very good answer Eric.  There is a lot to run a company that is not seen by everyone.

alphadude

« Reply #66 on: Oct 23, 2007, 06:45 »
beware of people that give 110% , they have low standards..

(hint for resume writers never never use that phrase-we were taught to screen out all the 110% resume people and put them on the other pile..its a flag)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Oct 23, 2007, 11:13 »
I believe you should be able to earn vacation days. Some of us have been employed (as contractors) with Bartlett for 15 - 20 years seems to me that we could earn a paid day off once in a while.

I would also like to see a wage increase put into affect - even $1.00 an hour would be a start.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #68 on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:58 »
beware of people that give 110% , they have low standards..

(hint for resume writers never never use that phrase-we were taught to screen out all the 110% resume people and put them on the other pile..its a flag)

I have always had a major problem with the 'giving 110%' bit, too. In addition to being impossible, it is trite and more than a little arrogant.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #69 on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:16 »
Where pay is concerned, I get the argument for overhead, comp insurance etc. I don't disagree with Eric's answer for where the money goes and I commend you for having the backbone to routinely get on these forums and enlighten us. I believe it to be honest info.

That being said, I think there is an argument to be made for the drastic swing in pay from site to site. Currently I am making within' $3 - $5 of my house tech partners (excluding any benefits) and I am pretty satisfied with that, it seems fair. My next site will be in one of the more expensive areas of the country and I will be making $15/hour less than my house tech partners (again, excluding any benefits). In conversation with a laborer that is working with me at my current site and also going to my next site I found out that I will be making $12/hour less than him (also excluding benefits) and I will also be giving up $1/hour from the last time I was there along with a $1/hour bonus that will not be available this time. I should be spanked for accepting this "deal". It is unfortunate that I need the work right now.

It seems like Big Blue has a significant amount of the commercial work out there and could lean on these plants a bit when contract time is up. How can we really think that we are considered a Professional group when we are treated like this? I know people with no education working in a factory hanging fenders day in and day out that dwarf our income. We travel hundreds of miles from home, provide a "professional" service and carry tremendous responsibility (arguably the most) and make less than a laborer (in some cases).
Why should we have to travel into a new town and look for a shoebox, flea bag motel to stay in because we have to try and save per-diem to make up for pay?

I have been back in this business for a little over a year and many of you will see that I have changed my mind set a bit in the past few months. I still love my job and believe that there are many doing more for less, but I have been educated by observation and conversation over the last year and now realize that we are not being treated fairly when compared to other groups. I don't hold the contract companies soley responsible for this, it is a combination. It is our fault for accepting this, it is the contract companies fault for weak account management, and all of our faults for not considering our selves professionals and demanding that we be treated as such.

Other than that...I still think we should get some company trinkets :)
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #70 on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:49 »
Regarding company trinkets, I know most of us love them and think we deserve them (heck I don't work for Bartlett but I'd LOVE a jacket); anyway here's my idea why not give them out on a points system.

The more points you earn the next trinket level you go to... I'd even love to see pins and hat pins maybe then we could start a swap... speaking of pins why not honor those that have worked for you faithfully for a set amount of years like 5, 10,....

Idea number two make trinkets a part of the welcoming package, everybody gets some little something...

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2007, 11:51 by Camella Black »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #71 on: Oct 25, 2007, 07:56 »
How much of the billing for yur position do you get SloGlo???  Ima kuryus

my lastest hpt position, i grossed 60% of billing rate.

LaFeet

« Reply #72 on: Oct 26, 2007, 06:51 »

LaFeet - Please don’t get me wrong, I was attempting to educate you and others on what it takes - I probably went about it a little to adversarial...anyways take or leave what I have to tell you, it is your choice. 

Believe you me when it comes to making more money as an individual I am all for it, as I’ve said in the past the more I can pay the more you make plus the more I can bill thus the more we make.  Its allot easier to staff a job paying 28/hr and 110/day as compared to 22/hr and 85/day.  I understand where you are coming from on this but until our clients give us a "the sky is the limit" billing rate we are stuck trying to squeeze pennies out of each billable slot in hopes that those pennies add up to dollars.  The day they don’t is the day we go under.

Eric

Eric, thanks for the response.
As for a percentage of what I would feel is fair.... I would have to see the actual numbers.

I am willing to take home less when the margin between billing and profit is less say when there is only 5 dollars per hour to support the remainder of the company.  But when there is a greater margin, lets see more go into the techs paycheck as well. Again, I would like to see the actual numbers. But I know that that will never happen.

I know that there is a great amount of support that requires money to maintain, and I am  thankfull for that being there.  I, unlike many, do not need direct deposit, medical or dental insurance, or a number of other amenitites.  And while it may have seemed that I was complaining at first, I am not.

As for all the 110 % comments.... arrogant - yes, but those that have worked with me know my work ethics.  Keep me busy or send me home. I hope that I never dissappoint those people that I work for....it would be a massive failing on my part.

Good luck to all and hope to see you down the road

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #73 on: Oct 27, 2007, 10:19 »
$5 after wages to support da resta da company?  whoinell due you no who wood werk four dat?  pleez, run yer numbers hear two show how dats worthwile fer any group uv peepal. 

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: Oct 27, 2007, 10:53 »
Ok let me jump in on this one for a minute. Let's face the facts everyone wants a pay increase. What is the number one thing that goes up for us on the road and everyone else the cost! inflation!! You guys are missing the point, PERDIEM!!! It's the only direct pass through, costs Bartlett nothing other than check processing fees and it's a write off for the utilities. We still get well under the Federal Government rate at most sites. Utilities! want to staff your outage fast and with the creme off the crop pay $150.00 a day and see what happen's.  ;D Let's face we should be payed like any other skilled trade at a site but until that day, give me cold hard cash, green backs ;) It would be nice to stay at a 5 star hotel without chewing up your whole per diem check. After all utilities pay USA tech's Federal Rate of Per Dieum :o
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2007, 12:23 by rocknrollrick »
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #75 on: Oct 27, 2007, 11:34 »
Ok let me jump in on this one for a minute. Let's face the facts everyone wants a pay increase. What is the number one thing that goes up for us on the road and everyone else the cost! inflation!! You guys are missing the point, PERDIEUM!!! It's the only direct pass through, costs Bartlett nothing other than check processing fees and it's a write off for the utilities. We still get well under the Federal Government rate at most sites. Utilities! want to staff your outage fast and with the creme off the crop pay $150.00 a day and see what happen's.  ;D Let's face we should be payed like any other skilled trade at a site but until that day, give me cold hard cash, green backs ;) It would be nice to stay at a 5 star hotel without chewing up your whole per dieum check. After all utilities pay USA tech's Federal Rate of Per Dieum :o
When I was on the road I never got more than 50 a day in per diem, even though the government rate was a lot more. I'm not sure of the tax law on per diem, but can't you claim the difference in the per diem you get compared to the per diem that is allowed on your taxes?

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #76 on: Oct 27, 2007, 12:25 »
Yes you can but it isn't the same as getting the cash :P
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #77 on: Oct 27, 2007, 12:52 »
The cash is always better, but that amount of per diem that is allowed is a pipe dream and writing off the difference is a way to offset what your not getting.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #78 on: Oct 27, 2007, 03:29 »
NO! NO! NO!
You can NOT write off the amount you are not getting as a tax deduction.  I'm not going to explain this again.  Use search.
I'd like to know what stupid son of a Junior Senator from New York came up with this bull$@!t.

By the way, "most sites" are located in rural counties far away from big cities.  (There is a reason for that).  This means that the normal US Nuclear Power Plant or DOE site is located in an area where the standard government per diem rate is only $109 as of 10/1/2007.  It was $99 before that.  This includes Salem/Hope Creek, where you are probably getting more than $109.  You are not getting as ripped off as you think.  At the most, you are probably getting $5 - $15 below the GSA rate.  Quit crying.  You don't spend it all anyway.  According to the tax law, you have to give back to your employer what you cannot account for.  Try actually getting paid for your work what it is worth.  (For some of you, this might mean a huge pay cut.)
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #79 on: Oct 27, 2007, 04:40 »
Damn it EB, you got me to chime in!

From my perspective, Diablo, (mentioned above), is the front runner in compensation for the industry’s RP/HP technicians, they also have a very unique hiring practice, (they get what they want, not what they get)!  Looks like the Spring season is most definitely going to bring some interesting staffing challenges for all of the utilities, all but one!

What Percentage should the Technicians Receive; Let the numbers do the talking!

Diablo's temp staff receives 100% of the utilities rate and usually staffs 100%, (with another 100%+ waiting in the wings)!  How many Health Physics OE's have we read from Diablo over the last decade?  How many regulatory issues have we read pertaining to Diablo’s Health Physics program?  Besides the compensation, I've heard that the utility maintains an atmosphere that is GENUINELY cordial, cooperative, friendly and professional which is a VERY RARE EXCEPTION in the Industry today.  I'm not sure of the actual returnee rate, but I've heard unverified rumors of 100%!  How about the experience and technical level of the up coming staff, (collectively and the per capita average)?  The baby of the bunch is probably going to come it at 15+ years experience.  I'm not sure who created this relationship, but it is refreshing to finally see a program maintained under a real professional venue!  It's probably just a California thing, and wont work anywhere else!       

Now the others side:  The technicians receive approximately 70% of the total billing rate and most facilities find themselves looking to fill a staffing deficit of 30% at crunch time, (some at a much higher rate)!  Resume reviews have become fairly simple, 4000 or 6000 hours and not much more!  Of course there is a plethora of excuses that get assigned to the staffing situation; the primary excuse being the number of available Technicians in the industry, (compensation packages and facility atmosphere are ridiculous considerations)!  Is there an actual shortage of technicians in the industry?  Obviously the answer is yes, but not to the extent that some advertise.  The factual statement would be a shortage of experienced technicians.  Agree or not, as the staff experience level increases, the necessary volume of the staff can decrease, you don’t have to pay people to watch people!  Sorry to say, but a greeter and repeater doesn’t account for field experience!  How many OE’s and regulatory issues have we read from these sites?  The required reading, at some sites, is running a close second in size to a New York phone book!  One has to also consider the reception at a lot of facilities; Contractors are Events waiting to happen!  Sadly enough I can’t supply a lot of opposition to those comments, the past year has brought many events that reinforce those opinions. I can safely say that the majority of those events are directly related to the individuals experience level.  I could beat this one to death, but it's all been said and read before. 

One has to wonder way Diablo doesn't have these problems?  I believe the West Coast approach should be a strong consideration in today’s market, since many of the utilities have a multi-site structure, why not hire as direct temps?  You can't argue that concept, considering that Big Blue was the front runner with the CORE concept. Maybe it’s time for a utility Fishing Expedition!  An open communications venue between the technicians and the utilities, internet based.  I believe a lot of utilities would be impressively surprised at the response and the actual resources still available in the industry.  After all requesting a resume, with verifiable references, isn’t a formal a contract, so why not give it a try!  Obviously the “it can’t be done” suggestion has been put to rest, because it is being done!

Mike, great information on the associated costs, you made it looks so simple.  Not that I would be privileged to any contract information, but why does it take between 30 to 50 pages to outline the bottom line details?

Have a Great Day....RG   8)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #80 on: Oct 27, 2007, 05:46 »
At Diablo Canyon we get an entry level wage (for a house HP) and federal rate perdiem. We also have the same deal where overtime and double time is concerned as the house techs under their union contract. This equals what we think is a big fat paycheck. What it really equals is the deal that we should be getting at all utilities. This Diablo deal is still minus any bene's like health insurance, a real 401K, pension etc. but it is the best in the business.

Other than the fat paychecks, there is a culture of hard work and respect. The management lives up to all of the promises that they make and not just the ones that suit them. If they promise you that you will be on site for 5 weeks and 3 days, you can count on being on site for 5 weeks and 3 days. In return for being treated with respect they require that we do the same in the form of hard work and taking initiative. I have worked with many of the techs that work Diablo at several other sites over the years. Most all of them are good techs no matter where we have worked together but most are SUPERSTAR techs when they are at Diablo. It is amazing the level most will rise to when they are treated fairly.

The comments about perdiem that we are only $5 - $15 below GSA rates is not an arguement and I don't believe it to be true. My next site I will be over $60/day below the Federal rate and I am nearly $50/day below at my current site. All of this is beside the point. If the Federal rate is $135/day then we should get $135/day, end of story.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #81 on: Oct 27, 2007, 08:30 »
NO! NO! NO!
You can NOT write off the amount you are not getting as a tax deduction.  I'm not going to explain this again.  Use search.
I'd like to know what stupid son of a Junior Senator from New York came up with this bull$@!t.

I don't remember asking you to explain. But seeing that you did anyway, the information given like all the information on this site is greatly appreciated. It would be a lot better without your crappy attitude. Lighten up!

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #82 on: Oct 28, 2007, 09:07 »
According to the tax law, you have to give back to your employer what you cannot account for.  Try actually getting paid for your work what it is worth.  (For some of you, this might mean a huge pay cut.)

Mr.Beercourt,

Having worked with you in the past, your statement speaks for itself. It surely holds true,
even a Blind Squirel can find a nut once in a while :P Blessed are they who go around in circles for the shall be called BIG WHEELS ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2007, 12:08 by rocknrollrick »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #83 on: Oct 28, 2007, 04:28 »
Hi Rick.  You know? .... I don't think we ever actually worked "together".  We were at some of the same outages when I was  a House Mouse, and we saw each other a few times at Calvert.  This hardly constitutes working together.  If you were on one of my crews at Ginna, all I can say is that I don't remember it.  So, your performance could not have been that bad.  I haven't judged you or the quality of your work here in the public pages of this site, and you are not the slightest bit qualified to do so to me.  If you feel that the comment about a pay cut was directed at you, I must point out that it was directed there by you - not me.  I would not presume to do such a thing.  I have no information on the quality of your work (as you have none about mine) so it would be unfair of me to make such a judgement.  Would it not?

Anyway, my point stands.  Per diem is a small fraction of what you should be earning.  Quit playing around with the horse crap of trying to wring a few bucks a day in per diem when you should be trying to get the hourly rate that you deserve.  The only people who should object to that are the ones who think that they deserve less than what they are getting now.  I don't think that anyone here fits that category.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2007, 04:32 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #84 on: Oct 28, 2007, 04:42 »
xobxdoc,
sorry about the 'tude, dude.  I just got a little frustrated because I have spent a lot of time and effort here to help people prevent the potentially costly mistake of taking phantom tax deductions for some per diem that they thought that they should get. It only takes one post here to open that can of worms again.

Anyway, the issue isn't really deductions or taxes.  It is people who are (for the most part) underpaid looking to settle for peanuts when they should be ordering some steaks.  Even an extra $50 a day in per diem would mean only an extra $7500 a year in take home pay to people who should be making 40 grand more than they are per year.  Per diem is crumbs.  Go for the cake!!

Did I stick enough metaphors and analogies in there, or is there room for one more.  I notice that they are all food-related (except for the worms).  It must be close to supper time.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #85 on: Oct 28, 2007, 08:40 »
all tho i have know problem with earning moor per our, it has all waze bin my point of contenshun dat iffen der is a per diem rate published four an area, dat is da rate dat shood bee payed.  no questshuns, no lies.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #86 on: Oct 28, 2007, 08:53 »
xobxdoc,
sorry about the 'tude, dude.  I just got a little frustrated because I have spent a lot of time and effort here to help people prevent the potentially costly mistake of taking phantom tax deductions for some per diem that they thought that they should get. It only takes one post here to open that can of worms again.

Anyway, the issue isn't really deductions or taxes.  It is people who are (for the most part) underpaid looking to settle for peanuts when they should be ordering some steaks.  Even an extra $50 a day in per diem would mean only an extra $7500 a year in take home pay to people who should be making 40 grand more than they are per year.  Per diem is crumbs.  Go for the cake!!

Did I stick enough metaphors and analogies in there, or is there room for one more.  I notice that they are all food-related (except for the worms).  It must be close to supper time.

When the frustration is gone...you make much sense. You are exactally right on these points. I still think that we need to get fed. rate diem but it really is about the hourly wage. "Hey, great news, we got the perdiem up $10/day this outage!" Big freakin' deal! We are owed the Federal rate so why should I be happy for anything less? And why does perdiem continue to be a point of negotiation? Perdiem is not pay!!! Lets talk about the fact that we rental techs get paid like un-skilled labor workers.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #87 on: Oct 28, 2007, 11:44 »
rental techs get paid like un-skilled labor workers.

Commodities.

illegalsmile

« Reply #88 on: Oct 29, 2007, 05:55 »
When the frustration is gone...you make much sense. You are exactally right on these points. I still think that we need to get fed. rate diem but it really is about the hourly wage. "Hey, great news, we got the perdiem up $10/day this outage!" Big freakin' deal! We are owed the Federal rate so why should I be happy for anything less? And why does perdiem continue to be a point of negotiation? Perdiem is not pay!!! Lets talk about the fact that we rental techs get paid like un-skilled labor workers.
Troy ain't wrong very often.
As to why rental tech get paid like unskilled laborers, I see it as a two pronged problem. The most obvious reason is, of course, rental techs will work for unskilled rates. The bean counters who run all the plants these days ain't interested in quality, just numbers.
The second part of it is that if the "real techs," the ones who've got the knowledge and experience won't work for low wages, the plants will just bring in a bunch of marginal or sub-marginal techs, do what they have to so the resumes reflect whatever time the plant's tech specs require them to have and pay them like the unskilled laborers they are.
The reasons for the problem are pretty clear, it's the answers that are hazy.

alphadude

« Reply #89 on: Oct 29, 2007, 08:50 »
perdiam is not suppose to be take home pay

if you want more perdiam-spend more you are allowed to take the CONUS no matter what you are being given in perdiam.. just do some simple documentation.  As for being owed the rate.. i assume that somebody forced you to take the rate given?  If you are alluding to the a certain company has taken their profit from the perdiam difference.. well thats true. when i dealt with them we paid the full rate, they had a lower hourly bid to get the contract, and they paid lower perdiam to make up for their lower bid difference taking it as profit. Why do u think the previous owner got almost 110million when he was bought out?

As for wanting pay-remember the ANSI standard calls for 2 years experience and 3 years experience that is what the pay grade is based on.. there are no other increments to hang your hat on!!  So why should utilities pay more for something they can get for cheaper money??  (they only need 3 yrs experience and they have met the standard) 

As for "substandard techs" what is your standard? Do you mean below the ANSI standard or some standard that only exists in somebodies mind??

Its convoluted and the only thing(s) that makes sense is:

1. Settle for the pay grade because what else can you do to get those wages?

2. Go to school and advance yourself and move on.

3. Stop stirin the pot when there is nothing in the pot.

4. Continue to make yourself miserable and die young!

These issues are so old they are dressed in double knit with a white belt.

Play the hand that was delt, or fold.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #90 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:37 »

if you want more perdiam-spend more you are allowed to take the CONUS no matter what you are being given in perdiam.. just do some simple documentation.  As for being owed the rate.. i assume that somebody forced you to take the rate given?  If you are alluding to the a certain company has taken their profit from the perdiam difference.. well thats true. when i dealt with them we paid the full rate, they had a lower hourly bid to get the contract, and they paid lower perdiam to make up for their lower bid difference taking it as profit. Why do u think the previous owner got almost 110million when he was bought out?

As for wanting pay-remember the ANSI standard calls for 2 years experience and 3 years experience that is what the pay grade is based on.. there are no other increments to hang your hat on!!  So why should utilities pay more for something they can get for cheaper money??  (they only need 3 yrs experience and they have met the standard) 

As for "substandard techs" what is your standard? Do you mean below the ANSI standard or some standard that only exists in somebodies mind??

Good post.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #91 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:39 »
"3. Stop stirin the pot when there is nothing in the pot."

Good point.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #92 on: Oct 29, 2007, 03:00 »

I agree with some of this but...

It sounds like we should just accept what we are given and thats that? I don't think that is the stance we should take at all. Yes, this issue is at least as old as I have been doing this type of work but the age of the issue does not make it a non-issue. The biggest reason that we accept this pay is because there are too many that are too hungry. Most could not sit out on the plants that deserve it to help drive the pay up.

Nothing in the pot? Seems like there was a little in the pot when comparing the late 90's and early 00's. Pay went up a few bucks on average and the perdiem rate went from an average of $50 - $60/day (where it was stalled for nearly a decade) to almost double that amount.

As far as a "sub-standard tech"...Ya, I don't know what that definition is either. I don't care what field you are in and what qualifications you need to be there, you will always find a profound difference between the "best of" and the "worst of".

What else can I do for 20 something an hour?

Clean carpets
Work on a production line
Drive a delivery truck
Clean offices
Drive a fork lift in a warehouse

or...I can join the labor union and tote tools.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007, 04:31 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #93 on: Oct 29, 2007, 05:38 »
the only answer for me in the long run is #2 there alpha.  this is a world of supply and demand.  always will be.  we can all talk about what things OUGHT to be like, and a little of that is good. but reality is the obvious: we will continue to be paid what we will accept.  if a banana is worth 49 cents, that is what will be paid for it.  if these companies can get us at 23 bucks an hour, that is what is going to happen.  scarce resources will drive the price up, and the only good answer for me to make myself scarce is to diversify my qualifications; ie, do something else. if I don't like 23$ an hour I have to become an orange, which I am working on. when enough people decide to do something else, then the price will go up, or an alternative product will be purchased, which is being tried at some plants with varying success.

I like what I am being paid right now to continue to do this job.  But it isn't high enough for me to stop pursuing higher paying alternatives.

alphadude

« Reply #94 on: Oct 29, 2007, 06:03 »
AMEN

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #95 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:24 »
sew, iffen yer wanting to improve a rent-a-tech (copyrighted term there, very poor form) company whinell wood ya be advocating use of minimum quals, i.e. 2 or 3 years experience?  minimum qualed shood git minimum pay, but iffen ya gots 15 years experience of dune outage work, operational plant werk, 'n kin pass yer tests wit out cramming fer three daze, pleez tell me why ya shoodant git payed moor?
 becaws ya shood study 'n git a better job?  eye wood say 15 years is alot of studying.  git a better job?  sum peeps dew knot like desk sitting, either at da chair or under da desk.  butt it seams as tho desk jockeys all got da same educashunal backround, 'n it's about 8.5x11" 'n got a frame round it.  iffen ya gots two, ya git da chair.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007, 09:32 by SloGlo »

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #96 on: Oct 30, 2007, 09:15 »
Illegalsmile makes a good sound point!! ;DYou got love when people think and make a valid point. Let's face it people, we are a evil that is mandated by the NRC. If it were up to the plants we would all be out of a job. Tech companies have seen this coming and have been slow to respond to the supply and demand thing. ;D
 Why doesn't Big Blue and other companies take more of an interest in training their employees giving more direction for career advancement. Would this not benefit the company as well as the individuals who make up the product of manpower. ::) Most companies don't even know what other skills their employees posses. I think anyone that is in the business greater than 5 years is worth investing time in. Well time to wake up and get this plant on line.

ps. Troy, nothing personnal you're a fun target, we all need to remember where we came from to appreciate what we have now :P   
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 09:19 by rocknrollrick »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #97 on: Oct 30, 2007, 04:11 »
Maybe you should use the search button to see if I had already been reprimanded for making such a cardinal sin as asking a question. Lighten up Francis!

LaFeet

« Reply #98 on: Oct 30, 2007, 07:20 »
I guess I could be labeled as part of the problem.  I am willing to accept a lower wage than I believe I deserve.... why ??? 2 reasons, 1 - I have a family to support and this job offers a better time off vs work time balance, 2 - I am searching for a home....

'nuff said, I have grown tired of being on the road, especially after my navy years.  I long for a steady house job in a location that I and my family likes.

As for the "subpar" techs ????? I don't know how best to respond.  I know I always try to give my best and work my share... is it wrong to ask that other do the same (thats another 89% for you to pony up Jimbo   :P)

Offline spikeree

• Light User
« Reply #99 on: Nov 06, 2007, 06:43 »
I am in for the IEBW union where do i sign! does anyone have info for me? they can e-mail me at comoronald1@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 04:59 by Rennhack »

Content1

« Reply #100 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:03 »
I don't think this is possible anymore, but haved outages try to keep the tech busy during the actual outage without long 2 week gaps in so called "Back to Back" outages.   The other ideas, car rental, 401k's, raises of $5 per hour, etc. in that this is a business, Bartlett if it gave such expensive packages would not get the contact to someone who would do it cheaper.   What the techs can do is be trained in another career and like the national guard idea, you leave the regular job to go to the short outages that are paid well but known to be short like 2 weeks.  That is what the plants truly want to do to be profitable.  Otherwise all the other ideas are available now at a DOE site or house tech position, holidays, 401k, vacation, sick days etc.   The worker must conform to the job that is offered or do something else.   We can whine, complain, say it is not fair etc. but that is our capitalist system and you either learn to be flexible or leave.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #101 on: Sep 20, 2009, 05:27 »
 The worker must conform to the job that is offered or do something else.   We can whine, complain, say it is not fair etc. but that is our capitalist system and you either learn to be flexible or leave.

Bravo.  YOU get it.

Refreshing to see a guy unwilling to condemn the employers for just doing what makes good business sense.

Offline jrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #102 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:00 »
What i don't understand about this forum.......is why there are so many "House People" who sit on this website
daily making posts about contract workers (who are only trying to look out for themselves) with concerns that
pertain to the individual working on the road? It seems to me that these "happy, hardworking, house people",
must have a lot of free time to concern themselves with such matters.

Content1

« Reply #103 on: Sep 21, 2009, 09:54 »
We still have other family members still traveling and they let us know what is going on.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #104 on: Sep 21, 2009, 10:40 »
What i don't understand about this forum.......is why there are so many "House People" who sit on this website
daily making posts about contract workers (who are only trying to look out for themselves) with concerns that
pertain to the individual working on the road? It seems to me that these "happy, hardworking, house people",

How can you tell who is house, on the road, or who has not actually swanged a meter in years? 

If you could tell, would it matter?  Respect all opinions, right?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #105 on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:34 »

I see what you are getting at, and I have wondered the same on several different threads that share a common theme about the travelers.

It's not that the house folks don't have points to make, it's more that the points can be a bit irrelivant coming from people that have not been on the road in a while. And I don't understand why some can display such a strong opinion when they haven't been there in so long.

I often talked about a particular southern CA plant up till recently. I suspect that my opinion of the place continues to be shared by many, but the fact is, it is coming up on the 3rd outage that I have not been there. So for that reason, I feel like I have reached the end of my opinions being relevant enough to comment on a thread about it. Seems fair to me.

So while I don't have any hard spots with people just because they are a house tech (that would be a bit silly and I'm not implying that you feel this way at all), I do see merit in your question.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #106 on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:59 »
A very honorable position Brett.  But, while you have been absent for the past few outages and therefore feel your opinion does not merit sharing, the NRC has been there all along and continues to express concern about the performance at a particular southern CA plant.

Funny! I just posted this and then went to the thread where someone posted the latest NRC review of that plant...my tounge is still bleeding ;D  I'm sure that Meterswangin would be all over me, so I will just read from the sidelines. I hope they get it together down there. I have talked a lot of S***, but I don't get any enjoyment out of reports like that. It's unhealthy for the industry as a whole.

Ok, sorry for being off topic...As you were.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #107 on: Sep 22, 2009, 11:26 »
Funny! I just posted this and then went to the thread where someone posted the latest NRC review of that plant...my tounge is still bleeding ;D  I'm sure that Meterswangin would be all over me, so I will just read from the sidelines. I hope they get it together down there. I have talked a lot of S***, but I don't get any enjoyment out of reports like that. It's unhealthy for the industry as a whole.

Karma and kudos to you for lightening up on the plant-bashing. 

NRC grades are the most lagging of lag indicators.  A diesel hiccups, a valve slows...you report it.  NRC mounts an inspection, writes it up, you respond, there are meetings.  Months later you get gigged.  A year later they roll up all the little gigs and call it "crosscutting" and hit you harder.  A year later all the new management are busy fixing and changing everything, but the issues are are not "closed out" with the NRC until the laborious process runs a new cycle.

Plant can be 2-3 years up off the bottom and still be on the sh_t list

SONGS, by the way, is in NRC column 2.  Palo Verde hit column 4.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #108 on: Sep 23, 2009, 10:09 »
Karma and kudos to you for lightening up on the plant-bashing. 

NRC grades are the most lagging of lag indicators.  A diesel hiccups, a valve slows...you report it.  NRC mounts an inspection, writes it up, you respond, there are meetings.  Months later you get gigged.  A year later they roll up all the little gigs and call it "crosscutting" and hit you harder.  A year later all the new management are busy fixing and changing everything, but the issues are are not "closed out" with the NRC until the laborious process runs a new cycle.

Plant can be 2-3 years up off the bottom and still be on the sh_t list

SONGS, by the way, is in NRC column 2.  Palo Verde hit column 4.

I worked Palo last fall. It was a tough outage to go to every day with a smile, that's for sure. They also have many changes to make.

Don't know about the most lagging of lag indicators, I guess that is one opinion. Anyway, the report looked pretty rough. Believe me when I say that I understand how positive change can take a long time. I was the designated process improvement Change Agent at a former job in a troubled production facility. It is a labor intensive, time consuming process. I wish SONGS well with it. It appears that there is still a tough road to travel before getting there.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

IPREGEN

« Reply #109 on: Sep 25, 2009, 11:58 »
House people can offer the perspective of what it like to hire 50 have 5 no-shows, hear all the stories about why they are late and don't feel good. The processing of people through security and all the reasons why they don't have paperwork done, coupled with P**s Poor performance from the occasional tech and high end drama that brings down the group so you are no longer a first round pick and the recruiter is trying to be pleasant about it.

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #110 on: Sep 25, 2009, 12:33 »
House people can offer the perspective of what it like to hire 50 have 5 no-shows, hear all the stories about why they are late and don't feel good. The processing of people through security and all the reasons why they don't have paperwork done, coupled with P**s Poor performance from the occasional tech and high end drama that brings down the group so you are no longer a first round pick and the recruiter is trying to be pleasant about it.

And road techs don't see the same thing with house techs? There are always going to be top runners and bottom feeders. Some have union protection and the others... If your utility brings them back then maybe they aren't doing enough to attract the top runners.

Content1

« Reply #111 on: Sep 25, 2009, 03:00 »
I have something on subject here about improvements for rent-a-techs.   My jr. daughter, only 4 years in the business, went to Kewanee and is getting $20/hr!  I got that in the duke system my last outage as a Senior 2008!  They get $3/5 per  hr. bonus on top.   She, during the outage, will make more than double what I make as a house tech!  I am no longer the top wage earner in the family, yet I have been in the business 20 years total.   I say good for her and the other Juniors there, this business is not dead yet.

IPREGEN

« Reply #112 on: Sep 25, 2009, 03:02 »
And road techs don't see the same thing with house techs? There are always going to be top runners and bottom feeders. Some have union protection and the others... If your utility brings them back then maybe they aren't doing enough to attract the top runners.

The post was why house tech input belongs on the site. not about who stinks at the job. I've been on both sides, there are winners and losers on both sides

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #113 on: Sep 25, 2009, 10:00 »
I have something on subject here about improvements for rent-a-techs.   My jr. daughter, only 4 years in the business, went to Kewanee and is getting $20/hr!  I got that in the duke system my last outage as a Senior 2008!  They get $3/5 per  hr. bonus on top.   She, during the outage, will make more than double what I make as a house tech!  I am no longer the top wage earner in the family, yet I have been in the business 20 years total.   I say good for her and the other Juniors there, this business is not dead yet.

Good for her, friend.  But this is a temporary situation.  In three years there will be a fraction of the positions available.

hezabear

« Reply #114 on: Sep 30, 2009, 05:18 »
All of the companies need to put the money were there mouths are. The big B always states that their employees are the best in the Nuclear Field. Then why don't they treat us that way.
Better health insurance
Short and long temp disability, This could be done thru Aflac
Better 401k
Sick Days
Vacation
The list goes on and on.
And then their is the pay A 5 year 3.1 Sr,. gets paid the same as 25 year 3.1
So Like I said if you say were the best then treat us like we are.
I am sure to catch Sxxt over this but this how I see things. Brad

Offline deicide666

• Light User
  • whats grosser than gross?
« Reply #115 on: Oct 01, 2009, 09:34 »
Jacking diem on a day turn around from one plant to another. If you are working for a company and just left a site and are going to strait to another, with one day in the middle (travel time) for the same dam company!! You are still away from home for them!!!!
death to all who apose us!!!!

hezabear

« Reply #116 on: Oct 01, 2009, 10:12 »
You must work for the Big "B". They do this all the time. Was told by one of their site supervisor make them about 2 million a year. See my earlyer post it is all about them not the workers in the field.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #117 on: Oct 02, 2009, 12:43 »
Was told by one of their site supervisor make them about 2 million a year.

If you believe that, you have absolutely no clue.

hezabear

« Reply #118 on: Oct 02, 2009, 01:04 »
M. was told this by more than one of the so called site supervisors, You do the math.
$85.oo a day times 2000 techs times times 10 =1.700,000.00 close to 2 million. Don't know if its true are not. But I do know they always cut you 1 day short when you come in and I don't care if you have 40 hours or more when you get laid off say on Thursday the keep the rest of the week. I've been laid off by the Big B on Saturday Morning going to other site on Monday and they will and do pull Saturday and Sundays Perdiem. Thats their way of doing business .So  maybe you need to get a clue.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2009, 01:13 by Heza Bear »

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #119 on: Oct 02, 2009, 05:11 »
I feel with being temps.we as tech must realize that the perfect world and wanting things such as better 401K,paid Insur. and others gripes I've read through this post will never happen.Hell even Micky-D's can't even do that.It is what it is and if we can't live that then maybe we need to find that dream company who will give more then they receave.I just think that road tech. working 40 Hrs away from shouldn't be punished for being sick, such as I was working 40hrs some back in spring and if I lost time for being sick I had to make up or lose 3 days PD. maybe this could be revamped a little. Also I would like to see the travel per mile be adjusted to the rising gas prices. We all have wants and gripes,but such is life.Suck it up deal with it and go on
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #120 on: Oct 02, 2009, 05:21 »
The few times that I have been able to sit down and read a Utility - RAT contract, the perdiem was a straight pass thru. B doesn't get it from the utility unless you are working. The Utility determines if you worked enough (40 hours minimum usually) to get it paid to B. They stop paying it as soon as you leave. Most utilities pay if you complete 8 hours on your last day.

Oh, and as far as the other way techs are cheated - where B makes a bunch of money on interest by holding your pay for a week - most utilities are 60-120 days in arrears - they get billed, and the utility contract / procurement group pays that bill when they pay a bunch of others - after the outage is over. So the RAT co is actually fronting the pay, and getting reimbursed by the utility later. That's why bonuses are paid a month or two later - that's when the utility pays the RAT, and officially lets them know who / how much.

The above hassles were part of why being on the road got old.... :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #121 on: Oct 02, 2009, 10:01 »
HouseDad is 100% correct.

Heza Bear, there is no $2m, the contract companies can't/don't bill utilities for money they don't pay.  What money-saving utility that you know of would pay a company per diem that isn't being paid to the workers?  Why not bill the utilities for 200 hrs of work when the person only works 40 or 72?  If you only pay 5 days per diem, you can only bill 5 days per diem.

You supervisor Buddie has never seen a contract, and has no idea how this industry works.  He isn't telling you some official Bartlett secret, he is telling you his conspiracy theory.  It may be his own, or it may have been shared with him, just as you are sharing it.  You can tell it to the 30,000 people on this site, and they can all tell it to 30,000 more people.  It still doesn't make it reality.

Chimera

« Reply #122 on: Oct 02, 2009, 10:11 »
Travel pay is another site specific issue.  Some utilities pay travel pay both ways regardless of the time between the two outages.  Others only pay travel if you go home and/or had sufficient time (in their judgement) to go home.  I've had it happen where I received travel pay to home from one site and travel pay to the site from the next site even though there was only one day between.  However, on the identical return trip, I only received travel pay from one site.

As for the companies making money on the interest by delaying pay checks, NUMANCO's first contract (back in the Charlie Pierce days) was with Millstone.  After being awarded the contract, Charlie discovered that Northeast Utilities only paid once a quarter.  Charlie had to rush to the bank each week to refinance his fledgling company to meet his weekly payroll.  Only through time, perserverence and economy of scale do these rent-a-tech outfits turn a profit.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #123 on: Oct 02, 2009, 11:51 »
The few times that I have been able to sit down and read a Utility - RAT contract, the perdiem was a straight pass thru. B doesn't get it from the utility unless you are working. The Utility determines if you worked enough (40 hours minimum usually) to get it paid to B. They stop paying it as soon as you leave. Most utilities pay if you complete 8 hours on your last day.

Oh, and as far as the other way techs are cheated - where B makes a bunch of money on interest by holding your pay for a week - most utilities are 60-120 days in arrears - they get billed, and the utility contract / procurement group pays that bill when they pay a bunch of others - after the outage is over. So the RAT co is actually fronting the pay, and getting reimbursed by the utility later. That's why bonuses are paid a month or two later - that's when the utility pays the RAT, and officially lets them know who / how much.

The above hassles were part of why being on the road got old.... :D

I agree with a lot of this but I have an example, maybe it's the exception, but it happens. Working at a plant twice in the last couple of years we had a completion bonus. A nice one at that. The outage was over for nearly 8 weeks before I got that check. In fact, I was one of the last to leave as most others had earlier outages to catch. This check was delayed for nearly 10 or 12 weeks for some, both times I remember. I spoke with the plant management folks that actually see the billing and know what was paid and I was told that it is BS, the bill had already been paid and my contract company was obviously holding the money (in this case it was in the neighborhood of a couple hundred thousand dollars total for the group).

I am grateful that there are jobs that give a bonus and the wating for it is a minor inconvenience for me, but fair is fair and when you add up all of the things that could be improved...well, it's not hard to see why people feel a bit abused.

I can see why some think we get paid enough, or that a few shortcommings of a contract company aren't that big of a deal. I think that there is another important ingredient to this. And that is the incredible inconvenience this work can be. Being away from home and family for months at a time. I personally only see my wife and 4 year old daughter an average of 7 months/year. I am currently in Northern California and have not had any time off in 10 months, this is a good thing that I am working at a great job and I am grateful. However, it will have been a full year before I see my house again. By the way, that is a house that I still have to pay for and keep up while I am not there. I am not telling many of you anything, I am just making a point about what kind of extraordinary things you need to deal with and arrange in order to do this job. Is it really too much to ask for to get them to pay on time or pay fairly when it comes to things like travel, perdiem, a damn sick day here and there, affordable insurance or some combination of a few of those things. We are not in a "normal" industry and having a little better package than the day labor that Addecco supplies to production facilities with doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

I am currently a temporary additional for PG&E. I have worked Diablo a few times and now am at Humboldt Bay. I have seen what it is like for a company to go out of their way to recruit and keep the troops happy with a nice package. I wouldn't expect the same package from a contract company, that would be unrealistic. But even if they were to achieve 75% of what I have here, you would find nearly all of this complaining gone.

And that...is my opinion ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #124 on: Oct 02, 2009, 12:38 »
M. was told this by more than one of the so called site supervisors, You do the math.
$85.oo a day times 2000 techs times times 10 =1.700,000.00 close to 2 million. Don't know if its true are not. But I do know they always cut you 1 day short when you come in and I don't care if you have 40 hours or more when you get laid off say on Thursday the keep the rest of the week. I've been laid off by the Big B on Saturday Morning going to other site on Monday and they will and do pull Saturday and Sundays Perdiem. Thats their way of doing business .So  maybe you need to get a clue.

After I got done laughing so hard I fell off my chair, I re-read your post and guess what - I laughed twice as hard!  I thought I had heard every hair-brained, crack-pot conspiracy theory there was - everything from "Bruce controls when and how long the plants shutdown for" to "Big Blue makes 300% profit off of us" - I admit those were good but your 2 million in billing for unpaid perdiem is one of the best I've heard.  Now believe me or don't - no sweat either way - we pay what we can bill for, pure and simple - payroll of course has a mark-up (as does any other vendors pay-roll) - perdiem and expenses are what they call a direct pass thru - we pay what we bill - no profit.  If you really think we'd jeopardize our contracts and our reputation by billing for unpaid perdiem and that we dont get scutinized by our clients on what we bill then you are seriously mistaken.

anyways thats all I will say on that, if you have any other good side splitters please don't hold back!

Take it slow, be safe...

Eric Bartlett

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2009, 12:38 by Eric_Bartlett »

duke99301

« Reply #125 on: Oct 02, 2009, 12:53 »
Why do the back ups pay like the one saying 35 an hour plus diem . no to me for an ho tech that is a lot but heck if they are going to pay it I say go for it. I turned down shaw to go be safety for them for 35 an hour no ot .. heck I ready to do the HP thing if the money gets there .
when do the rent a cars come back?

hezabear

« Reply #126 on: Oct 02, 2009, 06:43 »
After I got done laughing so hard I fell off my chair, I re-read your post and guess what - I laughed twice as hard!  I thought I had heard every hair-brained, crack-pot conspiracy theory there was - everything from "Bruce controls when and how long the plants shutdown for" to "Big Blue makes 300% profit off of us" - I admit those were good but your 2 million in billing for unpaid perdiem is one of the best I've heard.  Now believe me or don't - no sweat either way - we pay what we can bill for, pure and simple - payroll of course has a mark-up (as does any other vendors pay-roll) - perdiem and expenses are what they call a direct pass thru - we pay what we bill - no profit.  If you really think we'd jeopardize our contracts and our reputation by billing for unpaid perdiem and that we dont get scutinized by our clients on what we bill then you are seriously mistaken.

anyways thats all I will say on that, if you have any other good side splitters please don't hold back!

Take it slow, be safe...

Eric Bartlett

Eric you may be right. But when one of your Site-Supervisors tells a room full of people the above story. What are we to belive. I know that Bartlett has been good to me,but they could do better. ff they wanted to. Long term and short term disabliy could be offered at not cost to Bartlett. But no it's not. And as far as Bartlett not keeping ant perdiem the why are we told that it is paid out of the firsy 40 hours in a week? We could go over andover this. But with out looking at the books we will never know.
Glad I could make you Laugh ;D ;D. Its good to laugh.  Always Brad

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2009, 06:48 by Heza Bear »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #127 on: Oct 03, 2009, 09:47 »
Twenty years ago, per diem was built into the hourly billing rate for the first 40 hours.  A contract might have been paying $13 and hour and $50/day.  The billing rate would be something like $26 (including $8.75 for per diem) and the overtime billing rate would actually be LOWER than the straight time rate because per diem and all administrative costs, including benefits, were built into the first 40 hours.  That all changed a LOOOONG time ago.  Since the early 90's just about every contract was bid with per diem and travel as direct pass through without markup.

Sure, under the old system, you could work 40 hours in a week (say 12 hours a day M-W and 4 hours to WBC on Thursday) and only get maybe 3 or 4 days of diem - leaving $150 to $200 for the company to keep.  On the other side of that coin, you could be working 8 hour days and get laid-off Monday morning.  That would leave the company on the hook for a whole day's per diem without collecting enough straight time that day to cover it.  They still have pretty much the same admin and benefits costs whether you worked an hour that week or 84.

Basically, it comes down to this - you get paid what you agreed to work for.  The running of the company's finances is really nobody's business but their own.  If you could have all the money that Bartlett billed for your time, and you would also have to spend all the money that Bartlett pays out for things like taxes, workers' comp, state and federal unemployment insurance, benefits, admin costs, interest on their lines of credit, PPE, legal fees, payroll taxes, ... etc. you would not be any better off than you are now. 

A Site Supervisor (or Site Coordinator) knows exactly as much about the running of the office as any Junior Tech on his or her site.  So, don't give too much weight to some sea story just because the clerk (which is what a SC really is) is telling it.

Cathy

« Reply #128 on: Oct 04, 2009, 08:21 »
A Site Supervisor (or Site Coordinator) knows exactly as much about the running of the office as any Junior Tech on his or her site.  So, don't give too much weight to some sea story just because the clerk (which is what a SC really is) is telling it.

Sorry Troy. I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #129 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:13 »
BC I too have to strongly disagree with your statement on SC being nothing more than a clerk I have seen it to be a tough position!!  8)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #130 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:16 »
Well, you're right.  Most SC's are undervalued by their employers (and way underpaid for what they do).  They are more like Mommy and Daddy to the techs than clerks -- but I really think that is all on their own initiative.  The good ones are good because they are decent people, not because they have been well trained by the companies who employ them, and CERTAINLY not because they are familiar with the office operations.  Everybody on that list above was a great SC because they were experienced field technicians and because they were leaders and mentors to their people.
The comment about them being clerks was unfair.  What I meant was that the company makes them primarily responsible for administrative functions in the field.  I have never sensed that any of them whom I knew really felt like part of the management of their company.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2009, 09:27 by BeerCourt »

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #131 on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:25 »
Hey BtKeele, I always knew you were my daddy. (since you being my site cordinator)  Now I know why I like sheep so much.

Content1

« Reply #132 on: Oct 05, 2009, 02:55 »
Turkey Pt., $35/hr.?  It seems they high salary is to those who wait.   

fabshop64

« Reply #133 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:04 »
I would like to comment on the free stuff. I give it out all the time. I did the last 2 outages at Calvert Cliffs and gave away Bartlett stuff every chance I got. I even sent Constellation stuff, bags, cups and pullovers to the recuriters in the home office.
I'm down at SRS now and have more stuff to give away. That's the easy way to break the ice with the techs, that and making sure the checks are ontime

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #134 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:28 »
The Bartlett stuff was moved to the Bartlett thread here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13077.msg116592.html#msg116592

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #135 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:07 »
Hey BtKeele, I always knew you were my daddy. (since you being my site cordinator)  Now I know why I like sheep so much.

OK, I'm confused.....but I'll play along...How's your Maaaaamaaaaa?

Cathy

« Reply #136 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:18 »
OK, I'm confused.....but I'll play along...How's your Maaaaamaaaaa?
Lose track of ewe girlfriends?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #137 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:23 »
lambskin?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?