Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rent-a-tech company improvements? honeypot

Poll

Would a Co-Op company of Nukeworker.com radtechs succeed, with input listed in this thread?

Yes
31 (46.3%)
No
36 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Rent-a-tech company improvements?  (Read 106278 times)

duke99301

Re: Rent-a-tech company improvements?
« Reply #125 on: Oct 02, 2009, 12:53 »
Why do the back ups pay like the one saying 35 an hour plus diem . no to me for an ho tech that is a lot but heck if they are going to pay it I say go for it. I turned down shaw to go be safety for them for 35 an hour no ot .. heck I ready to do the HP thing if the money gets there .
when do the rent a cars come back?

hezabear

« Reply #126 on: Oct 02, 2009, 06:43 »
After I got done laughing so hard I fell off my chair, I re-read your post and guess what - I laughed twice as hard!  I thought I had heard every hair-brained, crack-pot conspiracy theory there was - everything from "Bruce controls when and how long the plants shutdown for" to "Big Blue makes 300% profit off of us" - I admit those were good but your 2 million in billing for unpaid perdiem is one of the best I've heard.  Now believe me or don't - no sweat either way - we pay what we can bill for, pure and simple - payroll of course has a mark-up (as does any other vendors pay-roll) - perdiem and expenses are what they call a direct pass thru - we pay what we bill - no profit.  If you really think we'd jeopardize our contracts and our reputation by billing for unpaid perdiem and that we dont get scutinized by our clients on what we bill then you are seriously mistaken.

anyways thats all I will say on that, if you have any other good side splitters please don't hold back!

Take it slow, be safe...

Eric Bartlett

Eric you may be right. But when one of your Site-Supervisors tells a room full of people the above story. What are we to belive. I know that Bartlett has been good to me,but they could do better. ff they wanted to. Long term and short term disabliy could be offered at not cost to Bartlett. But no it's not. And as far as Bartlett not keeping ant perdiem the why are we told that it is paid out of the firsy 40 hours in a week? We could go over andover this. But with out looking at the books we will never know.
Glad I could make you Laugh ;D ;D. Its good to laugh.  Always Brad

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2009, 06:48 by Heza Bear »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #127 on: Oct 03, 2009, 09:47 »
Twenty years ago, per diem was built into the hourly billing rate for the first 40 hours.  A contract might have been paying $13 and hour and $50/day.  The billing rate would be something like $26 (including $8.75 for per diem) and the overtime billing rate would actually be LOWER than the straight time rate because per diem and all administrative costs, including benefits, were built into the first 40 hours.  That all changed a LOOOONG time ago.  Since the early 90's just about every contract was bid with per diem and travel as direct pass through without markup.

Sure, under the old system, you could work 40 hours in a week (say 12 hours a day M-W and 4 hours to WBC on Thursday) and only get maybe 3 or 4 days of diem - leaving $150 to $200 for the company to keep.  On the other side of that coin, you could be working 8 hour days and get laid-off Monday morning.  That would leave the company on the hook for a whole day's per diem without collecting enough straight time that day to cover it.  They still have pretty much the same admin and benefits costs whether you worked an hour that week or 84.

Basically, it comes down to this - you get paid what you agreed to work for.  The running of the company's finances is really nobody's business but their own.  If you could have all the money that Bartlett billed for your time, and you would also have to spend all the money that Bartlett pays out for things like taxes, workers' comp, state and federal unemployment insurance, benefits, admin costs, interest on their lines of credit, PPE, legal fees, payroll taxes, ... etc. you would not be any better off than you are now. 

A Site Supervisor (or Site Coordinator) knows exactly as much about the running of the office as any Junior Tech on his or her site.  So, don't give too much weight to some sea story just because the clerk (which is what a SC really is) is telling it.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Cathy

« Reply #128 on: Oct 04, 2009, 08:21 »
A Site Supervisor (or Site Coordinator) knows exactly as much about the running of the office as any Junior Tech on his or her site.  So, don't give too much weight to some sea story just because the clerk (which is what a SC really is) is telling it.

Sorry Troy. I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #129 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:13 »
BC I too have to strongly disagree with your statement on SC being nothing more than a clerk I have seen it to be a tough position!!  8)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #130 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:16 »
Well, you're right.  Most SC's are undervalued by their employers (and way underpaid for what they do).  They are more like Mommy and Daddy to the techs than clerks -- but I really think that is all on their own initiative.  The good ones are good because they are decent people, not because they have been well trained by the companies who employ them, and CERTAINLY not because they are familiar with the office operations.  Everybody on that list above was a great SC because they were experienced field technicians and because they were leaders and mentors to their people.
The comment about them being clerks was unfair.  What I meant was that the company makes them primarily responsible for administrative functions in the field.  I have never sensed that any of them whom I knew really felt like part of the management of their company.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2009, 09:27 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #131 on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:25 »
Hey BtKeele, I always knew you were my daddy. (since you being my site cordinator)  Now I know why I like sheep so much.

Content1

« Reply #132 on: Oct 05, 2009, 02:55 »
Turkey Pt., $35/hr.?  It seems they high salary is to those who wait.   

fabshop64

« Reply #133 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:04 »
I would like to comment on the free stuff. I give it out all the time. I did the last 2 outages at Calvert Cliffs and gave away Bartlett stuff every chance I got. I even sent Constellation stuff, bags, cups and pullovers to the recuriters in the home office.
I'm down at SRS now and have more stuff to give away. That's the easy way to break the ice with the techs, that and making sure the checks are ontime

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #134 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:28 »
The Bartlett stuff was moved to the Bartlett thread here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13077.msg116592.html#msg116592

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #135 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:07 »
Hey BtKeele, I always knew you were my daddy. (since you being my site cordinator)  Now I know why I like sheep so much.

OK, I'm confused.....but I'll play along...How's your Maaaaamaaaaa?

Cathy

« Reply #136 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:18 »
OK, I'm confused.....but I'll play along...How's your Maaaaamaaaaa?
Lose track of ewe girlfriends?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #137 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:23 »
lambskin?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?