Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bellefonte

Author Topic: Bellefonte  (Read 109799 times)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Bellefonte
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:30 »
Why? The dose rates at our plant and the annual dose is 3 times higher than at Fermi, a BWR-4. Also there's no comparison in Outage Dose. Fermi was a LOT lower.

Mike

Dose rates to who? Control Room operators? That only changes if you compare Chernobyl!  :o
I have spent quite a few hours wriggling through the drywell @ beautiful Browns Ferry, and providing coverage for RWCU HX hydrolancing and other wonderful jobs where I picked up more dose in an average PWR year.

While I wouldn't have been leading protests outside the fence over building the ESBWR (Extra-Special BWR?) at Bellefonte, I am happy that NuSTART chose the AP1000 for the Bellefonte site. Regardless, M1Ark did provide reassurance at the prospect of having a BWR for a neighbor.

Speaking of M1Ark: there is a limit on the size of the inbox for PMs (unless you become a Goldmember). I can't reply...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:11 »
Uh I was a NLO at a BWR-4 and I've compared items like Outage dose for both types of reactors I've worked at. The average NLO at our plant gets more dose per year than at Fermi. I can name at least 5 or 6 times at Fermi where they were in the top quartile for all Reactors in the US for Dose AND many times when they would have been in the top 10% of PWRs. Additionally Fermi NEVER had the outage dose I've seen in 3 outages at SQN.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:13 »
Mike,

One of these threads I will find out why you don't know what you are looking at. Based on your experience, it is confusing to me that we disagree with data available to both of us. Regardless, I must withdraw to a neutral corner due to being WAY off-topic.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

ageoldtech

« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:56 »
What’s the difference between a BWR fence post and a PWR fence post?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2007, 01:21 »
What’s the difference between a BWR fence post and a PWR fence post?
The voids are part of the inherent design in a MWR post, but are avoided in all but the most challenging accident scenarios in a PWR fence post.  8)

ageoldtech

« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:22 »
Thanks for the helpful insight, I knew there was a answer!

M1Ark

« Reply #56 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:37 »
I think Roll Tide and Broadzilla are both correct.  Fermi was the exception as a BWR in that there were a lot of plant modifications performed in the late 80's and early 90's at Fermi to minimize dose.

1. Cobalt 60 and stelite bearing minimization effort
2. Zinc injection for establishing corrosion boundary layer
3. The Turbine Building and the Reactor Building are very different than the "turn-key" GE plants I've been to.  More shielding provided by the Fermi structures as compared to Nine Mile Point, Brunswick and Susquehannah.

Roll Tide is quoting BWR's from his experience and Broadzilla is quoting a BWR were dose control was key during construction and early plant maturation.

Not an apples to apples comparison. 

I promise Roll Tide that if you ever licensed at a boiler your opinion would be very different.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2007, 09:26 by M1Ark »

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:23 »
I promise Roll Tide that if you ever licensed at a boiler your opinion would be very different.

I guess it could happen. But this dog's getting older. Not too much time left to learn new tricks.  :D

But we are still WAY off topic for Bellefonte. I would love to be able to see into the future 10 years for that site.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #58 on: Aug 27, 2007, 07:42 »
According to a local paper, the local college has been approached by the NRC for a meeting at their coliseum on the morning of September 11th. If that happens, all supporters of new reactors @ Bellefonte need to be there.

http://www.theweeklypost.com/story.lasso?ewcd=40f1c9a53b0ee066

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #59 on: Aug 27, 2007, 08:26 »
I hope that they decide to build there.  It's pretty country up there and it's my wife's home town,  I could be talked into living around there.
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Aug 28, 2007, 06:01 »
Looks like the previous report was accurate on the day and location, but the time is actually 7:00-9:00 PM (Central). See as many there as possible.

Home > Electronic Reading Room > Document Collections > News Releases > 2007 > 07-108

NRC NEWS
U.S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION
Office of Public Affairs Telephone: 301/415-8200
Washington, DC 20555-0001 E-mail: opa@nrc.gov
www.nrc.gov

No. 07-108 August 28, 2007 

NRC MEETING SEPTEMBER 11 IN RAINSVILLE, ALA., TO DISCUSS
REVIEW PROCESS FOR EXPECTED NEW REACTOR APPLICATION

Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff will conduct a public meeting in Rainsville, Ala., on Tuesday, Sept. 11, to discuss how the agency will review an expected Combined License (COL) application for new reactors at the Bellefonte site near Scottsboro. The prospective applicant, Tennessee Valley Authority, has told the NRC it intends to apply later this year for a license to build and operate two AP1000 reactors at Bellefonte.

“The NRC’s reviews of this application and the others we’re expecting before the end of this year could certainly affect nearby communities,” said William Borchardt, Director of the NRC’s Office of New Reactors. “This meeting will be one of several where the NRC will work with residents to help them understand and participate in this process, because we value the information they can provide.”

The meeting will be held in the Tom Bevill Lyceum at the Northeast Alabama Community College, 138 Alabama Highway 35 in Rainsville, from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. NRC staff presentations will describe the overall Combined License review process, which includes safety and environmental assessments, as well as how the public can participate in the process. The NRC will host an open house for an hour prior to the meeting so members of the public have the opportunity to talk informally with agency staff.

A COL, if issued, is authorization from the NRC to construct and, with conditions, operate a nuclear power plant at a specific site and in accordance with laws and regulations. More information on the NRC’s new reactor licensing process is available on the agency’s Web site here: http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-reactor-licensing.html.

The AP1000 is one of four NRC-certified reactor designs that can be referenced in a COL. It is a 1,000 MWe advanced pressurized water reactor that incorporates passive safety systems and simplified system designs. The AP1000 is similar to another certified design, the AP600, but uses a taller reactor vessel to accommodate longer fuel, and also includes larger steam generators and a larger pressurizer.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/news/2007/07-108.html

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #61 on: Sep 14, 2007, 02:48 »
The meeting went well. You could see the locals cringing every time some out of town anti-nuke wanted to explain why they should reconsider efficient electricity and excellent jobs for the future.

http://www.thedailysentinel.com/story.lasso?ewcd=a91e64209be28b05&page=all

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1189588692148130.xml&coll=1

I find it interesting that the local media didn't even notice there were any anti-nukes. It was just a couple of people spouting old numbers.

CASE (Coalition for Clean and Safe Energy) sent some representatives with handouts. These "good environmentalists" believe nuclear is the answer to global warming.

http://www.cleansafeenergy.org/

Also represented (but no handouts) was NA-YGN (North American Young Generation of Nuclear)
http://www.na-ygn.org/index/index.html

One final observation: if you don't know what to wear, fashion experts recommend knakis for men. When you look around, and everyone else is wearing either a suit or overalls, it is hard to say you feel like you fit in...
 ;D

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #62 on: Sep 18, 2007, 03:47 »
Chattanooga Times Free Press noted the very positive sentiments at the meeting as well:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/local.aspx?articleid=21452&zoneid=77

I wonder who they interviewed?
 8) 8) 8)

Offline Atomic Frog

• Sr HP Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Ribit!! Ribit!!
« Reply #63 on: Sep 20, 2007, 01:07 »

I wonder who they interviewed?
 8) 8) 8)

Thats funny and very cool.
 ;D
It is not MY fault that I never learned to accept responsibility.- Homer J. Simpson

I bet Einstein turned himself into all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb.- Homer J. Simpson

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Sep 27, 2007, 05:27 »
The board of Tennessee Valley Authority moved a step closer to seeking approval to license two new nuclear reactors in Alabama, the agency said on Thursday.

The board of the largest U.S. public power supplier approved submitting an application to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission seeking a license to build and operate two advanced nuclear units at TVA's Bellefonte site in Hollywood, Ala.

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSN2733770920070927

WOOT!!
 :D :D :D :D :D

ddklbl

« Reply #65 on: Sep 27, 2007, 08:27 »
There was a decent article in this months Nuclear News about it.  Some of the things they mentioned were a little dated, wrt Browns Ferry, but good press all the same.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #66 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:52 »
TVA, NuStart Submit Application to Nuclear Regulatory Commission

At a brief ceremony this morning, TVA and NuStart Energy representatives presented an application for a new nuclear-power plant to Nuclear Regulatory Commission officials at their headquarters in Rockville, Md., outside of Washington, D.C.

http://insidenet.tva.gov/org/cao/communications/tvatoday/2007/october07/30/update.htm

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #67 on: Oct 31, 2007, 12:01 »
Step 1, but I'll get really excited when we start moving dirt!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #68 on: Oct 31, 2007, 12:05 »
Step 1, but I'll get really excited when we start moving dirt!

Per the new NRC definition, moving dirt is NOT a construction activity. Dirt could be legally moved today! (It won't be, but it could be.)

I'll get really excited when we start pouring concrete!

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-95-0.html

EDIT: Added a link to the artist's concept of the eventual site
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 03:40 by Roll Tide »

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #69 on: Oct 31, 2007, 06:16 »
Ya know what I meant. :)

nuketarded

« Reply #70 on: Jul 05, 2008, 07:51 »
What's this I hear about Units 1 & 2 back on the radar screen?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #71 on: Jul 06, 2008, 06:53 »
What's this I hear about Units 1 & 2 back on the radar screen?

Demolition suspended is my current understanding.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #72 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:44 »
OK, 1&2 are back!

Alabama’s biggest unfinished construction project may be revived nearly a half century after it was begun.

The Tennessee Valley Authority, which already is pursuing licenses for two new reactors at its Bellefonte Nuclear Plant site in Hollywood, Ala., soon will begin a study of whether it also should finish the original two reactors it previously canceled at the same site.

TVA President Tom Kilgore said Wednesday the agency will spend $10 million to study whether to try to finish the original two Babcock & Wilcox-designed reactors at Bellefonte.

“Given the rising price of coal and other fuels — and looking at the rising costs of steel and concrete — we are taking another look at these units,” he said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/aug/21/tennessee-valley-authority-study-reviving-bellefon/

Now the questions are:
1. Will the NRC re-issue the CP?
2. Will TVA build 3&4 (AP1000) and then 1&2 (B&W 177) or reverse order?
3. Can you really invest $20 Billion in a county of 55,000 people?  :o

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #73 on: Aug 26, 2008, 10:52 »
OK, 1&2 are back!

Now the questions are:
1. Will the NRC re-issue the CP?
2. Will TVA build 3&4 (AP1000) and then 1&2 (B&W 177) or reverse order?
3. Can you really invest $20 Billion in a county of 55,000 people?  :o

When CNO Bill Campbell was at Sequoyah for his plant visit he told us that Bellefonte was back on the radar screen. 
1) He mentioned requesting the construction permit to be reissued and had no concern about getting it. 
2) He said that the two original units would be completed first since the cost ratio per kilowatt would be about half as much as the AP1000's.  I forget the exact numbers he quoted but it was substantial.
3) Didn't talk about it.  But how many times have we seen a "feasibility" study done on Bellefonte, BFN 1, or Watts Bar 2 and here we go again throwing millions out there to some lucky Engineering firm just to validate/reconfirm what I would think we know already, IMO.  Besides with an address like "Hollywood", Alabama,,,55 Billion probably won't go far  8)
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

ISFSI

« Reply #74 on: Aug 27, 2008, 10:21 »
Is this the same Bill Campbell who was formerly with Entergy a few years back?   ???

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?