Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rent a tech Union debate  

Poll

Would You support a nationwide IBEW Union, and sign a card?

Yes
102 (52.3%)
No
93 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Rent a tech Union debate  (Read 420447 times)

B.PRESGROVE

Re: Rent a tech Union debate
« Reply #600 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:04 »
If Im not mistaken isnt a union based on the senority rule?  (only the senior unionees get free coffee, everyone else must pay 10% more dues to get free coffee).  STRIKE!!!!

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #601 on: Nov 07, 2007, 06:22 »
Great points.  Another question, wouldnt a union make the pay and per-d flat across the board?  From east to west they will pretty much stay the same?

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #602 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:02 »
As said a union is not a perfect thing........

But without a formal training/apprenticeship program we are migrating towards going to  meter reading tests, (and some hp's don't do so well on them?).....uh was that 40 mr/hr or 40 R/hr......doh.....

it's in our interest, the NRC's interest, and the utilities interest to make sure we have it right.......the utilities skate out on costs by dumping training onto Bartlett and I don't see Bartlett helping much........well As far as Linn State Tech.......who is going to go to college for two years and sign up to be a road tech with all it's benefits.....for the time spent in college you would expect a house job.......

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #603 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:16 »
Great points.  Another question, wouldnt a union make the pay and per-d flat across the board?  From east to west they will pretty much stay the same?
No.  No other trade does this.  There doesn't seem to be a reason to do it for HP's.  Why would you want the same per diem at Palo Verde that they are poying at Hatch?  If they standardize it, it will be set at the lowest rate for everybody.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #604 on: Nov 07, 2007, 12:35 »
Does anyone know how much these guys want for dues? I looked at their website and couldn't find it anywhere. I wonder if anyone would really agree to send their picture ID to these folks? :-\

What's that old saying , something about suckers being born every minute :o
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #605 on: Nov 07, 2007, 12:45 »
What's that old saying , something about suckers being born every minute :o

PT Barnum underestimated the American public... there are several born every minute.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #606 on: Nov 07, 2007, 12:49 »
I believe that it is an attempt to form a union. Obviously we are not at this time unionized. I believe they are trying to generate enough interest for a vote, they have not asked for any funds and the personal info. seems to be for a record of interested parties and a means of communication with us techs.

It looks to me that it is in the very early stages and I am not going to discount them until we see what the real story is. If the information on the site is really what they are trying to do, I would listen to them before the IBEW any day. Maybe we should just stay tuned.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

illegalsmile

« Reply #607 on: Nov 07, 2007, 02:56 »
that's an interesting name..."Union Leadership"
Sure, send your money to an anonymous web site.....apparently in Ukraine. Sounds legit to me. ;)

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #608 on: Nov 07, 2007, 07:55 »
So are you saying that you were unable to get a good paying job based on your own qualification and abilities, you needed a union to do that?
No I'm saying you would be protected from the B.S.

The union is not a perfect thing, a work in progress!  So how many years have they been around?  The Nation Labor Union was formed in 1866, the Knights of Labor in 1869 and the American Federation of Labor in 1886.  How many more years are the unions going to need to get it right?

I’m sorry, but the ONLY advantage to the contractors at Clinton when they are forced to join the union to work there is a little extra pay.  No other benefits are offered and no representation.  But the union is more than happy to reach into your pocket for their dues.
Wrong you are not force to join anything. You could opt out. You would still pay a fee. You are represented. You get to pick your own stewards and you have in put to the new contract

The union will only take away your ability to make decisions on your own, where you will and when you will work.  As I have stated several time before, no thanks.  I’ve been able to take care of myself, my family and my future without the interference of a union, and if I am force to join a union to do my current job, I’ll look elsewhere for a profession.
Wrong again. The only 3 decision you can't make is the date you get laid off, your day off & if you get night shift or day shift. The rest is up to you.

A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #609 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:03 »
 ??? Ok from what I saw, that whole Ukraine thing is just a web host for this union web site.  But who are these guys?  Give us names >:(.  This forum is full of very "intelligent" (spell check) folks who dont just throw thier money at anything (well almost anything ???)  We need more info.  Dont just tell us to email you with questions, give it to us straight.

1. Who are you
2. Where is the home office going to be (Moms basement doesnt count)
3. How much more of my money is going to be taken to fund you
4. How much say do I have in the goings on in this organization
5. Votes
6. If I am laid off are you going to be there for me and my family
7. Can we count on you to get us regular stedy work

These are just a few.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #610 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:09 »
Yah I saw the pay scale, it is nice.  But again give us the basics.  We are Nukewokers not cavemen.  (uh yah I think thats right) ???

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #611 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:48 »
Doesn't everyone get double time on Sundays??
Wow, you guys are missing out....
You need to form a union... :P

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #612 on: Nov 08, 2007, 12:14 »
I can’t help but think it’s a scam.  Some ‘old HP’ is thinking he can get a contract at a nuclear plant if he can get some HP’s to hold out…  Remind you of anyone?

These people would say who they are if they were a legitimate organization.

Can you imagine NukeWorker being successful if I hid our identity?

I think all of the bashing is a bit premature.

I am remaining a skeptic, but I am willing to reserve opinion until it unfolds instead of jumping all over someone that may just have our best interests in mind. It would take HUGE Kahonies to take the lead in a movement like this...so I will just wait and see what the deal really is.

By the way...I did a search for the IP address on the following.

http://www.selfseo.com/find_ip_address_of_a_website.php

It came back as a USA address. Just FYI.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 02:39 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #613 on: Nov 08, 2007, 07:42 »
Us liberals like to keep our Democrat's pockets full, so they can get us all those extra bennies.......

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #614 on: Nov 08, 2007, 08:57 »

From January 1, 1993 through June 30 2006, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers contributed a total of $3.727 million to Illinois candidates for statewide and legislative office

That works out to $324,086.96 per year.  The next things to know would be 1. To how many candidates?
2. How many IBEW members are there in Illinois for each year?  3. Is this money given through a PAC or straight from the IBEW treasury? It does make a difference.  My local (IUOE) has a PAC that is totally voluntary that contributions are made from.

As far as them giving to candidates (better than calling them names, don't you think?) they probably don't have any money to do that with yet do they?
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

McBride

« Reply #615 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:24 »
We are not accepting anything from anybody at this point...
We will be releasing the information...
We are still working ..."

"We" being the complete non-professional who spent $25 to put together a page and the virtual female companion he downloaded to his parent's computer?

RADBASTARD

nuclear professional union of america
« Reply #616 on: Nov 20, 2007, 01:48 »
I found this very interesting web site the other day.It was about how we could better our wages,benefits,per diem.
Everybody should take a look at this.It was very intriging.

Moderator note: Web Site link removed to disassociate this site from theirs.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007, 07:26 by RDTroja »

Rad Sponge

Re: nuclear professional union of america
« Reply #617 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:06 »
I found this very interesting web site the other day.It was about how we could better our wages,benefits,per diem.

I prefer to better my wages through performance based raises and not being controlled by a third party that gets a portion of my money. There are already enough hands in my pocket, why should I invite another to take my money?

Isn't there a huge thread addressing union vs non-union. Can this be merged with that?
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007, 07:36 by Rennhack »

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: nuclear professional union of america
« Reply #618 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:09 »
Isn't there a huge thread addressing union vs non-union. Can this be merged with that?

Jason you are correct, merge complete  8)

RadBastard, check out some previous posts in this thread regarding the npua.

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007, 07:36 by Rennhack »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #619 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:26 »
Looking at the NPUA website leaves me a little uneasy......

first who is this "we"
second ...it will not be a self sustaining idea if "we " forgets about a viable training and apprenticeship program.....

third EPRI, INPO, the NRC and the utilties are skating on their responsiblties on training a contractor apprentice workforce.......throwing deconners in a corner to read procedures, and then having to implement meter reading ability tests does not make a very viable training program........well that said.....thats the direction we are currently heading, its a broken down system being made to work....to meet the letter of the law(barely)......

as far as wages/benefits go, a apprenticeship program has to addressed, otherwise you will have people wanting a raise because they aced the meter reading test...

to be only concerned about who is worried about who is reaching into their paycheck  is very naive and self centered.........(as far as who is reaching in there now, anyone of a few bean counters at some investment group)if they can't make the profits they want, who is to stop them from selling the group to "another investment group"

anyway the NPUA has some good ideas however from what the website says sofar.....it will be poorly implemented......

alphadude

« Reply #620 on: Nov 22, 2007, 05:19 »
at this point who cares?

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
« Reply #621 on: Nov 27, 2007, 09:16 »
I noticed some signs posted around the DOE Reservation in Oak Ridge yesterday (heard they were up Saturday) trying to organize the RADCON/HPs into the IBEW.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #622 on: Nov 27, 2007, 07:46 »
Thats is laughable. They will fail worse here than they did with Progress Energy.  No one I know wants a union here. 
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2007, 07:46 by thenukeman »

alphadude

« Reply #623 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:38 »
are we talking rascals and scoundrels???

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #624 on: Dec 22, 2007, 06:56 »

Here is a story of Union Decertification, Be careful what you wish for.  This woman's home was destroyed after she voted in good faith to decertify her union.  I guess the Union cronies who were no longer getting checks had her whacked.

By the way this union was decertified. I just wish my grandfather could have realized this was the answer to the union he belonged to.

The Monroe County (TN) home of a woman who crossed a picket line at Maremont Exhaust Products this year was vandalized Tuesday, causing damages totaling $20,000 to $30,000.

The company called it an "act of domestic terrorism." According to a Monroe County Sheriff's Department incident report, the vandalism was probably related to an eight-month strike at Maremont in Loudon County.

The vandalized home belongs to Della Thomas, who crossed the picket line and backed the dissolving of International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local 2545. In October, the National Labor Relations Board effectively dissolved the union after workers and strikers voted 223 to 141 to decertify the union.

The article can be read here. http://theunionnews.blogspot.com/2007_09_29_archive.html

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?