Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu plant designs

Author Topic: plant designs  (Read 9392 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

plant designs
« on: Jan 06, 2007, 07:55 »
...sphere...mark 1 (torus)...mark 2 (over-under...suppression pool)...mark 3...are clinton, perry, river bend, grand gulf the only mark 3 containment bwr's...

wlrun3@aol.com

Re: plant designs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2007, 10:38 »

..."Recirculation systems are of two types, variable speed pumps and valve flow control."   Bartlett Nuclear Inc., Light Water Reactor Systems Training Material...

...are there any operating bwr's using the valve flow control recirculation system...

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:14 »
recirc flow control via flow control valves began with bwr/5 and into bwr/6

bwr/5
columbia
nine mile point 2
lasalle 1 & 2

bwr/6
perry
clinton
grand gulf
river bend
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2007, 12:26 by NucEng for Hire »

M1Ark

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2007, 01:00 »
I worked at a GE-4 and we had variable speed recirc pumps.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2007, 02:28 »

...concerning bwr containments (sphere, mark 1-torus, mark 2-"over-under" with suppression pool, mark 3-suppression pool below and to the sides of the drywell)...

...are the mark 3 containments unique to the bwr 6s (clinton, perry, river bend, grand gulf)...

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2007, 05:24 »

...are the mark 3 containments unique to the bwr 6s (clinton, perry, river bend, grand gulf)...

yes; there are 4 bwr/6s in the US and 4 mark III containments, and they are the same plants.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2007, 05:33 by NucEng for Hire »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2007, 10:30 »
...four pwr's have facades (ginna, millstone 2, point beach 1 & 2)...was the intention solely aesthetic...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:50 »
...four pwr's have facades (ginna, millstone 2, point beach 1 & 2)...was the intention solely aesthetic...

I don't know, but Kewaunee painted their containment building blue and hid their switchyard... just looks like a farm with a MUCH bigger silo than all the neighbors...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:50 »
IIRC a few of the BWR 5 and 6 abandoned the Flow Control Valve Scheme and went to a modified version where the valves control to something like 20% open the are full opened and then Recirc Speed is adjusted. I might be wrong on this.

Back in the Mid 90s there were LOTS of BWR SCRAMS reported either due to FCV Lock Up or FCV Failing open or closed when they shouldn't have.

IMO The BWR 4 got it right with Variable Speed Recirc Pumps. Especially once digital controls became available because GEMACs SUCKED!

Mike

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:37 »
VFD's are a dream compared to our old recirc MG sets. Those old scoop tubes had way to much "slop", especially at high RPM. We can easily maintain RX power within 1 or 2 MWT of full power, so much so that there is little margin for error.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:44 »
Fermi2 used Recirc MGs. Spare parts were a nightmare but IIRC we always maintained within 2MW of rated thermal on an 8 hour average.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?