Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Re: Enlisted Bonus Went Up

Author Topic: Re: Enlisted Bonus Went Up  (Read 94042 times)

MinnNukeRecruiter

Re: Enlisted Bonus Went Up
« on: Nov 07, 2006, 02:24 »
June-Oct   $16,000 bonus
Nov-Jan    $18,000
Feb-May   $20,000 

Thats a helluva lot more than what I got, so you newbies be thankful. Hope to talk to more of you seasoned veterans soon.

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2008, 08:51 by Rennhack »

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:29 »
Hey everyone, here's my first post on this website: MM2(SS) Pecore

ex-USS Key West SSN 722 M-Div, now bringing more nukes to you than anywhere else in the nation.

Welcome Aboard ;D

Hopefully you'll be able to give some factual answers to those seeking information here, that's what NukeWorker is all about...trying to help folks.

Thanks in advance for your input, and Thank You for serving our Country ;D

your friendly neighborhood moderator

hopster  8)
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2007, 11:36 by Shayne »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

longball4414

The enlistment bonus went up?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2007, 02:16 »
In the beginning of 2006 when I signed up the bonus to join the Navy as a nuke was

June-Oct   $8,000 bonus
Nov-Jan    $10,000
Feb-May   $12,000

From what I understood, but now I just read in a post that it is

June-Oct   $16,000 bonus
Nov-Jan    $18,000
Feb-May   $20,000

Is this true? I'm referring to the post in the "Welcome aboard, you're a dink!" thread, but felt it was off topic there and needed a new post.

If this is true, I'm leaving in May for sure  ;D

dav8

Re: The enlistment bonus went up?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2007, 06:03 »
They can change at any time without notice---talk to your recruiter.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2007, 06:03 by dav8 »

JsonD13

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2007, 02:35 »
I am not for sure but I believe the bonus you signed up for when you signed papers at MEPS is what your'e stuck with.  I would check and see if you need to sign a new contract for this.

redimsok

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:39 »
the bonus you signed up for when you signed papers at MEPS is what your'e stuck with. 

Hate to break it to you, but he's right. unless you change your ship date and get a new contract, you will get the bonus you signed up for. the good news is that 12,000 is still a lot of money when you have no bills. 1/3 after power and 2/3 after prototype. best of luck in school and the navy

longball4414

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2007, 02:13 »
My situation looks like this. I was supposed to leave last september, but something happened. I currently don't have a shipping date, but I have the option still since my test scores are good for two years.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2007, 03:31 »
but something happened.

That leaves a world of possibilities, can you elucidate?

longball4414

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:37 »
Doesn't matter what happened. I'm not in DEP, but my recruiter still calls me checking in every once in a while. The option to sign back up is still there.

homersimpson

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2007, 02:40 »
i can vouch for the higher numbers being current

longball4414

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:52 »
i can vouch for the higher numbers being current

Woohoo, awesome man. Thanks. Good news!  ;D

jasonmv

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:43 »
Hey guys, I'm a Nuke DEP'er and not leaving until May, but I browse this site for info on the Nuclear Pipeline.  Anyhow, I keep seeing that most people say that the max bonus is more than likely gonna be 12k, and I agree, but a tip for any people who are thinking of getting into the Navy nuke program:  Take college courses, as early as high school, if possible.  I took some dual enrollment courses in high school and a semester of college and I'm getting a 14k bonus.  On top of that, depending on who you talk to in MEPS, you could get 20% of it after RTC (this is what is in my contract).  But I suppose it depends, I read somewhere on here that recruits get a third after Power school, not RTC.  I would have gotten 15k, but I needed to get more college credits (your recruiter should be able to explain how many credits for every 1k you get).  Good luck to all New Nukes and Godspeed!

redimsok

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:48 »
what long ball said is true, with college you can get part of your bonus after rtc BUT and i have to stress this, YOU HAVE TO GET IT IN YOU CONTRACT AT MEPS. if you don't get it in your contract it won't matter if you have 2 masters, u won't get a penny more than anybody else.

for everyone else you get 1/3 of your bonus after power school (the second school) and the rest after prototype.

grimmreaper42

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2007, 05:13 »
The bonuses did go up, I have an 18k bonus waiting for me right now.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2007, 06:10 »
The bonuses did go up, I have an 18k bonus waiting for me right now.

Good for you. Good luck.

Clerisy

« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2007, 06:17 »
I signed my contract today.  $16,000.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:37 »
Good luck but you're still a bunch of NUBs.

Mike

drbyyz

« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:00 »
I signed up february 15th and got a 16,000 bonus.  whats all this about college credits, I have around 60 and no one said a word to me about using them to get my money sooner.

drbyyz

« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2007, 05:28 »
So I just signed a contract today for a new boot camp date and my bonus went from 16k to 20k...I guess it does have to do with when you leave.

Handgimp

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2007, 05:44 »
I signed up february 15th and got a 16,000 bonus.  whats all this about college credits, I have around 60 and no one said a word to me about using them to get my money sooner.

When I came in I got $10k for nuke and $6k for 84 hours of college. I got 1/3 of the total bonus paid after a-school graduation, and the final 2/3 after prototype graduation. If you have no college kicker, you got 1/2 after Power School grad and the other 1/2 after prototype grad.

Be advised that if you fail out of prototype (or get denuked for any reason that's considered your fault), you will have to pay back the portion you received after Power School.

longball4414

« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2007, 01:39 »
My recruiter just told me it was 8-20k depending on when you leave.

Samabby

« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2007, 08:55 »
" My recruiter just told me ..... "

Always consider the source very carefully, my young friend.  8)

LaFeet

Re: Welcome Aboard, you're Dink.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2007, 03:42 »
June-Oct   $16,000 bonus
Nov-Jan    $18,000
Feb-May   $20,000 

Thats a helluva lot more than what I got, so you newbies be thankful. Hope to talk to more of you seasoned veterans soon.

MM2(SS) Pecore

ex-USS Key West SSN 722 M-Div, now bringing more nukes to you than anywhere else in the nation.

WOW  can I get in on this band wagon??? I promise to be able to pass all those silly exams. And I even go subs..... cause they be neato

cleonard19

« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2007, 01:40 »
Got mine today for $18k +$2k College credits But the way the chief petty officer at MEPS explained it to me is that they offer you a better bonus at different times of the year to keep things flowing. They get a massive influx of high school grads going during the summer, but as things fill up they have to deal with losing all these high school grads to college and other jobs. So basically the longer you have to wait past your H.S. graduation, the more they pay to keep you in. and then of course it all bottoms out again as the next wave of HS grads comes through.

PunchOut

« Reply #24 on: Jul 22, 2007, 06:37 »
how do they pay out the bonus for the nuke program?

Rad Sponge

« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2007, 07:00 »
how do they pay out the bonus for the nuke program?

By reading about 4 messages back.

Installments.

thatitalianguy32

« Reply #26 on: Jul 22, 2007, 10:48 »
can i get some help?
i need new york proto info? can you give me any?
i relly need to know the BAH up there too.. im finding mixed numbers. as well as a decent place to find an apartment
if you arent in proto, in SC or are else where i apologize and you neednt reply.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2007, 10:53 »
Search the threads. There is a recent one addressing your needs.

drainbamage

« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2007, 03:16 »

My ship date is Feb 14th and I got the capped 20k. I wonder what qualified me for more.

I'm told that even though I signed papers to get rolled in to leave earlier, I should still recieve whatever my contract guarantees me. I'm hoping this is true and they can't force me to sign a new contract for when I actually leave. Can anyone confirm this?

get_sum

« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2007, 12:38 »
I'm the Nuclear Coordinator for NRD Jacksonville, FL.  I cover the southern hlaf of GA and the northern half of FL.  The reason you got $20k is because you are shipping in Feb.  If you "roll-in" and leave any sooner than Feb 1st, you bonus will go down to $18k.

EM1 (SW) Hosman

drainbamage

« Reply #30 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:07 »
I'm the Nuclear Coordinator for NRD Jacksonville, FL.  I cover the southern hlaf of GA and the northern half of FL.  The reason you got $20k is because you are shipping in Feb.  If you "roll-in" and leave any sooner than Feb 1st, you bonus will go down to $18k.

EM1 (SW) Hosman

I was told that I wouldn't have to sign a new contract if I were to roll-in. Unless this is untrue, there would be no way for them to lower my bonus, no?

Samabby

« Reply #31 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:53 »
If you are whining about this, it's gonna be a looooong six years.  ;)

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:44 »
When I came in I got $10k for nuke and $6k for 84 hours of college. I got 1/3 of the total bonus paid after a-school graduation, and the final 2/3 after prototype graduation. If you have no college kicker, you got 1/2 after Power School grad and the other 1/2 after prototype grad.

Be advised that if you fail out of prototype (or get denuked for any reason that's considered your fault), you will have to pay back the portion you received after Power School.
They didn't have an enlistment bonus when I went in. There is something else you may want to get confirmation on prior to going in. When you are in boot camp you get tested for cataracts. Most people don't have them. You can't be a navy nuke if you have them. The Navy will not tell you that you have them until you are almost finished nuke school. They want to see if you flunk out first then they can send you to the conventional fleet. This happened to a friend of mine in my class. He was real sharp. About a week before the comp they pulled him out of class and gave him the option of conventional MM or discharge. He got out. This may effect the enlistment bonus that you guys are promised. Good Luck

drainbamage

« Reply #33 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:02 »
If you are whining about this, it's gonna be a looooong six years.  ;)

I wouldn't call it whining, I want to go in regardless. However the 2k difference in bonus based on the interpretation/practice of the contract seems silly to lose due to lack of knowledge and/or involvement in the process.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #34 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:07 »
Different ship dates pay different bonuses.

The bigger picture is that the bean counters need to fill quotas, to fill billets, to send ships to sea, and let Sailors take shore billets so they can come shore side and let the newbies fill their spots, get experience, and the circle of life continues....sing it Elton, sing it for Simba.

If they need you bad to ship, you get to profit on that need. If not, you don't.

drainbamage

« Reply #35 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:26 »
I think I'm missing the answer, so I'll rephrase.

If my contract for Feb pays 'x' amount, and I roll in to ship in November, would they make me sign a new contract and thereby redefine the amount in the bonus from 'x' to 'y'?
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007, 05:49 by landlubber »

Rad Sponge

« Reply #36 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:43 »
Yes, because the terms of the contract changed.

drainbamage

« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:54 »
Yes, because the terms of the contract changed.

Roger that

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #38 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:38 »
I really don't think there are any conspiracies to screw people over. I wouldn't sweat it. If it is documented in his initial physicals, then he should be good to go. Of course, policy could change later. e.g. it was once OK to have zyban to help quit smoking as a submarine nuke on shore duty. Then... they changed their minds and retroactively it disqualified you submarines and possible denuking.

Justin

LDO4CNO

« Reply #39 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:36 »

Is this true about the Navy putting a sailor with cataracts in nuke school, knowing full well he/she is not qualified? Seems like a bait and switch tactic.   My son, who is in his 7th week of ET Nuke school, has an IOL (intraocular lens implant) in his left eye.  Will this disqualify him for Navy Nuke?    Thanks for any comments on this.  I hate rumors!                                  Kathy, VPMN of Kyle

Kathy,
As Justin says, if it is already documented you should have nothing to worry about.  I am not sure about your son’s case but can speak to the cataracts a little.  I have had a cataract in my right eye since a very young age.  The cataract was identified by the navy when I entered the navy on a nuclear contract.  It was determined that it was due to an injury I suffered (A fist fight that didn’t work out so well for me) at a young age.  The cataract was not in the line of vision and was not growing.  They kept me in the program.  That was over twenty years, several submarines, one nuclear carrier and several nuclear repair jobs later.  I am still active duty navy, operating and maintaining nuclear plants, and the cataract is a discussion item with the doctors every few years.  I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
I certainly would not worry about the Military intentionally deceiving you.  We don’t do business that way.
Good Luck
JB

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #40 on: Oct 20, 2007, 08:37 »
LDO,
Maybe you could explain that guy was pulled out of class a week before his comp. It appeared a little strange because his cataract test was given almost a year before in boot camp. I don't believe the Navy goes out of their way to deceive people but it does happen. I re-enlisted STAR in 1982. Back then a nuke maxed out at 20,000. About a month after the ceremony, I was notified that the Navy mis-calculated my bonus and that I was over paid $4000. I had $20,000 in writing. They starting deducting my pay. My XO sat me down and agreed that I was getting screwed but told me to suck it up. I petitioned the Bureau of Naval Record Correction to get the bonus I was promised. I wanted to stay in. After 2 years of waiting the bureau responded back and said the Navy was correct in screwing me over. Needless to say I was a little disillusioned. I had no choice but to get an attorney and get out. I was proud to serve but I was not going to be treated like that. I know I'm an exception and not the rule.  Bottom line, the Navy does whatever suits them.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #41 on: Oct 20, 2007, 10:18 »
LDO,
Maybe you could explain that guy was pulled out of class a week before his comp. It appeared a little strange because his cataract test was given almost a year before in boot camp. I don't believe the Navy goes out of their way to deceive people but it does happen. I re-enlisted STAR in 1982. Back then a nuke maxed out at 20,000. About a month after the ceremony, I was notified that the Navy mis-calculated my bonus and that I was over paid $4000. I had $20,000 in writing. They starting deducting my pay. My XO sat me down and agreed that I was getting screwed but told me to suck it up. I petitioned the Bureau of Naval Record Correction to get the bonus I was promised. I wanted to stay in. After 2 years of waiting the bureau responded back and said the Navy was correct in screwing me over. Needless to say I was a little disillusioned. I had no choice but to get an attorney and get out. I was proud to serve but I was not going to be treated like that. I know I'm an exception and not the rule.  Bottom line, the Navy does whatever suits them.
Xbox,

It sounds like all of your experiences were not positive.  I regret that you encountered the problems you did.  I recall the $20,000 ceiling.  Wow, I still remember how much money that was.  You could buy a pretty nice car for 20K back then huh.  Now it won’t pay tuition for one of my kids…..I digress.

I can’t explain why the guy was pulled out of class a week before his comp.  I can say with confidence though that the navy program wants to retain these guys.  It does now, it did then, and quality students were a precious commodity.  I have been an instructor and section advisor on more than one tour and have seen the inner workings of the schools philosophy.  I have heard or program directors speak on this very subject for a lot of years.  We understand quality nucs are our greatest asset.  We want to keep these shipmates.  Perhaps, your friend had an exceptional case.  Perhaps his cataract was worsening, perhaps he didn’t share with you all of the details of his case.  In the same era I went through with a well documented cataract.  That is not to say it didn’t turn a lot of heads, the medical community constantly flagged it and scared me multiple times by bringing it up.   

It sounds like your pay situation may have been unique.  Without knowing all the details, it is hard to understand.  I can empathize though.  I found myself in a position where my SUBPAY was at risk over interpretation of a technicality years ago.  I fought multiple times over the case, and kept losing.  After numerous attempts and formal appeals I finally gave up.  The SUBPAY manager turned over,  the new guy looked at my file and contacted me about my case.  Shortly after that I received a check for multiple years of SUBPAY.   
Thanks for serving,

JB

NavyNuke2B

« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:43 »

June-Oct   $16,000 bonus
Nov-Jan    $18,000
Feb-May   $20,000 

I ship for boot in April of 08 and I'm getting 20k for sign-on bonus. So it's true for April, the Feb-May...i don't know. Ask a recruiter.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:27 »
can i get some help?
i need new york proto info? can you give me any?
i relly need to know the BAH up there too.. im finding mixed numbers. as well as a decent place to find an apartment
if you arent in proto, in SC or are else where i apologize and you neednt reply.

im in new york right now. Its great in the summer, sucks in the winter. Just hope you dont get stuck at marf like me! BAH for you is about 1200$ a month. BAS is around 280$. There are plenty of places to live.

andrew.pigg

« Reply #44 on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:22 »
I was just sworn in last week--Enlistment bonus=24,000$  Then again I do have 90 something credit hours and scored a 95 on the ASVAB and something like a 266 on the nuke portion. 

TheObiJuan

« Reply #45 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:55 »
24K combined I presume....
Look at your packet, the Nuke bonus is separate.
I got a 20k bonus and 5k for college. 25k total.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 08:57 »
Good luck but you're still a bunch of NUBs.

Mike

haha oh mike... :D

hey for you guys who got really high scores on your asvab, make sure you get the bonus for having a high asvab score :) Its there, i promise... I was the ONLY person to get it in my class!

withroaj

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 11:05 »
Yeah and all you dink nuke nubs, get your feeish before you go out and spend your pro pay on your fancy cars and fancy shoes, fast women and fabulous prizes! (OK, fine.  A RM-Div Chief actually said that).

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 12:59 »
Yeah and all you dink nuke nubs, get your feeish before you go out and spend your pro pay on your fancy cars and fancy shoes, fast women and fabulous prizes! (OK, fine.  A RM-Div Chief actually said that).

HAHA I will neve forget the look on this one guys face when I asked him how he was going to pay for his brand new 40000 dollar BMW when he left prototype. He explained that he would have 6 roomates like he does now so that he keeps 90% of his BAH. He didn't know he would be living on the ship/barracks and lose the BAH. :) His response... "I guess I will have to reenlist."  ;D What is the saying... "youth is wasted on the young."

Justin

TheObiJuan

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2008, 05:40 »
haha oh mike... :D

hey for you guys who got really high scores on your asvab, make sure you get the bonus for having a high asvab score :) Its there, i promise... I was the ONLY person to get it in my class!

I got a 93, just hitting the "High ASVAB" but I am in the DEP program less than 6 months--so no bonus.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2008, 06:14 »
I got a 93, just hitting the "High ASVAB" but I am in the DEP program less than 6 months--so no bonus.

HOLY S#%T!!! I thought the "High ASVAB" bonus was just some NUB pulling my leg.  I guess it is serious.  Wow guess they will throw money at anything except a program that will make life better on the inside.  Is it too late to go back through the WHOLE process again, By the time I re-graduate the pipeline, I would be several thousands richer and would be at over 10 years and school has got to be a breeze nowadays.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2008, 08:18 »
HOLY S#%T!!! I thought the "High ASVAB" bonus was just some NUB pulling my leg.  I guess it is serious.  Wow guess they will throw money at anything except a program that will make life better on the inside.  Is it too late to go back through the WHOLE process again, By the time I re-graduate the pipeline, I would be several thousands richer and would be at over 10 years and school has got to be a breeze nowadays.

I have day dreamed a time or two about going back through the pipeline as a student.  I could only imagine what it would be like for someone licensed commercially to go through now............it would be funny to imagine BZ a lowly E4 telling off his instructors. 

MinnNukeRecruiter

« Reply #52 on: Sep 23, 2008, 03:36 »

There is no "High ASVAB Bonus" in existence. For nukes you can get the EB, then the EBCC (Enlistment Bonus for College Credit) to bump it up more.

New NAVADMIN message as of last month, Nuke EB's are now $21k-$25k.   

PreciousBlue, I agree. All the money that they are throwing around could be put towards quality of life issues, but I think the Navy would be seeing a helluva lot more separations because of the lower EBs and SRBs.

Gotta admit, $90k for zone B is awfully tempting...

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #53 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:16 »

Not really, especially if you get just the tiniest hint of what life is like on the outside. 

withroaj

« Reply #54 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:43 »
Not really, especially if you get just the tiniest hint of what life is like on the outside. 

Sure you want to be out of the military when the poo hits the fan?  I'd say the last real pension plan in the US doesn't look too bad when compared to today's market based retirement plans...  I guess it's not worth retiring from a job you can't stand.  To each his own, eh?

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #55 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:55 »
I was just sworn in last week--Enlistment bonus=24,000$  Then again I do have 90 something credit hours and scored a 95 on the ASVAB and something like a 266 on the nuke portion. 

Thanks for your service... ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008, 10:18 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #56 on: Sep 23, 2008, 06:55 »
Sure you want to be out of the military when the poo hits the fan?  I'd say the last real pension plan in the US doesn't look too bad when compared to today's market based retirement plans...  I guess it's not worth retiring from a job you can't stand.  To each his own, eh?

Whatever you have to tell yourself man. Market based retirement plans are for the long run, and in the long run they will always out perform the military pension. You can't use current conditions as an excuse to stay navy. Actually, any excuse that stops you from having to say "I did it for the money" is just as good as any other. Really, I would rather you just told the truth.

But you are 100% correct, to each his own.

Justin
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2008, 06:55 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #57 on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:02 »

No, its not.

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #58 on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:07 »
Whatever you have to tell yourself man. Market based retirement plans are for the long run, and in the long run they will always out perform the military pension. You can't use current conditions as an excuse to stay navy. Actually, any excuse that stops you from having to say "I did it for the money" is just as good as any other. Really, I would rather you just told the truth.

Justin

Oh I'm not committed to retirement.  I've got a carrier tour, after which I'll take a shore duty; and then I'll decide.  I've been in 5 1/2 years and I still enjoy it.  Might as well keep the job I like, right?

Maziwrath

« Reply #59 on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:29 »
I leave October 1st and I am getting 19k. 16k for Nuke and 3k for College credit. And, to those of you who posted ASVAB scores--I got a 99. So, :p

Ken_Subnuc

« Reply #60 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:04 »
I leave October 1st and I am getting 19k. 16k for Nuke and 3k for College credit. And, to those of you who posted ASVAB scores--I got a 99. So, :p

that 99 ASVAB score apparently isn't helping you too much...Otherwise you would of demanded the cap enlistment bonus(which is now 24k) Screwed yourself out of 8k IMO.

Sorry for the lact of tact, but in my defense you also used very little.

And for future reference; your asvab score means about as much as, how well you did in the elementary school play. A guy in my 'A' School class got a 99 on the Asvab...think he graduated with a 2.7.

Maziwrath

« Reply #61 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:56 »
that 99 ASVAB score apparently isn't helping you too much...Otherwise you would of demanded the cap enlistment bonus(which is now 24k) Screwed yourself out of 8k IMO.

And for future reference; your asvab score means about as much as, how well you did in the elementary school play. A guy in my 'A' School class got a 99 on the Asvab...think he graduated with a 2.7.

I was simply responding to the absurdness of everyone else posting their ASVAB score, I didn't start it. That said, I don't intend to graduate with a 2.7.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #62 on: Sep 24, 2008, 12:56 »
Oh I'm not committed to retirement.  I've got a carrier tour, after which I'll take a shore duty; and then I'll decide.  I've been in 5 1/2 years and I still enjoy it.  Might as well keep the job I like, right?

And there is nothing wrong with that. I just hate when people shovel BS or fall for BS reasons to stay if they don't like it. AKA Panick reenlisting.

Justin

mlslstephens

« Reply #63 on: Sep 24, 2008, 06:00 »

Your post reminded me of Frank the Tank from Old School..."Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

But seriously, I think your approach is perfect and as long as you enjoy your job, keep doing it.  Just a word of wisdom from someone who was in your shoes a few years ago.  Don't be surprised to see yourself looking back over a 20+ year career and wondering where all the time went so fast. 

Good Luck and thanks for serving.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Sep 24, 2008, 06:37 »

Justin

Not to mention the fact that even the military has gone to a 401K style plan with TSP.  The only difference....Most private companies have matching contributions.  Navy doesn't. 

Yea back in my day (1998) we had a guy with a 99 ASVAB and 67 NFQT fail out of A school after two subjects, Math and BM.  The ASVAB is basically the Miltary version of SAT, it measures how well you should do in training, not what you will do.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #65 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:12 »
Not to mention the fact that even the military has gone to a 401K style plan with TSP.  The only difference....Most private companies have matching contributions.  Navy doesn't. 

Yea back in my day (1998) we had a guy with a 99 ASVAB and 67 NFQT fail out of A school after two subjects, Math and BM.  The ASVAB is basically the Miltary version of SAT, it measures how well you should do in training, not what you will do.

Haha there are so many things that people would think are indicators of future performance in the NNPP that just aren't true. We had a LT on my boat who couldn't pass ENG school, yet he had an engineering degree from MIT. Some people are just cut out for it, some are not. ASVAB/NFQT/Degrees are no guarantees for anything in this line of work.

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #66 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:13 »

Rick James comes to mind.  :P
Slap *******!

Justin

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Sep 24, 2008, 08:25 »
I would say, once you are screened and accepted into training, the only indicator necessary to predict future success is desire.

Maziwrath

« Reply #68 on: Sep 24, 2008, 08:29 »
I would say, once you are screened and accepted into training, the only indicator necessary to predict future success is desire.

Desire I definately have.

AskewDivergent

« Reply #69 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:18 »
I have some buddies who are instructors at NPTU, and they are saying that it is flippin impossible to fail someone out who seriously should not be there. Apparently they send everyone through remedial upgrades until they finally stumble their way through a board.

As for that reenlistment bonus, personally, I know just where they can shove that.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #70 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:28 »
I have some buddies who are instructors at NPTU, and they are saying that it is flippin impossible to fail someone out who seriously should not be there. Apparently they send everyone through remedial upgrades until they finally stumble their way through a board.

As for that reenlistment bonus, personally, I know just where they can shove that.

well this fact has been discussed at length on several threads and confirmed by numerous individuals(both E and O gangers).  But your buddies are right, it is 99.999999999999999% impossible to have a student fail out as long as they give at least 0.00000000000000000001% effort.   

imthehoopa

« Reply #71 on: Oct 10, 2008, 03:03 »
Posted already in the "DEP, shipdate..." thread but here it is in this one in case someone actually goes here to find it.

The cap for Nuke enlistment is 25,000. I'm not sure about the month period where you get this, but I am shipping in April and got it. I assume it's just the few months right before high school graduations.

JnukePA11

« Reply #72 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:52 »
I'm scheduled for my physical at MEPS in 2 weeks.  I'm trying to figure out how the bonus negotiation works.  What I do know is that navy nuke enlistment is up to 25,000 at the moment.  Currently I already have a college degree and a Stafford student loan can I get money on top of the 25,000 to pay for that?  Also, from this thread it is unclear is there a "additional bonus" above the 25k mark because of a high ASVAB score? Finally are there any other "chips" I can play to up the initial bonus?  I know about selling my soul for STAR and the 65k after my first 2 years.

On a separate note: Has anyone worked with a mortgage company while in the service when you already owned a home.  This is the situation I'm in already owning a home before enlistment.

Thanks again,
Justin

JnukePA11

« Reply #73 on: Oct 23, 2008, 06:05 »
Thanks for the info Honeycomb if anyone else has any information especially along the lines of owning a home before you enter the service I would appreciate some insight.  Thanks again.

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #74 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:26 »
I'm scheduled for my physical at MEPS in 2 weeks.  I'm trying to figure out how the bonus negotiation works.  What I do know is that navy nuke enlistment is up to 25,000 at the moment.  Currently I already have a college degree and a Stafford student loan can I get money on top of the 25,000 to pay for that?  Also, from this thread it is unclear is there a "additional bonus" above the 25k mark because of a high ASVAB score? Finally are there any other "chips" I can play to up the initial bonus?  I know about selling my soul for STAR and the 65k after my first 2 years.

This is probably posted after you have made your decision, but here we go.  It is always a wonder to me how some think that joining any branch of service can be treated like buying a used car.  There is no way to negotiate the bonuses.  The bonuses are set by Congress when the new budget comes out each year.  So, no you can't add any other chips.  You can opt for the Loan Repayment Program(LRP) which will pay up to $60,000 in student loans.  They can not be privatized in order to qualify.  You can't take the bonus as well as the LRP though.  Lastly, there is no extra bonus based on ASVAB score.  You can get additional bonuses for college credits received before enlistment.  So make sure that you have a copy of your official college transcripts when you go to MEPS.  Don't mean to be rude by these statements, but don't treat this as a negotiation.  You can get what you are qualified for and the classifiers are not going to try to lowball you.  They are going to show you exactly what is mandated for the program.

Chad
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 10:26 by Demps0880 »

imthehoopa

« Reply #75 on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:08 »
Quick bonus question that my recruiter couldn't answer nor could the Nuke recruiter I talked to. The time frames for certain bonuses have been said in this topic to be February -> May, June -> September, and October -> January. Is that what they are or is that just arbitrary time frames someone made up?

My reason for asking is because they are asking for Nukes to get shipped out early and leave this month. If I can leave 2+ months early and not take a substantial cut in the pay (I know for sure that if I left last month I'd have gotten 7k less), then I would. Thanks in advance for your answers.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #76 on: Feb 10, 2009, 02:32 »
If you are ready to go, then go.
The bonuses are an incentive to stimulate a demand during low points of the year.
When seniors graduate there are MUCH more nukes leaving so the bonus goes down.

I was asked to leave early for RTC back in the day as well. I was told it was because NNPTC expects a regular flow of students to keep the classes going year round. If they're short they ask folks to leave early, if NNPTC anticipates full classes, they delay shipping out of more nukes.

imthehoopa

« Reply #77 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:32 »
If you are ready to go, then go.
The bonuses are an incentive to stimulate a demand during low points of the year.
When seniors graduate there are MUCH more nukes leaving so the bonus goes down.

I was asked to leave early for RTC back in the day as well. I was told it was because NNPTC expects a regular flow of students to keep the classes going year round. If they're short they ask folks to leave early, if NNPTC anticipates full classes, they delay shipping out of more nukes.

I understand why they are different at different times of the year and the money they offered me is not the reason I am joining. However, if I said I'd leave early today and could have left tomorrow (or still sometime just a bit later) for $7,000 more... I'd be a bit angry about that. I know that I am at least close to when they change. I just don't want to impatiently rush myself out of that much money.

Maziwrath

« Reply #78 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:13 »

So far so good, finished Math and BE with a 3.81 overall. =)

Offline surfinobx

• Very Lite User
  • Nuclear Power > Fossil Fuels
« Reply #79 on: Apr 02, 2009, 09:22 »
just dep'd in on the 27th of March and I'm due to ship out on the 18th of November.  I got a 84 on the ASVAB, far from a 99, and a 76 on the NFQT exam.  My enlistment bonus was $23,000.  It's too bad we don't get to see any of it until after all of the schooling.... :(
Stay far from timid, only make moves when your hearts in it and live the phrase "Sky's the limit". -Notorious B.I.G.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #80 on: Apr 02, 2009, 11:35 »
just dep'd in on the 27th of March and I'm due to ship out on the 18th of November.  I got a 84 on the ASVAB, far from a 99, and a 76 on the NFQT exam.  My enlistment bonus was $23,000.  It's too bad we don't get to see any of it until after all of the schooling.... :(

My RE-enlistment bonus was barely $32K, and I already had an NEC.  But I guess it is better than some of the older guys who got bribed suckered persuaded to re-up back in the day when all you got was a pat on the back, a new contract, and a swift kick in the "get back to work" section of your coveralls.

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #81 on: Apr 02, 2009, 11:42 »

You get part of your bonus after Power School, and the last part after Prototype.  If you had a College Kicker you would get some after A School.  I believe the partial payments show some reward for your hard work.  A School isn't that hard really.  It's kind of insurance for the program.  From their perspective you haven't done anything yet to prove you deserve the bonus.  If you don't make it through as a Nuke you would have to pay back any portion of the bonus you have received.  In the long run, it'll be worth the wait.

Good luck, it'll be hard work!
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009, 11:45 by vagabond »
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

nione46

« Reply #82 on: Apr 20, 2009, 12:18 »
You get part of your bonus after Power School, and the last part after Prototype.  If you had a College Kicker you would get some after A School. 

Good luck, it'll be hard work!

actually they did away with the college kicker, effective november 2008. so there's no more credit for having taken college courses. which kinda sucks, because i could've gotten an extra 6k but oh well.

i guess they make up for taking away the college kicker because the enlistment bonus went up, i just depped in on saturday, i leave march 01 (which was the earliest they could get me) and my bonus is 25k. it used to be only 20k.

imthehoopa

« Reply #83 on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:22 »
actually they did away with the college kicker, effective november 2008. so there's no more credit for having taken college courses. which kinda sucks, because i could've gotten an extra 6k but oh well.

i guess they make up for taking away the college kicker because the enlistment bonus went up, i just depped in on saturday, i leave march 01 (which was the earliest they could get me) and my bonus is 25k. it used to be only 20k.

Hmm... I have the 25k enlistment bonus and the 7k college kicker on my contract. I DEPed in October so I just missed that policy change, but I wonder if that means they'll change it when I ship out. If anyone can answer that it would be nice to know. I'm not too worried about it. I leave Monday, so I can just find out then.

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #84 on: Apr 21, 2009, 12:25 »
Hmm... I have the 25k enlistment bonus and the 7k college kicker on my contract. I DEPed in October so I just missed that policy change, but I wonder if that means they'll change it when I ship out. If anyone can answer that it would be nice to know. I'm not too worried about it. I leave Monday, so I can just find out then.

Since you already signed your contract it won't change.  Not unless they hypnotized you and got you to sign another one.  It's good that you're going when it is warmer.  Good luck, and don't have too much fun!
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

GoLonghorns

« Reply #85 on: Apr 21, 2009, 07:46 »
Vagabond is correct.  They won't take away anything already in the contract unless you sign an addendum.  For ya'll trying to change your shipdates, the first thing you want to do is talk to your Rinc and have him/her generate a DAR, DEP Action Request.  DAR's are used to change the status of any DEP member.  This can be rolled up or rolled out ship dates along with informing the command of a change in status.  Once this is filled out and processed by your MEPS, they will most likely call your Rinc and find out your intentions in the way of shipping out and bonus requests.  If they don't, your Rinc can call MEPS and talk to the classifiers, preferably later in the afternoon and not on mission day and find out some info for available dates and associated bonuses.  Once a new ship date is agreed upon, they will fax an addendum to your contract and you will sign that.  All other benefits (Loan Repayment Programs, college bonuses, College Fund) will need to be on the new contract addendum.  Just because it was on the old one does not matter.  The old contract page is null and void once the new one is signed. 

imthehoopa

« Reply #86 on: Apr 21, 2009, 09:06 »
Thanks vagabond and LongHorns. I wasn't too worried about, but I would have been slightly disappointed on Tuesday morning to learn I lost 7k to a policy change. I will be on the lookout for anyone swinging a pocket watch back in forth with one hand and a new contract in the other though.

ringo35

« Reply #87 on: Apr 27, 2009, 02:09 »
Hey all, I am a DEP recruit as of April 20th and my numbers (as far as an enlistment bonus) are a little different than the ones posted. I just thought I would share my experience.  My ship date is Dec. 22 and the bonus in my contract is $23,000.  however I was informed that this number changes depending on the month you ship.  I consider myself lucky for the bonus I am (hopefully) getting. the highest possible bonus is $27,000 while the lowest is $20,000. 

Snoble123

« Reply #88 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:45 »
I will be leaving for RTC on 20100218 (Feb 18, that's just the way they want us to write it these days) and was offered a $25,000 bonus for NF Field. 

My question now is how this is given out?  I have read anything from segmented to lump sum after completion of all schooling...

Can anyone who has been through the pipeline recently offer any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #89 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:32 »
Too bad it's not paid in Euros or Yuan  :P

Got Gold?

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #90 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:48 »
I should have joined the navy like my dad wanted instead of AF, then I too would be have been paid in gum (with stripes).

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #91 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:56 »
well this fact has been discussed at length on several threads and confirmed by numerous individuals(both E and O gangers).  But your buddies are right, it is 99.999999999999999% impossible to have a student fail out as long as they give at least 0.00000000000000000001% effort.   

Wow really?

And on another thread i read that a high overall GPA doesn't mean anything in the end.

Look at it this way, it's the equivalent of a guy showing up at the World Series Champs and saying he once struck out 10 in a junior high baseball game.

So you can't fail, and overachieving is unrewarded.

I'm a DEPer in the Nuke field leaving Feb. 2009; I was under the impression that NUKE school was intense and offered some of the best nuclear training in the world. Now my intention is not to offend anyone on this site (cuz its really great, I'm getting a lot of useful information here) but it seems like mediocrity is the goal for NUKE school?

Are there any incentives to fully apply yourself in school as opposed to just skating by?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #92 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:04 »
Wow really?

And on another thread i read that a high overall GPA doesn't mean anything in the end.

So you can't fail, and overachieving is unrewarded.

I'm a DEPer in the Nuke field leaving Feb. 2009; I was under the impression that NUKE school was intense and offered some of the best nuclear training in the world. Now my intention is not to offend anyone on this site (cuz its really great, I'm getting a lot of useful information here) but it seems like mediocrity is the goal for NUKE school?

Are there any incentives to fully apply yourself in school as opposed to just skating by?

Yes...its called pride in a job well done and knowing you did the best you could possibly do.  If you don't have it, then go ahead and skate away.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #93 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:22 »
Yes...its called pride in a job well done and knowing you did the best you could possibly do.  If you don't have it, then go ahead and skate away.

Is there any way to monetize that pride? I'm a proud man but pride doesn't pay the bills.

Is there really no incentive, besides pride, to fully devote 100% of your time and effort into school?

There must some benefits in placing in the top of your class.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:53 »
You're not going to get a bonus for getting good grades in school.  You're expected to do the best you can...  that's what you signed up for.  If your recruiter told you you'd get more money for grades, he lied.  If you're just now trying to get money for trying harder, you're being silly.

If you're top of your class it will give you some preference as far as your first duty assignment is concerned.  It won't be guaranteed, but some consideration is given to those with the best grades.

You'll always want to try to be your best whether that be in the Navy or on the outside.  If you settle for "good enough", you'll be rewarded respectively.  The financial rewards in the Navy are called promotions...  As a general rule, the better you perform (qualify fast and actually contribute) the better your chances to get promoted are.

Quit worrying about the money.  You haven't even started the whole process yet.  Do the best you can every day (it's harder than it sounds) and you will be recognized...  If you're joining the Nuke program for instant money you joined the wrong program.  Do your time, do your best, qualify everything you can when you can and you'll be fine!
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #95 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:13 »
Absolutely.

After thinking about it, I think you CAN monetize pride. It's definitely a reflection of yourself and although there's no immediate tangible reward I'm sure accomplishments in school don't go unnoticed in the Navy.

Hopefully someone can share an experience where there accomplishments in NUKE school benefited them somehow in life, whether in the Navy or as a civilian.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #96 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:42 »
That all depends on how you define "monetizing pride"...  If you think someone's going to hand you a check for doing well in school or on the ship you're wrong.

The way hard workers are taken care of in the Navy is by recognition.  Do a good job, and you might get an award.  That award counts as points when you go to take the test for advancement.  Do a good job all year, and you're ranked above your peers during evaluations.  The higher the grade on evaluations, the more points it gives you towards advancement.

Grades in school do matter later on....  There are certain assignments that you can't get in your career unless you're in the top half at both power school and prototype.  There are waivers (and they're liberally granted) to allow you to go to those assignments anyway, but the real criteria are top half/top half.

I would recommend you stop worrying about turning things into money and start worrying about making it through the pipeline...  Do what you have to do so you can wake up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror in the morning and not be ashamed.  In the end that's all that really matters.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #97 on: Dec 08, 2009, 12:49 »

50 quatloos against the newcomer

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #98 on: Dec 08, 2009, 12:53 »
Yeah, just trying to see if I could have a Christmas miracle...  It's that time of year and all!

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #99 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:33 »
That all depends on how you define "monetizing pride"

Monetize: Meaning to derive value from. Not necessarily cash.

Obviously the Navy isn't Chuck E. Cheese where you get 4 tokens for an A, 3 tokens for a B and so on.

My question wasn't how much money do i get for good grades. I was trying to figure out, if grades are meaningless, what drives a NUKE to do his best in his classes?
Priority (even though not guaranteed) in choosing assignments would be an example. Early advancement is another good example.

I was also reading about travel waivers on weekends. Are grades taken into consideration when giving these out? If so that would also be an example.

I'm sure there are many benefits to getting good grades. I was hoping someone who did well in NUKE school could share an experience where their work in class benefited them somehow (not necessarily money), because on other posts people say that your accomplishments are completely meaningless. Apparently your grades in NUKE school are "Like getting to the World Series and saying you struck out 10 in a JHS game" (not my words).

So if someone could please share a personal experience where good grades translated into something, anything at all, it would be greatly beneficial to me and the readers.

Thanks.

ohh and

Quit worrying about the money.

I would recommend you stop worrying about turning things into money

Sorry man, thats what i do lol

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #100 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:38 »

50 quatloos? No clue what that means, could you please explain.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #101 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:11 »
100 quatloos against the newcomer who does not know how to use a search function.
50 quatloos? No clue what that means, could you please explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatloo

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #102 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:00 »
Monetizing discussion....

Think of it as a very long term investment and only think about your investment.

My actual dollar per hour pay rate was probably less than 10 bucks an hour because I spent about 80-90 hrs per week studying in power school (40 classroom + 40-50 study hours).  A little less in A school and whatever it took in prototype to get off 12s, so I went as hard and as fast as possible to qualify.

The minimum capacity Sailors got the same bonus as me. The 2 ack-board Sailor got the same bonus as me.

Eventually, the work horse Sailor will rise above and beyond his peer group and in some instances, not all, but some, have a much better life than the skaters.

It may pay off by getting better orders, advancement, A/Power school, TEOOW, SOY/JOY, LPO, CPO, STA, LDO, WO, but eventually, over time, most hard working Sailors get paid if they choose to stay Navy.

I am sure a bevy of replies could follow to dispute this claim, but I would say, more or less, hard work pays off in the Sailors favor more often than naught.

In the junior years, it may mean a better deal on a duty day, a special privilege, something better for you that a dirt bag doesn't get.

You just can't get caught up in counting your beans now in the pipeline, because its not reality, and your job is to get your NEC, period.

I was near the top of all my schools, qualified fast in P-type, qualified 1st in ELT school, and put in more hours than nearly anyone.

It paid off thusly...

Selected for SPU = gravy ELT SPU duty and life on shore
Orders to Kings Bay = gravy Trident ELT duty and half my life on shore
part time shore duty = finished my AA and BA

It all started with busting my ass for good grades.

Samabby

« Reply #103 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:51 »
" 50 quatloos against the newcomer "

I say 200.

Ant, you are seeking angles that often do not exist. As stated erlier ( by a gentleman who well may be your boss IF you get through all of this ) if pride in a job done to the best of your ability doesn't work for you, seek another line of work.

Yes, it really is that simple, son, but thanks for asking.  8)

jowlman

« Reply #104 on: Dec 08, 2009, 12:05 »
The only example that I remember from Nuke School is that if you had a study period the last period of the day, depending on your grades you got early liberty. The opposite was also true, your extra assigned study hours were based on your grades, the lower your grades the higher your mandatory study hours were.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #105 on: Dec 08, 2009, 01:35 »
Well allow me to give you one instance in which taking the slack way wasn't beneficial for someone.  

Once upon a time, on a big gray ship on the ocean, there were 3 MM2s.  One of those MMs was a Work Center Supervisor for one of the Divisions, one was the assistant WCS for another division, and one had an easy job working in the Training Department.  The two WCS MMs busted their arse trying to make sure stuff got done in time to go off and blow up some bad guys.  The other one had it easy every day just writing up training material.  The two WCSs worked a lot of "overtime" writing tag outs, filling out paperwork, and scheduling maintenance.  The one MM left each day, usually before 1500.  

When the test results came back for MM1, guess which two MMs got promoted, and which one didn't.  Guess which two MMs got a nice raise, while the other MM had to be "capped" to MM1 3 full test cycles later.   

Any questions?
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 01:36 by Preciousblue1965 »

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #106 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:40 »

100 quatloos against the newcomer who does not know how to use a search function.

" 50 quatloos against the newcomer "

I say 200.

Whoa Whoa Whoa whats with all the hate. Using Star Trek references to insinuate I'm not going to make it through NUKE school? lmao

Let me explain something, and this will be my last post defending my earlier question, I enlisted in the Navy for two reasons: 1.) Because this is the greatest nation in the world, and it is the greatest honor in the world to have served her. 2.) Because I don't have the means to pay for an education at a university and student loans are not an option for me.

I enlisted in the Nuclear program for two reasons: 1.) Because i was told it is reserved for the best, most intelligent and hardworking enlisted men. 2.) Because it offers the best opportunities in the Navy and once you get out.

My recruiter literally told me and every NUKE in my station that only 80% of NUKE prospects actually make it through NUKE school and that's only because they bust their arse every day for 2 years. This challenge appealed to me greatly, and is the main reason why i decided to go NUKE, because the GI bill is offered to all factions of the Navy.

Now if you read through this forum you will find that several people have confirmed the fact that it is impossible to fail NUKE school. And on other forums NUKE school is compared to a JHS baseball team by veterans of the nuclear program and of the site.

This very much contradicts what my recruiter told me. In fact, it seems the station is straight up lying to us nukes.

Having read that it only takes "0.00000000001% effort" to pass raised a lot of questions and concerns. The one i thought i would ask on this forum, seeing how it's made up of many many veterans of the nuclear program with valuable wisdom, was what makes a NUKE do his best and not just skate by. Without the possibility of failure, it seems like there's a lot of room for dirt bags to enter the nuke program, put in 10-10% effort, and reap the same benefits as others who put it all in.

I understand people are passionate about the Navy's nuke program. I am simply trying to get my facts straight and gather as much info before i leave. The Star Trek insults, as cool as they are funny, are unwarranted and unnecessary. (Btw, 99.9999999999999% graduate, i like those odds. I think there's some Trekers in here that will be out a couple quatloos in the near future lol)

I appreciate the substance based information from Neutron_Herder, Smooth Operator, jowlman, and Preciousblue that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm definitely going to forward this to all my NUKE recruit buddies at the station, it seems we have been gravely misinformed. Hopefully more people will add to this and share their experiences in the coming days.

And i apologize if my original post seemed rude or abrasive, that wasn't my intent

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #107 on: Dec 08, 2009, 05:22 »
Good luck and keep us posted Antwon. Thanks for your service.

As far as "monetizing" pride, I am not sure why people take offense to it. I agree with Antwon that although in a Utopian society, we would like to think people work to better themselves just for personal pride, that simply isn't reality. If it were, there would be no need for the huge bonuses and salaries commercial nukes pay people to go up licenses and to keep them after the fact. There wouldn't be a need for enlistment/reenlistment bonuses or nuke pro pay. These things exist because people do not work purely for pride, and if you claim the money doesn't mean anything, I will throw the BS flag. You work hard for your pride in order to get paid. His questions are legit because we all put a price on our pride, and mine is about to go up.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 05:27 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #108 on: Dec 08, 2009, 05:52 »
The Star Trek insults, as cool as they are funny, are unwarranted and unnecessary. (Btw, 99.9999999999999% graduate, i like those odds.

Thin skin and a lack of humility are two things I wouldn't bring to boot camp. As a experienced poster mention above, get back to us in 3 or 4 years and see how ya like it....

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #109 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:07 »
   200 hundred Quatloos against the newcomer with no sense of humor, poor social skills, and who seems to have missed the whole metaphor of asking a boon from disembodied brains in a strange world.

Not to mention poor comprehension and communication skills. You started your diatribe of a response with statements of facts not in evidence only assumed, then proceeded to defend yourself from those perceived grievances. You are arguing with over a hundred years of experience in commercial and Navy nuclear power with just four (maybe three) of the recent respondents to your post. This could have been a couple of hundred years of experience if some of our other regular site curmudgeons had chimed in ( I'm surprised they didn't smell the blood in the water  :) ).

Lighten up, listen, and grow a thick skin young padawan... I hope you don't have to look up that one  ::) . If you have been through previous posts you would know that the quickest way to draw fire is laziness (not using search functions and your brain) and attitude ( don't expect instant respect from those who had to earn it themselves).

Other than that enjoy Nukeworker and thanks for your service.   ;)

Whoa Whoa Whoa whats with all the hate. Using Star Trek references to insinuate I'm not going to make it through NUKE school? lmao

Let me explain something, and this will be my last post defending my earlier question, I enlisted in the Navy for two reasons: 1.) Because this is the greatest nation in the world, and it is the greatest honor in the world to have served her. 2.) Because I don't have the means to pay for an education at a university and student loans are not an option for me.

I enlisted in the Nuclear program for two reasons: 1.) Because i was told it is reserved for the best, most intelligent and hardworking enlisted men. 2.) Because it offers the best opportunities in the Navy and once you get out.

My recruiter literally told me and every NUKE in my station that only 80% of NUKE prospects actually make it through NUKE school and that's only because they bust their arse every day for 2 years. This challenge appealed to me greatly, and is the main reason why i decided to go NUKE, because the GI bill is offered to all factions of the Navy.

Now if you read through this forum you will find that several people have confirmed the fact that it is impossible to fail NUKE school. And on other forums NUKE school is compared to a JHS baseball team by veterans of the nuclear program and of the site.

This very much contradicts what my recruiter told me. In fact, it seems the station is straight up lying to us nukes.

Having read that it only takes "0.00000000001% effort" to pass raised a lot of questions and concerns. The one i thought i would ask on this forum, seeing how it's made up of many many veterans of the nuclear program with valuable wisdom, was what makes a NUKE do his best and not just skate by. Without the possibility of failure, it seems like there's a lot of room for dirt bags to enter the nuke program, put in 10-10% effort, and reap the same benefits as others who put it all in.

I understand people are passionate about the Navy's nuke program. I am simply trying to get my facts straight and gather as much info before i leave. The Star Trek insults, as cool as they are funny, are unwarranted and unnecessary. (Btw, 99.9999999999999% graduate, i like those odds. I think there's some Trekers in here that will be out a couple quatloos in the near future lol)

I appreciate the substance based information from Neutron_Herder, Smooth Operator, jowlman, and Preciousblue that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm definitely going to forward this to all my NUKE recruit buddies at the station, it seems we have been gravely misinformed. Hopefully more people will add to this and share their experiences in the coming days.

And i apologize if my original post seemed rude or abrasive, that wasn't my intent
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 07:09 by Marlin »

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #110 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:04 »
First,

half the questions you have posited in the last little while are just chum,....

I believe my question is valid and definitely not "chum." I understand it's a question you don't like to hear, but it is absolutely valid.

I mean think about it. Do you know how many scum bags there are in this world? What would make you strive to do the best when you can do the least and end up in the same place?

Second,

The junior high school reference from a different thread concerns the Navy nuclear power program vis a vis commercial power boilers and (to a lesser extent) PWR's, compared to being an SRO at either of these, the NNPP is Nuke 101

I'm not really familiar with all the Navy acronyms and lingo yet so most of this part i don't understand. But the context of the JHS baseball remark was a response to a fathers question about his son's good grades in nuke school and how they translate into military and civilian life. Several people said the grades don't translate into anything, and the context is that good grades in nuke school are worth in the military and elsewhere, what 10 SO's in JHS are worth in the Majors.

By that logic, military and civilian service = the Majors, and nuke school = JHS. There is no other context.

Third,

If you're as bright as you present yourself to be

and are as smart as you present yourself,

[The] smarmy factor,....

Guess what buckwheat? We're all smart people too, we even know people smarter than ourselves that we work with on a daily basis, if you would like to take one persons singular thread about only 1E-10 of all candidates failing out and run with that, more power to ya'.

??? Nowhere on any of my posts did i ever say or imply that i was smarter than anyone else, nor did i imply that anyone was dumb. If anything it's the opposite, I come here as an ignorant DEPer trying to collect as much information and wisdom as I can. Where are you getting this smarmy factor thing from? If you're saying that because i wrote 10-10 instead of .0000000000001, well then i guess i should apologize again. It was not meant to insult anyones intelligence, 10-10 is just a shorter neater easier way to write .00000000000001.

And i didn't just take one persons singular thread and run with it. My comments and questions are based on my different threads in this website and outside information. If you notice on my post there are two or three different examples. So again, i don't know where you're getting that from.

A serious review of the threads would reveal that some folks glide through A school and die in nuke school, some die in prototype, some can't get past boot camp. Yet others are happy as a clam until they hit the fleet and then they start looking for low hanging I-beams to hang themselves from. And every now and then, there's that guy/gal who just manages to adapt and do well in every facet of his/her NNPP experience.

A serious review of the topic of conversation would reveal that this paragraph and basically the entire post is totally irrelevant. The topic is: How valuable is you're performance in nuke school; if there actually is no value, what motivations, incentives, benefits does a nuke have to fully apply himself; any experiences where your achievements in nuke school have benefited you in any way shape or form.

Obviously, since you can't fail, people have different experiences. It's more difficult for the guys that work, and it's easier for those that slack. For example:

Just trying to help the guy out...make friends with the people the run the boat..that's whining? Uh, no that is smart.  How many days did I spend in the TR?  Zero.  The E-6 lead ELT in the torpedo room...that is funny.  Case study in "why not to come to the boat with an attitude".

How many field days did I spend in the ER?  Not many, I was in the sonar shack snoozing with my sonar friends....  then the COB comes by telling how nice the sonar looks.... while the nukes have to work extra because the ER is "not clean enough".  so, I'm in the crews mess eating ice cream while the nukes are doing extra. That is funny.  no hilarious.  I think I called back there to ask them if they wanted me to save them any ice cream.  Just trying to help my nuke buddies.  Case study in "why it pays to make friends with the coners".  (I have to spell everything out here. We have career navy dude that can't figure it out.)

Life is working hard and getting treaded like crapola?  Uh, maybe your life is sweet heart.  Not mine.  If I  get even remotely treating like crap now and it's seaya later (I don't)...I like making my own way (I do).   Case study in "why it is smart to be have marketable skill set" Get paid, get treated well. 

I/we sat in temperature controlled environment eating as much food as we could getting fat and cleaning.  whoopie...now everyone whats to make it look like they were some kinda of "heros'.  the most action I seen was when we cleaned out some bar in the PI. 

That goes without saying. But in America, and in any capitalist society, you reap what you sow and the workers are ultimately rewarded in one way or another. If you have an example of that happening in the Navy or outside, that would be relevant and might be something i would be interested in. All this other stuff about "chumming" and "context" and "smarmy factor," and all the insults (which i'm not too sure what they mean) "buckwheat" and "BF" and w/e, is unnecessary. Nothing in that entire post is beneficial to me or anyone else, frankly it's a waste of your time and my time.

And I'm sorry that your not convinced with my apology. My comments and questions are brutally honest, and again I'm sorry if they offended you. I did not post that for the purpose of offending anyone, i posted that for the purpose of expanding my knowledge of the nuke program. And thankfully people have responded with great information. Hopefully more will too.

Good luck to you just the same, thank you for volunteering to stand the watch,....

Thank you, and thank you your service as well.

I hope at some point you can put your emotions to the side and chime in with some useful information.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #111 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:54 »
 :P

Antwon, just stop.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #112 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:14 »
I like his gumption.  8)

Offline antwon510

• Light User
« Reply #113 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:45 »
lol

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #114 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:08 »
OMG I love you guys. Just when I thought the Navy section was getting boring.  8)

Merry Christmas!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #115 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:36 »
Great discussion (at times  :-\) but I'm wondering how we can tie it to the topic.  ;) 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #116 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:42 »
You are more likely to be working for Gamecock and his ilk within the next three years than "zilla, myself or our ilk in the next six, yet you essentially ignore what will be important to your next most likely supervisor,....

Condensing a lot of fine research...

to Marssim for sea-lawyering above and beyond the call of duty!

On-topic: Poster asked earlier about incentive to strive to do well. Here at http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=41966 we have one answer...

"Perform To Serve (PTS) is a centralized reservation system that helps the Navy manage reenlistments of Sailors with less than six years of service, or Zone A. While most Sailors are permitted to reenlist in their current rate, Sailors in overmanned ratings may be offered reenlistment in an undermanned rating and Sailors with a poor performance history may not be granted permission to reenlist. According to NAVADMIN 017/09 PTS will expand Feb.1 to include Zone B, which is Sailors with six to 10 years of service.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2009, 12:32 by HydroDave63 »

g8r2th

« Reply #117 on: Dec 09, 2009, 12:23 »

I'm glad I happened across this site, it (this thread in particular) is very intriguing.
Not to detract from the heated discussion, but I believe I have an answer for antwon about value in doing good in school. (I may have missed it in a post, so forgive me.) The better your grades are, antwon, the less "study hours" you have to complete. Ask anyone in here who put it UNGODLY hours in the school building and they will surely tell you that life in the pipeline is far easier with a 3.7 than to bust your butt for 80hrs a week trying to maintain a 2.8. I went through school, married with 2 kids. I was happily able to spend my afternoons and weekends with them because I kept my grades around a 3.5. I couldn't imagine what life would have been like if I had to put in an additional 30-40 hrs a week after school hours (people do it, though).
Having said that, though, most of your "reward" for working hard is not always easily realized. As a submarine electrician, hard work doesn't always pay off in early days, awards, or big bonuses. In fact, sometimes we're lucky to get half the reenlistment bonuses that our nuclear counterparts receive. But, I digress . . . Most of the time we work hard simply because it's our job and we're here to do our part to support the ideals that we signed on to defend. Yeah, it sucks a lot when RC division is walking to their cars at 14-1500 and we know we still have a solid 4 hrs (at least) left before we can leave. It sucks even more when those same guys can reenlist for twice as much as we can. But you know what? Life ain't always fair! So suck it the f*** up! Ill tell you something, though. If you cant take a little pride in a hard days work, then you have a long life ahead of you my friend (unless you win the lottery, in which case you're a lucky bastard).
Lastly, if you cant take some constructive criticism and a little ribbing to go along with it, then I'm afraid you've chosen the wrong line of work. In the navy, you're going to be stuck in a 12x12 box (unless you're an MM) with 3 other sarcastic, insensitive, bastards for 6hrs at a time with nothing better to do than devour the weakling in the pack. Now if you show up to your boat with your mouth shut and eyes/ears open (as was mentioned earlier), and a good attitude to boot, you'll find that those 3 sarcastic, insensitive, bastards are probably stand up guys and willing to give you the shirt off their back if you need it. I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say the civilian world isn't too terribly different.
So, do yourself a favor. Lower your fists, listen to whats being said here and take it all with a grain of salt. There's plenty to go around in this forum.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #118 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:59 »
I don't think the Perform to Serve stuff has had much of an impact on the Nukes yet.  Yes, they do have to fill out the paperwork, but since we're undermanned no one has been told no when it comes to reenlistment time.

The only thing I can see possibly putting nukes in a even close to fully manned status is going to be when the Enterprise goes away a few years from now, and I figure we'll find a way to mess that up too.  We'll probably start offering people bonuses to get out early, or retire early...  Kind of like the drawdown in the mid 90's, but we'll give them money instead of just letting them out of their contracts early.

I'm pretty much joking in that last paragraph, but I can see something like that happening.  Hopefully the powers that be actually address the manning issues (and the underlying causes), instead of just throwing money at the problem as they have in the past.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #119 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:49 »
it may be devolving back to a filter

interesting choice of word.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #120 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:07 »
Maybe instead of devolving....

Delavalving?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #121 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:13 »
I like the new guy.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #122 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:31 »
We'll send him to YOUR crew to get signoffs then!  ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #123 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:07 »
I meant this guy...

g8r2th. :)

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #124 on: Dec 10, 2009, 04:21 »
I will be leaving for RTC on 20100218 (Feb 18, that's just the way they want us to write it these days) and was offered a $25,000 bonus for NF Field.  

My question now is how this is given out?  I have read anything from segmented to lump sum after completion of all schooling...

Can anyone who has been through the pipeline recently offer any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Seriously dude? What does it matter? I mean, you get it when you get it.  You will still be a nub squidling, with a lot of work ahead of you. Just go out and do your damned duty. Your first point of duty is to get through school. If you are enlisting just for the cash, dude... hate to tell you, but you are going about it in the WRONG way. You can earn more money on the outside working less hours. Sheesh.

oh, and
"The civilian world is full of ex-Navy nukes who refuse to touch anything nuclear once they get out."

Count me amonst those who refuse to do anything Nuclear... I am through with it. Finito... I much prefer what I am doing now, which is working in Aerospace. Of course, I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't been a Nuke.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2009, 04:53 by playswithairplanes »
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #125 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:08 »
Seriously dude? What does it matter? I mean, you get it when you get it.  You will still be a nub squidling, with a lot of work ahead of you. Just go out and do your damned duty. Your first point of duty is to get through school. If you are enlisting just for the cash, dude... hate to tell you, but you are going about it in the WRONG way. You can earn more money on the outside working less hours. Sheesh.

oh, and
"The civilian world is full of ex-Navy nukes who refuse to touch anything nuclear once they get out."

Count me amonst those who refuse to do anything Nuclear... I am through with it. Finito... I much prefer what I am doing now, which is working in Aerospace. Of course, I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't been a Nuke.

I thought about this for a minute when my recruiter mentioned my enlistment bonus...I don't think I would be really worried about when I got my bonus, considering I won't have any use for it when I'm on a sub/carrier. Can't really do much with it other than bank it. But throwing it into some type of investment AND managing it, that would be a bit harder to do on a ship... So yeah, bonus is great but it wasn't the 'kick' that got me to join the Nuclear Navy.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #126 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:22 »
I thought about this for a minute when my recruiter mentioned my enlistment bonus...I don't think I would be really worried about when I got my bonus, considering I won't have any use for it when I'm on a sub/carrier. Can't really do much with it other than bank it. But throwing it into some type of investment AND managing it, that would be a bit harder to do on a ship... So yeah, bonus is great but it wasn't the 'kick' that got me to join the Nuclear Navy.

Cool, as long as you are clear eyed about it. You are right about the not being able to manage your money while at sea. Best bet is a good no-load mutual fund, at least until you can have more routine access to the web to make trades. Another alternative is real estate, especially if it's something you plan on holding for a rather long period of time. I knew a few guys who did that. One of my buddies at Prototype used his bonuses to buy up properties in Pocatello and Idaho Falls. He then rented them out to squids. Of course, can't do that now this was back in the 80s. 
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline Dangerouss451

• Very Lite User
« Reply #127 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:26 »
Hey everyone, (first post)

Sorry about reverting to the original subject of this thread, but I had just received a call from my RIC and my enlistment bonus has now gone up from 21,000 to 25,000 shipping in March.

I plan on using my enlistment bonus to either invest in the stock market or invest in real estate in the Philippines. What do you seasoned veterans think of this?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #128 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:18 »
I plan on using my enlistment bonus to either invest in the stock market or invest in real estate in the Philippines. What do you seasoned veterans think of this?

In 1986, those both would have been great moves. Now, not so much. Real estate only makes sense if you will live in it, or it produces income. How would your PI real estate generate income? The fleet makes a lot fewer pit stops there now than in the past, if you are thinking of selling vice for profit.

Right now, investments making good money are high-dividend stocks, certain hard currencies and commodities. The real estate bubble still has more foam to shed, witness the Freddie/Fannie bailouts, Dubai Burj bankruptcy, etc. Over the past two years, canned chunk light tuna has held its value better than the US Dollar Index.

Disclosure: This is personal opinion only, and should not be construed as investment advice.

Offline Dangerouss451

• Very Lite User
« Reply #129 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:38 »
I think you guys are missing something here in regards to the enlistment bonus.  They say you'll get 25k - awesome, a good chunk of change.  However, did they mention that it'll be broken down into 3 payments (could be 2, it's been a while), each of those being taxed.  What this means is you'll most likely NOT get a single payment above 10k.  What real estate is there to invest in with that?  During the first 2 years of your career, you'll be drawing E3/4 pay, which sucks.  Especially if you're not married (no BAH), your funds will be tight.  It's great to have all these plans of what to do with that huge bonus, but consider that they're smaller bonuses, think about your needs (a car, laptop, maybe furniture for that apartment while at NPTU), and you'll probably be left with very little.  Definitely not enough to invest in real estate.  And in the Philippines?  Have you seen what floods and tsunamis have done to that place recently?  If you want to take a chance, hop into an "emerging markets" mutual fund - they've done amazingly well the last ten years, but took it as bad as any during the recent financial crisis.  

As far as managing your money goes while attached to a ship or on deployment...  Obviously if you're on a sub at sea, it's zero.  But if you're on a carrier, you'll be able to manage that money as often as you feel the need to (read: as important as you make it).  I had regular access to a computer and checked google finance daily, so therefore was able to stay on top of the markets.  My advice to you - sign up for the TSP right away and start contributing 10-20% of base pay.  I just got out after 6 years and have 20k in that alone.  That is only half the money I saved while in - I never reenlisted and spent all of that original enlistment bonus while still in Charleston (like most do).  

Hello everyone,

I understand that the sign on bonus will be taxed and I may only come out with 15k, if that. As for a car, laptop, furniture, I come from a fairly well to-do family and I was able to buy a car and laptop when I worked at my local Costco Wholesale (still love that place) =]

One question I do have for living arrangements during NPTU schooling; Are we allowed to have roommates to cut down on rent/utilities, or must I live by myself.

And about the Philippines flooding and all... you can't believe that the whole island floods at any particular time like half of Americans do. Up in the mountains and highlands, 15,000 dollars can buy you around 100 acres of prime forest if not more. We had recently (5-7 years ago) built a house in Pangasinan province (300 miles north of Manila) for $5000, a modest 1,400 sq. ft. home. I don't think times have changed very much over there.

I have signed up for submarine duty and I'm aware that I will not be able to manage my funds myself, but my father is some kind of investing genius. (Idk how he does it) I might just let him handle it for a while until I get my DD or HD  ;)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #130 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:30 »
My advice to you - sign up for the TSP right away and start contributing 10-20% of base pay.  

Do not do this unless you don't have any other place to put it.  Money in TSP is not money that you can get to easily.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #131 on: Jan 04, 2010, 02:04 »

GC, my comments were directed towards the guys getting into the navy, assuming they probably have no investing history or retirement setup....

1.  No one should ever take the advice of someone from a forum as their only means of information.

2.  The difficulty in retrieving funds from TSP is a good thing for most 18-20 year olds.  Is there a penalty and is it painful?  Of course.  But it's for retirement, not running out to by that newly discounted Pontiac.  

3.  The TSP allows you to quickly and somewhat easily (if you know your login and password...) move funds without incurring fees.  Doing this with more conventional retirement accounts is hardly free, or at the very minimum, there are fees built into the cost of their funds, which are magnitudes higher than the TSP's.  

4.  There are few options with TSP, however, to a young man just getting into the business of planning for his retirement, this may be a good thing, reducing the opportunities to put all of that money into a bad decision.  

5.  The vast majority of guys that I worked with, whom tracked their TSP accounts, also had other forms of investments or retirement accounts.  The guys who didn't track their TSP, well they had no clue how much money they had in there, but for the most part they didn't have another form of retirement investment either.  And finally, I ran into very few (read: can't remember a single junior guy), who had a retirement account that hadn't used the TSP as well.  

From my experience, if a guy (junior enlisted) isn't using TSP, he's probably not investing in his retirement, or at least the chances are very low.  I'm sure there are better arguments for or against, I just hope you understand my logic.  :)    Of course there are exceptions to every rule...

I'd concur with Mell, and add point 5.5: Saving large amounts of pre-tax income in TSP reduces your taxable income by your marginal rate. Example...if you are in the 28% bracket and stuff 20% of your pre-tax wage in TSP, that is (.20)(.28) for 5.6% of your income not taxed away. You are giving yourself a pay raise every month!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #132 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:52 »
I'd concur with Mell, and add point 5.5: Saving large amounts of pre-tax income in TSP reduces your taxable income by your marginal rate. Example...if you are in the 28% bracket and stuff 20% of your pre-tax wage in TSP, that is (.20)(.28) for 5.6% of your income not taxed away. You are giving yourself a pay raise every month!

I do not disagree on the merits of TSP.  However, I still contend that while putting 10-20% of your income in something that for the most part you can't touch until you retire is a bad idea.  Guy does 6 and out...needs some money to help supplement his GI Bill so he can go to a private college...he's not getting his TSP.

Guy gets married and needs some money for a house..he can get his TSP if he jumps through hoops and pays it back with penalties, thus eliminating the tax advantage he got to begin with.

If Mell had said put 5% of you base pay in there I would have agreed, but 10-20% is to much.   I just think there are so many intangible items that a young person will need money for in the future that precludes not having ready access to his hard earned money.

Just my .02.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 07:54 by Gamecock »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #133 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:47 »
Link to the Uniformed Services side of TSP

http://www.tsp.gov/uniserv/features/chapter11.html

The loan conditions are the same as civilians, 1 residence loan and 1 general purpose loan out at a time maximum.

Also, interest paid on the loan goes back to your TSP account. I know some civil service guys that regularly use TSP loans as a cash flow mechanism to pay off higher-interest credit cards etc.

Having said that, it requires the personal discipline to not piss the money away, AND if the loan isn't repaid by EAOS you have to repay in full or you will be in default and get hit with the taxable distribution tax and penalty on the whole shooting match.

Therefore, since the vast majority of Americans (including us squids)  have a negative savings rate and no financial discipline, Gamecock's advice is the safer course of action.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 08:49 by HydroDave63 »

shocker

« Reply #134 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:06 »
Just to update a little back on topic I just recieved a signing bonus of 21,000 for Oct-2010.  My recruiter was real close to the mark, the laison at MEPS however got me real excited with a 45,000 quote - Don't get your hopes up too soon! I had alread started spending my 45 lol.

Offline Dangerouss451

• Very Lite User
« Reply #135 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:13 »
Just to update a little back on topic I just recieved a signing bonus of 21,000 for Oct-2010.  My recruiter was real close to the mark, the laison at MEPS however got me real excited with a 45,000 quote - Don't get your hopes up too soon! I had alread started spending my 45 lol.

Hm, I was at 21,000 for sept. 2010, but my contract changed to 25,000 for shipping on may 18th (phew, 3 days after my last day of the semester)

How can you start spending it if the bonus comes in 3 7-10k payments after you finish your training??

mikemike06

« Reply #136 on: Jan 22, 2010, 01:32 »
Hm, I was at 21,000 for sept. 2010, but my contract changed to 25,000 for shipping on may 18th (phew, 3 days after my last day of the semester)

How can you start spending it if the bonus comes in 3 7-10k payments after you finish your training??

I signed up back in August for 21,000 and am set to leave in June. Does the bonus only go up if your contract changes and you leave earlier or does that change for everybody?

Oh yeah and I've read the other posts about not worrying about money and all that, but I've also been told by military service members to get all you can, while you can...

crewjobs

« Reply #137 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:31 »
Congratulations to everyone who got the big money while it lasted (the past three years).

As of 08 Feburary 2010 the enlistment bonus for NF has been reduced from $25,000 down to $15,000 year round.

It seems that the Navy College Fund bonus has also been discontinued.

11. EFFECTIVE 08 FEB 2010, ACTIVE DUTY RECRUITS ENTERING THE DEP AND SCHEDULED TO SHIP IN FY10 ARE ELIGIBLE FOR EBSR IN THESE FY10 SHIP MONTHS: (NO PROGRAMS-RATINGS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR NCF)
RATING SHIP MONTHS EBSR
IT-SG JANUARY-JUNE $10,000
12. THE FOLLOWING USN PROGRAM IS ELIGIBLE FOR EBSR IN THESE SHIP MONTHS:
RATING SHIP MONTHS EBSR
NF OCTOBER - SEPTEMBER: $15,000

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/EIncentives/N5311%20EB/EB/Released%20EB%20Messages/FY10/EB_GENADMIN_EFF08FEB2010.pdf

Offline Fast Neutron

• Light User
« Reply #138 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:24 »
Unimpressive in my view.  I suppose it's just supply and demand.  NF sailors have to serve six years, its not like those "two years of training" are necessarily fun.  The justification for the enlistment bonus in said document seems to be that this is an incentive not just to get people with the right skills and aptitudes but to better compensate for the extended contract.  Presumably, the EBs did this.  That said, the Navy might be better served with people to whom the money mattered less at the controls.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #139 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:19 »
Any monies you may not get as compared to someone else who joined earlier or later is immaterial as compared to what you will make over an enlisted career.

And if you parlay your nuke training into a commericial job, a few double days will take care of those small disparities in navy bonus monies.

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
« Reply #140 on: Feb 21, 2010, 03:18 »
Roth IRA - best tool ever for a young person starting out. And if you do it right you can get into a fund group that has ridiculously low expenses and does NOT charge for switching between funds.

neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

shocker

« Reply #141 on: Feb 22, 2010, 03:46 »
To reply to how I could spend the money before I got it - I was planning it's use in my head... Going through credit card debt, student loans, and a few year old new car before thinking what I'd get with the rest :-P

That being said a guy I went to MEPS with was going to go NF as well, but after they made him go back three times (side note: the requirement for of-age recruits to go to alcohol abuse counselling and obtain a waiver if they consume more than 3-5 drinks a month is a bit extreme imo) ended up going Advanced Electronics and is shipping in April.  The 6 month difference in ship dates and the fact that I was eligible for E-3 going in regardless of my field made me reconsider how lucrative the paltry 14,000 after-tax really was...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?