Plum Brook

Above Average
3 (10.3%)
Average
14 (48.3%)
Below Average
12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Plum Brook  (Read 121873 times)

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Plum Brook
« on: Aug 09, 2003, 04:27 »
Rate Plum Brook

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Plum Brook
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2003, 12:44 »
Talk about: Plum Brook.

So, What did NASA use this reactor for anyway?
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2004, 03:06 by Rennhack »

vikingfan

Re: Talk about: Plum Brook
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2003, 08:45 »
Mike,

there are 2 reactors here at plumbrook a 60 megawatt test reactor and a 100 kilowatt mock up reactor. they were used primarily for testing the effects of radiation on materials used in space flight. the reactors operated from about 1961-1973.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2003, 07:38 »
Cool.

Jr8black3

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2003, 09:46 »
Plum Brook Reactor Facility Decommissioning
Plum Brook Station Sandusky, Ohio

Decommissioning Update

NASA is pleased to announce that reactor internals removal and reactor tank segmentation operations have begun as scheduled.  During the week of August 4, a crew from Wachs Technical Services, the segmentation subcontractor, safely and successfully removed from the reactor vessel all three components known as Horizontal Beam Tubes.  These three beam tubes contain a significant portion of all the radioactive material within the Reactor Facility and their removal will mean less radiation exposure for workers as segmentation continues.

On August 5, a specialized container, a Type A cask, was delivered to Plum Brook Station.  This cask will be used for the storage of steel liners containing cut pieces of the reactor internals and tank, and will later be sealed for shipment to a licensed disposal facility.

A Wachs crew has also completed mock-up training on the mock-up reactor (MUR), which formerly operated along with the main test reactor, acting as a simulator for reactor experiments.  The MUR is a smaller, physical replica of the main test reactor and contains extremely low levels of radiation.  This has enabled workers to gain valuable experience in virtually a non-radiation environment before beginning actual segmentation work and helps workers increase their proficiency, which will ultimately cut down on the amount of time – and thus exposure – during actual segmentation activities. A substantial portion of the MUR was disassembled during the mock-up training and the remainder of the MUR will be disassembled at a later point in time.

In addition, a work crew has completed the removal of loose equipment from the Hot Lab area of the Reactor Facility and continues to remove loose equipment from the Fan House and the Waste Handling Building.  Another crew is continuing with asbestos removal from two other Reactor Facility structures – the Compressor Building and the Service Equipment Building.

Apart from decommissioning the Reactor Facility, Plum Brook Station remains an active NASA test facility.  Occasionally, trucks with large pieces of equipment and/or empty containers, associated with NASA’s ongoing testing activities, may enter and leave the site.

Although NOT associated with NASA or the Decommissioning Project, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is continuing work on the cleanup of the former Plum Brook Ordnance Works site.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2003, 07:26 »
The removal of the HB Tubes did not accomplish the dose reduction as expected.  Reactor segmentation activities are continuing as scheduled with a revised dose estimate.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2003, 09:41 »
Reactor segmentation activities are continuing as scheduled with a revised dose estimate.

When all else fails, manipulate the data.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline Nuclear_Dog

• First Line Greeter...have a nice day
  • Moderate User
  • Operators Rock...we get the whole plant a shaken!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2003, 06:52 »

When all else fails, manipulate the data.

Don't the engineer types call it reanalyzing?   ;)
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
Major Sidney Theodore Freedman

radwst

Re: Plum Brook
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:31 »
last i heard about the mighty plumbrook was people were going to get the boot around march.  i also heard someone, an old battelle hp got fired for sleeping on the job when he should of been covering a job.  is this the latest or is this false?

cobrakid

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2004, 09:22 »
No tech was fired for sleeping; however two techs were fired for not collecting a low-vol.

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2004, 10:33 »
The techs were fired as a "message" that procedures and policies will be followed.  They did not follow a RWP requirement.
As far as everyone getting the boot in March, that's pure rumor.  Hours may be reduced as a budget saving thing, but there is still quite a bit to be done here.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

TCDAVE

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 07:29 »
Biggest problem is lack of leadership. Good $ and a 5-10's schedule. All-in-all OK.

duke99301

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 12:51 »
humm
I have to start there on monday! can some one tell me where to rent a place at?
or is there a camp ground near by?
thanks

cobrakid

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2004, 12:18 »
Reactor segmentation almost finished; work is speeding up and talk about the project is a common topic.

duke99301

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2004, 03:44 »
this place is great I should have gotten to this place a long time ago.

Lucky13

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2005, 07:41 »
 I hear alot about the brook. what is really going on ?
 I hear alot of people leaving ?
 Shouldnt it be winding down ?

Jr8black3

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:05 »
 Cobrakid posted on July 15th, reactor segemantation was almost complete. It's now January 28th, and it's getting very close. Still lots of work to be done at Plum Brook.

It's not a bad job, but also not a great job, it's just a job. ( the roadtechs know what I'am talking about. )

Lucky13

« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:08 »
How long is the project slated for?

Lucky13

« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2005, 05:05 »
What Just Happened ? ???

vikingfan

« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2005, 03:03 »
big layoff was today ! due to some budget problems there was a layoff of about 60 techs between mota and bartlett.

Lucky13

« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2005, 03:22 »
Whats Mota ?

hpworker

« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2005, 04:43 »
More than 70 people got the boot today with more expected by April. Not sure what will happen to the remaining 60-some workers left (this # does not include management, they were the only ones not cut). This place has gone down hill fast in the few short weeks I've been involved with the place and does not look to be getting any better any time soon.

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2005, 04:49 »
Not a fun day at the "Brook".  Things are pretty quiet here now.  I sincerely hope things work out well for those that went DFR today.   :(

jjordan

« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2005, 08:54 »
Housepuke,
I'm sure things will work out OK for them! 8) It's the beginning of peak outage season. We've got room for a few at Brunswick! We have warm weather and Ice Cream How come you won't come down?
JJ
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2005, 08:55 by JJordan »

vikingfan

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2005, 09:26 »
since i was DFR'd today i have confirmed for brunswick, been 14 years since i was at brunswick after the infamous incident of 91 ! where they cut into a startup source. hope things have not changes too much since then. but know some of the other d&d techs and hp's have already secured employment.

JJ

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?