Plum Brook

Above Average
3 (10.3%)
Average
14 (48.3%)
Below Average
12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Plum Brook  (Read 121883 times)

bilbok

Re: Plum Brook
« Reply #75 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:14 »
I worked at Plum Brook for a few years and I just want to say that whatever accusations were made about the Mota H&S person being incompetant are completely false.  Mota has the best H&S guru I've ever worked with.  His primary concern is worker safety and anyone to question his ability, technical experience and knowledge is sorely mistaken.

TinMan

« Reply #76 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:17 »
Well said bilbok!!!!! Could not have said it better myself.

Sandralike

« Reply #77 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:12 »
No doubt...Mota's H&S Supervisor is top notch and everyone on that site knows his top priority is worker safety.  NASA contracted directly with Mota because they know Mota knows what they're doing and they have the right people, experience and ability to get the work done.  Anyone having an issue obviously didn't make an effort to talk with the project manager because he's shown a geniuine dedication to all his employees.

randomuser

« Reply #78 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:30 »
I agree with Sandralike.  It really is hard to believe that a normally happy work environment can be shaken by a couple of extremely pessimistic RP techs.  It was nice to see all of my coworkers happy and chipper again after all of the events transpired.  MOTA is a great company and Plum Brook is a great site.

duke99301

« Reply #79 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:38 »
I was there  for a while and I did have the pleasure of working with the Mota people. as will as some of the decon techs they had. As will as some of the barlett techs I have not seen in years.
it is sad to see how things have progressed.
 Even though most of us want to move up in our jobs. or on to a better job .  All I can say is if you want to move on work at and Knock on the door untill it opens.
 most of us work  at temp jobs anyways and we are just trying to make ends meet.
good luck and if Harry is still there have him sign the DVD of the site he is a star! go Yankees,
oh Seahawks by 4!
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2006, 10:22 by duke99301 »

halflifer

« Reply #80 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:48 »
In staying w/ Mike's guidance, I would just like to say a word to some of the MOTA D&D Techs who have replied to this. HD is NOT an HP Tech who covered Hot Lab work while I was there. If you wish to discuss this further, please PM me. Otherwise, good luck, and Healthy Work.

RadX

« Reply #81 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:57 »
WOW!!! What a place.

How are things now?

randomuser

« Reply #82 on: Feb 21, 2006, 05:32 »
Everything at the site is going well.  Everyone is getting along great.  It really is an excellant site to work.

TinMan

« Reply #83 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:09 »
From talking to many people currently employeed there it does sound like that is the place to be. It seems that all the bugs have been worked out and it is running smooth. Glad to hear that companies such as MOTA has joined with NASA to make it work. Would love to go back if the opportunity would present itself. Good luck to all currently their and hope to see you all someday.

scooter2

« Reply #84 on: Apr 08, 2006, 05:10 »
What happened at the brook on Fri. ??? Hera a few people got sent home--couldn't get their time sheet right? Is this true?

RadX

« Reply #85 on: Aug 23, 2006, 08:12 »
it sounds like MOTA was being typical MOTA.
 I wonder when NASA will figure out that the management there for MOTA does not have a clue and uses beer and intemidation with the homies to get it done.... what ever it takes(get it done).
bring back the same company you get the same problems. GEEE it sounds like MWH was not the only problem after all.

hope everyone is safe.....watch your back.

vikingfan

« Reply #86 on: Aug 23, 2006, 09:25 »
 hmmm beer and intimiadation ?? Here i thought that was the ground work of nuclear power....LOL as far as using locals i would assume there is a underlining reason for that. either way i spent 2 years there, some days were really good, then there were some really bad ones just have to take it all in stride.

scooter2

« Reply #87 on: Aug 23, 2006, 10:58 »
What I can't seem to understand, is with all of the scientist & technical experts that NASA has, They can't figure out that E x E = disaster!

Halcyon Daze

« Reply #88 on: Aug 24, 2006, 09:42 »
  as far as using locals i would assume there is a underlining reason for that.
they work cheap and they'll do or say ANYTHING to keep their jobs

RadX

« Reply #89 on: Aug 24, 2006, 12:22 »
you could say that again......

Hiring locals is one thing VF but the locals they got there really take the cake.
Should we talk about the "lead" that paid the crew money for taking out a certain amount of pipe in a weeks time so he could "look good'?  or the kid who got fired for getting hurt? or the stupidvisor that didn't get fired for the rigging mishap but all others involved who did.
That is just to name a few....we could go on and on for days.

Some of the locals they have really try to do the best they can but then like HD just said they would say or do ANYTHING to keep jobs.

Halcyon Daze

« Reply #90 on: Aug 24, 2006, 01:06 »
...or the "lead" that violates just about every Rad and safety procedure in the book and the people who get fired and laid off for taking issue with it...or the "NASA" people (non of whom work for NASA) who say everything is fine

randomuser

« Reply #91 on: Aug 24, 2006, 06:24 »
All this talk about the locals is ridiculous.  You talk like the locals are bunch of hillbillys who have no skills.  I have been at plum brook for a very long time and I have pretty much seen everything.  The biggest joke on site were all of the road techs who supposedly had all this experience, but couldn't do such simple tasks as operate torches, plasmas, sawzalls, band saws, or could they operate heavy equipment.  These people were making more money than the locals and they were absolutely worthless.  About the supervisor who bought his crew lunch for cutting out so much pipe, so what.  The supervisor got his crew motivated, and they also got the job done safely.  If you people are so miserable at Plum Brook, quit.  I am pretty sure the job will go on without you.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #92 on: Aug 25, 2006, 07:32 »
OK Folks,

Enough with the harsh trash talk. Please do not resort to calling anyone names. Let's all keep it professional here ok.

If you want to jab each other do it via a PM. If not I'll just delete offensive postings in the future. Please don't make me do that  ;D

your friendly neighborhood moderator
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Halcyon Daze

« Reply #93 on: Aug 25, 2006, 08:43 »
If a supervisor wishes to use his (or her) own funds to motivate, or in this case "Mota"vate the crew, there's nothing wrong with that, but NOBODY should compromise the health, safety or radiological integrity of a job in the interest of productivity......and I sure don't mean to imply that PB is the only place that goes on, it's just the place I've seen it at its most blatant with the most obvious endorsement by upper management.
As for the local workers, I find them to be no more or less skilled than those in other places, but they are the most scared for their jobs. PB is operating on a wing and a prayer and they know that Argonne (not to be confused with NASA) and NASA could pull the plug at any time.

alphadude

« Reply #94 on: Aug 25, 2006, 09:22 »
Whats with these drama queens? 

vikingfan

« Reply #95 on: Aug 25, 2006, 09:27 »
 *ding* *ding* anyone have some spare boxing gloves i can pass out? anyhow i think we need to be civil here.

halflifer

« Reply #96 on: Aug 25, 2006, 01:24 »
...and I thought I was the root of all evil at PB...

Duck Commander

« Reply #97 on: Aug 25, 2006, 10:11 »
Rad X needs to get there facts straight all the hillbillys got layed off a long time ago.By the way u gettin aerosmith this year or not?

illegalsmile

« Reply #98 on: Aug 25, 2006, 10:19 »
if anybody has any allegations of Health and Safety issues at Plum Brook, I suggest they call NASA's (this is the REAL NASA, not a contractor to NASA) Safety and Facility Assurance Branch at 757-864-8664.

duke99301

« Reply #99 on: Aug 26, 2006, 02:55 »
Let me say this about that! If harry is in charge there is no fooling around around it is done by the book. I know there safety man and he would not let someone break any safety rules to perform a task.
I have seen some poor and shoddy work at that place at one time or another but as will we seen some very good work.
there agin there are those on site who would try to use the book to slow work down so they would not have to deal with it . But as I say you will see that at every site. Plum Brook got what they paid for . and they will do the best with what they have.
as to someone getting fired for gettting hurt maybe we do not know all the facts . there are reasons to let someone go when they get injured. many factors can come to play with that. Unless you are in managment you will not know why the person in subject was let go !all you can do is geuss. and as for the Rad Pro. Manager I worked with him as will and he is a very good man to be in charge.
good luck to all! and one thing if you do not like working some where call 1-800 per diem!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?