Duane Arnold

Above Average
20 (66.7%)
Average
5 (16.7%)
Below Average
5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Duane Arnold  (Read 79248 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Duane Arnold
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:44 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Duane Arnold
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:25 »
Talk About: Duane Arnold

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Duane Arnold Contracts
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2002, 05:32 »
Please reply to this topic if you have (or know who has) a contract at this facility.  If you (they) have multiple contracts (i.e. QC & NDE) please mention all of them.  Also, please remember to post company contact information, including but not limited to company phone number, email and web site address.  Also, if there is a specific person at the company people should ask for, you should mention their name and extension. We maintain a chart of contracts, the information posted here will be added to the contract chart.

This includes any information on Local Unions!
Chart: http://www.nukeworker.com/jobs/contract_lists/

kpayne

Re: Talk About: Duane Arnold
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2003, 02:34 »
I see the nuclear plant from my house across a corn field. There isn't any smoke (steam?) coming from the site today.  How come?  

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2003, 05:16 »
I don't know why they're shut down but the NRC site shows them at 0% power. http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/reactor-status/ps.html
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

jjordan

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2003, 05:26 »
One of the best run facilities I've ever had the pleasure of working! Big disadvantage of being a house tech, never getting to return to some of the sites that you enjoyed! :'(
JJ

OriginalRemball

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2003, 10:58 »
One of the best Boilers you could ever work at.  House people always treated me great and you can eat some of the best steaks ever in the area.

ExposedOne

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2003, 08:00 »
This place is stuck in the 80's.  Yes the house folks are great but the nuclear workers virtually tell the RP's what they are wearing and for how long.  The utility has lost any control they have over the union workers

Shrekster

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2003, 03:03 »
RPM not technically savvy and run by NMC--- big negative.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2003, 11:18 »
Liked the people and the area, BUT they were WAY understaffed last outage...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

ratpack

Re: Duane Arnold
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2004, 02:05 »
Voluntary seperation packages have been handed out for the second time in 15 months.  These have mainly targeted the bargining unit.  Duane Arnold is not the only NMC site that will have to deal with this problem.  Just a word of warning if looking to work for NMC run site.  If number is not reached they will follow the terms of the contract (you can figure that out).

allforthenukie

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2005, 11:55 »
What's happening at Duane Arnold? Been hearing rumors this morning. So what's the real deal over there?

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 06:15 »
I heard that some articles were found inside one of the systems. The word sabotage was mentioned and the NPS, maintenance Contractor, was run off site.

Can anyone confirm?

???

kwicslvr

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 03:43 »
Any word on the sale of the plant?

Cathy

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 04:47 »
Just left there and I think that it is still up in the air. No one I talked to there seemed to know more than they were being sold. I do believe that most will be happy to part ways with NMC.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2005, 08:14 »
From the NRC website:

Headquarters Daily Report
REGION III

REGION III
Duane Arnold Energy Center Purchase by Florida Power & Light (FPL) Group
Licensee/Facility:

NUCLEAR MANAGEMENT CO., LLC
Duane Arnold
PALO, Iowa
Dockets: 05000331
[1] GE-4
License No:  Notification:

MR Number: 3-2005-0014
Date: 07/04/2005

Licensee informed Res.Ins 

Discussion:
The Florida Power & Light (FPL) Group will publicly announce an agreement for FPL Energy, the FPL Group's wholesale energy generating subsidiary, to purchase Alliant Energy's 70 percent majority interest in the Duane Arnold Energy Center. Additionally the FPL Group will retain all non-bargaining unit employees at Duane Arnold with comparable wages and benefit for 18 months following the close of the sale, and honor all labor agreements for the bargaining unit employees. The closure of the sale is expected to occur in early 2006.

Regional Action: Information Only.
Accession Numbers:
Accession No Accession Date
ML051860173 07/05/2005

Contacts:
Name Office Abbrev Phone No E-Mail
BAKER, RANDAL D R3 (319) 851-5111 RDB@nrc.gov

sofar

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2005, 11:12 »
I heard from an insider that when the announcement was made everyone clapped and cheered. I'd say they're definately glad to be getting out of the NMC  :)

Offline dawnlee

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:40 »
I live right by the plant..I heard during the outage that alot of those working were fired and they had to rehire to finish .  Not sure how true that is, I heard it at the local tavern( Brogans)

Cathy

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2005, 04:58 »
They walked the pipefitters offsite. They brought in WSI to finish the outage. I heard lots of rumors as to why, so I am not sure what the reason really was.

hubronis

« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2006, 01:23 »
I am an ex Navy nuc in iowa trying to get my foot in the door.  I am 17 creds away from BS in Nuc Tech and Iwork as a project manager now.  Any suggestions other than NMC site?  I know it is hard to get your foot in the door, but I am qualified and like the nuke work. 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2006, 08:20 »
All the bars were downtown Cedar Rapids. Consequently more DUIs per capita than anywhere in the country in 1985.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:25 »
A good place to work. Lots of things to do in Cedar Rapids.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline arizonie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2006, 03:38 »
i was at daec last outage.(last under nmc ownership)

very small hp staff but great house techs and supervisors .(you will keep busy)

john ,clark and denny supported the roadtechs and did things right.

fpl group now owns daec , i don't know how this will effect things.

clean / not too expensive lodging nearby.

payrates at or above avg.

i will consider returning if pay is right.

"JUST WIN BABY"

58er

1st Outage (Duane Arnold)
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:33 »
I may have the chance to work the Duane Arnold outage in February.  From the what I was told by the local union hall, they would be sending guys out starting 15 January.  I have a pretty good idea the criterias that need to be met as far as security and I do not foresee that to be an issue for me personally.  I just wonder how long the union workers are there for? Until the outage work is complete? 30 days?  Do I need to make arangements now for a place to stay? I was also told they would be working 6'10s in the beginning and up to 7'12 once the outage work begins.  Any info would be great
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2006, 03:47 by Roll Tide »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: 1st Outage (Duane Arnold)
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:50 »
Welcome to Nukeworker!

I have worked for the parent company, but not for that site. The schedule varies quite a bit by trade. What's yours?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?