Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Qual Path honeypot

Author Topic: Qual Path  (Read 47594 times)

parker3693

Qual Path
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:49 »
Hope this is the right spot for this question.

I am pondering taking a job in a commercial plant, as an AO trainee.  I am curious as to what the qual path is between AO trainee and SRO: i.e., how many "watchstations" are there as you work your way up, and what are they?  Also, as you qualify each subordinate watchstation, does the pay change, or only when you get your license?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

MM1

M1Ark

Re: Qual Path
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:46 »
Hope this is the right spot for this question.

I am pondering taking a job in a commercial plant, as an AO trainee.  I am curious as to what the qual path is between AO trainee and SRO: i.e., how many "watchstations" are there as you work your way up, and what are they?  Also, as you qualify each subordinate watchstation, does the pay change, or only when you get your license?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

MM1

MM1,

You should take the job.  You won't be sorry.  You will find that the rewards for your labor will be great and the possibilities for promotion are only limited by you.  You will be a much better SRO down the road if you start out as an AO Trainee.

M1Ark

parker3693

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:02 »
Thanks.  I've posted before about being out of the biz and coming back, but now it is actually happening. 

MM1

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:18 »
You will have a much better understanding of how things "actually" work if you work your way up. As for the qual stations it varies greatly depending on the utility. At BFN once you are qualified as an AO (AUO) you only have to do a "break in" on each watch station, No further testing is required.
It will become apparent to you very quickly that experienced licensed operators (RO and SRO) are a prized commodity.
If you are willing to travel, the sky’s the limit! ;)

ranger2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:24 »
I know one guy (ex-ELT) who was hired as an NLO, but got picked up for SRO class before he finished NLO training. He takes his systems final this week and has the highest grade in the class.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:37 »
Ok let me ask it this way.  I am being told that training for NLO is 10 months.  What exaclty is involved in those 10 months?  Is this power school, A school, prototype rolled into one?  I hear its M-F 8 hours a day, but that doesnt say much.  Are you performing practical factors on day shift along with class time?  Essentially what happens in those 10 months until you are qualified as a NLO?

Offline hplynn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:00 »
I have attended AO training at four different facilities (don't ask, it's a long story) and 3 out of 4 had one thing in common: Approximately 4 months of classroom training which includes basic fundamentals, systems and admin. After that, it varied.

At ANO, it was 4 months of class with a test every Friday and a killer final. You had to be able to draw practically everything. 3 oral boards, minimum. The qual book was gigantic and each system had a knowledge signature followed by tasks. Before you could be qualified on that system, you had to ge a final signature from a SM (shift manager) which could be anywhere from a few strategic questions to another full blown check out. Took a year to get qualified. Most people took 18 months.

At Crystal River, it was about the same but much less intense. Took about 9 months to get qualified. That was a long time ago so I don't know how things have changed there.

Kewaunee, 4 months class, 2 months to finish qual card. Done in 6 months.

Oyster Creek starts off with GFES. The same fundamentals that you go through for license class but you can't bank the test score. Two year limit per NRC. I didn't qualify here, got two-thirds done and had to leave. Just couldn't afford housing on $21.22 and hour.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:35 »
AUO training programs are 1 to 2 years.

The more efficient programs have classroom periods for each watchstation, followed by plant qualification for each watchstation. In under 5 months from reporting onsite, you can be qualified your first station (and eligible for OT on the weekends). Turkey Point was set up this way, but later changed it.

The other extreme is every class up front (can be as much as 18 months) followed by onshift time. You qualify all stations together, but then have to perform breakins. It could take almost 2 years before you are eligible for OT. The classroom time includes oral boards for each group of systems (secondary, electrical, turbine, and primary (including Rx theory) at Sequoyah) and an additional board after the onshift training time.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

shayne

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:38 »
At Fermi for NLO training we did about 6 months of classroom time (Systems, GFE, Confined Space, Fire Brigade, 4-5 weeks of plant tour and admin qual time).  Once on shift it would take about 6-9 months for quals in all the rounds area (Turbine, Reactor, Outside, and Radwaste).
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 07:39 by Shayne »

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:19 »
While I whole heartedly agree the best path to take is AO 1st, to ensure you do get the proper info, if you were a EWS for 2 years then MM1 you would also qualify for Direct SRO (not likely to get it, and likely not wise give the time away).  From all that I have seen the field is wide open and growing almost daily!! If you want back in now is the time!!  I had good looks by 4/5 sites and actually got the one I wanted most. 

If you are ready now follow up with Honeycomb, he can steer you into a good opportunity now!  Also you got to remember that Civ nuke world is only like Navy in that they use nuclear power to boil water!  After that most other simularities con to an end ;)  What I am saying is I think you will find it nothing like being Navy nuke.

(if I had a lawyer he would make me add this)
Short legal disclaimer: I have not yet started my nuke job, but will in 25 days, so my info may be suspect and subject to some excitement!!

Rob
Soon to be AO then on to SRO (if I can swing it!!, aim high baby! ;))
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

parker3693

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2007, 06:39 »
Okay, now the situation has taken a turn, and I would really appreciate some input.

It now appears that I will have my choice between taking an AO position at Fort Calhoun or at Cooper.

Being from Nebraska, the fact that Cooper is literally in the middle of nowhere doesn't particularly bother me.  I was born and raised in the middle of nowhere.

My question is which is the better place to work?  I've checked through some other threads, and Calhoun seems to have gotten glowing reviews, while Cooper has, uh, not.  However, the posts I saw on Cooper were a couple of years old.

Anyone out there who has worked at both places, please give me your opinions. 

Thanks

MM1

NucEng for Hire

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2007, 06:48 »
Indeed Fort Calhoun has a reputation as a great little plant. It is operated as OPPD's only nuke.

Cooper's operations are managed by Entergy, the second largest nuclear operator in the U.S. (and expanding). In learning the Entergy system, if in the future you are willing to move plants, it could offer you more advancement opportunities when you are ready to come off shift.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2007, 06:50 by NucEng for Hire »

Offline Ops Nub

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2007, 04:59 »
A lot of great info on the progression of an AO. How about the training and progression of HP? I am an MM1(not ELT) as well turned RCT getting out soon and looking for a job.
Jay

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:42 »
Depends on what you want to do.  As a road technician, no formal training or quals, just being able to pass a NUE test and general employee training (GET) which you get everytime you go to a plant.  No progresstion path.

If you apply for a permanent position at a nuclear plant, there is formal training for the job hired, and some progression/.
It is what it is!

parker3693

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:21 »
Well, it's been a while since I checked this thread.  Been busy.

Took a job at Cooper, moved, etc., etc.  Will finish initial NLO classroom training in a couple of weeks, then to the plant to qualify the buildings.  Outage coming in April, so that will delay quals some, but I hope to be done with the 3 buildings by early to mid-summer.  Anyone on the board coming to Cooper for the outage?

To this point, they have treated me very well at Cooper.  However, they work the NLO's, and more or less everyone else too, very hard (non-union, understaffed, other reasons, from what I have observed/heard).  But then again, after nine years in the Navy, I could do just about anything working for just about anyone as long as I can take care of my family.

I appreciate all the feedback.

MM1, a nub again

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2007, 05:44 »
Took a job at Cooper, moved, etc., etc.  Will finish initial NLO classroom training in a couple of weeks, then to the plant to qualify the buildings.  Outage coming in April, so that will delay quals some, but I hope to be done with the 3 buildings by early to mid-summer. 

I just love a story with a happy ending!  :'(

Thanks for the update, and don't be a stranger! You're part of the gang now.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

ELT1/SS/DV

« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2009, 05:19 »
MM1- How about an update?
I recently applied (last week) for an NLO position at Cooper. I have not heard anything yet.
I have been out of the game for a while (EAOS 6/01) and find my self strangely drawn back in.

Let me know how your career has progressed at Cooper, what you would recommend etc.

Also, I plan on traveling to the area in a week or two (mother in law lives in Leavenworth) and I am hoping that I can get a closer look at the plant and perhaps even meet with a hiring manager about the position.

Any information would be great, thanks!

Offline ExNuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2010, 03:36 »
I too worked at Ft. Calhoun in 1981 and it was a nice quiet little plant. I did QA Monitoring there and it was a very clean, well operated site. It IS indeed out in the middle of nowhere, unless the place has grown up, but I lived on Harney Street in Omaha and it wasn't a bad ride out...

If you're use to living in the middle of nowhere, you'll love it there!

Ex-Nuke
TomDee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?