Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Really 7 Years (Drug Use Question) honeypot

Author Topic: Really 7 Years (Drug Use Question)  (Read 14016 times)

kaosweb

Really 7 Years (Drug Use Question)
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:07 »
I have been lurking around the forums for some time.  It appears that honesty is the best policy - no argurement here.  Got a job offer that will require a "Q."

I have only one minor concern on filling out my SF86.  In the Drug use questions, it refers to 7 years.  As I am aware, a "Q" goes back 10 years, so any 7 year question should be answered with 10 years.  According to instructions from the employer I got, this question is not one of them (they specifally say on which ones to answer 10 yrs back).

My real question, in mid 1997, I let peer pressure get to me and gave marijuna a try.  It was a one time thing, and never occured again.  This is outside of 7 years, but within 10.  It seems like I should put in on my app. 

I will obviously do the right thing, will this hurt my chances if I put it (not inferring I will hide it).

Thanks...

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Really 7 Years (Drug Use Question)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:16 »
The background check only goes back and does interviews, and looks over legal records. If ya got no record of inhaling.....well, you should be able to figure it out. ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:21 »
The background check only goes back and does interviews,

or if they interview the 'right' people and the smoke-n-toke gets brought up....might want to have it on your form

Good Luck!

Cathy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:27 »
Maybe I don't understand, you want to give a 10 year answer to a 7 year question?

kaosweb

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2007, 04:58 »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  In response to Cathy, I would do such in effort for full disclosure.

I have since spoken with my recruiter, and their Security department, they counseled me to answer for the 7 years as per the question, and answer honestly if asked for more information.

This is the way I will approach the issue.

Thanks again everyone.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2007, 08:09 by kaosweb »

allforthenukie

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:03 »
You weren't convicted of drug use or possession. You didn't have a positive drug test. Just tried it one time, just one time, ten years ago and never messed with it again? I wouldn't even bother mentioning it.

vikingfan

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:17 »
 If theres no record of it happening it didn't happen !

:) :)

kaosweb

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:45 »
Thanks for the last set of encouraging words.  I am very excited about the oppurtunity. I tend to have a worry wort side to my personality and sometimes turns things into bigger isses than they sometimes are.

Thanks again.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2007, 10:18 »
Not tell'n you to disclose it or omit it, I always leave those types of decisions to the individual - do what you think is right - but if you do disclose it please update us all on the ramifications, if any.

Good luck
Eric Bartlett
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:41 »
There are no ramifications if you disclose a casual use.  You are basically told not to do it again and that any further use can cause you to lose your clearance and your job.  I think most investigators are more likely to think someone is lying if they disclose they never did it.  Of course like I said before, if you change your subsequent update to say you did it when previously you have said you did not,  you may lose your job and clearance.  I have seen someone lose their job over that. I say if it says 7 years then go 7 years, If they ask longer then answer truthfully.  Also keep your original Q paperwork and go by it always. If you are afraid that you can not keepyour story straight:)( some of us get senile or think putting done smoking pot will not hurt us when we admit 20 years later.  Be assured it will.)  also good reference for adresses phone numbers for next time.  Also remember your Q could require or change to one that requires a lie detector test or you may want a job that requires this.  This will help you be upright and not scared to take this test when being perfectly honest.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:44 »
hail yes, tell 'em da truth.  i'd bet a paycheck (well, maybe $20) that there'll be no repercussions from it, udder than gitting told to not do it any more.  they may random you a bit more often than some udders, but it all pays da same, long's da stream is clean.  'n don't dew it no moor!  but telling dem ya hit a joint 10 years ago ain't nutting!  ina course of a year, dat interviewer 'n field agents are gonna look at more serious felons than all the screen writers in lala land can put on the screen in a decade.  yer peanuts is so small.............fergitabout it!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

kaosweb

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:20 »
SloGlo - GO STILLIRS! and yea I always had full intentions of telling the truth, as I said earlier, I called my employeer to be for advice on the issue.

thenukeman - thanks for the tip.  I agree that being honest is the way to go, and keep things straight in the future.  I plan to keep my papers as you suggested. 

I will keep you all posted on what if anything happens.  I plan to answer the question as it asks (for 7 years), and be honest if asked any further questions.  I dont see any issues with that, I am answering honestly at all times.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2007, 07:26 by kaosweb »

Offline Simple Country HP

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:38 »
Tell them the truth but play by their rules. If it says 7 years go for 7 years. Don't volunteer information you are not asked for. On the other hand be TOTALLY HONEST... do not get cute! If it is within 7 years not inhaling still counts!

When I did my Q clearance I was asked whether I smoked marijuana within the last 7 years and said no. However I had tried it in college about 20 years ago. When I was later interviewed by the investigator (part of the process) I was asked if I had ever smoked it and I said yes. The investigators response then was to go back to the 7 year question and ask... Were you honest when you answered this question? I said yes.

I was told not to do it and signed a paper that I understood that. I got my Q.

kaosweb

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:46 »
Thanks Simple Country, this is the same approach I intend to use.  Thanks...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?